Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,272 members, 7,815,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (545798 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wilzz26: 11:20pm On Jun 26, 2011
Lagos consulate is not the best place for student visa ooo.if you are not verry smart,thoughtful and intelegent and you dont have Gods favour on you.menn for get it oooo.
the lady on boot 1 and the black young guy at boot 2 are frienly but tough if you think you are smart one question follows the next.they dont belive in documents there at all.what will make dem look at it is when you prove sound and verry confident then documentation presentation my arise.
the man at boot 3,that one dey do ako dont really interview pepole.but the man in boot 4 na that one worse pass.ant little mistake you make or you no make sence to am you will be intanly be denied.

on my day i think i saw about 5 to 8 student waiting to get their visa but one by one dem dey bounse dem their interview lasted no more than 2 min.then problem starts then you will ear AM SORRY YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR A VISA AT THIS TIME.

my adcvice is this to everyone going to lagos.it is verry stressful there o.getting in doing all security checks you will be really tired by the time you get in finnaly.
go with an umbrella to prepare for bad weather or else you will get dried up by their ac that is freezy and your confidence might drop before the visa officer.

be ready to show your SAT,TOEFL,GMAT their.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wilzz26: 11:36pm On Jun 26, 2011
be ready to show your waec certificate and any one like 02,03 till like 08 may have probs with the boot 4 man.
instantly he will calculate the years you have been out of sec sch without mixing words.niralandas be awere lagos embassy na nonsence.
i couldnt belive it after all questions where answerd well no hitch on all answers infact yhe lady at boot 1 was taken points on apaper as i was answering questions that lasted about 12 to 15 min.i was the only one there that took that long with them.it was 1 after another.after which she seem to have finshed with me she den asked after a brake of less than a min.she asked, have you traveled out nija before?
i latly answered no.then she kept quiet and removed all that has been attached to my passport and gave me a white pper indecating section 214b of immigration laws tekking me to go through it and that the reasons were there.
so if you have travelled out before and back to nija you have better chances with confident respounces you will get it.i noticed that there.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by dizyfrenzy(m): 4:56am On Jun 27, 2011
EHI 2019:

Im going for a masters in Public Health program in the University of Boston.

thats a very good school and i think ur chances are high if you meet the man in counter 8 or 9. U shld really pray not to be called to that chinese woman's counter. Cos if you dont have a good gre and toefl score, she ll bounce u o. But as far as am concerned, the men in 8 and 9 would engage u in an academic discussion. I ll advise u go and and start revising ur undergrad project, cos they ll most likely ask u. Also go and cram the meaning of standard deviation and the formula. I dnt know what u did as ur undergrad course but be ready to answer very simple questions related to it. E.g one guy that came there on my day was denied because he studied civil eng. And he couldnt explain ''soil mechanics'' when d guy in counter 8 askd him.
Did you apply to any other schools?, What was ur gre/toefl score? And whts ur undergrad degree in, And which naija uni did u go?, Pls dont see it as if am asking too many que o, i just really wanna help, Cos all the f1 applicants that came on my day were bounced for failing simple questions, And i dont want u to suffer that
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Debbiem: 9:14am On Jun 27, 2011
Hi Guys, I am a regular follower of this thread and would like to inform the house that I got my student visa on June 23, 2011 at Lagos Consulate office. I will post my interview questions shortly.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by iamwhoiam(f): 9:47am On Jun 27, 2011
Debbie(m):

Hi Guys, I am a regular follower of this thread and would like to inform the house that I got my student visa on June 23, 2011 at Lagos Consulate office. I will post my interview questions shortly.

Congrats Debbie, Good to hear that and will be expecting ur post,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 27, 2011
Debbie(m):

congratulations for ur visa, we would like to here from u soon,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Debbiem: 10:25am On Jun 27, 2011
My interview was for 7:30am on June 23, 2011 so I got there at around 6:45am. Applicants for 7am interview have already queued up so we were asked to join the queue. We did first screening and we were (in a group of five) moved to the interview session where we found a lot of people waiting to be interviewed.

