Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? (10369 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by arogbowei: 11:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
JustCash, thanx for being tenacious and constant in pointing out where the fault lies. As for our friends, i won't mention their names, but they know who they are and the interests they represent on Nairaland. It is their type that collude with the corrupt rulers to keep us down, with them, a handfull of porridge is enough for to sell their birth right. We are not perturbed by their presence, they are not the first. We know who they resemble in the governemnts of yesteryears in Nigeria, they will suffer the same shame that those ones are living with.

For sure it is a known fact that in every land/clime, the government must provide a condusive environment for growth and development. Where such is missing, the government has failed and have no business being in power.

Of course, the citizens too must be law abiding, but what law do the citizens obey, when their rulers are above the law? When the rulers rule by example, then the citizens will follow suit.

Welldone JustCash. keep it up.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by arogbowei: 11:44pm On Dec 15, 2009
JustCash, thanx for being tenacious and constant in pointing out where the fault lies. As for our friends, i won't mention their names, but they know who they are and the interests they represent on Nairaland. It is their type that collude with the corrupt rulers to keep us down, with them, a handfull of porridge is enough for to sell their birth right. We are not perturbed by their presence, they are not the first. We know who they resemble in the governemnts of yesteryears in Nigeria, they will suffer the same shame that those ones are living with.

For sure it is a known fact that in every land/clime, the government must provide a condusive environment for growth and development. Where such is missing, the government has failed and have no business being in power.

Of course, the citizens too must be law abiding, but what law do the citizens obey, when their rulers are above the law? When the rulers rule by example, then the citizens will follow suit.

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 11:48pm On Dec 15, 2009
I agree with your explanation of development vis a vis growth to an extent. A good example of a developed but broke country would be Iceland i guess, but knowing them i'm sure they'll be just as rich in a few years.
But you certainly can't apply such a paradigm to Nigeria and many third world countries in general because they lag so far behind in other areas that economic growth has to a starting point. We mentioned the HDI(Human Development Index) a few days back in another thread. This HDI is what is the true reflection of standard of living as opposed to economic prosperity alone. Nigeria according to recent HDI scores is ranked around 157th (check UN site or just google the damn thing) in the world behind Ghana and Cameroun Inspite of our little savings.
While a country like Iceland would definitely drop a bit on the rankings cos of economic situation, Nigeria has a mountain to climb if she intends to be in the top 20 in 10 years. You have to look at food, housing , water, health, transportation , security etc all at the same time and ensuring we're as close to no. 1 as possible. That to me is impossible, and so 7 point agenda is a dead agenda.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 12:04am On Dec 16, 2009
ladej:

[size=14pt]Just to add to this. development is certainly different from growth

To grow is to increase in size or number. To develop is to increase one’s ability and desire to satisfy one’s own needs and legitimate desires and those of others. A legitimate desire is one that, when satisfied, does not impede the development of anyone else.

Development of individuals and corporations is more a matter of learning than earning. It has less to do with how much one has than how much one can do with whatever one has.

Development is better reflected in quality of life than in standard of living. Therefore, the level of development of a corporation is better reflected in the quality of work life it provides its employees than in its profit-and-loss statement.

If an undeveloped country or corporation was flooded with money it would be richer but no more developed[naija]. On the other hand, if a well developed country or corporation was suddenly deprived of wealth, it would not be less developed[the UK].

A well-developed country or corporation can do more with its resources than one that is less developed. This is not to say that the amount of resources available is irrelevant. Resources can be used to accelerate development and improve quality of life, but they can best be used for these purposes by those who are developed.

A lack of resources can limit growth but not development. The more developed individuals, organisations, or societies become the less they depend on resources and the more they can do with whatever resources they have. They also have the ability and the desire to create or acquire the resources they need.[/size]

ACKOFF, R. L. (1986). Management in Small Doses, Wiley, NY

Clap! Clap!!! Clap!!!

