Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,124 members, 7,838,857 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

“I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration (15101 Views)

I Will Rather Die In Jail Than For Ohaneze Ndigbo To Claim Credit... Nnamdi Kanu / Iran Vows To Avenge, Threatens Nigeria. Nigerian Military Prepares. / I’ll Rather Return To My Village Than Work With Buhari –kuku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by bawomolo(m): 9:02pm On Nov 29, 2008
The idea that a cab driver makes 400 dollars per night is a big lie.  cab drivers not only have to pay a lease fee on their cabs(except you own the medallion which goes for over 50,000 bucks).  you forgot to add the cost of gas and all.  cab drivers in Chicago are actually planning to strike in hopes of getting a hike in cab fares.  it's funny how certain posters are trying to pain their side as rosey ( whether home or abroad).  due to high demand for medallions, it's hard to get into the cab business at this point.  factory jobs are shrinking too.  

Home or abroad is what you make it.  some people have no choice but to seek greener pasture.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:05pm On Nov 29, 2008
Sauron

If I had a family house in Naija. I would even be thinking of selling it to become an illegal immigrant (cleaner) in the UK. I would prbably go for an education loan using the house as a collateral (the school could actually be ibn the UK). Finish school work for a while, pay off the loan and come back home to start something nice, noth neccessarily a blue collar job.

But the young dude does wanna go thru the stress of schooling, doesnt wanna go thru the stress of thinking. He would rather mortgage the family wealth and come play big boy in the UK. U really need to see the way they make living in the UK sound like. Need to see them on facebook.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

U earn more than N200k weekly, then maybe the entire 140, peeps in Naija should join u there.

Do you have a hard time answering questions or something? I have you over 8 questions now but you keep trying to make this about me instead of answering questions on claims you made. Is something the matter?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:07pm On Nov 29, 2008
Bawolo

I was in agreement with u nothing the point where u said some  people dont have a choice. That's a big fallacy, U dont run out of options until u stop looking for them.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by chamotex(m): 9:08pm On Nov 29, 2008
Mai Suya:

shocked shocked icannot beleive what I just watched. what diisgrace We shloud all hang our heads low. shame on the man. shamex2 on all those who support him.

and why?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by bawomolo(m): 9:08pm On Nov 29, 2008
And how much do u get to save monthly? we need to quantity ur self esteem that's been eroded monthly and deduct it from Exepndable income.

grin grin grin
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by smurf(f): 9:09pm On Nov 29, 2008
bawomolo:

The idea that a cab driver makes 400 dollars per night is a big lie.  cab drivers not only have to pay a lease fee on their cabs(except you own the medallion which goes for over 50,000 bucks).  you forgot to add the cost of gas and all.  cab drivers in Chicago are actually planning to strike in hopes of getting a hike in cab fares.  it's funny how certain posters are trying to pain their side as rosey ( whether home or abroad).  due to high demand for medallions, it's hard to get into the cab business at this point.  factory jobs are shrinking too.  

Home or abroad is what you make it.  some people have no choice but to seek greener pasture.  

I heard about it as well, I mean $400 a day? every one would start driving a cab if it were so shocked
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:10pm On Nov 29, 2008
Kobo

my arguement/reasoning or writting might not be coherent tonite cos am really pissed. Sorry if ve not answered ur questions, I wasnt deliberately avoiding them. Maybe if u ask again I would try and give answers to them if I can.

By the way, do u understand Yoruba, if u do listen to that video again and tell me how u feel.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 9:12pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Nov 29, 2008
I watched the video and yes, I do understand Yoruba and heard everything the guy said. How do you know this man is not telling the truth about what he did before he left NIgeria? Come on!! lol
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by bawomolo(m): 9:15pm On Nov 29, 2008
smurf:

I heard about it as well, I mean $400 a day? every one would start driving a cab if it were so shocked

don't mind those tales by moon light story tellers. there was a time the cab driving business was a money grabber.  lots of nigerian immigrants after getting their degrees in the US refused to take white collar jobs and stuck with cab driving.  my father's friends are a good example.  now they are struggling to pay lease, buy gas, maintain the cab. people would rather use mass transit than right cabs.  compared to what asians have achieved, nigerian immigrants just hoard degree (chief dr engr blah blah blah) rather than doing much with it.  

yemmyse:

Bawolo

I was in agreement with u nothing the point where u said some  people don't have a choice. That's a big fallacy, U don't run out of options until u stop looking for them.

opportunities are indeed scarce in nigeria considering the per capita income of the country and the rate population of young people is balooning
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 9:16pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Sauron

If I had a family house in Naija. I would even be thinking of selling it to become an illegal immigrant (cleaner) in the UK. I would prbably go for an education loan using the house as a collateral (the school could actually be ibn the UK). Finish school work for a while, pay off the loan and come back home to start something nice, noth neccessarily a blue collar job.