Quickly, I decided to weigh the niceness of the interviewers and before I could start, I noticed one of the interviewers (a mean guy) just rejected a lady. Omo fear grip me!!! Then there was another very nice black guy that even laughs and joke with applicants. The other two interviewers (a lady and another guy) were moderately mean. After my biometrics, I prayed for the black guy to interview me but he called the number before mine and the only cubicle left vacant was that of the mean guy who has just rejected another person. I intensified my prayers and before I could look up, my number has shown on the mean guy’s cubicle. I got up and walked confidently to him (though was a bit nervous) and the interview went like this:

Me: Good morning (with a smile)
VO: Didn’t respond (he just ignore)
VO: Can I have your documents please
Me: Passed my passport,I20, Sevis and other documents to him
VO: So u are going to …….
Me: Called the name of my school
VO: Okay, Can I have all your educational certificates including your GRE and toefl
Me: I brought my unilag BSc certificates, statements of result, ND certificate , gre, toefl, out in my folder  and handed them over to him (I had already grouped my documents into educational, financial, others so I won’t be disorganized when a document is requested)
VO: Carefully looking at my unilag statement of result, you studied …,
Me: Industrial Chemistry from the University of Lagos.
VO: okay, when did you graduate?
Me: 2009
VO: What is Industrial Chemistry?
Me: I defined it and told him what it’s about in two sentences
VO: What is the heaviest element known?
Me: Was shocked!!!, Told him something confidently
VO: Did you write a project? What is it about?
Me: Told him and I added that my project was presented at the PITTCON conference in 2010 by my supervisor (efizy)
VO: How did you get to know about this school?
Me: My course adviser told me about the school and I did some Google search to know more about it
VO: Typing on his computer…, Do you know anybody in the US?
Me: Yes and I quickly added “a distant cousin” (I was scared because I had prayed for that question not to be asked from me)
VO: Who is your sponsor?
Me: My Uncle
VO: Why your uncle?! Has he been supporting your education?
Me: Yes, he has
VO: What does your uncle do?
Me: He is the CEO of his company (name) and the company is into media communications
VO: Typing fiercely….What are your plans after graduation?
Me: I would like to contribute to the development of the educational sector in NIGERIA. Specifically, I intend to lecture in one of NIGERIA’s premier universities.
VO: Okay (picking a green card), go pick up your visa at lekki and when you are travelling, make sure you go along with your 120…… (I no even hear again)
Me: Thank you and I arranged my documents and left

Guys, make una help me thank baba God o because na HIM do am. The guy didn’t even request for my sponsor’s statement of account!!!  Also, a big thank you to Nairalanders for their immense contribution to the thread.
Please note the following:
I. The interviewers asked everyone of his/her plan(s) after graduation.
II. Asked some applicants what the course they are going for entails (the course curriculum)
III. Everyone was asked questions relating to his/her field of study. Here, even if you don’t know it, just say something CONFIDENTLY.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by smoothsail: 10:28am On Jun 27, 2011
Please my people, what's happening with the appointment date? Has any one booked any appointment lately? Why is everything so difficult nowadays, i think i prefer the old website. Was trying to book an appointment for my cousin and its just saying ERROR:ERROR, please help, don't know if anyone is facing the same problem. He's going for fall and all his docs are ready since End of May and yet haven't gotten a date for him, please help about this. Anywhere will be appreciated, Lagos or Abuja,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cleverdude: 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
@dizyfrenzy, I have read about ur interview,congrats!

but,i'll like you to help me with some tips on how to approach my interviewer at the abuja embassy cos i'm going for undergraduate and my interview is coming up on the 6th day of july.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 1:18pm On Jun 27, 2011
Congrats Debbie, I am very happy for you. What school are you going to?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adedayo55(m): 2:57pm On Jun 27, 2011
Thanks to all nairaland member i just collect my student visa in abuja today. GOD NA FATHER. I go post the interview later
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 2:58pm On Jun 27, 2011
Congrats Adedayo. Wish you a wonderful stay in the states.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cleverdude: 3:25pm On Jun 27, 2011
@adedayo55, CONGRATS BRO!!!!!!, how did it go? Did the chinko lady interview you?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 3:29pm On Jun 27, 2011
Please I want to make an inquiry, can I present a certificate of investment as my account statement or I should print out the last time the maturity dropped before it was rolled over?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SeriaBravo: 4:01pm On Jun 27, 2011
@Gboyega,congrats,lucky u.are u in for MSC or PhD
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Debbiem: 4:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
@ Gboyega, Thank you. I am going to PVAMU, @ Adedayo55, congrats.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by WARYZ(m): 4:10pm On Jun 27, 2011
everyone the statement am taking to the embassy is a fixed deposit staty of about 5.7 million,and i am 19 yrs going for undergraduate studies,and i wrote only s.a.t test which i passed vry well,pls people wat are my chances of gettin a visa at the lagos embassy
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by WARYZ(m): 4:13pm On Jun 27, 2011
less I 4get congrats to U adebayo,may we also bring our good news here too,amen.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by iamwhoiam(f): 4:16pm On Jun 27, 2011
adedayo55:

