Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,853 members, 7,956,212 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:54 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (70203 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ReLaTE(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
connection is the main thing in nigeria brother.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
israeloliver: if u trust in 2.1 or first class, you may end up having two cars and 4bedroom flat all your life........if u have the grace of God, you can be a billionaire
don't forget that heaven helps those who help themselves. and did you read my post well at all, didn't you see the emphasis I laid on the role God Almighty will in our success even after finishing with good grades

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Project400: 12:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
Acidosis: Unless the government stops the excess and unecessary funding to public tertiary institutions; 2-1 would soon be of no value.

The number of graduates is simply TOOOOO much. The number of graduates out-weighs the job openings in town.

Before you start grinning over some 2-1 in Nigeria, remember others are out there in a better country studying to get the same good job you're struggling for.

While it is good to tell ALL graduates to get 1st class and 2-1 grades; remember to inform your Local Government Chairmen, your governors and your parents to create jobs; so you don't end up in frustration.

There is nothing special about a graduate or a 2-2 or 2-1 graduate anymore. We are no longer in the '80s. Those who love competition, gamble and luck should keep trying. God might remember y'all someday.

In summary, graduates and their grades aren't the problem; your government is. Stop f00ling the people! Stop giving your elected thieves more reasons to siphon your funds while they bless you with undue and id.iotic competitions. There is nothing corporate about receiving 100,000 resumes from graduates because of 50 teller jobs. It is sheer stu.pidit.y. Even the executives know this fact.
#Informative

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
ReLaTE: connection is the main thing in nigeria brother.
it is overemphasized and it makes our youths make a fool of themselves. a lot of people succeed in Nigeria with God and hard work. If you trust God and believe in your abilities, KINGS will bow before you
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
OP first all is very clear that your post is a strong warning to those concerned...TIMES have changed...OP repeat after me TIMES have changed, TIMES of PARENTS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFER FROM CONTEMPORARY TIMES OF YOUTHS OF PRESENT. tHE issue now is that your daft clueless country led by daft leaders bereft of even a mustard seed of intelect have failed to plan. Bro so many Phds, Masters, bachelors holders presently with no where to work! now tell me why somebody will be jubilating after securing a visa to leave the country for studies and possibly work? you are talking of 2.1 and first class having a career and a future only. what about the 2.2, and the others the you want them to just go and die? well you are right all the same considering the fact that the country is hard enough favoring only the survival of the fittest and better competitor.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by luvola(m): 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
femi4: Your 2.1 is a waste if you are above 27
bro tell the op. Certain variables are affecting graduates thereby affecting their inability to secure job. I know of alot of genius in my department back then that age discrimination is affecting them right now including my humble self.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Marv650(m): 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
wet in concern me with GP...... still on 4.90
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by dada01(m): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: OpYzo, remove your email address to avoid mny unnecessary mails. I've sent you a mail

Imagine the spirit of Africa (crab spirit) you see a door of opportunity, u entered and put the door under locks and key.

Na only you suffer pass?

How would u move forward.
Mtceeeeew.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by damzy88: 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax:

Your post was informative but permit me to ask, which Federal University did you graduate from that those who don't have a solid academic background graduate with a 2.1. In my school, those type of people would barely survive the first year.
I have a solid academic background (All distinctions in WAEC with a couple of good Maths Olympiad performances), I am quick at learning, I work hard and I managed to finish with a 3.56 (was never on a 2.1 until my last semester). I am also a product of a federal University not just any Federal University. GREAT IFE!

Bro Studied Economics in Ife and you?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Temmy50(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Nice write up bro!! All u said is true @ least 2 ur own knowledge..but m nt in total support or lemme say I dnt agree totaly wif what u said...Fine,it's a very gud thing 2 finish wif a gud result in skul and it gives u a gud edge ova odas but in actual fact,it doesn't...

I believe what u study or d degree u get in skul doesn't determine what u'l become..I was surprised while readin oda people's comment and sum1 said it's only d unfortunate or failures dat get below 2:1...Now if dey r d unfortunates,den pls if u can,tru 2 make a research of successful people we hear about 2day globally and not about sum1 wu can just boast of a few millions..I mean d likes of wole soyinka,dangote,bill gates and co and u'l knw it's not about ur degree in skul but d ideas u can offer..sum1 said sumfin and I totally agree,he said,"it's not about ur certificate but it's about ur SABIficate"...

So if u fall in2 d category of less dan 2:1..do not relent..do not loose hope..press 4ward and believe God is always dere 4 u and work hard!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Acidosis(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Aggrippa: OP first all is very clear that your post is a strong warning to those concerned...TIMES have changed...OP repeat after me TIMES have changed, TIMES of PARENTS SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFER FROM CONTEMPORARY TIMES OF YOUTHS OF PRESENT. tHE issue now is that your daft clueless country led by daft leaders bereft of even a mustard seed of intelect have failed to plan. Bro so many Phds, Masters, bachelors holders presently with no where to work! now tell me why somebody will be jubilating after securing a visa to leave the country for studies and possibly work? you are talking of 2.1 and first class having a career and a future only. what about the 2.2, and the others the you want them to just go and die? well you are right all the same considering the fact that the country is hard enough favoring only the survival of the fittest and better competitor.
Loll
Thanks for this piece.