Now if only people can understand how increase in number of HIGHRISE BUILDINGS and GDP does not necessarily spell development!!! grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 12:05am On Dec 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Clap! Clap!!! Clap!!!

Now if only people can understand how increase in number of HIGHRISE BUILDINGS and GDP does not necessarily spell development!!! grin
yes my broda grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 12:08am On Dec 16, 2009
That's been the problem in Africa for decades. As I mentioned earlier, Nigeria has so much more Entrepreneurs (including small business owners, investors, etc) all put together than I can say countries like England can boast of, YET, we do not have near the level of development the same country had over 50 years ago. Even with increased size of investment from foreign companies and nation, Africa has yet to actually produce even two remotely serious developed countries. Nigeria, in the last decades has experienced tremendous growth in investment but in the same amount of time, it has recorded increased poverty, inflation rates and cost of living. We sure say na by textbox the real world dey function so? grin
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 12:35am On Dec 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

That's been the problem in Africa for decades. As I mentioned earlier, Nigeria has so much more Entrepreneurs (including small business owners, investors, etc) all put together than I can say countries like England can boast of, YET, we do not have near the level of development the same country had over 50 years ago. Even with increased size of investment from foreign companies and nation, Africa has yet to actually produce even two remotely serious developed countries. Nigeria, in the last decades has experienced tremendous growth in investment but in the same amount of time, it has recorded increased poverty, inflation rates and cost of living. We sure say na by textbox the real world dey function so? grin

you are quite right
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by kcjazz(m): 12:46am On Dec 16, 2009
The idea that the government is solely responsible for development is faulty. Who are the government? Who voted or in our case who enabled rigging? The fallen values and leadership is everyones responsibility. When I say leadership I don't just mean political it has to do with family, religious (churches and mosques have to promote values), professional (teacher, police, entrepreneur, lawyers)

Here are some key indices that would foster development

Equality- For all tribes.
Zero corruption- Someone has got to say no. The government must create an efficient legal system, as citizens we must promote a culture to be ethical in our business, someone has got to say no. No legal system is perfect in the world but efficiency will give reprieve to those who feel trust has been violated.
A sound education system- Government enable the field by investing in research, scholarships, infrastructure etc Citizens who invest in this sectors must show a dedication to excel.
Culture of merit and creativity- We must do things differently
Discipline of dedication and hard work

Everyone has a role to play
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by jingoma(m): 1:36am On Dec 16, 2009
Quote from: Kobojunkie on December 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
@Justcash, Nigeria is difficult to develop because those who want it developed are doing nothing but folding their hands and coming up with reasons why what we have now is not bad at all.

Thank you, And that is it right there wink
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 2:04am On Dec 16, 2009
^ Absolute bunkass, see people plying the streets day and night trying to make a living and you say peoples arms are folded. Corrupt civil servants, directors and Perm secs who are past retirement age but still cling to the system to extort contractors and tell young graduates, "the govt cannot employ everyone you know". But the senile barsterds themselves would never retire and take their supposed expertise to the private sector.
Testimony from Chinese who have been in South Africa and now in Nigeria tell us that compared to south Africans, Nigerians are hard workers. The same useless govt that deprived us of telecom till Zimbabweans and South Africans came to rescue us and render their crappy Nitel worthless.
A country that cannot refine It's own petrol and doesn't even feel ashamed to say Cartels are hampering efforts at providing fuel- venezuelan ambassador recently embarrassed Dora when he disagreed with deregulation.
To crown it all, Ghana conducted credible elections, what a shame the leadership is. Thank God Obama didn't soil his credibility by coming to this cess pit.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by mamagee3(f): 2:08am On Dec 16, 2009
How can Nigeria develop when we have a sickler for a president? undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 2:15am On Dec 16, 2009
@jingoma, grin i wasn't lashing out at you, just speaking in agreement when temper flared.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Dec 16, 2009
edoyad:

^ Absolute bunkass, see people plying the streets day and night trying to make a living and you say peoples arms are folded. Corrupt civil servants, directors and Perm secs who are past retirement age but still cling to the system to extort contractors and tell young graduates, "the govt cannot employ everyone you know". But the senile barsterds themselves would never retire and take their supposed expertise to the private sector.

