Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68852 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hmmm,nice one OP. Pls, I want you guys to advice me,am an undergraduate in one of the fed university in the South East,like the Op said,laziness is my problem,am a fast learner,but too lazy to take my studies serious. Am going to 300l now with a CGPA of 3.26,pls guys,do u think it is still possible for me to graduate with 2.1? Am ready to work harder in my 300l and 400l. I really want to graduate with 2.1,am studying sociology. Hope for a reply soon. Thanks guys
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
asokoromadam:
I.say you go hear wen,it is not a curse.

Lol person wey get 2-1 for philosophy dey yarn dust,abi na by 1st class for sociology
Yoruba studies etc

You go hear wen angry grin
lmao. who did philosophy. u need to go back to bed bro
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by celeron40(m): 1:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Freelancer00: Someone with a 3rd class is heading his fathers company and he's doing quite well. 2. 1 or first class doesn't guarantee u poo
Companies don't run like that anymore bro....This is 2014...Companies have Directors who are in charge of company policy and make decisions....they have rights to sack even the C.E.O should the need arise...P.L.Cs and Ltds do not run in the same manner....No sane Company with pedigree will be run by a 3rd class graduate...no matter whose son it is...It will NEVER happen..The BOT and Board Of Directors will never let it happen...NEVER.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by klassic(m): 1:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
After seeing Robert Kiyosaki's book" why A& B student work for C student who owns the company, I finally decided I dont need good result to make it in life . All I need is a good plan, strong will, courage , good praying habit , the right people who need the likes of me that can see from afar and make imagination possible and loads of patience. Then first class and 2.1 can apply to do the job for me while I end up paying them peanut for good use of their big brains. grin
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Jobpostboard: 1:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
ok
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by thinezy(f): 1:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
@op the way yhu presented this topic is superb.ur defense is soo impregnable..
In fact tnk yhu for making me want to continue striving for d best
I belive by nxt year I will also b giving dis kind of testimony
Really hardwork pays!!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by epospiky(m): 1:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
Atleast 2.1 is a good result. I'm planning on achieving one. God help me.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
bejay247: Hmmm,nice one OP. Pls, I want you guys to advice me,am an undergraduate in one of the fed university in the South East,like the Op said,laziness is my problem,am a fast learner,but too lazy to take my studies serious. Am going to 300l now with a CGPA of 3.26,pls guys,do u think it is still possible for me to graduate with 2.1? Am ready to work harder in my 300l and 400l. I really want to graduate with 2.1,am studying sociology. Hope for a reply soon. Thanks guys
there is a whole lot of hope for you brother. 3.26 is very good to improve on. since you know that your weakness is laziness, the problem is half solved. try and attend all lectures, do your assignments, read everyday, ask your classmates to explain to you whatever you find difficult to comprehend, attend tutorials if need be, treat as many as possible past questions before exams and most IMPORTANTLY, ask GOD for grace. I bet you finishing with a 2.1 will be the easiest thing for you

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by celeron40(m): 1:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
bejay247: Hmmm,nice one OP. Pls, I want you guys to advice me,am an undergraduate in one of the fed university in the South East,like the Op said,laziness is my problem,am a fast learner,but too lazy to take my studies serious. Am going to 300l now with a CGPA of 3.26,pls guys,do u think it is still possible for me to graduate with 2.1? Am ready to work harder in my 300l and 400l. I really want to graduate with 2.1,am studying sociology. Hope for a reply soon. Thanks guys
I know the feeling...I also almost graduated with a 2.2...My mum's prayers saved me...the best advice I can give you is to find a reading partner...with similar goals and aspirations...it helped me a lot...he would pull me up when I was faltering iand I would do the same too for him...sometimes, we need an xtra push...if you have a 2.1 from sociology, you can do an M.Sc in any field you want and choose what line you want to tow next...God will help you..just use your final year to go into overdrive mode..it will decide the next 10 years of your life...suffer now or regret later..the choice is yours.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by chinazaekperem2: 1:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Op, I have seen a lot of successful 2.2 and 3rd class and I have seen a lot of frustrated 2.1 graduates. So what are you saying?

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
My 1st year, i'd CGPA of 2.55 lipsrsealed which is relatively low. 2nd year, my CPGA was 4.02. Can i graduate wt a strong second class upper if i put in more effort? Thanks!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2014

Dude! Do your due dilligence. We can not make an informed decision based on "I am going to 300L and I am studying Sociolgy in a Fed Uni in the South East" for the following reasons:

1. We do not know if you have a carry over course or not.
2. We do not know the grading scheme of your Uni. Is it 3.26/5.00 or 3.25/7.00.
3. We do not know the amount of courses needed for your to finish up and their respective weights.
4. We do not know if you have entered some kind of trouble with a lecturer in your department.
5. We do not know....

