Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,262 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women (25102 Views)

Senate Removes NYSC From The Constitution, Others (Pics) / National Assembly Moves To Invoke The Constitution Over Buhari's Health / Oyo State Signs Bill Prohibiting Violence Against Women (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by firstolalekan(m): 10:55am On May 22, 2016
undecided
Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by goingape: 10:57am On May 22, 2016
Ellyogun:
Nigeria doesn't favour women
then go Were they favour you undecided

or are you too BROKE to leave this country?

you all keep TALKING RUBBISH but living large.

the jobbing markets who is it favoring now? is it not you female!

you people have many opportunities in this country more than the men but yet keep talking RUBBISH!

I guess you want us to cut all our manhood and give it to you BEFORE you will know if this Constitution is actually favouring ya FOOLISH WOMENundecided well! even if we cut our manhood you people will still complain.

talk talk talk

talk.
talk

talk .

talking

7 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Nobody: 10:58am On May 22, 2016
Why did you quote me?undecided
virginboy1:

This kind thread dey sweet feminist for body...choi
Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by ibkgab001: 11:00am On May 22, 2016
Report your location baby we belong to the same June Family
Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by postmann: 11:01am On May 22, 2016
dinachi:
@ Op stop being silly. This is exactly how American males like you started fighting for women and ended up loosing their own rights too. Now dogs and pets have better rights than men in the US. Dont bring that nonsense here.

I have been many times assumed to be you. Though I have never come across your posts until now. I see why.

There are few areas the OP has some points, his other assertions are mere ignorance.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Decryptor(m): 11:01am On May 22, 2016
dinachi:
@ Op stop being silly. This is exactly how American males like you started fighting for women and ended up loosing their and toihts too. Now dogs and pets have better rights than men in the US. Dont bring that nonsense here.

God bless you 1 billion times! If the kind of rights given to American women is given to Nigerian women, you will see instances of where a man will struggle and toil, build a house and own assets only for his wife to just bring in another man and haveher husband framed up, locked up in jail or even killed for her to enjoy with her new boyfriend and nothing will happen. Most Nigerian women are generally selfish, greedy, materialistic and wicked!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by captianfreeman(m): 11:02am On May 22, 2016
Not surprise. That is why this enclave ,call Nigeria , is fantastically corrupt and backward. Apologies to Mr Cameron.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by EssienFM(m): 11:07am On May 22, 2016
Even in american they generally realised that protecting gay is a personal issue........ They voted out the Bill......... Read American democrat use a single vote to block LGBT protection Bill.......

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Nobody: 11:08am On May 22, 2016
... I read a comment above where the poster referred to women as foolish. Am sure u have a mother (whether dead or alive), u have sisters, will have a wife and daughters one day.
We should be careful of the words we use and how we use them irrespective of the fact that this is a faceless forum, because we might just be insulting ourselves and loved ones indirectly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by fretfingers: 11:11am On May 22, 2016
OP,

That of banning women from night work should not be in this list.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by HaneefahRN(f): 11:17am On May 22, 2016
Why are some men still crying on the thread undecided

Who collected your bread? Some people are so depressed and bitter every thread about women must degenerate into women bashing. It's a pitycheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by lezz(m): 11:18am On May 22, 2016
dinachi:
@ Op stop being silly. This is exactly how American males like you started fighting for women and ended up loosing their own rights too. Now dogs and pets have better rights than men in the US. Dont bring that nonsense here.
Thank you bro. I was still reading his misguided , ill thought-out claims until I came across your response. Nice one.

All I see is positive discrimination.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by nkemdi89(f): 11:23am On May 22, 2016
That of the police has to do with the job which officers and men of the regimented organisation has to obey,by getting pregnant without marriage doesn't speak well of a serving personnel as that may impede your performance in the job, the need for marriage approval is to document when you will be on maternity leave so as to make for another personnel to fill your duty post, also vetting is important for spouse in order to avoid a serving female personnel getting married to someone with criminal tendency as it's expected couples shares every secret. Why should a non police man prefers living in a barracks? Get a suitable accommodation, it's the duty of the man to provide accommodation for his family,in as much officers it's never conducive for a female to perform night duty except on exceptional reasons concerning a female suspect. A man can not rape his wife according to the bible they are one body.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by lezz(m): 11:33am On May 22, 2016
[b]*The idea of disallowing foreign men who married Nigerian women from being citizens of this country is welcomed cool The emotional vulnerability of women should rob them of this right. Not mentioning a vast majority who suffer from bad judgement.

