Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68853 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
RedBenson:

Smh! Everyone is now a 2:1 graduate. We are still hanging up on the same lies our parents used to tell us...always claiming they used to take 1st in class.
Lolzzzzzzzzzzz... Abi nah!
what else are we going to do?
Though you have a point, but why the lie
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by wi5dom(m): 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
idee91:
Y=a+bx where
A= Gods grace
B= ur effort( 3rd class, 2:2, 2:1, 1st class)
Y= Employment
Therefore, the bigger a+bx is, the better ur chances of employment.

why u no define x na broda statistician.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ojaydedon(m): 3:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: don't forget that heaven helps those who help themselves
abeg i never see dat quote for bible before... grin
Olutola88: don't forget that heaven helps those who help themselves
abeg i never see dat quote for bible before... If u were able to help urself, dere will be no need for heaven to help u na... Wat do u think favour and grace means?? U dint work for it, but u still receivd it..
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Skimpledawg(m): 3:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
danduchi: OP....I kw plenty people who finished with 2.2 and third class and are working in first class office.O boy shine your eyes,its either God helps you with ur first class or 2.2 or else you need to know somebody who knows another person who is married to that person and younger brother to the person who is a friend to the employer...in simple word,you need long leg
Some nairalanders bn hitting d nail @ d head since time immemorial* nice 1 bro!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ibangs(m): 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nice piece of write up by @op.

A lot of people seems to refute with @op point of view, probably because some seems to contradict being gain fully employ in corporate organizations on merit and being successful in life through other several means.

Well, its all feel good to graduate with good grade regardless if you will use it in quest for job or not, one can't argue that.

@op make a vital point in one of his replies that "everyone can't be an entrepreneur" and in sharp contrast, everyone can't be an employee as well. One should consider his advice on making @ least 2.1 if he/she would love to make it to corporate organization(employee) and doesn't have the so called "long legs" knowing that 1st class and 2.1 is basically the required grade before invited for test/interview.

However, having said that, the point I want to make very clear is that everyone be it 1, 2.1, 2.2, 3, p or ca, has great potential to excel @ any length he desire if he desire it badly. The sky is widely open to accommodate everyone @ any height, so instead of wallowing in self pity and feel mortify about your grade(below 2.1), you can either upgrade yourself(professional Certification or Msc) and re-seek employment or become an entrepreneur. Billgate once remark "I fail my exam in some subjects but my friend passed, now he's an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner".

So its all depends on what you truly desire. There's no limitation whatsoever to your success in life(your result is the very least of all). The key to it, is with you and no one can unlock it except, YOU! YOU!! YOU!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax: : OP never said:
1. You can not be successful in life without a 2.1 or first class
2. You can not get a job without 2.1 or 1st class
3. God's grace is not needed in the job market
4. Only dull people make less than a 2.1
5. Success in life is a function of what grade you make.
Rather, OP said:
1. Making a 2.1 or 1st class improves your chances of getting a job in the corporate world.
2. Corporate Organizations are constantly seeking graduates with 2.1 or 1st class.
3. Making a 2.1 in University is not rocket science. Just be diligent and hardworking (which I earlier disagreed with cos my school makes it look like rocket science)
What OP wrote is clear and it is a fact. Many of you that are coming up with the "Only God gives Job", "Educational qualification doesn't correlate to success in life" rhetoric are clearly missing the point and should go read OP's post again. If you think what OP said is not true or not fact-based kindly make your own post that can be as informative and clear as that of OPs.
Acidosis:
and I'm saying:

1. If our government is mentally and technically okay, corporate organisations wouldn't be mocking our hard earned degrees. What is it about corporate organisations? What can they offer?

I agree with you to a certain level but I doubt if they are mocking our degrees. If you notice, the 2:1/1st class thingy is a criteria for fresh graduates. If you don't have it, then show that you have the skills through certifications or what have you. Honestly, 2:1/1st class just gives you a foot into the door. they don't help you keep the job. Corporate Organizations know that. Btw, many degrees in Nigeria are not "hard earned" in my opinion (I guess that is another discussion for another day)

Acidosis:
2. Corporate organisations wouldn't be seeking ONLY 1st class & 2-1 degrees if we push our government to do the right thing.

Are you suggesting that government should pass a legislation that bans all job adverts specifying only 2:1 and 1st class? What do you think is the right thing that government should do? To change the hiring policies of corporate organizations?

Acidosis:
Note: these organisations aren't after the 1st class/2-1 per se; rather they want a "microscopic few" from a large population which the government has failed to engage.