People plying the streets day and night has absolutely nothing to do with FIXING Nigeria. We at least need to understand the difference between development and growth as the post by @Ladej tries to explain. Plying to streets day and night to put food on YOUR TABLE has little to do with development. We have been doing that in Africa for centuries; why else do you think that has yet to translate to development?

Those you label senile bastards, they toil to steal as much as they can but at the end of the day, even they cannot boast of actual development in their lives. We have seen pictures of old thieves living like savages. Is that development?

edoyad:

Testimony from Chinese who have been in South Africa and now in Nigeria tell us that compared to south Africans, Nigerians are hard workers.
That does not translate to mean Nigeria is MORE DEVELOPED than South Africa though. Why are we so resistant to these simple facts?

edoyad:

The same useless govt that deprived us of telecom till Zimbabweans and South Africans came to rescue us and render their crappy Nitel worthless.
Oh boy~

edoyad:

A country that cannot refine It's own petrol and doesn't even feel ashamed to say Cartels are hampering efforts at providing fuel- venezuelan ambassador recently embarrassed Dora when he disagreed with deregulation.
To crown it all, Ghana conducted credible elections, what a shame the leadership is. Thank God Obama didn't soil his credibility by coming to this cess pit.

The Nigerian leaders are not ALIENS FROM MARS or JUPITER. They are Nigerians with support from average Nigerians; we have many here on Nairaland who are cronies of the same leaders you seem to loathe. Are you certain then that the leaders are the ONLY problems we have in Nigeria? Last I checked, next to 100% of our leaders are full-blooded Nigerians ( born and raised) with families and friends who also happen to be Nigerians.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 3:25am On Dec 16, 2009
People plying the streets doesn't mean they're working hard eh junkie ? Tell that to the 1 million hawkers on Nigerian streets who could be carrying arms and ending lives of innocent people if they choose to.
Nigeria's leadership have been the same elements since the time of the man who institutionalised corruption, IBB. Transparency International ranks countries based on transactions, Nigeria is an oil economy where most of the dealings take place with govt.
Last time i checked most Nigerians claimed the people in power aren't their choice but the choice of the PDP in collusion with the state apparatus.
Who are the people flying hard currency out of Nigeria into foreign accounts, is it common Nigerians.
Somalia, Liberia, Sierraleone and many others were like Nigeria today till some people got tired. No amount of houses on hill tops in minna or farms in ota will save anyone when the angry get tired of being angry. The illusion that 65k to ijaw youths has quelled the fire is an error to highest degree. It takes a spark to burn a warehouse.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Dec 16, 2009
edoyad:

People plying the streets doesn't mean they're working hard eh junkie ? Tell that to the 1 million hawkers on Nigerian streets who could be carrying arms and ending lives of innocent people if they choose to.
Nigeria's leadership have been the same elements since the time of the man who institutionalised corruption, IBB. Transparency International ranks countries based on transactions, Nigeria is an oil economy where most of the dealings take place with govt.
Last time i checked most Nigerians claimed the people in power aren't their choice but the choice of the PDP in collusion with the state apparatus.
Who are the people flying hard currency out of Nigeria into foreign accounts, is it common Nigerians.
Somalia, Liberia, Sierraleone and many others were like Nigeria today till some people got tired. No amount of houses on hill tops in minna or farms in ota will save anyone when the angry get tired of being angry. The illusion that 65k to ijaw youths has quelled the fire is an error to highest degree. It takes a spark to burn a warehouse.

