Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,313 members, 7,839,506 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

“I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration (15104 Views)

I Will Rather Die In Jail Than For Ohaneze Ndigbo To Claim Credit... Nnamdi Kanu / Iran Vows To Avenge, Threatens Nigeria. Nigerian Military Prepares. / I’ll Rather Return To My Village Than Work With Buhari –kuku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by dayokanu(m): 8:07pm On Nov 29, 2008
@Tpia,
I was a University graduate earning $30 per month. This was in 2004/2005 Not long ago.

Nigeria has the largest non British Black population.

I can reliably tell you that the US economy would cash without this immigrants
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 8:13pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:14pm On Nov 29, 2008
Dayo

All my classmates with minimum of 2nd class lower are either in banks or working in oil firms, aside from those who travelled abroad and are languishing in penury. None of them earns less than 200k per month.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Dayo

All my classmates with minimum of 2nd class lower are either in banks or working in oil firms, aside from those who travelled abroad and are languishing in penury. None of them earns less than 200k per month.

All your classmates in Nigeria are making nothing less than 200K a month ? WOW, even I could not make such a statement and I graduated more than a decade and more ago. lol
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 8:18pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Dayo

How much is 200,000 Naira per month?? Thatz less than 1000 pounds a month.
A cleaner actually makes more than that. . . .
Blimey, a security officer makes TWICE as much so where is the penury??
One thing u have to realise is half of those your classmates are still living under their parent's roof. . . .Is that your idea of self esteem??
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2008
Kobo

U just werent resilient enough. U guys ran off. We didnt start big. Some of us started earning less than N10k monthly. Nigeria don better, to the glory of God, pls come back and enough the benefit.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by ikeyman00(m): 8:21pm On Nov 29, 2008
sauron

are u kiidin me? £1000 tiwce kini?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by doyin13(m): 8:22pm On Nov 29, 2008
~Sauron~:

That argument is obsolete. . . .
In this internet age when an ordinary mechanic in Naija can use the net and dig out information, everyone knows what living abroad now entails.
Gone are the days when people wait for returnees to tell their rosy stories. . . . . .
If a man feels living abroad to do menial jobs would make him better, good luck to him.
Who are we to condemn him?

LOL. . .

I have since given up on explaining to friends and families alike the realities of the situation abroad.

Their customary retort,''You are lying jo. . .see Lagbaja who left for Sweden two years ago, he has
just built a tortoise shaped mansion, or this one that went to Spain last month, he has sent a
maybach back home'' yada yada yada

There might be a fecundity of information, but there seems to be a trenchantly optimistic view of life
abroad.

Well I guess it is a testament to how awful conditions are at home.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:22pm On Nov 29, 2008
~Sauron~

Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigratio
« #164 on: Today at 08:18:33 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: yemmyse on Today at 08:14:27 PM
Dayo

How much is 200,000 Naira per month?? Thatz less than 1000 pounds a month.
A cleaner actually makes more than that. . . .
Blimey, a security officer makes TWICE as much so where is the penury??
One thing u have to realise is half of those your classmates are still living under their parent's roof. . . .Is that your idea of self esteem??

Yes N200k some with more. Some with official cars and with PEACE OF MIND. No one calls them FUCKING IMMIGRANTS and they re adding a whole lot to the local economy.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by oderemo(m): 8:23pm On Nov 29, 2008
its a shame that the guy cried, Nigeria is not hell on earth , or is it?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 8:23pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Kobo

U just werent resilient enough. U guys ran off. We didnt start big. Some of us started earning less than N10k monthly. Nigeria don better, to the glory of God, please come back and enough the benefit.

uumm,  reality check! I CHOSE to leave and I am not making 200K a month, I make way more than that a week even grin, so let's leave me out of this, shall we?. lol.