Your choice, your way. . . . . . .No one would question you if u sell your family house to play national lottery.
What we are saying is you are not in any position to condemn the cleaner. . . . . .
U don't know his situation, until u walk in his shoes and know the true story ZIP IT. lipsrsealed

But the young dude does want to go through the stress of schooling, doesnt want to go through the stress of thinking. He would rather mortgage the family wealth and come play big boy in the UK. U really need to see the way they make living in the UK sound like. Need to see them on facebook.

Are u sure he had GCE qualification in Nigeria before he traveled?? Where would he start??
From secondary school at the age of 30??
Living in the UK can be heaven and hell at the same time. . . . . . .It depends on your orientation and priorities.
I know non-graduates that make as much as 300 pounds per day HERE.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:18pm On Nov 29, 2008
The good book says " a dry morsel with peace is much desirable than a house filled with gem and with no peace" (sic)
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Nov 29, 2008
tpia:

@ kobojunkie: by your attitude you're also supporting the smugglers who dump people overboard at sea. or the ones leaving others to die in the desert which also bleaches their bones dry.
By my attitude? Come on!! Do all illegal immigrants come by that route? Were all illegal immigrants abandoned in the sea or the desert by idiots? No. Some came in legally but stayed back after their visa’s expired. Please let’s not make this what it is not about.
tpia:

yes, some illegals become legal hardworking citizens. The point is, it takes time and doesnt happen overnight.
I think from the illustrations and examples I have given so far of how it takes hard work, that is quite clear so far.
tpia:

The effort which we don't want to put into making things work at home, somehow becomes a priority towards making things work overseas. What kind of mentality is this? I'm really puzzled by it.
I am puzzled myself as I do not understand what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

tpia:

And every Nigerian is guilty of this attitude. What we condemn in our leaders and background is also present in ourselves.
I am cool with that as I have made that point earlier,but what is the point you are trying to make here?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 9:21pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

The good book says " a dry morsel with peace is much desirable than a house filled with gem and with no peace" (sic)

Stop kidding, there's no peace in Nigeria.
Armed robbers, ritualists, 419ers, area boys and even the cops are all potential criminals.
How many times have i heard cops killing bus drivers cos of 20 naira.
Is that your idea of PEACE??
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 9:22pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:22pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

I love quotes from the good book but how does this apply in this case??
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Nov 29, 2008
tpia:

you mentioned people coming over in boxes and crates. Since when is that something to be proud of?

You would have to show me where I posted it is something we ought to be proud of cause I have no idea where you are trying to take this now and why.

By the by, did anyone miss this. The black immigration lady seems to be an African. Why focus on the blond lady?? lol
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:26pm On Nov 29, 2008
Kobo

N10 in Nigeria with peace is better than $10k in the US with frustration
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 9:27pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Kobo

You mean there are no people with 10k in Nigeria who have frustrations to deal with ? Are there no people down there with N10 who live a life of frustration? What is this? DAY OF DENIAL?? roflmao!!
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 9:28pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Kobo

I guess this explains why the British Embassy in Nigeria is the busiest consulate in the whole world.
Nigerians prefer the 1 pound with frustration than N20,000 with peace.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by smurf(f): 9:29pm On Nov 29, 2008
bawomolo:

don't mind those tales by moon light story tellers. there was a time the cab driving business was a money grabber.  lots of nigerian immigrants after getting their degrees in the US refused to take white collar jobs and stuck with cab driving.  my father's friends are a good example.  now they are struggling to pay lease, buy gas, maintain the cab. people would rather use mass transit than right cabs.  compared to what asians have achieved, nigerian immigrants just hoard degree (chief dr engr blah blah blah) rather than doing much with it.  

Hum, Its a pity so what are they supposed to do now then go back to school, or just go home and manage, and continue patching things up, cos I would imagine when things were good for cab drivers in those days they would have built their homes back home and saved enough for their retirement life cos at this rate nothing at all is a guarantee sadly,  cry cry cry
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:30pm On Nov 29, 2008
tpia:

let me see the spin you want to put on your quoted statement:

the black immigration lady may be African, black British or direct Jamaican.  I'd guess she's probably Jamaican. The blonde lady was more antagonistic than the others, in case you didnt notice. Even the Indian guy wasnt that bothered. don't make this about race plz.

