Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? (10372 Views)

Tunde Bakare Worried That APC Govt Is Finding It Difficult To Bring "Change" / Who Is The Most Corrupt President In Nigeria So Far? / What Is So Difficult In Road Building? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by agitator: 1:53pm On Dec 15, 2009
DOAweb:

SIMPLES:

A culture of greed that rules the entire fabric of the society defies development in every shape or form!! sad

True

Justcash:

From all indications if we have the money to provide these things, development will be achieved right? Nigeria has the money, why is our development difficult?
This is why I asked why such roads are difficult to build in Nigeria to encourage businesses? Why are the basic infrastructures so difficult to provide? Are Nigerians allergic to such provisions? We actually have the money to get these things, but despite the allocation of huge public funds by the govt, things are never gotten right. Why?

because people like you complain but change dramatically as soon as they get to the seat.  I have witnessed several.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Ben13: 2:31pm On Dec 15, 2009
It seem so
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Mekana(m): 3:05pm On Dec 15, 2009
agitator:

True

because people like you complain but change dramatically as soon as they get to the seat.  I have witnessed several.
What is the need for the above assertion? People like u blame the victim for the crimes of the predator. Hold the leaders and elites accountable for their greed, avrice and nepotism, which are the reasons for Nigeria's underdevelopment. Also, the political system encourage sectionalism and tribalism. If nigeria polity is built of principles - ideological divide, Nigerians would be debating ideological issues in politics, not common and basic issues like infrastructure and dirty ones like corruption and kidnappings. Pls don't give politician a pass, they should be held accountable for their stewardship.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 15, 2009
Justcash:

@ tensor777: Apart from an inadequate primary health care sector, we have alot of literacy schemes in Nigeria, both by the Government and private sectors. If you are not aware, we have an abundance of technical skills that have become redundant and obsolete due to lack of practical application. Primary health care will be good only if it will be free because at the moment many Nigerians cannot afford it.
It still boils down to my point that with the provision of a good macro-environment, entrepreneurs will utilise those technical skills, Literacy schemes will become an effective way of instilling and upgrading skills to be applied in these entrepreneurial ventures, and primary health care can become affordable when wage rate increases, improves due to high employment rate and expands due to industrial competition.

Why do you keep talking nonsense. The point I was making is that a literate skilled population catalyse socio-economic development. There are loads of Nigerians today who are living productive lives both in the country and beyond due to early investment in education and skills training. Many of them have set up flourishing businesses without any government largesse.
Today developed countries invest trillions of dollars in education and youth skills-training schemes. If Nigeria is to remain competitive it has to totally eradicate illiteracy and invest in technical training,
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by hackney(m): 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
The old recycled farts leading the country have a collective (probably generational) culture of doing nothing and having kick-backs here and there.

Unless they are wiped out like Rawlings did, we will still be here 20 years down the line saying the same thing.
This is because they wont let young vibrant minds in to effect change because their uselessness will become too clear.

Look at fashola ; He is a glaring eg of how useless the other governors are.

Development has to first and foremost be stimulated by the govt by creating incentives.
Not embezzling salaries and infrastructural funds.

Earlier this year members of the house of senate came to physical blows because of monetary allowance.
Recycled enemy-of-progress old farts.

What on earth can i do when the govt does not care? you lot must be joking.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by BlueMagic2(m): 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2009
Nigeria! Nigeria! Naija! That is one sick country it pains me that am from that country. The developed worlds are talking of ways to grow human parts to replace old or disfunctional ones due to diseases, sickness, accidents etc,. They are discussin about protectin the earth's atmosphere which is depleting. These they want to achieve by manufacturing hybrid cars which emit less CO2, consumes less fuel. What is Nigeria talkin about. Light, water, shelter, food. When we are blessed with abundant natural & human resources. To go from Step 1 to Step 2 is no Rocket science. Some1 should do us a favour & kill all our leaders for putting us in these shameful state. Why shouldn't the youths indulge in shameful acts when the leaders are showing no good example! DEATH TO ALL OUR LEADERS for failing us!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2009
Blue Magic:

shouldn't the youths indulge in shameful acts when the leaders are showing no good example!

Well everyone is accountable for his own actions. So anyone that goes into crime for instance should be ready to face the consequences if convicted.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:18pm On Dec 15, 2009
tensor777:

Well everyone is accountable for his own actions. So anyone that goes into crime for instance should be ready to face the consequences if convicted.

