Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,991 members, 7,814,387 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition (37045 Views)

Ways To Know Your Boyfriend Has No Future Ambition / Is Prior Behavior Is A Good Predictor Of Future Behavior? / Nigerian Women And Their Abundance Of Future Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by InvertedHammer: 9:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
\
I beg to differ.

The ladies in question actually got their priorities right.

Getting married is not an end by itself. It means that the ladies want uninterrupted progression in their lives. I will give you some examples. Okonjo iweala, Hillary Clinton, Lt. Dora Akunyili, Diezani Madueke, etc. are all married and still reached the pinnacles of their careers. Some of them are grandmothers which means that they married about the time they graduated from university.

So, getting married post graduation has no correlation with ambition. Some have it. Others do not.

And when she is single and successful, guess who would constantly berate her spinsterhood? YOU!!!!

Ask Rita Dominic, Genevieve and Linda Ikeji.
/

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by niggereyez(f): 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
Sepp360: are u tryin to tell us dat u keep "total" good company?

Anyways, u dont need to agree with her totally. Just take the reasonable and candid advice if u wish.
I didn't mention 'total' good company in my post. .
anyways wat does that mean? ??
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by thandii1: 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Therein lies the problem. Some of you think Motherhood is beans abi.
The fulfillment from MOTHERHOOD and being able to RAISE something that started as a spec of s.e.m.en is unquantifiable. The same way you are excited about your CAREER is the same way others are excited about RAISING CHILDREN. The fact that you think wanting to get married and having kids means having little to no ambition makes me question your so-called education and career interest. A KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON WOULD NEVER SAY SUCH.

MOTHERHOOD TRUMPS any rubbish career you want to make up. The only people i have respect for are the ones that DO BOTH.
If you think having a career means you have some sort of ambition or are better than women who chose to raise babies, PLEASE DO THE WORLD A FAVOUR and TEAR YOUR CERTIFICATE

Apart from the fact that You have comprehension issues, you are slow. Apparently, The ebola virus has eaten deep into your brain which made you miss where I said fulfillment is subjective and I would have had no issues with their choices if only they let me be too and stopped looking down on my own choice too.

Go and reread my last paragraph again, this time with a non-infested brain.

And DO ME A FAVOUR if you still don't get it, go and replace that mass of sheet you call brain.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tonididdy(m): 9:11pm On Sep 22, 2014
LaurelP: Hmmm
Thank God say na woman talk am
If its me now, they will say am lady-centric (sic)!
#wateva dat means
my broda its straight frm one of the horses mouth

If na guy man blunt like the OP just said,u go see NL girls frm left rite and centa they attack am like he wos lying
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by jennylove7575(f): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2014
majekdom2: how come we have got females taking lead in politics.GENDER inequality I ll say is a thing of the past in NIGERIA. I have seen companies reject male candidates and go for the females..... its the youth of these days ... unserious , I mean both male and female.
you are right in ur argument but I question, would u allow ur wife to go into politics if she chooses to? Of course many naija men would not allow their wife to go into politics because of fear of another man pinching their wife on the buttocks. Or sexing their wife...they dread such exposures...therefore they prefer the woman to stay at home to look after the kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bayulll01(m): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2014
donroxy: I just don't like a girl who is unreasonable and leeches , I will dump her 1trillion times even with few cash for her to just go and lemme be !!!

ehn bros lets just pity the cretin!!,
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by xp17(m): 9:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
majekdom2: the family is the responsibility of the both of you.there are ways to train kids without jeopardising the dreams of ur wfe.
modern families always grow up to regret one thing they should have done "i wish I had more time with the kids"

although, I hate stereotyping, but you ll agree with me that the kids open up more with their mum than their dad. sir, there are things you can't change. a man does his chore better outdoor, while a woman does her's better indoor, just like the arms of government, where they have separation of power, everyone to his area of specialization.

this is the reason our parents where able to live together till death, one was dishing out orders while the order was obeying, unlike these days where everyone is giving out order and no one is ready to obey.

do what ever is okay for you. as for me, don't worry yourself, because I'm uncivilized and I'll stick to the old ways.

