Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? (48557 Views)

I Just Confirm Polygamy Is Reasonable. / How Do You Cope With Pressure To Cheat On Your Spouse? / If You Knew What You Know Now, Would You Marry Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by phr33man(m): 12:27am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:
In every reasonable way it is very necessary that a man gives his spouse a certain amount oy f money every month for the upkeep of the home whether she is working, doing business or not.

In your opinion, how much do you think is very reasonable for a man to give his spouse every month that will definitely be okay to maintain a comfortable home?

40% Of monthly income

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Matinho: 12:27am On Aug 24, 2018
20 Nera
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by milemimi93(m): 12:27am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:
In every reasonable way it is very necessary that a man gives his spouse a certain amount of money every month for the upkeep of the home whether she is working, doing business or not.

In your opinion, how much do you think is very reasonable for a man to give his spouse every month that will definitely be okay to maintain a comfortable home?

Give her more than she can spend.

Money was made to be spent.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 24, 2018
Matinho:
20 Nera
oh boy be like sey na leaf you go chop
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by kokomilala(m): 12:29am On Aug 24, 2018
@NwaiyiAkaetiti, the untruth you just flipped should be flipped back. It's the Word of God. It said ANYONE , not ANY man. Why did you contort the Word of God to fit your self-willed life? You're one of the unconscionably-driven, women of this indomic generation. A very selfish, self-serving and self-excusing age.
One can give anyone money. I have no problems with that. But paying a girlfriend salary raises my hackles.
This girl would dump this guy like a worn out jacket in a heartbeat if he inherits the misfortune of losing his job or income.
I've searched throughout history and I've never seen a generation as selfish,greedy, self-centered as this passing generation of Nigerian women.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Classictee89(m): 12:29am On Aug 24, 2018
tee59:
Your whole salary now and you be suffering till another month ending .Since ,she is disabled and liability that can't work to make her own money. Be wise in spending.

God bless ur thinkin.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by spiritedtete: 12:29am On Aug 24, 2018
Magnifik18:

It all depends on the size of your household.

I'll give you an instance of my parents.

Since time immemorial, my parents would draw a comprehensive list of all that's needed in the house- strictly provisions- from cooking oil to bath soap, washing detergents, bag of rice, beans, yam, garri, milk, cereals, you name it.

My dad would give my mom cash based on estimate to go get all these things - wholesale -These will be kept in storage.

The above is done some times once in 3 months. It really depends on the consumption rate.

Then, every month, he would give 50k (back then)for meat, fish bread and basics. It covers the month's feeding.

As naira began to loose value, the monthly increased.

This method is being practiced by all my siblings that are married : Guys and ladies.

So, it all depends on the agreement btwn your wife and you.

I hope this helps.

Bros... This doesn't apply anymore forget that thing... All this ladies claiming right with each passing day....

It's good when you to spend on your home and be the Head... However give a woman some little sense of entitlement... To spend sometimes.

If your dad had gone broke.. I am sure your mum would have still stayed.... Try going broke now and see you yeye on social media.

For me the way I run my home. We have our utility account which we make sure has enough every month. Irrespective of whoever put money there. I don't even know how much is in the account. I am sure she doesn't too... We just made it like some kind of piggy accounts but for bills.

This doesn't stop me or her from buying things we need in the house... With our individual money.... Morealso we have access to each others accounts. Not to go in and take without permission oo... But just a sense of being free with one another.

On the flip side... Things like school fees... House rent... Should not elude you.. You as man should make it your responsibility. Even if your wife is capable too.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by generationz(f): 12:32am On Aug 24, 2018
cruchenutii:

Okay sha, 60k a month is pretty much. Also we need to consider if the money for her alone OR for the home in general, food stuffs, children snacks etc.
Her husband has to be earning close to a Million, else that Family will go poor by excessive spending.
I know some graduates that earn less than 50k a month.