I bet they are ready to face the consequences. The rate of negative acts by Nigerians (especially youths), despite their dangerous consequences points to the fact that they are ready to bear the after effects. An example is the Nigerian youths that traffic drugs in Singapore and other South East Asian countries, where no jupiter will save them from a death sentence if they are caught.
"Get rich or die trying"  That is the attitude they exhibit.
I don't blame them. When the rich and ruling Nigerian elite sit on the opportunities of the budding and ambitious Nigerian youths, the result is a dangerous struggle and scamper in the jungle to make it by hook or crook.
A very Sad situation
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 4:20pm On Dec 15, 2009
^ Then how come governors and ministers are looting withnnv being convicted ? Isn't embezzlement a crime ?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:31pm On Dec 15, 2009
edoyad:

^ Then how come governors and ministers are looting withnnv being convicted ? Isn't embezzlement a crime ?

A sign of greed, lack of political will, selfishness, heartlessness and low intellect. It exposes the perception of leadership as a means of getting rich, than serving the people in Nigeria.

agitator:

True
because people like you complain but change dramatically as soon as they get to the seat. I have witnessed several.
Well, it takes passion and political will to ensure change. Man, I don't know how I will get to that post and not stimulate development. What I have seen for over 13 years going around the world has created an indepth will that in unwavering in me. It will be difficult for me to loose focus and let Nigeria lie dead. God Forbid bad thing!!!!
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 4:42pm On Dec 15, 2009
The funny thing is, when you look at a GDP of about $ 300 billion, growth averaging 6-7% in the last few years, potential for growth in transportation, Agric, HOUSING, just name it; you wonder how stupid can the leadership be to miss out on an opportunity to become gods in Nigeria's history ?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by tokunegiye(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2009
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU MINE BY DEVELOPMENT BEING EASY OR DIFFICULT BUT WHAT I KNOW AND HAVE COME TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT NIGERIA AND NIGERIANS   sad shocked :-XARE NOT YET READY FOR DEVELOPMENT. A NATION CAN NOT BE DEVELOP IF IT PEOPLE ARE NOT READY TO FOR DEVELOPMENT, WE ARE SO SELFISH  THAT WE THINK LETTLE OF THE UNBORN GENERATION. NIGERIA IT IS EVERY ONE FOR HIMSELF SO HOW CAN WE DEVELOP  embarassedAS A NATION cry
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by cashful(m): 4:47pm On Dec 15, 2009
lack of political will and ideas is what keeps us where we are
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 4:55pm On Dec 15, 2009
edoyad:

The funny thing is, when you look at a GDP of about $ 300 billion, growth averaging 6-7% in the last few years, potential for growth in transportation, Agric, HOUSING, just name it; you wonder how silly can the leadership be to miss out on an opportunity to become gods in Nigeria's history ?

They can't even see the opportunities. They are so blinded by acute curruption and political power struggle.

undecided
tokunegiye:

A NATION CAN NOT BE DEVELOP IF IT PEOPLE ARE NOT READY TO FOR DEVELOPMENT, WE ARE SO SELFISH  THAT WE THINK LETTLE OF THE UNBORN GENERATION. NIGERIA IT IS EVERY ONE FOR HIMSELF SO HOW CAN WE DEVELOP  embarassedAS A NATION cry
Don't generalise. If we are not ready we will not become successful in other countries. I pay 0.4million dollars as tax per annum in a foreign country. Convert it to Naira and imagine what the impact will be in a Nigerian state's economy. If they did the right stuffs, My factory would have helped to stimulate development in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Meldrick(m): 5:27pm On Dec 15, 2009
edoyad:

The funny thing is, when you look at a GDP of about $ 300 billion, growth averaging 6-7% in the last few years, potential for growth in transportation, Agric, HOUSING, just name it; you wonder how silly can the leadership be to miss out on an opportunity to become gods in Nigeria's history ?

Unfortunately we have leaders who lack ideas. Lazy and dull brains who hard no vision before stepping into government. The idea of governance in Nigeria has been sterotyped and patterned towards one sector(oil sector) and they see it as impossible to harness the gains that exist in the other sectors.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 5:31pm On Dec 15, 2009
Justcash:

They can't even see the opportunities. They are so blinded by acute curruption and political power struggle.
Who exactly are you referring to in this case? What group of people?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by edoyad(m): 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2009
@Kobojunkie ofcourse be means the political powers
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Dec 15, 2009
edoyad:

@Kobojunkie ofcourse be means the political powers

Then, I have to say that seems one of the major issues with the Nigeria psyche. Why do we ASSUME that these inept individuals are CLUELESS? They travel abroad more than most Nigerians could ever dream of doing. They shop in developed countries, educate their ward in some of the most expensive schools out there. They ensure they do all they can to get as much as possible for themselves, and go as far as to arrange their kids be married off to individuals who they believe would ensure they are taken care of. Yet we somehow think they are the clueless one here?