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by thandii1: 9:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
sauer:

You have provided all the reasons most of them chicken out. I typically don't see women as the weaker se.x, personally. But there has to be a reason why they are historically known as such. Only very, very, very few women have that strong stomach to bear the consequences they could face. And clearly, it's not by wishing it; it's by walking the talk.

The ones i know who walk this talk hardly talk about it. They have no reason to. It's more about self-awareness than it is about talking. Talk is after all cheap.

I get you, but One can also wish before walking the talk. Don't you think? Lol
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by touchmeder: 9:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
rickkid:
As a woman, you are the foundation of human civilisation, I.e a mother; the person who brings lives into existence. It is a woman's job to create and mould human beings, which is the most important job on the planet. It is also her job to take care of the home which those little humans live in. It is a man's job to provide the resources to make sure that those little beings and their mother are catered for. Full stop.
I know ur type n I say dis wit d greatest respect. Its ur type that would eventually wish they had a woman that was contributing something (no matter how small) towards d home. It is ur type that will love to be completely in charge, but will grumble about a woman who sits @home, cleaning, cooking and asking for everything up to salt n maggi money.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by EbolaParasite: 9:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
thandii1:

Apart from the fact that You have comprehension issues, you are slow. Apparently, The ebola virus has eaten deep into your brain which made you miss where I said fulfillment is subjective and I would have had no issues with their choices if only they let me be too and stopped looking down on my own choice too.

Go and reread my last paragraph again, this time with a non-infested brain.

And DO ME A FAVOUR if you still don't get it, go and replace that mass of sheet you call brain.

Getting angry and raining curses will not change the truth. You look down on women who raise babies and they look down on you with a career. Shikena.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
Onegai: Try telling this to even men of nowadays.

I got a job last year (very prestigious if not big on salary, could make my career) that took me out of Lagos for less than 2 months. My bf started avoiding my calls and broke up with me on the phone after, saying "oh I can't give you what you want, you were gone, I felt neglected, blah blah". I hissed (okay I pretended to be upset to make him feel guilty grin ) and moved on.

Next guy who came toasting, I was working long hours on and off in Lagos, maybe 2-3 days a week, other days I'd be home. He started complainig about "so is this how it will be after marriage??" We were not even dating sef.

Current bobo, I'm slowly training him to leave me over weekends grin to give me space, he's not too happy.

Everyone asks women "when are you getting married?" One relative declared to me (when I told her about something I had achieved) "the crown on a woman's head is Marriage".

When Society and Nigerian men expect you as a woman to be constantly available at their beck-and-call, you're not going to be motivated to achieve much.

You cannot have it all. Every hour you spend worrying about your business is an hour away from your loved ones, every hour you spend with your loved ones is an hour away from making money. What you can do is achieve a balance, maybe 60-40 in whatever way you choose.
you haven't met someone who wants u for who u are.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by LaurelP(m): 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
I was watching a program on TV few minutes ago. Its a sort of instant beauty queen pageant where 3 ladies are selected and asked questions on their skills, intelligence and future ambitions.

When asked abt dia ambitions, all of dem mentioned getting married as one of dia major goals. Infact 2 of dem said apart from getting a job and maybe setting up a small business, said their dream is to marry and have a family. These are students of Unilag o!

Dis made me remember a statement made by one of my lecturers way back in school. He said d dream of every woman is PHD= Pikin,Husband and Degree grin grin

So d Op is right. It is been drummed into women's subconscious right from childhood dat dia ultimate goal in life shud be to get married and have kids. Education is second to dat and being a career woman is usually frowned at by their parents.
But all of this is gradually changing sha!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by GodMode: 9:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
ayusco85: Well don't blame the girls o, blame the society they found themselves in. They made marriage seem like the ultimate goal for every lady. That has beclouded lots of girls who don't even know what they can achieve because they are only looking forward to finish schl and get married.