Thanks to all nairaland member i just collect my student visa in abuja today. GOD NA FATHER. I go post the interview later

congratulations adedayo55,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by cleverdude: 5:01pm On Jun 27, 2011
@house , can i go to the interview with a 50mm by 50mm passport against
a red background?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by dizyfrenzy(m): 5:24pm On Jun 27, 2011
cleverdude:

@dizyfrenzy, I have read about your interview,congrats!

but,i'll like you to help me with some tips on how to approach my interviewer at the abuja embassy cos i'm going for undergraduate and my interview is coming up on the 6th day of july.

okay heres the thing, i all advise you to intensify your prayers so that you can avoid the chinese woman, its not like its outright denial if you go to her o, but your chances are a lot higher if you go to the guys in counters 8 & 9. but any which way, when you are called, just greet and be attentive. thats all, forget all these story about smiling at the consular. dont frown but dont smile foolishly cos smiling doesnt determine whether you ll get the visa or not, i didnt smile at first and i got the visa all the same. since youre going for undergraduate, i ll advise you strongly to go with your waec result. pls for your own sake dont go wit neco. if na combine you dey use, then u can go with both, did you write s.a.t?, if yu did, then your chances are great. one more thing, am hoping you go to any of the guys in counter 8 or 9, be prepared to be asked the meaning of standard deviation. whether ure a science student or not, if youre a science student, i ll advise you go and start revising ur o'level chemistry cos the guy is counter 8 knows stuff in chemistry o. also he might ask you the square root of -1, he asked two people on the day i went there.
by the way,, which school are you going to and what program?, let me know so i can know how to help you better

cleverdude:

@house , can i go to the interview with a 50mm by 50mm passport against
a red background?

just go to anywhere they snap passport and tell them you need 2 by 2 passport. all you need is 2 copies and youre good.

WARYZ:

everyone the statement am taking to the embassy is a fixed deposit staty of about 5.7 million,and i am 19 yrs going for undergraduate studies,and i wrote only s.a.t test which i passed vry well,pls people wat are my chances of gettin a visa at the lagos embassy

just keep praying and hoping that they dont ask you for bank staty, cos its clearly written on their website that ur bank statement should reflect liquid cash and easily accesible cash. fixed deposit is not easily accesible and they could deny you for lack of sufficient funds. if you can get a bank staty, current acc wit enuf cash, i ll advise you go and get it cos that ur fixed deposit acc might cause you gbege o!

GboyegaD:

Please I want to make an inquiry, can I present a certificate of investment as my account statement or I should print out the last time the maturity dropped before it was rolled over?

i wont advise you to go wit certificate of investement o. cos someone wasd enied in abuja for coming with share certfifcate or sth, if you can get regular bank statement wit liqiuid cash, pls get that one, all those consular, na loopholes dem dey look for o to carry deny person visa,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 5:50pm On Jun 27, 2011
dizyfrenzy:

i wont advise you to go wit certificate of investement o. cos someone wasd enied in abuja for coming with share certfifcate or sth, if you can get regular bank statement wit liqiuid cash, pls get that one, all those consular, na loopholes dem dey look for o to carry deny person visa,

Thanks dizyfrenzy. I have contacted my aunt to get in touch with her bank to help print the statement as at the last time the money dropped before it was rolled over. I think that should suffice right?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by jamiu4real(m): 5:55pm On Jun 27, 2011
Hey guys i really appreciate the knowledge you people are sharing on this forum and i pray God will sure grant you guys your aim , have learn a lot from this thread and i found it very helpful and thoughtful for my nearest approaching in applying for US schools and how i can get prepare for the interview questions.