Our graduates love the way they queue in thousands waiting for one interview from someone who probably got his job without stress & undue competition.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ollapaul(m): 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
NESTLE is the best when talking about employment processes transparency.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
damzy88: . please I need your email address. Thanks
kindly send me a pm
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Mekyno(m): 12:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
i hear u, i know am nt intelligent. congrat on ur strong 2:1.
Y didnt u make d topic, 'y u all MUST graduate with a least 1st class (or above dat sef)'? Will every 1 make first class or 2:1? Mayb u didnt attend 'tough varsity' or u didnt meet witches n wizards dat manifestd as lectures or u didnt encounter oda rough unenabling conditions.
I dnt want to talk to u sef, u b small pikin wee never see any tin in labour mkt/life.
Gudluk shaa.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ceeethru(m): 12:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
strong 2.1 and lazy 2.1, what's the difference? 2.1 is 2.1. Most companies in nigria now, they believe in what you carry inside (your skill). I don't believe propaganda. Howeva, do you know how many people who corruptably graduate with 2.1? Who knows yours.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
Omadachi: True talk OP.You are very correct.I graduated with 2.1 and even while still serving as a corper i started receiving invitation for interview.After my NYSC within few months i got invitation from these organizations;Exxon,chevron,Zenith bank,First bank,LNG etc.I couldn't believe it.All these came my way without any connection.Am presently working with a multinational company.

However,that's not to say people who graduated with lesser grade will not get job in a good company just that the numbers of jobless graduate are increasing on daily basis and most employer will want to use certain criteria to stream down the numbers.
these are the kinds of stories I love to hear. CONGRATULATIONS bro

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by adeagboadedapo(m): 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
Pls I need urgent ans...is mtn subscription on blackberry unlimited and if is not au mny mb or gb.tanks.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
Project400:
#Informative
exactly you said my mind...if you check my post and compare with yours you find some semblance
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88: If you read my post well, you will see that I said this piece is mainly for those that do not have solid network. At the same time, a 2.1 or 1st class can guarantee you a job offer in a good company even without knowing anyone there. I also gave examples of my friends that got job offers even before the end of NYSC strictly on merit. One of them got the offer 3 weeks ago and the other got it 5 days ago
OGA i need link on how to start applying for jobs and getting invite.i also need a template of how to prepare my cv (or resume) and any materials that will aid in job interview and test. (we did not did any camping and lectures with respect to all i requested from u-stream 2 copper)
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Must you find a job why can't you start a business..

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by KunAviero(m): 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88:

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a first class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1
you did mention STRONG 2.1 in this wonderful article of yours. Is there anything like a weak 2.1? What exactly do u mean by a strong 2.1??

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
Everything for naija sef! U go see pikin wey dey 15,16 and 17years dem done begin dey find tertiary institution admission....nah wetin? Why d rush?
Thats why if persin struggle comot for school at age 27,no job for the persin,no nothing! Because the small small pikins wey dey 19,20, e.t.c don follow am graduate.
Abeg naija nah wash......thank God say nah by 22 i go graduate,why i dey rejoice sef? I no even dey sure say job go even dey for 22 yearold grads by then,maybe companies go dey demand younger grads of 17,18,19.....damn naija
maybe i just made sense.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Lordkedd(m): 12:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
Please @op, i need those links badly cos i need a job badly now and i have been hunting for. But your links I believe will also widen my search area. I sen a mail to u.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Louislewis: 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
The simply truth is this. Reasons why banks and some other companies keep on nose diving in productivity in Nigeria is this simple quest for 2.1, upper credit, or in general, using grade as yarstick for employment. It is because of this, our students of nowardays do every thing humanly possible to get it through crooked means. Our lecturers taking the advantage of this employment yarstick to encourage 2.1 business within the campuses, because it is an opportunity for them to get well paid and live a better life. The outcome of our nowardays 2.1, 1.2, 1.1, upper credit, is halve bake certificate graduates that can not defend their profession. It is not the grade that you come out with that matters, but what can you do. Thank God that some companies have started realizing this. Late Livi Ajunoma of blessed memory of NNPC once said that, "Of all the 2.1 that was invited for NNPC Test, it was only 20% that narrowly pass the test they were given" They ended up throwing the test to less graduates with less than 2.1 to have good candidates. Off all the 1.1 that GLO employed some time ago from a private university, they all performed below expectation that they were all disengaged from service within one year. The question is, of what importance is your 2.1 if you can't defend what you graduated with. Any company employing using grade as yarstick is bond to keep on failing like banks. My advise to companies especially those in technical area, is, if you went to be productive, the early you forget about grade, the better. My advise to the government or our education policy makers, is this, the early they stop this idea of displaying grades in people result or certificates, the better. Grades should end up with school records for those who want to further their education to next level. If this is done, the idea of lecturers having it in mind that students' lives are in their palms will stop. A student that knows that after a race, he or she will count miles will sit down a read his or her books. "You must defend your profession when you are out the school" Employer will get out best of the graduates because employment will be open for everybody to come a defend yourselves. With this corruption within the academic system will reduce and we will get out the best from the school.