Please, before we even go further, can you please extract the line in my post where you get your first question or logic from

edoyad:

Where is the above in what I have up there?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 3:59am On Dec 16, 2009
arogbowei:

@arogbowei: Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 4:08am On Dec 16, 2009
@Justcash:I 2 also appreciate your energy.
But doing business and creating jobs is not development. It's called food on the table.
We need to first develop ourselves mentally before making any attempt to develop the country.
You can pump billions of Naira into the economy daily, if the society is uncivilized, the outcome of your investment will be a waste of money and time.

Nigerians are not civilized and this is one of the reasons why our leaders refuse to recognize their responsibilities.
Civilization starts from our homes.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:45am On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

But doing business and creating jobs is not development. It's called food on the table.
We need to first develop ourselves mentally before making any attempt to develop the country.
You can pump billions of Naira into the economy daily, if the society is uncivilized, the outcome of your investment will be a waste of money and time.
Nigerians are not civilized and this is one of the reasons why our leaders refuse to recognize their responsibilities.

Man, I appreciate. I am not saying the government should throw cash into the economy. I am saying the they should provide basic amenities i.e Light, Security, good roads, water, good education etc so that private individuals can actually start up business ventures, with these amenities as the bedrock of their competitivness.
When they do that, they should make loan facilities available to Nigerians who wants to start up businesses or who have very inpressive developmental ideas, Ofcourse with collateral and strict regulation. They will collect the loan back overtime. This is done in every developed country. There are Nigerians that have very impressive ideas, that are lying bare in waste.
My point is that even a barber or recharge card seller cannot grow conviniently in business without basic amenities, which is important for the payment of taxes to the government. This is the reason for the high rate of business failure in Nigeria. Once there is no fuel due to scarcity, a subsistent barber will be out of business, and probably use up his capital while trying to survive.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:55am On Dec 16, 2009
Depilot:

The highlighted sentence is wrong.
Businesses 1. create jobs. 2. pay taxes.3. provide services 4. provide CSR (Like Glo and thisday) 5. contribute to rise in wage rate 6. Patronise and pay for basic amenities more 7. Patronise complimentary businesses etc the list in endless. Business is the very blood that keeps an economy alive. If it doesn't function efficiently in an economy, then the growth and development of an economy is at risk. Nigeria is a case study.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:10am On Dec 16, 2009
All Yar'adua and co needs to do is to
Make Electric  power supply constant
Provide security
Provide good and motorable roads
Remove the administrative bottle necks involved in registering businesses and getting product certificates.
Have less involvement, but more regulation in micro-economic activities in Nigeria (Mixed economic control system)
Provide FDI incentives
Fund innovative and well planned business proposals by Nigerians, through banks (CBN), with needed inputs, collateral and ensure the repayment of loans.
Create a good tax regime and local content specifications
Ensure the protection of intellectual property rights
Differentiate between industrial and residential areas
Ensure the establishment of a watch dog agancy (EFCC) that can ensure a strict administration of penalties for crimes (e.g Bribery, robbery, tax default etc)
Once these are done in the short-term, the Development magic will spark.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by mccloud224(m): 5:35am On Dec 16, 2009
Nigeria is difficult to develop because it's governed by NIGERIANS!

We don't like the idea of orderliness/discipline in anything e.g jumping queues at the bank,filling station,contract execution and governance. And as it is, there is no remedy.We are who we are.

Period!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 5:43am On Dec 16, 2009
@Kobojunkie: I still don't get your point. What are you trying to explain? I don't make sentimental arguments because I have no time for that.
Are you saying that our very currupt politicians know what they are doing in power?
Does stealing public funds for private use make them smarter than an average business man?
How do you fight politicians with enormouse ill gotten wealth that use frustrated thugs, who are products of their misrule to coerce and suppress the electorates? MEND tried to fight, you saw how it ended.
Your statement is confusing. At first I thought you were trying to say that they are doing the right thing, but I forced myself not to believe that.
If you are voted by the people, you have the people's lives in your hand. You have the power to make their lives good or bad. When you choose to make it bad, it only means that the elctorates voted wrongly. A recall is only possible in truely democratic countries, which Nigeria is not among.
The root of the problem is that we have the wrong political marchinery in place. This is the reason why Nigeria continues to be a snoring giant.

