Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,973 members, 7,814,307 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (68858 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
Sijioke: Getting a job is not by first class, or second class upper.. It is by the grace of God.. I wonder why an illiterate would be a party chairman. And he would keep telin first class folks who are day dreaming of employment that he his more successful than them.. And u knw wat.. He is really saying the truth.. May God help us.

Define success . That is the problem I have with Nigerians , success only relates to how much you have , a lot of Nigerians would say Michael Angelo wasn't successful if they knew he died a pauper.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 2:18pm On Sep 11, 2014
Ad4: Goodafternoon all. I took time to read most of the post on this topic. OP, you are right in most things you talked about but one thing I will never agree with you is your saying that "what you leave school with determines what you get in life."What you will be in life far outweights your certificate. Your certificate is a piece of paper compaired to what your potential in life is.
My MD graduated with HND, civil engineering YABATECH, worked hard and developed himself. As we speak, he is an authority in Water and Sanitary Engineering. Your potential matters alot in life. Your landing a good job does not depend on your grade in school but your ability to perform when it matters most. 2.1 grades are on the streets while 2.2 grades are getting jobs because of their ability to perform when it matters most.
Some 2.1 grades don't even get a chance in those big corporations you listed because of the long queues. I did alot of test in oil and gas companies when I graduated and nothing came out of it. Many even decide to run abroad to get Msc in oil and gas to increase their chances of employment.
In the labour market what you need is God's favor!I work as a Consulting Civil Engineer, I never believed I could get this far. I have done very big budget projects but while I was in the university, my course adviser never mentioned my name. As we speak, an executive director asked me if I could take a job as an assistant Project Manager in the IT firm he works for because I do basically contract management. He said his firm
prefers people from the construction industry to take such roles. Look most of my mates who graduated from Oxford University don't have the kind of opportunity I have.
Lesson to be learnt: work very hard, aim for the bestest, be focused and always know that no man has ever become great without a supernatural intervention-hold on to God. Thank you.
sir, kindly show me the part of my post that pointed that what you finish with in school will determine where you will get to in life.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
Sijioke: Getting a job is not by first class, or second class upper.. It is by the grace of God.. I wonder why an illiterate would be a party chairman. And he would keep telin first class folks who are day dreaming of employment that he his more successful than them.. And u knw wat.. He is really saying the truth.. May God help us.

Define success. That is the problem I have with Nigerians , always relating success to how much money you have. A lot would say Michael Angelo wasn't successful if they realise he died a pauper
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 2:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
OP never said:

1. You can not be successful in life without a 2.1 or first class
2. You can not get a job without 2.1 or 1st class
3. God's grace is not needed in the job market
4. Only dull people make less than a 2.1
5. Success in life is a function of what grade you make.

Rather, OP said:

1. Making a 2.1 or 1st class improves your chances of getting a job in the corporate world.
2. Corporate Organizations are constantly seeking graduates with 2.1 or 1st class.
3. Making a 2.1 in University is not rocket science. Just be diligent and hardworking [s](which I earlier disagreed with cos my school makes it look like rocket science)[/s]

What OP wrote is clear and it is a fact. Many of you that are coming up with the "Only God gives Job", "Educational qualification doesn't correlate to success in life" rhetoric are clearly missing the point and should go read OP's post again. If you think what OP said is not true or not fact-based kindly make your own post that can be as informative and clear as that of OPs.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 2:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
many people didn't read my post well before commenting, and some that even read have problem of comprehension and paying attention to details. I pointed out some salient facts and that should make some people not make some unnecessary comments.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tall2ce(m): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
op in my 300l first semester I had cgpa of 3.42 den 300l second semester rised to 3.55 and now am in 400l 1st semester in lasu currently writing first semester exams @op I dey read like mad and dry tell God make he help cos state schools can be frustrating at times
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax:

Your post was informative but permit me to ask, which Federal University did you graduate from that those who don't have a solid academic background graduate with a 2.1. In my school, those type of people would barely survive the first year.
I have a solid academic background (All distinctions in WAEC with a couple of good Maths Olympiad performances), I am quick at learning, I work hard and I managed to finish with a 3.56 (was never on a 2.1 until my last semester). I am also a product of a federal University not just any Federal University. GREAT IFE!