On a serious note sha, you need to connect with your friends Husband to link you up with his friends, 60k a month is like a full time Salary oh cheesy cheesy cheesy

60k too much ?

it depends on where the lady shops.

for some a single human hair wig costs between 15k - 150k , depending on your class and a woman can't have only one weave she will be fixing continuously. she may have like 5 to ten different styles and would change them every six months depending on the price types she buys.
A single designer bag is between 45k - 120k .I'm talking of Chinese ( fake) designer o lol not the real deal. she can't have less than two of that.
clothes is another list of expenses, shoes , makeup ,treats etc

so all these depends on her class. for a simple lady 60k is a million bucks but for some 60k is just a night at a three star hotel.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by generationz(f): 12:34am On Aug 24, 2018
victorian:

He has already settled food and drinks at home.. Their store room is filled with yams, bag of rice, garri and the rest. It's not for food at all. Fridge is filled with all kinds of drinks. This Sallah was eat and drink til u can eat no more cheesy
It was great fun.

He Should be earning much and he's a top official in a federal government office .

My dear, I have a big link am working on with my lawyer which is 100percent concrete and legit . Also with my kind of biz and the kind of links I want is different from what the husband can link me to.
But my lawyer? That man knows people and has worked for a lot of top shots.. So am better off with him, than with my friend husband.

Anyone earning 60k as salary, should please look for other source of income.
Cause for me, am looking at other source of income o

Am not focused on just my company alone.

this your friends husband is an IBO or middle belt man abi
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 24, 2018
nextstep:
Do this, no matter the amount:

Save 20% of your income for a rainy day and future projects like a house, your retirement.
Use 10% for yourself, or for helping out your siblings/parents, guilt free.
Use 10% for risky investments or some business venture. Not necessary, but if you have an idea, limit your potential loss to this and don't use rent money or school fees.
Use the remaining 60% for house upkeep. Whether you give it all to your wife so she can manage the affairs of the house - rent/transport/school fees/clothes, or both of you split the management of it is up to you.

I found this works very well for me, and I don't have to worry about how she spends the money because she will likely spend it wisely.
It's not me "giving my wife an allowance", it's putting our family money in one place and we use it for certain purposes. But by removing some money for certain purposes, I can reduce my stress.

I think you misread the OP... every house needs a budget, not that she's getting an allowance. I think my system works too if the wife is also working, so I would suggest the same formula. Both save their 20% for future (since I also believe a woman should have her own savings for a rainy day), 10% for their siblings/parents, 10% for self or risk taking, and both contribute 60% to the upkeep of the house. If wife is not working, no shaking, her contribution is still 60% of 0.

Let's also all remember to value a woman's time even if she is not going out and "earning money". Afterall raising children, being the resident cook, and housekeeper is a full time job even if it's not a paid job. It's all in support of raising a family and taking care of the home.

You're right on this man.

May you continue to grow in wisdom and intelligence.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by generationz(f): 12:37am On Aug 24, 2018
Jiang:

All things being equal 5k should be enough, this is for her to buy personal women things & if she is not working. But if she works just surprise her with gifts from time but no monthly allowance

But if you intend to travel alot, atleast 50k should be enough especially if you got atleast 4 kids, that's excluding school fees but includes all monthly house hold spendings. This applies wether she works or not as long as you are absent

shuo 5k for a woman that isn't working per month?

even as a struggling student I wasn't get that as allowance . na die be DAT hehehe

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Oluwolex2000(m): 12:50am On Aug 24, 2018
Okay

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Unlimited22: 12:54am On Aug 24, 2018
tee59:
Your whole salary now and you be suffering till another month ending .Since ,she is disabled and liability that can't work to make her own money. Be wise in spending.
Babe, God will bless you.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Bigdeeee: 1:02am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:
In every reasonable way it is very necessary that a man gives his spouse a certain amount of money every month for the upkeep of the home whether she is working, doing business or not.