Are you saying that CLUELESS individuals are the ones who do all that is possible to get as much as they can for THEMSELVES first ?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Justcash(m): 6:26pm On Dec 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Then, I have to say that seems one of the major issues with the Nigeria psyche. Why do we ASSUME that these inept individuals are CLUELESS? They travel abroad more than most Nigerians could ever dream of doing. They shop in developed countries, educate their ward in some of the most expensive schools out there. They ensure they do all they can to get as much as possible for themselves, and go as far as to arrange their kids be married off to individuals who they believe would ensure they are taken care of. Yet we somehow think they are the clueless one here?

Are you saying that CLUELESS individuals are the ones who do all that is possible to get as much as they can for THEMSELVES first ?

I don't get your point. Is that not a betrayal of the electorates trust? Does siphoning public funds for personal use show that they have a clue of what they are surppose to be doing in Power? Explain yourself better so that I can understand. From all indications, what you wrote still shows that they are so blinded by curruption that they cannot recognise opportunities to become Nigerian political legends with some visible favourable economic trends.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Kobojunkie: 6:46pm On Dec 15, 2009
Justcash:

I don't get your point. Is that not a betrayal of the electorates trust?
No it is NOT! Nothing in Democracy states that the electorates HAVE TO trust their elected leaders. Democracy, by giving power to the people essentially gives the people the express right to call for removal of electorates NOT doing the job for which they were hired for.

Justcash:

Does siphoning public funds for personal use show that they have a clue of what they are suppose to be doing in Power?
Siphoning of public funds DOES NOT SHOW that they have no clue what they are supposed to do when in Power. You are trying to argue apples and nails here. It is possible to know the right thing to do but still CHOOSE to do wrong.

Justcash:

Explain yourself better so that I can understand. From all indications, what you wrote still shows that they are so blinded by curruption that they cannot recognise opportunities to become Nigerian political legends with some visible favourable economic trends.

No. It does not show that. There are no indications that these men are blind in anyway. They do recognize the vast opportunities available to them and take advantage of it in the way they know to. Many of these individuals are business men, only they are mostly involved in businesses to make them QUICK money, just as many non-political Nigerians seem to be, as well. It is obviously easier to make a million through corrupt means than to make the same amount by doing businesses. So why would you believe a person who chooses to get fast cash is blind and the one who chooses instead to invest in building a business, which would probably go burst before he even makes a penny, is not?
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by CrudeOil2(m): 6:55pm On Dec 15, 2009
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU MINE BY DEVELOPMENT BEING EASY OR DIFFICULT BUT WHAT I KNOW AND HAVE COME TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT NIGERIA AND NIGERIANS :-XARE NOT YET READY FOR DEVELOPMENT. A NATION CAN NOT BE DEVELOP IF IT PEOPLE ARE NOT READY TO FOR DEVELOPMENT, WE ARE SO SELFISH THAT WE THINK LETTLE OF THE UNBORN GENERATION. NIGERIA IT IS EVERY ONE FOR HIMSELF SO HOW CAN WE DEVELOP embarassedAS A NATION
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 7:02pm On Dec 15, 2009
We need to develop ourselves mentally first before attempting to the develop Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 7:03pm On Dec 15, 2009
It's very challenging to develop Nigeria because people like yourself and myself are not doing anything, but complain and use corrupt leaders as an excuse.

It takes the entire village to raise a bright kid; I think it also takes everyone of us to see a well developed Nigeria.

Many of us are too busy and too focus on only making money in Nigeria; none of us is willing to volunteer to contribute anything toward developing this country.

May be this is the right moment for each and everyone of us to pause and ask ourselves this question:
I'm now 25 yrs old or 30 yrs old or 40 yrs old or 50 yrs old, through out my life as a Nigerian, what have I ever done for this country?
If you can not come up with at least 2 things, you're part of the problem.

You need not to steal money from Nigeria to be corrupt.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Depilot(m): 7:06pm On Dec 15, 2009
We must deal with the intangibles before dealing with the tangibles. Development starts with you and I
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by oderemo(m): 7:15pm On Dec 15, 2009
We need to develop ourselves mentally first before attempting to the develop Nigeria.

GBAM. GBAM.
You are dead right here. while i was in Nigeria , in Abuja by gwarinpa road , mostly in the evening rush hour, cars will leave their  lane and face you in the wrong direction, i refused to give way , come and see what hell i got on  this day. other motorist with the wrong mindset were hailing insult at me. how can we move on, develop, when small issue of maintaining traffic regulation is a problem.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by illusion2: 7:20pm On Dec 15, 2009
Nigeria's difficult to develop because its a very complex place (& we have a systemic problem). .  .what you regard as 'development' may actually be 'detrimental' to some people  e.g uninterrupted power supply,may not be so helpful to some special interests. . .ditto fuel refining etc. . .  