We are in the same shoe bro... I "just" managed to cross the 2:1 hurdle at the very last attempt.... It was not EASY....
The department produced only just 1 first class and "Just" Over 25% of us made 2:1
I repeat, it was not EASY
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Truth234(m): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
klassic: After seeing Robert Kiyosaki's book" why A& B student work for C student who owns the company, I finally decided I dont need good result to make it in life . All I need is a good plan, strong will, courage , good praying habit , the right people who need the likes of me that can see from afar and make imagination possible and loads of patience. Then first class and 2.1 can apply to do the job for me while I end up paying them peanut for good use of their big brains. grin

If you have all you stated above, there is no way you wont graduate with a First Class. Successful minds are always successful no matter what you throw at them.

If you cant successfully navigate your way to First Class or 2:1 with a good plan and strategy, how can you compete in a global business world where everything is ever changing?

3 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 2:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
tall2ce: op in my 300l first semester I had cgpa of 3.42 den 300l second semester rised to 3.55 and now am in 400l 1st semester in lasu currently writing first semester exams @op I dey read like mad and dry tell God make he help cos state schools can be frustrating at times
just thank God for HE has done it for you already. you will definitely finish with a 2.1 by HIS special grace. by the time you finish with your 2.1, you will know that you have scaled the first important hurdle. you will now go to your mentor or come back to nairaland for advice on the next line of action. that is if you wanna look for job o and if you know you don't have one God father somewhere.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 2:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax:

Your post was informative but permit me to ask, which Federal University did you graduate from that those who don't have a solid academic background graduate with a 2.1. In my school, those type of people would barely survive the first year.
I have a solid academic background (All distinctions in WAEC with a couple of good Maths Olympiad performances), I am quick at learning, I work hard and I managed to finish with a 3.56 (was never on a 2.1 until my last semester). I am also a product of a federal University not just any Federal University. GREAT IFE!

taiwolusol:

We are in the same shoe bro... I "just" managed to cross the 2:1 hurdle at the very last attempt.... It was not EASY....
The department produced only just 1 first class and "Just" Over 25% of us made 2:1
I repeat, it was not EASY

I would help you repeat it bro, IT WAS NOT EASY! My class had no first class. Highest was 4.2/5.0. About half of us had an extra year and I finished in the top 10% of my class with a 3.56/5.00. We were 140 in my set. Once again, IT WAS NOT EASY!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 11, 2014
ollapaul: NESTLE is the best when talking about employment processes transparency.

I've been looking for someone to HUMBLE with KOBOKO. Don't tell me its you. #JuskJokes grin grin grin
If Nestle is the best, Nigeria is doomed!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sunnydayasaba(m): 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2014
donroxy: When you are no more qualified for Graduate Job then you should promote yourself by advancing your academic and professional career into next level of M.sc/Professional exams !!!

There is no age limit against most postgraduate Jobs and M.Scs are toast of MNCs !

Well said, but u can't rule out d pain some parents went through to see their kids through degrees and asking them to further go through more pains will not be easy when your not even sure to still get a job bcus then most employees will be requesting for unrealistic job experiences. Graduate trainee still remains the best way to get a job and if one can't get a job through that means, frustration and anger set in and motivation gets low.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
the battle is not for d swift nor d race for d quick, but time and chance...God is not a God of certificate, all fingers are not equal,it all depends on u and ur determination and God's grace...Dont blive in dat stupid post

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ibrahimbabagana: 2:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
op talks sense. i finished with 4.02, studieds agric-economics and now working with a very prolific company.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by chuggy(m): 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Mehn God dey, I no dey fight for BGS. If I see 3.51, I go happy die. D Hussle is blessed!
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by obidiegwujane10(f): 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
do u fill like giving me your number too
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Joy83: That's a great one Op,
Majority of undergraduate would think life ends in school, not knowing that what they get from school determine a lot in their lives after school.
As a strong 2'1 graduate now looking forward to MSc, even without Job, I am confident that I have enough chances to get invitations from companies. But assuming, I am a 2'2 or third class graduate, it can be more frustrating by the time one is seeing various vacancies requesting for first class or 2'1.
As at today, no company will require for first class alone, but on the other hand, most companies require for minimum of 2'1.
Lesson to undergraduate: whatever you find your hand doing, do it well with all your heard.

Smh! Everyone is now a 2:1 graduate. We are still hanging up on the same lies our parents used to tell us...always claiming they used to take 1st in class.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by cloud9usher: 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Olutola88, nice write-up, first and foremost I'd like to unequivocally agree that a 2:1 gives you an edge over the 2:2 graduates especially for shortlisting purposes. Most graduate trainee programs have a minimum of 2:1 as their requirement. But then I can tell you that for a graduate position which needs 5 people for the job, you would conveniently have up to 1,000 2:1 graduates applying, that's where the 2:1 needs something more striking to get you the job.