It depends on your type of person and your reward system for people’s value. My type of person, hmm, used to run a joint account with my [ex]wife, so she had full access because of what she meant to me back then. Now, with my current girlfriend, like between $6 - $15k each month, depending! And it’s just because she’s the LOML, and I value her so much,
even though she’s gainfully employed (respiratory nurse) in the US, (not on welfare or anything of such). So reward her according to the value you place on her, y’all be fine wink

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by bameyi(m): 1:03am On Aug 24, 2018
Who ask this question our income level differs so is our domestic need as per house upkeep.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Buffalowings3(m): 1:08am On Aug 24, 2018
victorian:

No, at all! Am not like that.
Am a free minded and positive minded person. I feel we all have our own destinies and life on earth to pass through and fulfil. Have accepted my destiny, it wasn't pleasant inbetween and I can't change it. That's how God want our different lives to be.

We are simply pencils in the hand of God, no matter how hard we try to have what we want or desire at certain times in our lives.

I understand.
So you've a different arrangement in your household that works and thank God, you've got no problems.

Instead of using your own experience as an example, you chose that of your friend.

Madam, be careful.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Buffalowings3(m): 1:08am On Aug 24, 2018
tee59:
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nademdeyrushusk: 1:09am On Aug 24, 2018
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Buffalowings3(m): 1:15am On Aug 24, 2018
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by OyinO: 1:16am On Aug 24, 2018
Marital chaos, woes, problems and dissolutions will never end but will keep rising in this age of fake-life because we have imbibed Oyibo people strange, unnatural, divorce-bound and counterproductive cultures into Africa. Back in the good old days of the ancestors, both man and woman worked and provided for the family. NO MONTHLY SALARIES! Basic Needs are met on demand. And they lived together in peace, love and understanding till old age when one person died. No rampant divorce! What is monthly salary or pay when you are already stuffing the kitchen, paying school fees, paying electricity bills, medical expenses, house rent, etc.? Is there anything outside these?
Oh i forgot, there are lots of things in our days. Senseless and wasteful make up cosmetics for make up vain beauty, hairdo and all manner of fancy jewels and clothings which are not necessary except for show-off at church and social gatherings. Then, one day, when things go wrong and home monthly wife salary is suspended, your wife uses her beauty and kpekus to seek another paymaster or give you endless woes. Give your wife money to buy food stuffs for the kitchen and money for her basic needs. Do shopping for her and the kids from time to time. Leave salary out of it because when your source of salary ends, you will harvest eternal misery in your marriage. Such monies are only given when husband is travelling out of town, and the amount depends on how long he will stay away from home or the expenses speculated.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by islandmoon: 1:21am On Aug 24, 2018
this question doesn't make any sense, we are not earning the same thing and our taste differ, seun need to engage moderators that have more sense to do critical thinking, how do you even determine posts that should be move to the front page?

we can not even say percentage of our earning, what if I earn over 200 million weekly?

op, can you afford it, give your wife 200k monthly, oh! we don't even know of you don't have a child, or may be the whole family is staying with you, well, I suggest we ask the Oracle for you, but for those who doesn't have job or broke, they should go andd rob to give their wife 50k per month? and what about those earning the minimum wages?

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 24, 2018
OyinO:
Marital chaos, woes, problems and dissolutions will never end but will keep rising in this age of fake-life because we have imbibed Oyibo people strange, unnatural, divorce-bound and counterproductive cultures into Africa. Back in the good old days of the ancestors, both man and woman worked and provided for the family. NO MONTHLY SALARIES! Basic Needs are met on demand. And they lived together in peace, love and understanding till old age when one person died. No rampant divorce. What is monthly salary or pay when you are already stuffing the kitchen, paying school fees, paying electricity bills, medical expenses, house rent, etc.? Is there anything outside these?
Oh i forgot, there are lots of things in our days. Senseless and wasteful make up cosmetics, hairdo and all manner of fancy jewels and clothings which are not necessary except for show-off at church and social gatherings. Then, one day, when things go wrong and home monthly wife salary is suspended, your wife uses her beauty and kpekus to seek another paymaster or give you endless woes. Give your wife money to buy food stuffs for the kitchen and money for her basic needs. Do shopping for her and the kids from time to time. Leave salary out of it because when your source of salary ends, you will harvest eternal misery in your marriage. Such monies are only given when husband is travelling out of town, and the amount depends on how long he will stay away from home or the expenses speculated.
Bro u just said it all
I have a friend who is wallowing in his marriage becus of this same issue... Wife is a professional federal worker same with husband both earning nothing less than 210k infact wife earns more becus of her rank but the man burst to tears one day.... Watin e wife day use money do becus she doesn't contribute to any of d warefar of d house...... And still some person are still asking how much should u pay ur wife every month..... It is like some people want to pack to d village after 10months of marriage o