See, there are a lot of factors that can make you not to finish with a 2.1. So the only person that can answer that question is yourself.
Get an excel sheet, input all the courses you need to do to finish school. Fill them all up with A's and see if you finish with a 3.50 and above. If yes, then you can finish with a 2.1 idealistically. Realistically, set targets for yourself. Your destiny is in your hands bro not in the advice of a random stranger on NL. Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ehimenboy(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88:
W A G B A Y I ! ! ! ! !
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
sunnydayasaba: Well written piece, But i still think Age discrimination has also contributed to why some students don't even bother to strive to make a 2'1.

I have abt 4 friends who made strong 2'1 but bcus of age, They could hardly get a shortlisted for job test. They all got admission when they where abt 22yrs and before they could finish a 5 yrs course, They've spent abt 7yrs bcus of strick and slow shortlisting for NYSC too now there all above 30yrs. while most companies advertise jobs for a max age of 26-27yrs.

So this too dnt really motivate some people after calculating their age while in schl
When you are no more qualified for Graduate Job then you should promote yourself by advancing your academic and professional career into next level of M.sc/Professional exams !!!

There is no age limit against most postgraduate Jobs and M.Scs are toast of MNCs !
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by denitro(m): 1:42pm On Sep 11, 2014
Story
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by onojemmayahoo: 1:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.

Stop deceiving yourself with this 2.1 and first class crap.It is good,this does not determine your success in life,your ability to make it in life is your personal effort,zeal,determination for success and above all God's grace and mercy.There are many "first class" and "2.1" guys roaming the streets and still jobless.
Stop deceiving people with this errant nonesense.The richest guys around today are not first class graduates:The bill gates,Dangotes,Elumelus,Oyedepos just mention a few.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by deucelaw: 1:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
Op on point...

There is no way u are at a disadvantage when you get good grades.

It gives you a competive edge

It you finish with a 1st class, you are already a percieved genius, special preference and attention comes with it. It opens door for you..u may just need little effort to confirm to them that you have quality

It gives ur helpers no excuse to sfor failing to help....all you hear this days is..."Sorry, I wud av been able to help you if u had made a 2.1"

But in all the lesson to be learnt stems from certain questions...why shldnt you strive to finish as the best?, why wouldn't you want to be in forefront?, why shouldn't you strive to be excellent in all our dealings?..

To be much more useful and impactful to ourselves family and others, we need always be the best we can be and one of such ways paper and practical) is by getting the best grades we can possibly get..

#myquid

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Carmal90(m): 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
Pls and pls ur mobile no it is very crucial
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by chinazaekperem2: 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hmmmm, you guys don't know anything. I graduated with 2.1 but it wasn't easy, a lot of my friends with 2.1 don't have jobs till date. I remember one of my friend that graduated with 2.2, he got a job 3months after NYSC even before me. Its good to graduate with a good result, but it doesn't guarantee your success in most cases, at all.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by luvola(m): 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
2.1 is over rated in Nigeria. fact

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by scribble: 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
i havenot seen my certificate since i left school

approx. 10m / year

#church

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ehimenboy(m): 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88:
W A G B A Y I ! ! ! ! !
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
thinezy: @op the way yhu presented this topic is superb.ur defense is soo impregnable..
In fact tnk yhu for making me want to continue striving for d best
I belive by nxt year I will also b giving dis kind of testimony
Really hardwork pays!!!!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ehimenboy(m): 1:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
onojemmayahoo:

Stop deceiving yourself with this 2.1 and first class crap.It is good,this does not determine your success in life,your ability to make it in life is your personal effort,zeal,determination for success and above all God's grace and mercy.There are many "first class" and "2.1" guys roaming the streets and still jobless.
Stop deceiving people with this errant nonesense.The richest guys around today are not first class graduates:The bill gates,Dangotes,Elumelus,Oyedepos just mention a few.
Check his ^^ moniker, it says it all.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
deucelaw: Op on point...

There is no way u are at a disadvantage when you get good grades.