Now, for my classmates who REMAINED in NIGERIA, who I am actually speaking of here, How do you know they ran off and were not willing to work jobs less than N10K a month? Is that the almighty excuse for why over 70 million people in Nigeria live on less than a dollar a day? Many of these happen to be college educated too.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2008
And how much do u get to save monthly? we need to quantity ur self esteem that's been eroded monthly and deduct it from Exepndable income.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 8:26pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by doyin13(m): 8:27pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

And how much do u get to save monthly? we need to quantity ur self esteem that's been eroded monthly and deduct it from Exepndable income.

now that is funny grin grin grin
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 8:28pm On Nov 29, 2008
ikeyman00:

sauron

are u kiidin me? £1000 tiwce kini?

Security men make as much as 10 pounds per hour or even more. . . . .Some do 60-90 hours/week
U can work out the math yourself.

yemmyse:

Yes N200k some with more. Some with official cars and with PEACE OF MIND. No one calls them FUCKING IMMIGRANTS and they re adding a whole lot to the local economy.

Official cars and peace of what?? In a country where governors and banks are attacked by armed robbers, your classmates are not immuned to such.
What is an official car? A car that is not yours and can be taken away if the company goes phbbbbbbbbbbbbbt.
Little things look great in the eyes of Nigerians. . . . .One of the reasons why many even want to run away from the shackles.
The N200k covers for generator, fuel, bribing cops and so many other nonsense that a citizen shouldn't worry himself about.
Many would rather be called a FUCKING IMMIGRANT than be raped or shot in Nigeria by armed robbers. grin
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 8:29pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Can we get back to your claim here and not my person? You still have not answered my main questions here.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by DavidDylan(m): 8:29pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Ol' boy, na kobo you yab so?  grin Take ya time o.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:31pm On Nov 29, 2008
Need to re-emphasis this: Going abroad is not bad, if u go as a student, a professional etc not when u go hidding from the law and being humiliated. Peole like Dayo and a whole lot of Nigerian Youths are doing us proud there. But when u go as an immigrant u re simply an embarrashment to ur nation.

A sizeable part of Ni comes from money from overseas and it helps keep alot of us employed back at home. We appreciate that, but i get angry when ma brother gets hassled by white men who think they re superior and he's shouting "ejo esi lekun awon eyinbo ni o" on the Internet.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by dayokanu(m): 8:33pm On Nov 29, 2008
Yemmy,

Are you kidding me?

Your classmates over 200k?
Dont let me give you examples. Classmates from your MicroBiology class?

Peace of mind in darkness? I would rather be called an immigrant than to be stripped naked in front of Muri okunola.
Or to be mugged by Armed robbers/area boys.

How many people but brand new cars in Nigeria? Ask yourself Calling a party when you buy a 1990 model car
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 8:33pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Need to re-emphasis this: Going abroad is not bad, if u go as a student, a professional etc not when u go hidding from the law and being humiliated. Peole like Dayo and a whole lot of Nigerian Youths are doing us proud there. But when u go as an immigrant u re simply an embarrashment to ur nation.

A sizeable part of Ni comes from money from overseas and it helps keep alot of us employed back at home. We appreciate that, but i get angry when ma brother gets hassled by white men who think they re superior and he's shouting "ejo esi lekun awon eyinbo ni o" on the Internet.

You seem to be evading my questions here.  Why do you think you are the judge of those who choose to live illegally? Are you able to willing to provide them with what they have now in those foreign countries, should they move back to Nigeria? You have over 70 million VERY VERY POOR Nigerians today who would like to earn at least Naira 70,000 a year, but do not. This is not to talk of the many Millions who are VERY POOR in the same Country, and would like to make at least the same amount. Why are you stoning the ones who escape to earn more than they did back in Nigeria?

Notice, these are even more questions. Would be nice if you could at least attempt to answer 50%.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 8:36pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Stop sounding off like an illiterate.
Nigerians in Nigeria who perpetrate cyber-fraud, rob, kidnap expartriates are what to their nation?? HEROES??