Can anyone tell me if i will be able to get student visa with Conditional Admission from a USA school cause the school may waive the TOEFL,GRE or SAT and any other standard test , and the school want to admit me with AMERICA LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL INSTITUTE test which am going to sit for the TEST over there in USA , am going for Undergraduate , please i need accurate answer for this question from someone competent .

Thanks so much in advance.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mysterysng: 6:03pm On Jun 27, 2011
Hey Waryz, what i noticed from your posts: You seem to be all fidgety. I dnt think this is the best approach 'cos if you are worried now, believe me, you will be worried on that day and inadvertently, it would reflect during your interview. While everyone here has helped you with tips et al, bear it in mind that each person's interview is unique. SOme questions are generic, eg. why the sch? who will sponsor etc, however, more important than your documents, the questions asked,the answers given (whether right or wrong) [b]is your confidenc[/b]e. If you fidget, it is interpreted by them as "having something to hide", I know that getting the VISA is very important however, dn't worry and fret over it like if you are rejected(God forbid) it is the end of the world. Starting now, just stay positive that you will get it and keep the confidence level up, no matter what experiences are shared here, yours might or might not be the same aight? All the best dear!
Cheers!
P.S: As per the fixed deposit account, I think you can use it. fixed deposit accounts have dates that it can be withdrawn and if that date falls before your resumption, you can cleverly inform the VO that your parents(or whoever owns the account) chose to keep that money fixed solely for your academics and it would be available for withdrawal before your resumption date (as stated on the fixed deposit receipt. I think that is a clever reply and you have to say this confidently, it is not whether it is the correct answer or wrong answer, it is your ability to convince the VO that it is the truth!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adedayo55(m): 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2011
I woke up 2:30am i prayed 4 like 30 minutes. I turn to a prayer warrior. I took my bath around 4:45am. I left my friends place at kuje 5:30. Get to d embassy 7am. We lined up around 7:45. I think i was around number 30. When we get in the chinko lady was doing biometrics and i thank God 4 that n hope she does nt finish b4 my turn. So many visiting visa granted and they continue denying the student visa. The guy in counter 8 and 9 were moderate but the white girl in counter 6 was jst denying people apart from the man b4 me. When She call next i stand up to meet her. Where are ur document pls i gave her d usual. Den She ask ur transcript n statement of account. I told her i dnt have a transcript but pages frm eportal result sheet from oau. She said no prob n she checked d result n gave it back to me without checking the statement of account. She ask which other schl i applied to n d course. She verified d course frm d net. She ask 4 my gre which i gave her n she commented about my quantitative score dat it is high n i told her im good in mathematics. She ask when did i serve n i told her i jst finish 16th of june. We talked about nysc, primary posting. Den She ask are u married n i said no. Visa granted. I think what one need is God, go thru all d pages of nairaland do research about d school and be really confident. Still in abuja to collect my passport on wednesday. Pls oh sori 4 all d mistakes im typing frm my phone.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adedayo55(m): 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2011
I woke up 2:30am i prayed 4 like 30 minutes. I turn to a prayer warrior. I took my bath around 4:45am. I left my friends place at kuje 5:30. Get to d embassy 7am. We lined up around 7:45. I think i was around number 30. When we get in the chinko lady was doing biometrics and i thank God 4 that n hope she does nt finish b4 my turn. So many visiting visa granted and they continue denying the student visa. The guy in counter 8 and 9 were moderate but the white girl in counter 6 was jst denying people apart from the man b4 me. When She call next i stand up to meet her. Where are ur document pls i gave her d usual. Den She ask ur transcript n statement of account. I told her i dnt have a transcript but pages frm eportal result sheet from oau. She said no prob n she checked d result n gave it back to me without checking the statement of account. She ask which other schl i applied to n d course. She verified d course frm d net. She ask 4 my gre which i gave her n she commented about my quantitative score dat it is high n i told her im good in mathematics. She ask when did i serve n i told her i jst finish 16th of june. We talked about nysc, primary posting. Den She ask are u married n i said no. Visa granted. I think what one need is God, go thru all d pages of nairaland do research about d school and be really confident. Still in abuja to collect my passport on wednesday. Pls oh sori 4 all d mistakes im typing frm my phone.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
adedayo55:

I woke up 2:30am i prayed 4 like 30 minutes. I turn to a prayer warrior. I took my bath around 4:45am. I left my friends place at kuje 5:30. Get to d embassy 7am. We lined up around 7:45. I think i was around number 30. When we get in the chinko lady was doing biometrics and i thank God 4 that n hope she does nt finish b4 my turn. So many visiting visa granted and they continue denying the student visa. The guy in counter 8 and 9 were moderate but the white girl in counter 6 was jst denying people apart from the man b4 me. When She call next i stand up to meet her. Where are your document pls i gave her d usual. Den She ask your transcript n statement of account. I told her i dnt have a transcript but pages frm eportal result sheet from oau. She said no prob n she checked d result n gave it back to me without checking the statement of account. She ask which other schl i applied to n d course. She verified d course frm d net. She ask 4 my gre which i gave her n she commented about my quantitative score dat it is high n i told her im good in mathematics. She ask when did i serve n i told her i jst finish 16th of june. We talked about nysc, primary posting. Den She ask are u married n i said no. Visa granted. I think what one need is God, go thru all d pages of nairaland do research about d school and be really confident. Still in abuja to collect my passport on wednesday. Pls oh sori 4 all d mistakes im typing frm my phone.
I agree those are the important things needed.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ChiDalu1: 7:21pm On Jun 27, 2011
Double Congratulations to Debbie & adedayo55. . . . this is indeed the season!!! God is faithful.

Pls i'd like to ask: Is it compulsory to present my degree certificate on the day of the interview?, cos I have only my Statement of result which shows my year of graduation and class of degree. I have not been able to go back to my school since i graduated to pick up my certificate. Will statement of result suffice?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by GboyegaD(m): 7:53pm On Jun 27, 2011
Chi-Dalu:

Double Congratulations to Debbie & adedayo55. . . . this is indeed the season!!! God is faithful.

Pls i'd like to ask: Is it compulsory to present my degree certificate on the day of the interview?, cos I have only my Statement of result which shows my year of graduation and class of degree. I have not been able to go back to my school since i graduated to pick up my certificate. Will statement of result suffice?

@Chi-Dalu, yes your statement / to whom it may concern should suffice. Some school do not issue certificate early enough.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by jamiu4real(m): 8:02pm On Jun 27, 2011
Hey guys i really appreciate the knowledge you people are sharing on this forum and i pray God will sure grant you guys your aim , have learn a lot from this thread and i found it very helpful and thoughtful for my nearest approaching in applying for US schools and how i can get prepare for the interview questions.

Can anyone tell me if i will be able to get student visa with Conditional Admission from a USA school cause the school may waive the TOEFL,GRE or SAT and any other standard test , and the school want to admit me with AMERICA LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL INSTITUTE test which am going to sit for the TEST over there in USA , am going for Undergraduate , please i need accurate answer for this question from someone competent .

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by anfanio: 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2011
jamiu4real:

Conditional Admission and TOEFL waiver means you are going to study English, your chances are not good. The key words are conditional and waiver you are going to spend a lot of money for that, if you present a very good bank account, then maybe.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by BabaGiwa: 10:43pm On Jun 27, 2011
@Waryz, Sorry for the late reply. I've been quite busy. Regarding the possible questions, there is a possibility of you being asked what Political Science is about. They might also ask you which courses you are going to take as requisites during your undergraduate studies (You might want to check your school's department for that). When I was asked, I didn't know at the time and I just started mentioning topics from Secondary school Government, grin grin. You might also want to know a bit about Nigeria's political history and American Presidents (past and present). Also, try to follow current political events like the war in Libya. They might want to engage you in a political debate and your dexterity could boost your chances (Who knows, they might not even bother checking any of your documents grin). Most importantly, be prayerful. Also make sure your documents are complete and defendable. And be CONFIDENT, Even if the person interviewing is on a denying streak, just approach him/her like you've don't have anything at stake. Regarding the fixed depost account,it's mostly advisable you use a current account which shows an inward and outward flow of cash. Although, someone has helped you with a good excuse if you decide to use the F.D and I pray the aren't any problems. Godspeed. By the way, Congrats to the successful applicants.

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.