It gives you a competive edge

It you finish with a 1st class, you are already a percieved genius, special preference and attention comes with it. It opens door for you..u may just need little effort to confirm to them that you have quality

It gives ur helpers no excuse to sfor failing to help....all you hear this days is..."Sorry, I wud av been able to help you if u had made a 2.1"

But in all the lesson to be learnt stems from certain questions...why shldnt you strive to finish as the best?, why wouldn't you want to be in forefront?, why shouldn't you strive to be excellent in all our dealings?..

To be much more useful and impactful to ourselves family and others, we need always be the best we can be and one of such ways paper and practical) is by getting the best grades we can possibly get..

#myquid
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sherbol: 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
In addition to graduate with atleast 2.1, u ve to b skillful. any skill(s) that will give you an edge over other 2.1 graduates. even 2.1 is highly competitive. above all, pray n fast.because it is only God in his infinte mercies dat provide job. am a 2.1 graduate of economics 4m university of lagos.age dealt with me while searching for job bt in the end I thank Almighty Allah. Insha Allah, am gainfully employed now,married with 2 beautiful girls,am happy n I thank Almighty Allah(rolling on the floor giving thanks to God). Your own thanksgiving is near, Insha Allah!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 2:00pm On Sep 11, 2014
Ehimenboy:
W A G B A Y I ! ! ! ! !
oshe padi mi
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
asokoromadam:
I.say you go hear wen,it is not a curse.

Lol person wey get 2-1 for philosophy dey yarn dust,abi na by 1st class for sociology
Yoruba studies etc

You go hear wen angry grin
Bro do you want OP to hear wen by force? must everyone hear wen before they succeed? you need to change your attitude! developed nations did not become developed with these kinds of sour attitude! e.g hoarding ideas, technical knowledge, how to and get ahead tips and opposing, supressing and criticising the works of those under you!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Consultville(m): 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
It's good to finish with good grades...
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Hemanwel(m): 2:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: bro, if you read my post well you will know that I'm forever loyal to my Creator, The Beneficient, The Merciful, The Mighty, The Just, The Wise, The All-knowing, The Majesty, The King, The comforter, The compassionate, The maker, The designer, The sustainer, The bestower, The kind, The reliever, The pardoner, The reckoner, The guardian.... i don't even know name to call my God again. I'm not an atheist and I'll never be one for I know nothing without the permission of my maker, I amount to nothing without HIM. I thank you LORD for the gift of Life
But your creating this thread is suggesting that it's your 2.1 that's probably opening doors of employment opportunities for you.
A friend told me this past weekend that his friend (who has a 2.1 like you do too from Unilag),now works in an organization in which,they not only pay her poorly,but also send her all sorta errands,including asking her to sweep the office.This is a young,beautiful,and highly intelligent girl oh!
Thank God you realize that the glory belongs to God sha!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Heamah: 2:10pm On Sep 11, 2014
danduchi: OP....I kw plenty people who finished with 2.2 and third class and are working in first class office.O boy shine your eyes,its either God helps you with ur first class or 2.2 or else you need to know somebody who knows another person who is married to that person and younger brother to the person who is a friend to the employer...in simple word,you need long leg

You either didn't read the OP's post or you didn't understand what you read

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Ad4(m): 2:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
Goodafternoon all. I took time to read most of the post on this topic. OP, you are right in most things you talked about but one thing I will never agree with you is your saying that "what you leave school with determines what you get in life."What you will be in life far outweights your certificate. Your certificate is a piece of paper compaired to what your potential in life is.
My MD graduated with HND, civil engineering YABATECH, worked hard and developed himself. As we speak, he is an authority in Water and Sanitary Engineering. Your potential matters alot in life. Your landing a good job does not depend on your grade in school but your ability to perform when it matters most. 2.1 grades are on the streets while 2.2 grades are getting jobs because of their ability to perform when it matters most.
Some 2.1 grades don't even get a chance in those big corporations you listed because of the long queues. I did alot of test in oil and gas companies when I graduated and nothing came out of it. Many even decide to run abroad to get Msc in oil and gas to increase their chances of employment.
In the labour market what you need is God's favor!I work as a Consulting Civil Engineer, I never believed I could get this far. I have done very big budget projects but while I was in the university, my course adviser never mentioned my name. As we speak, an executive director asked me if I could take a job as an assistant Project Manager in the IT firm he works for because I do basically contract management. He said his firm prefers people from the construction industry to take such roles. Look most of my mates who graduated from Oxford University don't have the kind of opportunity I have.
Lesson to be learnt: work very hard, aim for the bestest, be focused and always know that no man has ever become great without a supernatural intervention-hold on to God. Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / Apply For Total E&P Undergraduate Scholarship 2015 For Nigerian Students / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.