Many Nigerians in Nigeria working for Lebansese/Chinese execs face the same humiliation on their own soil so what are u talking about?
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by smurf(f): 8:39pm On Nov 29, 2008
@ Topic,

I dont blame the man for wanting to die there jare, what is he going to be doing when he gets back home, with all the people that heve been looking at the guy like a mini God since he don travel, abegi jare spare the guy, cool
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by tpia: 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2008
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by SisiJinx: 8:46pm On Nov 29, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Pardon me but I think you are the one who keeps trying to mix things up here. You made some statements earlier about people needing to save for two years just to come back to Nigeria and I just took upon myself to help you with information about life in the west so you can better understand why and how life in the west is not what you think it is there and how it cannot be compared to life in Nigeria. So, no, I don’t think this should be made about US Bashing either but we need to make more informed statements here.

What issue are am I confusing and what uninformed statements am I making here? What. . .  there aren't people who save up for two years to make the trip to Nigeria? Maybe you are blessed not to be in that position and the people around you don't bat an eye when it comes to buying tickets to Nigeria but NOT EVERYONE is in that position. That you make this an issue of contention is baffling but I am willing to leave room for the possibility it is because of how well things are for you, you don't know this.

Now, you claim the same people that make it abroad, make it in Nigeria. You never explain the how and the why of it. With a population of about 140 million, we have over 70 million of those people considered VERY VERY POOR (living on less than a dollar a day), there is an equally large number living on less than $2 dollars a day in the same country. Now if one of the can escape the situation in Nigeria, to a $30 a day lifestyle, are you telling us here that your “The same people make it abroad, the same people make it in Nigeria” theory applies? As someone already pointed out, can an illegal immigrant in Nigeria get a cleaning job and make as good a living on that as a Nigerian illegal immigrant working a cleaning job in the UK can?

And the only solution is for everyone to pack their bags and move abroad. . . I mean what are you saying here?

Regardless of what they believe though, you need to check the reality of things here. How many of those who leave with ideas of a rosy life out there, actually come back? I mean check the numbers. Thousands leave each year. How many of those thousands actually come back after discovering it is not as rosy as they initially thought? Please provide proof, not more stories here and there.

My Goodness! Am I to assume you have proof of the number of people who don't go back? Why are you trying to lose the point here? Most people will tell you they can't go back because there is nothing to go back to. . . I believe the phrase they use is "Where do I start from?"

I worked grave night shift for some time, and I CHOOSE to DO SO, so I could go to school during the day time. There are definitely those who will complain but again, it is a CHOICE they made and not something forced on them by anyone else. I could have looked for a day job but I chose a night job so I could spend my days on other things. It is similar to working day shift, except most of the world is asleep when you are at work.
The Nursing field is huge here. There are those who are born with a desire to care for people and so changing diapers is not a bad thing for them as they went to school, earned their degree to become LPNS or RNS so they could care for people. Changing diapers is not beneath them because they have that passion to help people. There are people who need to have their diapers changed in Nigeria as well. Are we better off letting them rot with their waste? Are those few people who are caring enough to clean them up and make sure they are able to get a life as close to normal less in some way? Lol

What does this mean?

Well, when you are illegal, you definitely will face issues with getting papers, just as illegal immigrants in Nigeria would. About needing credit to buy a car, I don’t know how you got that but you don’t NEED credit to buy a car. I have never really bought a car on credit and I have had good cars too. You can save up to buy a car, just as you would have to do so if you were in Nigeria. So again, we need to visit the reality of these stories.

You, hun? Once again. . . YOU and what happens to YOU isn't neccesarily the reality for most.

Well, driving a cab is not as easy as painting a car yellow in Nigeria either. It is a business and you ought to register to drive a cab like you would in Nigeria.  Here is a good link that tells you how to become a Cab driver http://www.ehow.com/how_2085423_.html .  Let us focus on the reality of things and not the excuses sold us often. I have a friend back in college who came in as an international student. Before we left college, he started his own cab company, even as an international student. Doing real good in Delaware still, now he is married and has his papers, along with a successful business. grin

Is it as this juncture I tell you to provide us proof of how many people have made like your friend and not stories here and there.