They shouldn't blame society they must blame themselves.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by safarigirl(f): 9:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
xp17: modern families always grow up to regret one thing they should have done "i wish I had more time with the kids"

although, I hate stereotyping, but you ll agree with me that the kids open up more with their mum than their dad. sir, there are things you can't change. a man does his chore better outdoor, while a woman does her's better indoor, just like the arms of government, where they have separation of power, everyone to his area of specialization.

this is the reason our parents where able to live together till death, one was dishing out orders while the order was obeying, unlike these days where everyone is giving out order and no one is ready to obey.

do what ever is okay for you. as for me, don't worry yourself, because I'm uncivilized and I'll stick to the old ways.
you're wrong here.

I've always been closer to my father, I sit with him, I converse with him, I bounce ideas off him, it's been dad for a long time.

You can't leave caring for kids to your wife, what if she dies and leaves you with four kids? You'll transfer them to your mum cuz 'it's not in a man's place to care for kids'?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tpia1: 9:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
actually, every single one of the world's most successful ladies, are married and majority of them even came from very rich homes where had they decided to remain single, wouldnt have affected their financial status in any way. They'd still be rich.

so, these misleading threads on nl, are directed mostly at some type of audience i suppose.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tintingz(m): 9:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
samsolite: OP, the answer to your observation lies in this thread. How many ladies have contributed already to this discussion compared to the guys?

I've observed on this forum that the ladies take exception to such topics offering valuable advice, most especially when its from a lady; but if it were a topic about the most handsome dude on Nairaland or such trivialities you see them flock in their numbers and the thread count going to the 21st page in a day!
You no lie at all. grin
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by thandii1: 9:19pm On Sep 22, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Getting angry and raining curses will not change the truth. You look down on women who raise babies and they look down on you with a career. Shikena.

Eeyah, you've turned off your Caps key. The pain my post brought to you has reduced. Glad I was able to help. wink

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
EbolaParasite:

The fulfillment from MOTHERHOOD and being able to RAISE something that started as a spec of s.e.m.en is unquantifiable. The same way you are excited about your CAREER is the same way others are excited about RAISING CHILDREN. The fact that you think wanting to get married and having kids means having little to no ambition makes me question your so-called education and career interest. A KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON WOULD NEVER SAY SUCH.

MOTHERHOOD TRUMPS any rubbish career you want to make up. The only people i have respect for are the ones that DO BOTH.
If you think having a career means you have some sort of ambition or are better than women who chose to raise babies, PLEASE DO THE WORLD A FAVOUR and TEAR YOUR CERTIFICATE
Lol she is an "educated Black woman".

When we just listen to any rubbish white people say and blindly follow, this is what happens.

Because some oyinbo lesbian started a movement in the 60s demonising motherhood and characterising stay-at-home mums as "lazy non-achievers", our army of fresh-faced, wide-eyed, naïve people accept this as the Word Of God and start expecting women to do everything men do AND raise a family as well.

Nature did NOT design it that way. Full stop.

A woman is the foundation of human civilisation. If everyone on earth was a man, humanity goes extinct in 1 generation! Don't you guys get it?? A woman is more than just a human being with a vag.ina - she is the human race itself! Each one of us came to earth through a woman. Giving birth and raising children is the most important job on earth! Without a woman to give birth and raise children, there is no corporate ladder, there is no career, there is no economy, there is no politics, there is NOTHING.

Don't you guys get it already?! You have been brainwashed to look down on what is the most important thing on earth for gods sake, what is wrong with you people!!!