Now to 2:2 graduates, I'd advise folks in this category to add a proven competency other than your 2:2 grade to make you shine in the eyes of an employer. I'd use myself as an example, I polished my writing skills, my diction and communication skills. Weeks before finishing NYSC, I wrote a proposal to a top multinational firm, attached my CV and a cover letter, I got an invite for an interview, just minutes into the interview the HR manager said... "I love your diction!" ...Your proposal was an excellent idea, I just wanted to hear you talk."
And as you guessed right, I got the job! Mind you, I graduated with a 2:2

Apart from your 2:1 or 2:2, every employer respects "IDEAS" over a certificate. I have a very good job today because I sold an idea to my employer.

Another option for 2:2 graduates is to add a professional certification to your certificate to give your CV some shine, go for Internationally recognised certifications in your profession, the likes of CISA, CISCO, NEBOSH, PMP, etc. If that's far reached you can go for certification from Nigerian Institutes, the likes of ICAN, Nigerian institute of Management, Chattered institute of Personnel Management and others.

I bet you that a 2:2 with CISA or ORACLE 11g would beat a 2:1 graduate to a job. A 2:1 just gives you a better chance over the 2:2 graduates for the case of Graduate trainee programs, how many jobs do Graduate trainee programs offer? VERY FEW!

And lastly, Dear OP- Olutola88, intuitively I'd assume the "88" in your username points to your year of birth, that makes you 26 at least by the end of this year, that's a big disadvantage for most graduates even if you had a 2:1, if you are a fresh graduate and seeking for a good job in a top private firm and your age has hit 26 your chances are VERY slim. That's the sad truth, I know a lot of folks with 2:1 who have suffered from this.

My last words to everyone is this ...Hustle hard!! If you made 2:1 make sure it works for you, if you got a 2:2 acquire extra skills and competences to convince an employer that you are competent enough. All the best everyone!

14 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2014
Samcathe: Nice write up @op.

My only question here is that what about ladies who doesnt really have the ability to finish with the grade. Should they now do whatever it takes to get the grade?
Countless number of female out there with first class and 2'1. So being a female doesn't mean one can't finish with good grade. As we have female with third class or pass grade, so we have it in male.
So, gender is not an excuse to graduate with lesser grade. Even as I am, I can't marry a lady with less than good 2'1(first class preferably)...lol

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
kaka22: @op... Well done, you are on point. To make at least 2.1 is not everything, it is the only thing. The issue of connection is over-exaggerated in Nigeria. Yes, we have issues like nepotism,favouritism and connections(who you know) but that doesn't mean that there are no companies that recruit based on merit. MOST people who come out to say that 'what you have in school will not determine where and who you will be in future' are the unfortunate and the unlucky. What you have in school will surely determine who and where you will be in future. If you later establish your company/business you can be rest assured that you still have your 2.1 or first class pali(certificate) to search for work when the need arises.Yes, we have some 2.2 and third class fellows that are making it but that doesn't mean that 2.1 fellows are also not making it. I make bold to say that the percentage of 2.2 and third class jobless fellows is more than that of 2.1 and first class. Even if you won't use your 2.1 to work, still make sure you have it because you never know...

Advice for undergraduates
Avoid anybody that discourages you from graduating with 2.1 or first class. Such individual doesn't wish you well. One of the laws in 48 laws of power says that avoid the unlucky and the unfortunate.

Last bullet: Yes, 2.1 or first class is not everything but make sure you have it before saying that nonsense... grin

And at the end, you didnt even state what you graduated with. Nice point though. Just a mixer of Bs and Cs will give one that.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by winiwini: 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Guy, na wash!!!!!!! your 2.1 is useless without God's mercy

Pass with God's mercy is in LNG enjoying life....
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by pchax: 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Akpolagha: the battle is not for d swift nor d race for d quick, but time and chance...God is not a God of certificate, all fingers are not equal,it all depends on u and ur determination and God's grace...Dont blive in dat stupid post