Look, there will always be people who will complain even when presented with various opportunities and all the necessary tools needed to excel. Focusing on what those have to say and using that as standard to judge all makes no sense at all. Washing plates while you are working on a college degree is actually considered a noble thing to do. You may not see that but over here, it is.

I am sorry, how do you teach people the value of hard work when you do not even have enough tools available to you to help do that? My point is, each person has to decide on what is best for his situation. The man in this video has been in the UK for two years and he certainly does not want to come back, does he? He is even willing to lie and deny Nigeria just so he could stay. What has that to do with the story of another who could not take the heat? It is apparent this particular man has his mind made up to take the heat and work as hard as he has to stay and make a life for himself there.

I know thousands of people who won the visa lottery, brought their families over and are living really good lives together in America. What is your point?

What makes you think this man and the many others who decide to risk life and limb to leave each year were not careful in making the decision on leaving Nigeria? Why do you have the notion that many of these choices were not careful made?
If your two friends know what to expect, then it is up to them to decide if it is worth it or not.

Hard work is foreign to majority of Nigerians. We are not obviously a culture that believes much in hard work and that is made apparent by the fact that all around us; we see more decay than we do actual progress. So, do not be shocked when you see people who feel it is easier elsewhere. It is called “Survival of the fittest”.  I would rather more and more Nigerians learn what it means to work hard, as many do when they land here. You work hard and commit to succeeding with a plan; you have a better chance than if you do not here. Is Nigeria really better off with the many people with little work ethic down there? Is the country really better off if all these people continue as they are today?

Availability of opportunities is apparently not enough to help Nigeria, as we have millions more who are in poverty than we do those who are doing ok. Let’s stop stoning people for trying to find a better life for themselves. As a country, we have failed our own, and this has nothing to do with those who choose to leave. Until we decide to face the problem and solve it, we should stop expecting our people to be slaves to our ideas of the country, which they do not agree with.

I can tell you of a friend of mine who went to medical school and finished in Nigeria; graduated top of her class too. She came over here and found it hard to pass the medical exam. After a couple of tries, she decided to settle down as a house wife and spend more time studying for the exam. It has been over 6 years and she is back in school to work on a different career. She will tell you first hand that hard work is essential if one wants to succeed in life. She works an entry level job to make some money to help out with her bills these days. She is not running back to Nigeria and has no plans to. Should we say because of the one man who won the visa lottery but ran back to Nigeria after less than a year, she should consider running back too?

This would make sense if I said people who go abroad never make it or if I said people shouldn't go abroad at all. . . since that was never my point, I'm just going to leave it here to take space.

@ Doyin 13
Thank you for trying to make sense of things. I don't why people have to be at the extreme ends of things.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:47pm On Nov 29, 2008
Dayo

Ur old office, what's the min u can get? Is that ok for a young man who is not greedy? Tell me u dont know alot of young men/women in Nigeria with annual earnings of close to N20m, are they with 2 heads.

Seun Osewa, Dbang, Nice are they not Nigerians?

So what the Bleep are u talking about?

Dayo, most if not all of my ex-classmates work in either banks, asset mgt outfits or oil firms and they earn a good income that's taking them home.

Leaving ur country illegally is criminal and also immoral. It shows u re lazy. Beining lazy, in this age has got nothing to do with work, it is simply not thinking hard enough.

Dayo, y did the likes of Tunde come back home. He could have stayed over dodging cops and low life punks. Tell me he's not big and comfortable here in Naija. I can bet u the guy lives larger than most of these illegals, who could have achieved the same thing if they had been as deligent as the guy.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 8:50pm On Nov 29, 2008
Africans are simply lazy (cant think hard enough). They want it rosy and ready for the picking.

See that able bodied young fella working as a cleaner, cleaner. Haba.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 8:52pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Seun Osewa, Dbang, Nice are they not Nigerians?