One day, It will be so unbearable that Nigerians will rise against them. That period will be chaotic (And may signal the end of the union called Nigeria)
[center][/center]The Tree of liberty is watered by the blood of patriots.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 6:33am On Dec 16, 2009
Justcash:

@Kobojunkie: I still don't get your point. What are you trying to explain? I don't make sentimental arguments because I have no time for that.

I am NOT trying to MAKE points. Just trying to discuss as I want to and if you get it, fine. If not, then maybe you do not need to bother yourself with my write up. I have been on nairaland long enough to know that it is not necessarily the case that we are all ready for actual development. FINGERPOINTING and TAKING SIDES is sort of an integral aspects of 99.9% of Nigerian problem solving methods. Many of us ARE ok with continuing the old ways, recycling old failed logics – always expecting things to AUTOMAGICALLY happen for their good. I have come to accept that in the real world, that does not happen . . . never really does.

PLEASE GO BACK A PAGE OR TWO AND READ @Ladej’s post, then read my responses to that post and I hope after then, you would get the point to the QUESTIONS I have asked from the very first page of this thread. I prefer YOU GET the point all on your own, rather than you having me trying to spoon feed it to you.

Justcash:

Are you saying that our very currupt politicians know what they are doing in power?
YES! I am saying the men are corrupt because THEY WANT TO BE CORRUPT, so you ranting that THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO makes no sense at all.

Justcash:

Does stealing public funds for private use make them smarter than an average business man?
Is your average business man SMARTER for ALLOWING them continue stealing public funds ?

Justcash:

How do you fight politicians with enormouse ill gotten wealth that use frustrated thugs, who are products of their misrule to coerce and suppress the electorates? MEND tried to fight, you saw how it ended.

MEND tried to fight? Seriously, is this your comeback explaining why we have on the most part chosen to fold our arms and cook up reasons why the status quo is not hell enough for us?

Justcash:

Your statement is confusing. At first I thought you were trying to say that they are doing the right thing, but I forced myself not to believe that.
Is it possible that my statement confused you because you read it EXPECTING me to pick a side on this? I am certain that I was clear in what I meant.

Justcash:

If you are voted by the people, you have the people's lives in your hand. You have the power to make their lives good or bad.

The people have the power to throw you out the door IF you do not produce/achieve/live up to their expectation. So, again, it is not one-sided in my view.

Justcash:

When you choose to make it bad, it only means that the elctorates voted wrongly. A recall is only possible in truely democratic countries, which Nigeria is not among.

Dude!!! Nigeria, on paper is a democracy and it is not going to AUTOMAGICALLY become a true democracy until the people start to play the role democracy REQUIRES they play here.

Justcash:

The root of the problem is that we have the wrong political marchinery in place. This is the reason why Nigeria continues to be a snoring giant.

We have had this wrong political machinery for well over 40 years. Dem say, fool me you, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me. . . You sure the WRONG POLITICAL machinery, which is no new phenomena, is the only root problem, even after 40 years of it?

Justcash:
One day, It will be so unbearable that Nigerians will rise against them. That period will be chaotic (And may signal the end of the union called Nigeria)
[center][/center]The Tree of liberty is watered by the blood of patriots.
Oh please!!!! I remember the same thing was said back when we had Babangida, Abacha etc.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 8:09am On Dec 16, 2009
^ During Babangida and Abacha, soldiers could confidently walk the streets of the south south and rest assured nothing could befall them. Now people i know personally in service tell of how they dread going into town wearing the their military attire. 65k per month might have bought some spare time, but i'm sure even you, kobo junkie, know that the bloodiest wars don't begin overnight. Go and read about most civil wars and you'll know that when the time is ripe, a mosquito could trigger armageddon.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 8:29am On Dec 16, 2009
edoyad:

^ During Babangida and Abacha, soldiers could confidently walk the streets of the south south and rest assured nothing could befall them. Now people i know personally in service tell of how they dread going into town wearing the their military attire. 65k per month might have bought some spare time, but i'm sure even you, kobo junkie, know that the bloodiest wars don't begin overnight. Go and read about most civil wars and you'll know that when the time is ripe, a mosquito could trigger armageddon.