Kindly quote a line of OP's post that says something contradictory to the highlighted above. Now whose post is the silly? Kindly improve your reading and comprehension skills.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Acidosis(m): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
pchax: OP never said:
1. You can not be successful in life without a 2.1 or first class
2. You can not get a job without 2.1 or 1st class
3. God's grace is not needed in the job market
4. Only dull people make less than a 2.1
5. Success in life is a function of what grade you make.
Rather, OP said:
1. Making a 2.1 or 1st class improves your chances of getting a job in the corporate world.
2. Corporate Organizations are constantly seeking graduates with 2.1 or 1st class.
3. Making a 2.1 in University is not rocket science. Just be diligent and hardworking [s](which I earlier disagreed with cos my school makes it look like rocket science)[/s]
What OP wrote is clear and it is a fact. Many of you that are coming up with the "Only God gives Job", "Educational qualification doesn't correlate to success in life" rhetoric are clearly missing the point and should go read OP's post again. If you think what OP said is not true or not fact-based kindly make your own post that can be as informative and clear as that of OPs.
and I'm saying:

1. If our government is mentally and technically okay, corporate organisations wouldn't be mocking our hard earned degrees. What is it about corporate organisations? What can they offer?

All things being equal, who would reject a promising government offer for a KPMG or P & G job?

2. Corporate organisations wouldn't be seeking ONLY 1st class & 2-1 degrees if we push our government to do the right thing.

Note: these organisations aren't after the 1st class/2-1 per se; rather they want a "microscopic few" from a large population which the government has failed to engage.

If you think organisations are after 2-1, I urge you to wait till 2017/2018.

We shouldn't be preaching unhealthy competition when the available resources is enough to feed all and generations to come.

The life of the average Nigerian graduate is not in the hands of corporate organisations; but our government.

Everybody cannot make first class degrees; but ALL deserve good jobs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
cloud9usher: Olutola88, nice write-up, first and foremost I'd like to unequivocally agree that a 2:1 gives you an edge over the 2:2 graduates especially for shortlisting purposes. Most graduate trainee programs have a minimum of 2:1 as their requirement. But then I can tell you that for a graduate position which needs 5 people for the job, you would conveniently have up to 1,000 2:1 graduates applying, that's where the 2:1 needs something more striking to get you the job.

Now to 2:2 graduates, I'd advise folks in this category to add a proven competency other than your 2:2 grade to make you shine in the eyes of an employer. I'd use myself as an example, I polished my writing skills, my diction and communication skills. Weeks before finishing NYSC, I wrote a proposal to a top multinational firm, attached my CV and a cover letter, I got an invite for an interview, just within minutes into the interview the HR manager said... "I love your diction!" ...Your proposal was an excellent idea, I just wanted to hear you talk."
And as you guessed right, I got the job! Mind you, I graduated with a 2:2

Apart from your 2:1 or 2:2, every employer respects "IDEAS" over a certificate. I have a very good job today because I sold an idea to my employer.

Another option for 2:2 graduates is to add a professional certification to your certificate to give your CV some shine, go for Internationally recognised certifications in your profession, the likes of CISA, CISCO, NEBOSH, PMP, etc. If that's far reached you can go for certification from Nigerian Institutes, the likes of ICAN, Nigerian institute of Management, Chattered institute of Personnel Management and others.

I bet you that a 2:2 with CISA or ORACLE 11g would beat a 2:1 graduate to a job. A 2:1 just gives you a better chance over the 2:2 graduates for the case of Graduate trainee programs, how many jobs do Graduate trainee programs offer? VERY FEW!

And lastly, Dear OP- Olutola88, intuitively I'd assume the "88" in your username points to your year of birth, that makes you 26 at least by the end of this year, that's a big disadvantage for most graduates even if you had a 2:1, if you are a fresh graduate and seeking for a good job in a top private firm and your age has hit 26 your chances are VERY slim. That's the sad truth, I know a lot of folks with 2:1 who have suffered from this.

My last words to everyone is this ...Hustle hard!! If you made 2:1 make sure it works for you, if you got a 2:2 acquire extra skills and competences to convince an employer that you are competent enough. All the best everyone!
thanks for your contribution bro. the 88 doesn't stand for my date of birth, I'm younger than you'll imagine. *winks*
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
Why Must one struggle to make 1 or 2.1 in school just to end up helping someone else achieve his dreams in d name of looking 4 job. I graduated with 2.2 all I did after my NYSC was to open a SME of my own since it has been success stories 4 me. Some of my friends with first class are still roaming d street looking 4 jobs that iSn't available.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Kagawa: 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
I didn't need to read this article in its entirety before I knew it was full of bullsh1t. It is people like you that are the reason why Nigeria is where it is.
You cannot think beyond 1st class or second class upper degrees or masters. This article is misleading. Go out there and see how many 2'1 graduates that still do not have jobs. OVER GLORIFICATION OF GRADES.