Anyway my fiance and I already know the score. 3 years of 2 of us working after marriage, then once the kids start coming, she is staying at home to give my children 6 months exclusive breastfeeding and raise them. No nannies, creche or wicked housegirl. Yes I will have to work like a slave to take care of all of us, but all I'm doing is making money - she is moulding our next generation! Is there anything on earth that is more important than that?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Sepp360(m): 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
melissa429: Thank u for wakin me up,actualy nid 2 retink afta my so cald fiance pregnanted anoda gal,nid to get bizi makin moni,men ar jus a waste of tym nd resourseful tinkin
Fallacy of Hasty Generalization.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2014
EbolaParasite:

jennylove7575: you are right in ur argument but I question, would u allow ur wife to go into politics if she chooses to? Of course many naija men would not allow their wife to go into politics because of fear of another man pinching their wife on the buttocks. Or sexing their wife...they dread such exposures...therefore they prefer the woman to stay at home to look after the kids.
lols ... FYI , I love babes that are into politics... what kind of thinkin is that .. that one man would be sleeping with my wife ... hell no . I see beyond that. its just the way some of us reason. there is perfectly wrong with women taking the lead as long as they have got the capability. an intelligent ambitious lady would always come out bright in whatever she does.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by GodMode: 9:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
niggereyez: OP... sorry but I don't totally agree wit u. if u keep the right company (no offence intended), u'll know that there are many more visionary women in our society today..
truelly, gone are those days when women are satisfied being just housewives.

This is your opinion... Not the "right company".

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by EbolaParasite: 9:24pm On Sep 22, 2014
rickkid:

When we just listen to any rubbish white people say and blindly follow, this is what happens.

Because some oyinbo lesbian started a movement in the 60s demonising motherhood and characterising stay-at-home mums as "lazy non-achievers", our army of fresh-faced, wide-eyed, naïve people accept this as the Word Of God and start expecting women to do everything men do AND raise a family as well.

A woman is the foundation of human civilisation. If everyone on earth was a man, humanity goes extinct in 1 generation! Don't you guys get it?? A woman is more than just a human being with a vag.ina - she is the human race itself! Each one of us came to earth through a woman. Giving birth and raising children is the most important job on earth! Without a woman to give birth and raise children, there is no corporate ladder, there is no career, there is no economy, there is no politics, there is NOTHING.

Don't you guys get it already?! You have been brainwashed to look down on what is the most important thing on earth for gods sake, what is wrong with you people!!!

Anyway my fiance and I already know the score. 3 years of 2 of us working after marriage, then once the kids start coming, she is staying at home to give my children 6 months exclusive breastfeeding and raise them. No nannies, creche or wicked housegirl. Yes I will have to work like a slave to take care of all of us, but all I'm doing is making money - she is moulding our next generation! Is there anything on earth that is more important than that?

Well written. People tend to diminish Motherhood these days. Big ups to all the MOTHERS in the world. I respect what you have chosen to do.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by GodMode: 9:24pm On Sep 22, 2014
sheniqua:

Rubbish!
The number of wealthy men in Nigeria is negligible and for the few wealthy ones, no be woman go marry them?
Will they marry themselves?

Most Nigerian women work even after marriage so I have no clue what this is about

Who's this dull f**k.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by philantoxx(m): 9:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
and all I
have to do to get this is spread my legs for him
and push out little people with his DNA" this OP got me cracking.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by 2mNaira: 9:27pm On Sep 22, 2014
Horayce:
my english teacher would still nail u for redundancy grin
@ topic, this isn't peculiarly nigerian;women everywhere are faced with samey problems and simply do not push as far as men. i do not blame them.

Sure enough the writer could be faulted on d ground of redundancy but certainly not on d ground pointed out by d fellow who attempted to correct d writer.

Personally,I don't I don't think d adjective eloquent has good harmony with d noun command .

Redundancy is used deliberately in writing to produce certain desired effects by skillful writers.

@topic:
I believe a number of thgs are responsible
1.Hardship
2.Societal pressure/expectatn.