A classic example is the performing gov of Lagos being linked with impeachment. . . shocked shocked shocked

It ultimately boils down to electoral,constitutional reform,because right now the folks saddled with the legal authority to change things don't really owe their ascension  to power to  people they govern .

Once this is achieved (through the strengthening of security,electoral,legal institutions etc) . . .then we will progress towards development.

Everyone needs to play a own part. I disagree with peeps like Kobojunkie,who seem to have so many ideas but can never really seem to make any logical sense.

The example of ribadu,El-Rufai,Okonjo-Ewealla,& madam due process has shown that its not only about getting 'good people ' but a complete change of the system. All of us have a part to play. .  .mine may be restricted to the cyberspace but its still a part.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by CarlosVent(m): 7:27pm On Dec 15, 2009
cos dey r mindful of money and have old men piloting d affairs of dis country
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Ty207: 7:39pm On Dec 15, 2009
To me development is all about More business, more money, more employment, more opportunity etc. @justcash u are absolutely right. Government are d cause of our problem. They want everytin 4 there self only."greedy leader"
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by Ty207: 7:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
To me development is all about More business, more money, more employment, more opportunity etc. @justcash u are absolutely right. Government are d cause of our problem. They want everytin 4 there self only."greedy leader"
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by slimes(m): 10:07pm On Dec 15, 2009
Be realistic, development does not come on the wrong basis. Even this corruption guys are shouting is present in the might USA but a system was created by the early Presidents of USA so that the citizens of liberty must at all times be restrained by the hand of the law. This is the only area Nigeria got it all wrong.
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by ladej(m): 10:40pm On Dec 15, 2009
Just to add to this. development is certainly different from growth

To grow is to increase in size or number. To develop is to increase one’s ability and desire to satisfy one’s own needs and legitimate desires and those of others. A legitimate desire is one that, when satisfied, does not impede the development of anyone else.

Development of individuals and corporations is more a matter of learning than earning. It has less to do with how much one has than how much one can do with whatever one has.

Development is better reflected in quality of life than in standard of living. Therefore, the level of development of a corporation is better reflected in the quality of work life it provides its employees than in its profit-and-loss statement.

If an undeveloped country or corporation was flooded with money it would be richer but no more developed[naija]. On the other hand, if a well developed country or corporation was suddenly deprived of wealth, it would not be less developed[the UK].

A well-developed country or corporation can do more with its resources than one that is less developed. This is not to say that the amount of resources available is irrelevant. Resources can be used to accelerate development and improve quality of life, but they can best be used for these purposes by those who are developed.

Growth and development do not have to conflict; they can reinforce each other. The best evidence that this is happening is a simultaneous increase in standard of living and quality of life. However, there is currently a widespread belief that quality of life is being sacrificed to increase standard of living. This belief is accompanied by a willingness to sacrifice standard of living to improve quality of life, a willingness that is reflected in the environmentalist movement.

A lack of resources can limit growth but not development. The more developed individuals, organisations, or societies become the less they depend on resources and the more they can do with whatever resources they have. They also have the ability and the desire to create or acquire the resources they need.

An individual can grow too much. Some people and many societies believe that a corporation can too. But would anyone argue that individuals, corporations, or countries can develop too much?

Source:

ACKOFF, R. L. (1986). Management in Small Doses, Wiley, NY
Re: Why Is Nigeria So Difficult To Develop? by arogbowei: 11:30pm On Dec 15, 2009
JustCash, thanx for being tenacious and constant in pointing out where the fault lies. As for our friends, i won't mention their names, but they know who they are and the interests they represent on Nairaland. It is their type that collude with the corrupt rulers to keep us down, with them, a handfull of porridge is enough for to sell their birth right. We are not perturbed by their presence, they are not the first. We know who they resemble in the governemnts of yesteryears in Nigeria, they will suffer the same shame that those ones are living with.

For sure it is a known fact that in every land/clime, the government must provide a condusive environment for growth and development. Where such is missing, the government has failed and have no business being in power.

Of course, the citizens too must be law abiding, but what law do the citizens obey, when their rulers are above the law? When the rulers rule by example, then the citizens will follow suit.

Welldone JustCash. keep it up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Divisional Police Officer Killed In Kano / Osinbajo Condoles With Reverend Wilson Badejo, Fawehinmi's Families / Adedayo Benjamins-Laniyi Picks APC Nomination For Abuja Senate Seat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.