* Women shouldn't work at night: there's rape out there. Since women are physically weaker and more blunt in perceiving real dangers, they should stay away from night duties.

* In the instance the father is alive and sound, a mother has no business giving consent of marriage. Women have proven to be taken by the jazz of emotions and quicksilver approach to life.

* The police is right in some restrictions of its female members.

*Rape is a serious crime of which punishment is severe. Burden of proof should be tough. "It is better for 10 guilty men to go unpunished than one innocent man to suffer in the hands of the law"

Since women could and have actually screamed rape when there was none, burden of proof should be made difficult as well.

All the other submissions are still subject to judicial interpretation with basic human rights and dignity setting the perceived discrimination aright.

All I see is positive discrimination. cool[/b]

6 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by marbee(f): 11:37am On May 22, 2016
Nigeria has a long way to go.
Now I know why it is called a Zoo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Savigne(f): 11:44am On May 22, 2016
That Nkem person above meyour last line is the reason why some people think Christianity is a joke...A woman will open her mouth to say a man cannot rape his wife?
Oghene biko ooo
To the guy above me,I hope you won't be getting married to one of these emotionally unstable creatures called women.
Mtscheeeeeew.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by zizirecords(m): 11:50am On May 22, 2016
Mikollon1:
These are a few ways the Nigeria descrimates against men.

1. MALE GENITAL MUTILATION.
Do you know that about 70% of males in the world are intact I.e. not genitally mutilated?
Our constitution bars FGM but MGM is okay.
Some will say GOD okays MGM. Well, GOD didn't okay it. The white man just told us his GOD okays it and despite our education, we're still stupid to know better.
Our traditional religion told us our GOD okays FGM. With education, we've realised that practice is bad. Yet we weren't afraid of applying it because it has to do with the girl child. The one that has to do with the male child, who cares?

2. MEN AFFAIRS
Ghana has a Ministry of Gender Affairs. Nigeria has a Ministry of Women Affairs. Ghaninians are smarter than us in this regard.

3. RAPE
Nobody cares when a woman rapes a man.

4. VIOLENCE
A banker in lagos severed her husband's manhood because he was broke. The story was in all major blogs yet no one batted an eyelid. The woman was invited to the station and was given an earful by the police but no charges were filled. Infact, a radio station in PH had it achors laugh at the man.

5. LIFE WORTH
The worth of a male life is less than that of a female's.
In 2014, BH attacked 2 coed schools. They killed and kidnapped some school boys only. The number of school boys kidnapped in both episodes are about 200. How many times have you heard of BRINGBACKOURBOYS or BRINGBACKOURBOYSANDGIRLS?

6. EMPLOYMENT
All job seekers know female applicants are given extra marks.
For example, a coy wants 10 people and the top 10 test scorers are all male. If the last male i.e. the 10 male scored 73% while the cut off was 70% and a female scored 70%, that female will be chosen and the male will be dropped.

7. MARRIAGE
Bride price? List? Is the man free of charge?
Nobody forces a woman to take the man's name.
Both surnames can be hyphenated:
NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA
OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE
DIEZANI ALLISON-MADUEKE

I think parts of our constitution is sexist against women though.

Women should work at night.
Women should be allowed to be foot soldiers on the frontlines. They should be the main MOPOL officers for female politicians. No male MOPOL should protect female politicians.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Morizo(m): 11:50am On May 22, 2016
nkemdi89:
That of the police has to do with the job which officers and men of the regimented organisation has to obey,by getting pregnant without marriage doesn't speak well of a serving personnel as that may impede your performance in the job, the need for marriage approval is to document when you will be on maternity leave so as to make for another personnel to fill your duty post, also vetting is important for spouse in order to avoid a serving female personnel getting married to someone with criminal tendency as it's expected couples shares every secret. Why should a non police man prefers living in a barracks? Get a suitable accommodation, it's the duty of the man to provide accommodation for his family,in as much officers it's never conducive for a female to perform night duty except on exceptional reasons concerning a female suspect. A man can not grape his wife according to the bible they are one body.
I beg to disagree with u sis. Women are even more susceptible to organise crime than men these days. The force should remove gender biases of any kind from its fold to meet up with International policing standards.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by lekjons(m): 11:51am On May 22, 2016
dinachi:
please can you enlighten me more about this?