Any woman who in real life gives more priority to her career than gett married would be made by d African society to feel like a leper if she is still single while her age mates have since gotten married.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by madeinnigeria: 9:27pm On Sep 22, 2014
Anytime I click on a thread and I see ur name as the op I alwayz make sure I read.you always tend to have something meaningful to write about.. Shoutout to you safarigirl

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by tintingz(m): 9:27pm On Sep 22, 2014
EbolaParasite:

Here's my problem with your statement - You make it seem like the ultimate goal of going to school is TO WORK in the corporate world.
The reason girls are sent to school is to get an EDUCATION and ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE.
If she chooses to be an Educated Housewife - so be it. The most important thing is that she is not an ILLITERATE.
Educated Women help marriages blossom. Some housewives help their husbands do their accounting etc.
The so-called boutique you are criticizing is not a bad idea at all. What is wrong with the hubby getting the wife a boutique and she puts her education into good use and turns a 50,000 naira boutique to a multi-million naira franchise?

I know a woman who opened a store and started selling groceries as a housewife with her husband's initial investment. The husband worked for an oil company that starts with "S" and they were very comfortable. She grew the store to a multi-million naira outfit that they both run today. Husband is now retired.

Not everyone will be a lawyer, engineer, doctor etc. There is nothing wrong with women chosing to get married. You can chose to be career and oriented and be a Condolezza rice or maintain a balance between both and be a Hilary Clinton or chose to have a happy family while you raise your kids like the numerous women around. Nothing wrong with it.
Well said.

In as much the op has a valid point she still miss some reality point.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
thandii1:

I get you, but One can also wish before walking the talk. Don't you think? Lol

Wish really has no place in it. Thousands have wished, but they still clung to the first rich man who crossed their way. Alternatively they could be so blinded by so-called love that they'd dump every other thing they ever thought was important. For MOST, and i mean most, girls who talk like the OP, it's either cos they ve never met a man, or they are way past marriageable age. Or perhaps they aren't even attractive enough to secure a man in the first place.
If the OP were attractive, has rich men flocking around her, and still thinks otherwise, then I'd believe her more. So you see, it's not about the talk; it's about a greater self-awareness which often never finds its way to paper.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by safarigirl(f): 9:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
rickkid:

wherever did I say "To hell with marriage and motherhood"?

You have apparently failed to grasp the message. This isn't telling women to abandon their roles as caregivers, this is telling women to develop themselves in their chosen career paths.

What if the man that's been providing for you as a woman suddenly loses interest in the marriage? I know of someone who's been left homeless after her husband kicked her and the kids out cuz he got someone else to warm his bed. Now she's begging for just 1k of feeding money cuz she failed to use her degree when she should've.

There are women trapped in frustrating marriages that can't get out because they were not empowered, because they chose to remain at home and care for their husband's kids and now the husband is treating them like trash because he knows she has no choice.

So don't make mockery of my message or twist it up. You can be a wife and a mother, but there should be more to a woman than being Mrs. Somebody

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by iswallker(m): 9:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
safarigirl: this is true to some extent. But a woman with a future ambition prepares herself while in school. I know a girl that studies Economics, but attends a Korean language lesson while at it, this is to diversify herself. She recently returned from a trip to South Korea courtesy of those classes. She does some Ushering work as well so this has exposed her to a number of people. I doubt someone like her would encounter much problem in the job search. She must have made acquaintances with those who will assist her in a job search after school.

Ushering = olosho
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by GodMode: 9:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
Emmalot121: Mumus and dimwits,that do not think God exist,just find a means of tanishing image of religion, just to confuse themselves that a universe as mighty as this has no creator.Did you read the bible where it said:Let he who does not work not eat. I downloaded quran and read where it said women have the reward for their labour.Stop this nonsense.If you believe God does not exist,hide your tought and live your life.
You can say religion,societal love for women and our beautiful culture has some little loopholes that help women to shelter because of the situation in society.GO BACK TO HELL YOU CAME FROM. angry

God does not exist... There is no god but there is a creator. Don't confuse yourself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

My Girl Wants Me To Get My Own Apartment Or She Leaves / What's The Worst Thing A Woman Has Done On The First Date? / 10 Things Broke Girls Often Say

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.