10 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
dada01:

Imagine the spirit of Africa (crab spirit) you see a door of opportunity, u entered and put the door under locks and key.

Na only you suffer pass?

How would u move forward.
Mtceeeeew.
lmao. she was the one that needed information from me and I told her that I've sent her a mail and she should remove address to avoid getting mails from all those scammers. kindly find facts before making judgements.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ibukunobi: 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
WHAT IS 2:1. Cant we create a job?
why are we so backward?
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
ibukunobi: WHAT IS 2:1. Cant we create a job?
why are we so backward?
not all of us can be entrepreneurs, some people must work for entrepreneurs. and don't forget that entrepreneurship is not as easy as people preach, it is only for the chosen ones

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by celeron40(m): 12:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
I finished from the University of Ibadan 3 yrs ago with an Econs degree...I had a 4.7 CGPA...(From a possible 7) which is a 2.1 in U.I...But that did not guarantee anything...I had to go back for my M.Sc...still, I couldn't get a job I wanted...It was that hard...Now Oluwa has buttered my bread and I have something doing now...MORAL OF THE STORY: Anything below a 1st class, you will TREK!...even a 2.1 is not enough...I was smarter than most of my peers who finished with a 1st class, but I was too busy searching U.I grounds for free Wi-Fi than settling down to read...To all undergraduates still in the University, Work hard like mules..its the hardest you will ever work in your life...after that, you can play till you are 85...a 2.1 is the minimum.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by lonngmann(m): 12:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
Another 2.2 and 3rd class bashing thread
God help me sad

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
Well, as I always advise any undergraduate that cares to listen, it doesn't hurt to give academics your best shot. I mean, that's the main reason you're in school: to study, learn, and make a good grade. It is illogical to argue otherwise. If you have what it takes ro graduate with a 1st Class or 2.1, then by all means work hard to get it. The post-graduation advantages are worthwhile. Like the OP mentioned, you have the advantage of scaling most pre-qualification hurdles for the top companies. . . .and you get the opportunity to participate in more recruitment processes, thereby improving your chances of gaining employment ahead of your fellow graduates that finished with 2.2 or less. . . .all things being equal.

Which brings me to the crux of the matter. Unfortunately, in Nigeria, all things are hardly ever equal. I wouldn't go into the pros and cons of graduating with a 2.1 or not, but it suffices for me to say that it is more important to be smart than to put all your hopes and dreams on a certificate that is increasingly worth less than the paper it is printed on these days.

Apart from the problem of nepotism, which is on a scale that is immeasurable, there is the simple problem of sheer demand and supply. Let's face it: there are simply not enough jobs to go round for the millions of new graduates churned out yearly. However, except for a few exceptional cases where organisations require competent hands to run critical operations, I have found that waving your 1st Class or 2.1 degree hardly puts you in a better position than the others in the labour market. In an ideal world, having a good grade should be a competitive advantage in a saturated labour market. In Nigeria, unfortunately, this is often not the case because of our socio-cultural and attitudinal peculiarities.

A person can get ahead by being smart - crafty and scheming if you like. While you're burning the midnight oil studying GMAT to prepare for a Procter & Gamble aptitude test (for which only candidates with a minimum of 2.1 were invited), someone else with a 3rd Class has discovered that one of the company's biggest distributors worships at a particular church, and has devised a plan to trail him (or his wife) and regale him with tales of woe about how he is an orphan and has been jobless for years. You'll be surprised to find this 3rd Class degree holder pushed into P&G through the back door if he or she makes a strong enough impression on their influential target, while you end up not getting the job in spite of your 2.1. I personally know a few people who have secured fantastic jobs (and contracts) through such ingenious methods - by playing on influential people's sentiments, even without prior relationships with such persons. This is just one example of what I mean by smartness. From my experience, it is often more effective than one's 1st Class or 2.1 in many cases. This is unfortunate, but it is the reality on ground in this jungle called Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tempex88(m): 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
All consulting firms recruit round the year. though there is one period in the year they do their major recruitment. please ensure you apply to them while serving. they will sure invivte you for a test. Same with banks
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2014
Am 20 and one of those students in school that are not pursuing a high G.P but rather use the school setting to promote my Startup and get more links #YoungEntrepreneurs

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Zainab Aliyu Completes NYSC (Photos) / List Of Illegal Universities Closed Down By NUC- July 2019 / Nigerian University With The Best Hostel Facilities?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.