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Nnemuka(f): 11:55am On May 22, 2016
when we have northerners as majority in the house as lawmakers what do you expect?

Nigeria's constitution if carefully studied was written based on islamic laws and religion.
women are treated like lesser beings over there.

By the way, what happens to a police officer who impregnates a police woman without being legally married to her? will both of them be sacked for engaging in an immoral act?

4 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Mcowubaba: 12:00pm On May 22, 2016
khalhokage:
And people still ask what feminists are fighting for?
Most Feminist are misguided set of individuals, the don't even know the main aim, history, theory, mission and vision of Feminism...
The just shout gender equality up and down....
Only very few knows exactly what Gender Equality and Feminism is talking about

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by nkemdi89(f): 12:13pm On May 22, 2016
Morizo:

I beg to disagree with u sis. Women are even more susceptible to organise crime than men these days. The force should remove gender biases of any kind from its fold to meet up with International policing standards.
But the constitution and police act didn't see it that way, besides the police act wasn't written in Nigeria but was only adopted, one thing again you should know is that acts are universal, officers and men of these organisations have been able to stick to the codes and ethics regarding the field. It can not be changed but only review to give room for the application of discretion on some exceptional cases.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Izen: 12:19pm On May 22, 2016
Mikollon1:
These are a few ways the Nigeria descrimates against men.

1. MALE GENITAL MUTILATION.
Do you know that about 70% of males in the world are intact I.e. not genitally mutilated?
Our constitution bars FGM but MGM is okay.
Some will say GOD okays MGM. Well, GOD didn't okay it. The white man just told us his GOD okays it and despite our education, we're still stupid to know better.
Our traditional religion told us our GOD okays FGM. With education, we've realised that practice is bad. Yet we weren't afraid of applying it because it has to do with the girl child. The one that has to do with the male child, who cares?

2. MEN AFFAIRS
Ghana has a Ministry of Gender Affairs. Nigeria has a Ministry of Women Affairs. Ghaninians are smarter than us in this regard.

3. RAPE
Nobody cares when a woman rapes a man.

4. VIOLENCE
A banker in lagos severed her husband's manhood because he was broke. The story was in all major blogs yet no one batted an eyelid. The woman was invited to the station and was given an earful by the police but no charges were filled. Infact, a radio station in PH had it achors laugh at the man.

5. LIFE WORTH
The worth of a male life is less than that of a female's.
In 2014, BH attacked 2 coed schools. They killed and kidnapped some school boys only. The number of school boys kidnapped in both episodes are about 200. How many times have you heard of BRINGBACKOURBOYS or BRINGBACKOURBOYSANDGIRLS?

6. EMPLOYMENT
All job seekers know female applicants are given extra marks.
For example, a coy wants 10 people and the top 10 test scorers are all male. If the last male i.e. the 10 male scored 73% while the cut off was 70% and a female scored 70%, that female will be chosen and the male will be dropped.

7. MARRIAGE
Bride price? List? Is the man free of charge?
Nobody forces a woman to take the man's name.
Both surnames can be hyphenated:
NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA
OMOTOLA JALADE-EKEINDE
DIEZANI ALLISON-MADUEKE

I think parts of our constitution is sexist against women though.

Women should work at night.
Women should be allowed to be foot soldiers on the frontlines. They should be the main MOPOL officers for female politicians. No male MOPOL should protect female politicians.

Let me just address your first point. When the purpose of a thing is unknown, abuse is imminent. Male genitaal mutilation is usually done for the sake of cleanliness. You know how dirt hides inside your navel? It's the same with an uncircumcised penis (you can read more about that). Female genital mutilation on the other hand is to prevent women from "being wayward". The clitoris is what gives women pleasure during sex and when it is cut off, a woman is as good as a sex robot or baby-making machine. She derives no pleasure from it. When a man is circumsized, it doesn't affect the pleasure he derives during sex. Personally, I feel a circumsized penis looks neater, finer and more presentable. Asides that, I see no reason for circumcision. But I get your point.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Mamatee07: 12:21pm On May 22, 2016
dinachi:

So because you are afraid laws will favour women you would rather your mother, sisters and daughters be discriminated against! What a weakling

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Mamatee07: 12:23pm On May 22, 2016
Nnemuka:
when we have northerners as majority in the house as lawmakers what do you expect?