That the bloodiest wars don’t begin overnight is NO EXCUSE for what we have both enabled and allowed for the past 10 years at least. You do realize we are already 10 years into democracy. . . . Yes, with no soldiers and no dictators to BLAME our spinelessness on, right?

If we are unwilling to PLAY OUR PART( do our duties as citizens in a democratic republic), and ACCEPT BLAME for the part we have played in creating and enabling the problem, then, is there a reason to expect we have better than what we continue to ALLOW of our own actions/inaction? Why don’t we postpone our dreams till such a time as we are ready to ACT to see them come to fruition rather than continue to point fingers the other way but never realizing, and accepting we have been and continue to be part and parcel of the problem?

We have folks here laying it on government, but after this thread moves to the archives, will this GOVERNMENT autoMAGICALLY start doing things for the people? Will this government start functioning in the interest of the people? Will continuing to fold our hands help change things? Like I said earlier, the reason why Nigeria is barely experiencing DEVELOPMENT (not to be confused with superficial growth**) in any area is because the people, who are supposed to control government are busy folding their hands and looking for little good things here and there to mollify themselves. How else do you explain a situation where a man who lives in a slum that has been neglected by government for so long(the smell of feces in the air, and all around ), believes the governor is the best thing that ever happened because he was one of the recipients of some Naira 500 phone card given away during the governor’s campaign? This same governor has done next to nothing to help ease the basic burdens of the people in the state, let alone the slum he lives in.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by mikkyrazzy: 8:51am On Dec 16, 2009
We have more than enough money to build and manage the Nigeria of today and another "Nigeria" of the present size. Lagos-shagamu road was just re-awarded and the sum involved is about 20billion - Bode George stole 85billion: it means he stole money enough to build (repair) 4 of that kind of road. What am I saying? if we consider the amount of stolen money in the country alone, we should know that we have by far ore than enough to build a "brand new" Nigeria.

If just the basic amenities are provided for, I tell you the truth we have very willing Nigerian who can do their best to turn the economy around. Nigeria of today is a bloody consumer nation. I work in one of the Airports and I know what I'm saying. The way goods from all manner of countries come into Nigeria, you can't just beleive it. Now the effect is this;you have very cheap labour in places like China such that the cost of production of goods is far lower than in Nigeria. When goods produced from such a country comes in (at a cheaper rate), the automatic effect is a crashing of prices of what we produce here. The cost of production here is dependent on things like electricity which we cannot boast of, so where does this development start when people who are benefiting from the situation wouldn't allow it.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 16, 2009
Stop talking about economics etc,  Any nation on this planet can survive without external help if education and food is provided for the nation by the citizens for the citizens. You folks keep quoting economics here and talking about GDP blah blah as if the guy searching the trash can cans for food knows what that means. Nigerians are the most elitist set of people I have ever encountered in my life. Even at the low level, there is still elitism. Why? What good is all the buildings in Dubai when all the amenities they have depends on tourists to sustain itself? The poor population is unbelievable I have been there. It's an extremely elitist society yet many fools make it a punchline to say "I'll turn Anambra to Dubai" and people are cheering him. So you hate Anambra that much that Anambra can't be a place where other places in the world want to be like? Are we just programmed to subconsciously hate the reflection in the mirror or what? Many people see what the people need as a mean to make money instead of as a call to help out. Why? Why haven't people intellectually evolved? It's the same around the world. There is no developed nation on this planet if development means moving people forward. The entire planet is a third world and a shithole. No where is better let's not deceive ourselves.