I agree with you on that and personally I don't see any harm in "poaching" the microscopic few (assuming we can refer to the millions off 2:1's and 1st class graduates as microscopic.). Companies around the world do that. Google, Microsoft, facebook etc... They look for the "microscopic few" (that are skilful though)
Acidosis:
If you think organisations are after 2-1, I urge you to wait till 2017/2018.

Please what is happening then. I am genuinely interested in knowing.

Acidosis:
We shouldn't be preaching unhealthy competition when the available resources is enough to feed all and generations to come.

The life of the average Nigerian graduate is not in the hands of corporate organisations; but our government.

Everybody cannot make first class degrees; but ALL deserve good jobs.

I agree with you on that perfectly. The economic should be diversified to the extent that even a WAEC certificate should earn you a honest and respectable living. Thanks for making good and opposing points not just repeating the "Education level doesn't determine success in life" rhetoric.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2014
ojaydedon: abeg i never see dat quote for bible before... grin abeg i never see dat quote for bible before... If u were able to help urself, dere will be no need for heaven to help u na... Wat do u think favour and grace means?? U dint work for it, but u still receivd it..
"Heaven helps those who help themselves" is not in the bible... Rather by our strength shall no man prevail.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by crackhouse(m): 3:15pm On Sep 11, 2014
@OP, seeking for 1st class and others in a Job advert doesn't mean they are all brains. the truth is that, they just wanna reduce the number of applicants due to high number of and that's all.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
am also of the belief that, the course one studied in school plays a major advantage in landing a job.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Skimpledawg(m): 3:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
Oga, ah dn PM yu o! Ah do nid dah link plz...am a batch C corps memba tu! Tnx boss
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olajumokeee: 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
I read sometimes here on nairaland where a particular 1st class graduate was complaining of unemployment after d whole assurance of gettin employed on attainin a 1st class after graduation.
Well,getting employed is based on God's grace.dahs all undecidedI
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pystar: 3:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
2.1 or higher is good, being self reliant is better. The owner of nairaland didn't even graduate, yet we are here......

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by modo1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
would there be jobs if everyone had a 2.1??
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
Aggrippa: Bro do you want OP to hear wen by force? must everyone hear wen before they succeed? you need to change your attitude! developed nations did not become developed with these kinds of sour attitude! e.g hoarding ideas, technical knowledge, how to and get ahead tips and opposing, supressing and criticising the works of those under you!

OP is here feeling ontop of the world because of a classof degree,in a funny course,abi u sef neva hear wen
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
OpYzo: hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strivthatvregard bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks
Jobberman Well if only you'll like to work for a cleaning service firm.

You would need to narrow your search and make do with other good job ad sites. Naira land job section would be a good start, but with the arrogant mods there except obynoscopy, its just a gossip section.

Don't relent, walk round, drop your CV, infact litter it everywhere coy that grant you entry and those that regard you as spy, drop at their security post till you start seeing 'bolee' and corn roasters start using it to wrap sold corn or bolee.

I wish you all the best 2.1. cool
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by celeron40(m): 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
Opetech:
Greatest UITE. I also finished from UI, Biochem April, 2014. Presently serving, Batch B '14. It's nice meeting you.
Same here bro....Gr8test Gbabgba! Gr8test Gbogbo! Greatest Jewon! Gr8tst shiwon!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 3:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
ojaydedon: : abeg i never see dat quote for bible before... grin abeg i never see dat quote for bible before... If u were able to help urself, dere will be no need for heaven to help u na... Wat do u think favour and grace means?? U dint work for it, but u still receivd it..

Joy83:
"Heaven helps those who help themselves" is not in the bible... Rather by our strength shall no man prevail.

[size=13pt]The Bible also said [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Timothy%202:15&version=AMP]"Study to show yourself approved..." [/url]. Thank God for his Grace that enables us to study harder and make better results. Let us not misappropriate the Grace and Mercy of God.[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Mjjordan(m): 3:24pm On Sep 11, 2014
can someone with a 3.0cgpa in 200l make it out of a federal uni with 2.1?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
With recent societal ills, you would find it amazing to see a 2.1 graduate end application letter with yours lovely embarassed
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Acidosis(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax:

I agree with you to a certain level but I doubt if they are mocking our degrees. If you notice, the 2:1/1st class thingy is a criteria for fresh graduates. If you don't have it, then show that you have the skills through certifications or what have you. Honestly, 2:1/1st class just gives you a foot into the door. they don't help you keep the job. Corporate Organizations know that. Btw, many degrees in Nigeria are not "hard earned" in my opinion (I guess that is another discussion for another day)

Are you suggesting that government should pass a legislation that bans all job adverts specifying only 2:1 and 1st class? What do you think is the right thing that government should do? To change the hiring policies of corporate organizations?