3 people out of 20 million Naija youths. . . . .
Are u sure D'banj was in Naija all his life?? U might need to check your sources again.
He fled Naija when things went phbtttttttttttttttttttttt for him.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by smurf(f): 8:54pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Africans are simply lazy (can't think hard enough). They want it rosy and ready for the picking.

No every one can be fortunate enough to be a medical doctor or to have a blue collar job, these men, are responsible for taking care of their families both at home and abroad, so the def. cant be choosers,
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by MaiSuya(m): 8:58pm On Nov 29, 2008
shocked shocked icannot beleive what I just watched. what diisgrace We shloud all hang our heads low. shame on the man. shamex2 on all those who support him.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Sauron1: 8:59pm On Nov 29, 2008
yemmyse:

Africans are simply lazy (can't think hard enough). They want it rosy and ready for the picking.

So the cleaners in Nigeria are not able-bodied?? Or what exactly is your point??
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by RibaduFan(m): 9:00pm On Nov 29, 2008
U earn more than N200k weekly, then maybe the entire 140, peeps in Naija shd join u there.
Re: “I’ll Rather Die Here Than Go Back To Nigeria” Nigerian Man To Uk Immigration by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Nov 29, 2008
tpia:

look, the point is illegal immigration is not a right. Like many people are trying to make it out to be.
I don’t know who is making illegal immigration seem right here. IT happens, I accept that. Is it illegal? Absolutely. Is it against the law, definitely. So I am not exactly sure I have seen anyone person here say that it is right.
tpia:

Why should other countries continuously have to care about the same set of people always making a mess of their countries and then running off to greener pastures simply because its easier to do so rather than try to change their mentality and attitudes at home?
Dude… I am not in any way in SUPPORT of ILLEGAL immigration but I do accept that many of these people do so out of desperation. It is one thing to try to change the mentality and attitudes of those at home, as you say, but do you think you will succeed if these people do not want what you have to offer?
tpia:

The western world is getting fed up of hearing eternal stories of how bad your country is all the time. Last year the Uk deported a Ghanaian woman who had overstayed her visa even though she needed medical treatment for cancer or something like that. Which she couldnt get in Ghana. They deported her and the woman died shortly after.
I understand the frustration of those in the west and I do vote against having illegal immigrants come in each year But I do have a heart and I pray that those who can make it and get papers, do. As a legal immigrant here I understand their frustration but as a Nigerian who lived and still has residence in Nigeria, I also understand the other side.

tpia:

The point is while I sympathize with people who find themselves caught in the illegal immigration web overseas, it shouldn’t be a life ambition to be an illegal immigrant simply because you feel things can't work at home. And even if you prefer being illegal abroad to living in Nigeria, the British authorities don't have to agree with you. After all, its their country and they have to look out for their own citizens too.
I am not in any way advocating that this be a life ambition for anyone but if anyone chooses this life than what he/she had, I cannot decide for that person and from experience I cannot judge this person to be wrong for choosing such a life for self. Many of those who are legal today used to be illegal at some point. They make up a good part of society in the west and many are successful business owners, fathers, mothers etc. I do know it is a criminal offense and I leave it to the British government or any other government to decide what to do with such people, if caught.

tpia:

If someone gets a visitor's visa overseas, its easier to get it renewed some other time if you don't overstay. Thats all there is to it.

Everyone likes the good life but the whole world can't emigrate to the west. Europeans once left Europe in droves. After a while Europe once again became a desirable destination of choice.
I agree. However, I will not discourage anyone from trying for a better life elsewhere if he feels it is the only way. Like I said earlier, many of the Africans who are legal today in the west came over smuggled on boats and in boxes. Today they are legal, hard working citizens. If you believe your 'greener pasture' lies in your living life as an illegal immigrant for a while, I will not condemn you for making such a choice but I will tell you that being illegal is considered a crime and you should expect to be punished if caught.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

2015: Only God Will Decide My Fate —fintiri / Now Is The Time To Invest In Nigeria — Atiku / Despite Producing Most Oil, Akwa Ibom Has No NNPC, DPR Offices - Governor Udom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.