OOHH!!! This is about who was more antagonistic on video, even if she was just doing her job,  ROflmao!! No worry !! Now I get it !!

Anywho, about my statement there. I think the meaning is clear. Not sure how you came to inject the "BE PROUD Of being smuggled to America in a box" part though. I really need you to show me that one.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 9:32pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:33pm On Nov 29, 2008
Y on God's earth can't people stay back in their own country and 'think it out'. Did anyone here of American embarking on mass exodus during the Great Depression or Germans after WWII. They stayed back and worked it out. Are Indians not worse off than Nigerians in terms of condition of living (at least in Nigeria, families don't live oin the strret). Yet u don't see an Indian working as a cleaner any where in the world. They (indians) are the leading exporters of skilled labour in the world. Lebanese are leaders in small scale bizs in the whole of West Africa.

Y re we just so lazy, especially the Southwestners?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 9:36pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Y on God's earth can't people stay back in their own country and 'think it out'. Did anyone here of American embarking on mass exodus during the Great Depression or Germans after WWII. They stayed back and worked it out. Are Indians not worse off than Nigerians in terms of condition of living (at least in Nigeria, families don't live oin the strret). Yet u don't see an Indian working as a cleaner any where in the world. They (indians) are the leading exporters of skill labour in the world. Lebanese are leaders in small scale bizs in the whole of West Africa.

There are indian cleaners in my office.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:37pm On Nov 29, 2008
tpia:

if you don't want to get it, then you wont.

i don't need to spell everything out for you- you can't be going senile when you're not even 70. Some eighty year olds still have all their faculties intact, so you really shouldnt take pride in acting obtuse.

PLease, for the sake of sanity, let's drop this. My post there is clear in meaning. You are trying to say my post means something else when I clearly made my self clear by stating that some of those who are legal today came over in boxes but have been able to succeed and become legal today. NOt sure how you arrived at that meaning that I support people coming over in boxes or that I say people ought to be proud to come over in boxes.

I take full responsiblity for this as I made the effort to respond to your post thinking we could resolve this with you simply reading my words as is but I see that is not going to happen  anytime soon. So I apologize for wriling you up and I say we drop this here. I am enjoying this debate and do not want it to turn it into another one of those wasted posts please. I accept whatever you want to think of me and would like to move on from here.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Y on God's earth can't people stay back in their own country and 'think it out'.
Because, they, just like you, would like to have a life they can speak of? And please perish the notion that they do not ‘think it out’. Most do.
yemmyse:

Did anyone here of American embarking on mass exodus during the Great Depression or Germans after WWII.
Well, some did but many had faith in the system cause they knew that as a people, together they could make it work. The government was on the side of helping the people too and that made it even more believable. Can you say the same of the government that you blamed earlier of being the problem in Nigeria?
yemmyse:

They stayed back and worked it out. Are Indians not worse off than Nigerians in terms of condition of living (at least in Nigeria, families don't live oin the strret). Yet u don't see an Indian working as a cleaner any where in the world.
Abeg!!! Please tell me you are seriously joking !!! Roflamo!!!
yemmyse:

They (indians) are the leading exporters of skill labour in the world. Lebanese are leaders in small scale bizs in the whole of West Africa.
Lol… again…. Please bless with me with knowledge of this being a joke ooo!!! lol
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:45pm On Nov 29, 2008
That indians are so poor that some of them actually live on the street is common knowledge. Read it not too long ago that they re the highest exporters of skilled labour in the world.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:49pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

That indians are so poor that some of them actually live on the street is common knowledge. Read it not too long ago that they re the highest exporters of skilled labour in the world.

Skilled laborers include cleaners, farmers, factory workers etc. With a population at over 1 billion, there being highest should not be of any surprise.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by bawomolo(m): 9:50pm On Nov 29, 2008
Yet u don't see an Indian working as a cleaner any where in the world.

lol now this is ridiculous

to kobo - cleaners are semi-skilled labor at best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

FG To Repatriate Looted 300million Pounds From Jersey- Min. Of Foreign Affairs. / Presidency Insists Judges Must Step Down For Trial / A Trip To Idumuje-Ugboko: Victims Of 2017 Violence Cry Out For Justice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.