I agree with you on that and personally I don't see any harm in "poaching" the microscopic few (assuming we can refer to the millions off 2:1's and 1st class graduates as microscopic.). Companies around the world do that. Google, Microsoft, facebook etc... They look for the "microscopic few" (that are skilful though)

Please what is happening then. I am genuinely interested in knowing.

I agree with you on that perfectly. The economic should be diversified to the extent that even a WAEC certificate should earn you a honest and respectable living. Thanks for making good and opposing points not just repeating the "Education level doesn't determine success in life" rhetoric.

Good points.
By 2017/2018, we would be experiencing another trend of employment. Some Corporations would start demanding for 1st Class transcripts; and scrutinizing grades according to core & elective courses only for those below the age of 21.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Truth234(m): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
Kagawa:

I BEG TO DIFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strategy and plan that aids in navigating to the top of class just to get 2'1 or 1 is not the same as THAT BY WHICH ONE CAN MAKE IT IN GLOBAL BUSINESS WORLD.

YOUR COMMENT IS NULL AND VOID, BUT I DO NOT BLAME YOU FOR YOU CAN ONLY SPEAK AS YOU UNDERSTAND AND CHATTER WHAT YOUR MIND CAN FATHOM.

GO TO ALABA, COMPUTER VILLAGE, TRADEFAIR, BALOGUN, THOSE MEN DO BUSINESS EVERY DAY WORTH BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WITH CHINA, TAIPEI, HONG KONG, UNITED STATES, VIETNAM, JAPAN, GERMANY.... THE WORLD LEADING BUSINESS COUNTRIES. THEY DO NOT HAVE 2'1 OR 1, YOU ARE HERE TALKING ABOUT 2'1 AND STRATEGY AND GLOBAL BUSINESS... YOU DON'T KNOW JACK.

Coming from someone who doesn't know me wow!. A First class or 2:1 graduate won't approach this argument like you did, how many of those traders are top rated business men in a global context. I am not talking about people that have relegated themselves to just providing daily bread and meeting family responsibilities, I am talking about making a global contribution.

Now statistically, can you prove that these traders all together worth billions of dollar, stop misleading people and lets be objective. Jack Ma, Mark Zuckerbeg, Elon Musk, Larry Ellison, Sergy, Larry Page etc, were able to conquer the world because they live in a different world from ours.

In our world, you can be comfortable without education and people will exaggerate it because of the level of poverty in the land but you cant be Dangote, Otedola, Mike Adenuga and Abdulsamad Rabiu without good education because that is how this society is structured. They won't give you your space unless you want to be a local champion.

For your information, those traders you mentioned collectively do not worth Billions of dollars. Please stop exaggerating, they are comfortable in our society but we need more than that to be reckoned with in business world, we need people like Chinedu Echeruo, that can make the world pay attention to us.

These traders are the reason our unemployment rate is increasing because they just don't have the initiative to build global brands that can employ more people. Am sure the biggest trader among them do not have more than 100 employees. So what are we saying?

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
TobiAruna: Bro pls wat course did u study wat of some one who studied an Agric course like soil sci nd land mgt and graduate with 1st class is it easy For the person to get gud jobs from multinational?
why not. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that many good companies out there are just looking for smart and trainable individuals that can work excellent well in teams and deliver stupendous results for the company. let me relieve you by telling you that I'm also a graduate of Agriculture. what if I tell you that I assist people in business and social sciences with their projects, I write business proposals for people, I write advert proposals for people, I write, I communicate excellently well, I manage people very well, I Lead, plan and organize impressively and I could be very innovative and creative.

once you are useful, then the sky will be your beginning. companies are not looking for liabilities, all they want is asset and they are ready to pay you hundreds of thousands for the services you will render.

so far, I haven't applied to any Agric firm. I've been applying to consultancy firms, Banks, Fast Moving Consumer Goods etc and I've been doing excellently well at the recruitment stages.

once one has a 2,1, build an impressive CV, apply for as many jobs as possible cos your 2.1 will give you that privilege, learn how to pass aptitude tests, read about interview ethics, how to ace at Assessment centres and go in there to tell ur interviewer or employer what that he will never regret hiring. speak with confidence, look straight into the eyes of your interviewers, let them no you have a whole lot to ofeer but while you are doing all these, make sure you don't sound arrogant.

before and after you do all these, kneel down and tell baba God twale, tell HIM that you are a numbskull in HIS site, surrender yourself completely to him and KINGS will bow before you.