Nigeria's constitution if carefully studied was written based on islamic laws and religion.
women are treated like lesser beings over there.

By the way, what happens to a police officer who impregnates a police woman without being legally married to her? will both of them be sacked for engaging in an immoral act?

Are the men in other regions better? Isn't it in the SE that women are still not allowed to inherit their father's properties? The men here supporting the discrimination against women are they from the North? All regions are guilty

4 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by dinachi(m): 12:30pm On May 22, 2016
Mamatee07:

So because you are afraid laws will favour women you would rather your mother, sisters and daughters be discriminated against! What a weakling
So because you are afraid the laws are balanced and does not confer any undue advantage to women you would rather your father, husband, brothers and sons be discriminated against. What a rotten puszy!

4 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 22, 2016
This Laws were made to protect the women no doubt, the truth is women don’t need the Gender equality Law because they are already being protected and provided by their husbands. They have never been discriminated against even in war times of the past it is the women and children dat will always be the first to be protected. While the husband goes to war and dies. This people keep making this look like women are slaves, my Grandma or your Grandma never regretted being mArried and being feminine rather than being Masculine and trying to compete with men, what’s the use.
Let the women come out and protest let’s see how many of them has been discriminated against.

4 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by theEYe21(f): 12:33pm On May 22, 2016
Nigeria has no future!
Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 22, 2016
They want equality; so many I see barely use 2% of their brains. Woman you like it or not, You were created by God to assist (help) not to be in charge (head)... Equality? not in Nigeria, no matter wettin una do.

1 Like

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Nobody: 1:01pm On May 22, 2016
nkemdi89:
That of the police has to do with the job which officers and men of the regimented organisation has to obey,by getting pregnant without marriage doesn't speak well of a serving personnel as that may impede your performance in the job, the need for marriage approval is to document when you will be on maternity leave so as to make for another personnel to fill your duty post, also vetting is important for spouse in order to avoid a serving female personnel getting married to someone with criminal tendency as it's expected couples shares every secret. Why should a non police man prefers living in a barracks? Get a suitable accommodation, it's the duty of the man to provide accommodation for his family,in as much officers it's never conducive for a female to perform night duty except on exceptional reasons concerning a female suspect. A man can not rape his wife according to the bible they are one body.

Wow! This is equivalent to a black person defending the enslavement of his people. I find it hard to believe you're a woman.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Ways The Constitution/Statutes Discriminate Against Women by Mikollon1(m): 1:09pm On May 22, 2016
Izen:

Let me just address your first point. When the purpose of a thing is unknown, abuse is imminent. Male genitaal mutilation is usually done for the sake of cleanliness. You know how dirt hides inside your navel? It's the same with an uncircumcised penis (you can read more about that). Female genital mutilation on the other hand is to prevent women from "being wayward". The clitoris is what gives women pleasure during sex and when it is cut off, a woman is as good as a sex robot or baby-making machine. She derives no pleasure from it. When a man is circumsized, it doesn't affect the pleasure he derives during sex. Personally, I feel a circumsized penis looks neater, finer and more presentable. Asides that, I see no reason for circumcision. But I get your point.

When I was a novice, I thought like you.

The reason why I stated 70% of males in the world are intact is for you to ask yourself how often you have heard of 70% of males complain of genital issues arising from hygiene.

I also attached a meme showing some statistics in my original post. Study it.

I've got more numbers for you:
About 80% of males in Europe are intact.
The number of intact men in the US has risen to about 50%.

The foreskin doesn't require much to clean. Just pull it backward n clean while showering. It's that simple.

By the way, ever asked yourself what your ear and ear lobes are for? Think about it.

There are varying types of FGM. There's the procedure that cuts completely the labia for hygiene reasons. Dirt hides there n makes the P stink. That's a good reason for MGM right? Or is there a better approach? Is it more human to teach the girls good hygiene? Sure it is!

How about teaching the boys good hygiene? God forbids that right?

Finally, the foreskin contains many times more nerve endings than the cleet.
Read more and enlighten yourself.

Just so you know, we genitally mutilate boys in this country just because a Rabbi says so.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Atiku, Raila Odinga, Peter Obi, Senator Ben Obi At UNIZIK Radio Station / Obasanjo Accuses Buhari Of Corruption, Says He Tampered With EFCC And ICPC / Declare Herdsmen Terrorists - South-East Leaders To FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.