I'm sure this article will enlighten you.

https://www.nairaland.com/1898271/these-4-cases-show-why

Fine, the companies you mentioned may be hunting for 2'1s, how many are they? How many 2'1s do we have graduating every year? How many times do these companies recruit? How many people do they recruit each time?

@truth234.... wait my comment.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by NZAN(m): 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
SUMMARY: Be an entrepreneur, all this grading stuff na paper work.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by TobiAruna(m): 2:53pm On Sep 11, 2014
Bro pls wat course did u study wat of some one who studied an Agric course like soil sci nd land mgt and graduate with 1st class is it easy For the person to get gud jobs from multinational?
Olutola88: This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Opetech(m): 2:55pm On Sep 11, 2014
celeron40: I finished from the University of Ibadan 3 yrs ago with an Econs degree...I had a 4.7 CGPA...(From a possible 7) which is a 2.1 in U.I...
Greatest UITE. I also finished from UI, Biochem April, 2014. Presently serving, Batch B '14. It's nice meeting you.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Kagawa: 2:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
Truth234:

If you have all you stated above, there is no way you wont graduate with a First Class. Successful minds are always successful no matter what you throw at them.

If you cant successfully navigate your way to First Class or 2:1 with a good plan and strategy, how can you compete in a global business world where everything is ever changing?

I BEG TO DIFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strategy and plan that aids in navigating to the top of class just to get 2'1 or 1 is not the same as THAT BY WHICH ONE CAN MAKE IT IN GLOBAL BUSINESS WORLD.

YOUR COMMENT IS NULL AND VOID, BUT I DO NOT BLAME YOU FOR YOU CAN ONLY SPEAK AS YOU UNDERSTAND AND CHATTER WHAT YOUR MIND CAN FATHOM.

GO TO ALABA, COMPUTER VILLAGE, TRADEFAIR, BALOGUN, THOSE MEN DO BUSINESS EVERY DAY WORTH BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WITH CHINA, TAIPEI, HONG KONG, UNITED STATES, VIETNAM, JAPAN, GERMANY.... THE WORLD LEADING BUSINESS COUNTRIES. THEY DO NOT HAVE 2'1 OR 1, YOU ARE HERE TALKING ABOUT 2'1 AND STRATEGY AND GLOBAL BUSINESS... YOU DON'T KNOW JACK.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Infoay: 3:03pm On Sep 11, 2014
kaka22: @op... Well done, you are on point. To make at least 2.1 is not everything, it is the only thing. The issue of connection is over-exaggerated in Nigeria. Yes, we have issues like nepotism,favouritism and connections(who you know) but that doesn't mean that there are no companies that recruit based on merit. MOST people who come out to say that 'what you have in school will not determine where and who you will be in future' are the unfortunate and the unlucky. What you have in school will surely determine who and where you will be in future. If you later establish your company/business you can be rest assured that you still have your 2.1 or first class pali(certificate) to search for work when the need arises.Yes, we have some 2.2 and third class fellows that are making it but that doesn't mean that 2.1 fellows are also not making it. I make bold to say that the percentage of 2.2 and third class jobless fellows is more than that of 2.1 and first class. Even if you won't use your 2.1 to work, still make sure you have it because you never know...

Advice for undergraduates
Avoid anybody that discourages you from graduating with 2.1 or first class. Such individual doesn't wish you well. One of the laws in 48 laws of power says that avoid the unlucky and the unfortunate.

Last bullet: Yes, 2.1 or first class is not everything but make sure you have it before saying that nonsense... grin
You have done a very good job. Your contribution is valid.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by legendsilver(m): 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Good writeup op.

I want to know the difference between a 3.49cgpa and a 3.50cgpa?
Its obvious some 2.2 graduates are unlucky cause they did all their best but certain factors undermine the chances of making a 2.1.
Mind you, some firms understands this making them to drop their grade requirement to 2.2.

In essence, get a good grade and equipped yourself with more experience but kill not yourself if 2.2 or 3rd class certificate ends up in your file. Such is life and mind you, a department can't graduate all her students with a 2.1 grade. You will always find the brilliant, the dull and the runs students occupying all the grade level.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / Apply For Total E&P Undergraduate Scholarship 2015 For Nigerian Students / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.