pardon me for any typo cos I have a lot of people to attend to.
thanks
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
Freelancer00: not everyone can become and enterprenuer

ye i know but if bank were willing to give loans to entrepreneur, there will be more start ups who can employ all graduates. The companies will be a lot ur grade will matter no more, just ur degree is okay. tongue
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by juanmiguel: 3:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
OpYzo: hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strived harder but dats bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks
jobbernan? Lol! Try joblistnigeria.com or
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hardwork including out of class talents and skills and God's favours are what one need to excel.Always aim at the best it always pays. I aimed at making first class, but made a very strong 2:1(4.45), I believed that God alone can position me .I did not know a single person in NNPC, but I was employed by them after two years of service, many of my colleagues are like that.Integrity and merit still exist.Make the best you can, God will do the rest.Am now 2 years working with the co- operation. God will see you through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Joy83:
Lolzzzzzzzzzzz... Abi nah!
what else are we going to do?
Though you have a point, but why the lie

The question should be best answered by you. Abi are you not the one who initiated the supposed lies of graduating with 2:1?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 3:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
crackhouse: @OP, seeking for 1st class and others in a Job advert doesn't mean they are all brains. the truth is that, they just wanna reduce the number of applicants due to high number of and that's all.
that's why we need to advise the younger ones to put in their best if they don't wanna be part of those that will be screened even before applying. THOSE THAT WILL HEAR WILL HEAR
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tobybasten(m): 3:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: why not. I'm sure you are aware of the fact that many good companies out there are just looking for smart and trainable individuals that can work excellent well in teams and deliver stupendous results for the company. let me relieve you by telling you that I'm also a graduate of Agriculture. what if I tell you that I assist people in business and social sciences with their projects, I write business proposals for people, I write advert proposals for people, I write, I communicate excellently well, I manage people very well, I Lead, plan and organize impressively and I could be very innovative and creative.

once you are useful, then the sky will be your beginning. companies are not looking for liabilities, all they want is asset and they are ready to pay you hundreds of thousands for the services you will render.

so far, I haven't applied to any Agric firm. I've been applying to consultancy firms, Banks, Fast Moving Consumer Goods etc and I've been doing excellently well at the recruitment stages.

once one has a 2,1, build an impressive CV, apply for as many jobs as possible cos your 2.1 will give you that privilege, learn how to pass aptitude tests, read about interview ethics, how to ace at Assessment centres and go in there to tell ur interviewer or employer what that he will never regret hiring. speak with confidence, look straight into the eyes of your interviewers, let them no you have a whole lot to ofeer but while you are doing all these, make sure you don't sound arrogant.

before and after you do all these, kneel down and tell baba God twale, tell HIM that you are a numbskull in HIS site, surrender yourself completely to him and KINGS will bow before you.

pardon me for any typo cos I have a lot of people to attend to.
thanks
bros, as you have truly given a nice advice to those that still have time 2 make changes concerning their grades in schl, i think ure over-hyping this your 2.1 of a thing. Obviously it gives one an edge in applying for jobs, but ii think that there are some professional courses that won't just employ uu coz you have a 2.1 n agriculture. If you are such a guru in strategic management, y study agric now? Anyway, i don't have any problem with grades, ii just think you're making too much out of it. It's somehow myopic, it's better 2 think about how one can make a difference. You see so many 2.1 and 1st class running back for masters because the education sectors seems 2be there best bet even in my field ( engineering). Does a 2.1 n soil science( no disregard o, just an example) makes you a genius?

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
celeron40: Companies don't run like that anymore bro....This is 2014...Companies have Directors whs o are in charge of company policy and make decisions....they have rights to sack even the C.E.O should the need arise...P.L.Cs and Ltds do not run in the same manner....No sane Company with pedigree will be run by a 3rd class graduate...no matter whose son it is...It will NEVER happen..The BOT and Board Of Directors will never let it happen...NEVER.
PLCs and LTDs aren't the only employers of labour
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Mjjordan: can someone with a 3.0cgpa in 200l make it out of a federal uni with 2.1?
very possible but with a lot of hard work and don't forget to pray always
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
IIFY1: Hardwork including out of class talents and skills and God's favours are what one need to excel.Always aim at the best it always pays. I aimed at making first class, but made a very strong 2:1(4.45), I believed that God alone can position me .I did not know a single person in NNPC, but I was employed by them after two years of service, many of my colleagues are like that.Integrity and merit still exist.Make the best you can, God will do the rest.Am now 2 years working with the co- operation. God will see you through.

Why did you have to open a new account just to post this? I smell lies!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Freelancer00(m): 3:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
ikp4succes:

ye i know but if bank were willing to give loans to entrepreneur, there will be more start ups who can employ all graduates. The companies will be a lot ur grade will matter no more, just ur degree is okay. tongue
U know how bank loan works. Its risky and many Nigerians don't like taking risks. Same thing as being an entrepreneur. Most Nigerians like the easy route, that's one of our problems

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / Apply For Total E&P Undergraduate Scholarship 2015 For Nigerian Students / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.