In my own words, this is the true dark age with artificial lightening source (Technology). Nothing is better things are getting worse. Name one aspect of our current global society that you think is good.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by illusion2: 9:11am On Dec 16, 2009
Kobojunkie,never makes any CLEAR point. . . .a solid example of a rabble rouser if u ask me? undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 9:20am On Dec 16, 2009
illusion2:

Kobojunkie,never makes any CLEAR point. . . .a solid example of a rabble rouser if u ask me? undecided

I second that, though I noticed it late. undecided
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 16, 2009
Stop talking about economics etc, Any nation on this planet can survive without external help if education and food is provided for the nation by the citizens for the citizens. You folks keep quoting economics here and talking about GDP blah blah as if the guy searching the trash can cans for food knows what that means. Nigerians are the most elitist set of people I have ever encountered in my life. Even at the low level, there is still elitism. Why? What good is all the buildings in Dubai when all the amenities they have depends on tourists to sustain itself? The poor population is unbelievable I have been there. It's an extremely elitist society yet many fools make it a punchline to say "I'll turn Anambra to Dubai" and people are cheering him. So you hate Anambra that much that Anambra can't be a place where other places in the world want to be like? Are we just programmed to subconsciously hate the reflection in the mirror or what? Many people see what the people need as a mean to make money instead of as a call to help out. Why? Why haven't people intellectually evolved? It's the same around the world. There is no developed nation on this planet if development means moving people forward. The entire planet is a third world and a shithole. No where is better let's not deceive ourselves.

In my own words, this is the true dark age with artificial lightening source (Technology). Nothing is better things are getting worse. Name one aspect of our current global society that you think is good.

I need my weed again!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 16, 2009
9jaganja:

Stop talking about economics etc, Any nation on this planet can survive without external help if education and food is provided for the nation by the citizens for the citizens. You folks keep quoting economics here and talking about GDP blah blah as if the guy searching the trash can cans for food knows what that means. Nigerians are the most elitist set of people I have ever encountered in my life. Even at the low level, there is still elitism. Why? What good is all the buildings in Dubai when all the amenities they have depends on tourists to sustain itself? The poor population is unbelievable I have been there. It's an extremely elitist society yet many fools make it a punchline to say "I'll turn Anambra to Dubai" and people are cheering him. So you hate Anambra that much that Anambra can't be a place where other places in the world want to be like? Are we just programmed to subconsciously hate the reflection in the mirror or what? Many people see what the people need as a mean to make money instead of as a call to help out. Why? Why haven't people intellectually evolved? It's the same around the world. In my own words, this is the true dark age with artificial lightening source (Technology).

You are absolutely right there. This thread reveals that we have too many proud and vain people in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 16, 2009
Justcash:

Man, I appreciate. I am not saying the government should throw cash into the economy. I am saying the they should provide basic amenities i.e Light, Security, good roads, water, good education etc so that private individuals can actually start up business ventures, with these amenities as the bedrock of their competitivness.
When they do that, they should make loan facilities available to Nigerians who wants to start up businesses or who have very inpressive developmental ideas, Ofcourse with collateral and strict regulation. They will collect the loan back overtime. This is done in every developed country. There are Nigerians that have very impressive ideas, that are lying bare in waste.

You still don't get it do you. Your way of thinking is compltely retrogressive and out of tune with the times. We are saying that the FGN pumping more money would result in hyperinflation and rise in interest rates, since they currently spend more than they earn.  First of all faniliarize yourself with the federal budget before coming here to rant.
So it is quite futile to think the FGN can grow the economy just by giving money to indigenous contractors.
They should just focus on properly recruiting. training, and equipping the police, mass literacy schemes and  youth technical education.
Leave business to the private banks and companies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

So There Was A Fight @ The National Assembly And No News Network Carried It. / Meet The World Richest Family. / INEC Sets Up Situation Room, Collation Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.