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Buffalowings3(m): 1:26am On Aug 24, 2018
Bluezy13:

I like you.
I would have fallen for you if you were single.

You successfully and effortlessly disclosed your friend's own, but you didn't disclose yours.
And that's unjust.

So, tell me; how much do you get monthly from your husband??

Bros, think now.
Rather than give you a personal experience example which is different,
She would rather you follow her friends example.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Mikeparlo12(m): 1:32am On Aug 24, 2018
As God blesses you. The more you give her the more you get blessed

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by babeosisi: 1:38am On Aug 24, 2018
The whole salary
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 1:48am On Aug 24, 2018
If she is unemployed, give half what u earn. If she is earning, give 1/3.

1 Like

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Paschal2legacy: 1:50am On Aug 24, 2018
lolz. That's woman for you bro. The stuff tire me oo

I like you.
I would have fallen for you if you were single.

You successfully and effortlessly disclosed your friend's own, but you didn't disclose yours.
And that's unjust.

So, tell me; how much do you get monthly from your husband??[/quote]
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by overseasnbeyond: 1:50am On Aug 24, 2018
MiztaFabulous:

What is upkeep? Come to america to give upkeep by the time you turn homeless, your sense will reset. Its simply because you dont pay bills and have excess to waste

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by hopexter(m): 1:51am On Aug 24, 2018
15% of your salary if she's a jobless house wife. 4% if she's an illiterate house wife. Money for food stuff not included.
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Grupo(m): 1:53am On Aug 24, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Hanseen does your dad give your mom for runnings of the home? Yes or No? All these chewing gum boys we have today, seems fathers didn't do their jobs well in imbibing societal values in you all. Could it be the menace of social media

Growing up, my both parents were working class. My dad is retired now while mom is still in active service.

My dad wasn't giving money to my mom for up keep per se. Why would he do that? He was already paying the school fees of 6 children who he single handedly trained to university level.

He built a house that everyone was living in. He would buy foodstuff in bulk and keep at home - bag of rice, yam, garri, and Co.

With the above all ready, my mom needed not any money. Which money does she need again when she earns salary?

5 Likes

Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Mcglisten(m): 1:54am On Aug 24, 2018
00000000000000000000 cry00000000000000000000
Re: How Much Is Reasonable Enough To Give Your Spouse Monthly? by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 24, 2018
generationz:

60k too much ?

it depends on where the lady shops.

for some a single human hair wig costs between 15k - 150k , depending on your class and a woman can't have only one weave she will be fixing continuously. she may have like 5 to ten different styles and would change them every six months depending on the price types she buys.
A single designer bag is between 45k - 120k .I'm talking of Chinese ( fake) designer o lol not the real deal. she can't have less than two of that.
clothes is another list of expenses, shoes , makeup ,treats etc

so all these depends on her class. for a simple lady 60k is a million bucks but for some 60k is just a night at a three star hotel.

Ha! 150k wig is on the high side & 60k is too much If a man earns less than 500k to be honest.
Let's note that 60k is not the whole money for the home in a month, It's just the stipend for the Wife alone so It's a lot.

Also the issue is, women can assume a particular class even when they are not. I always ask to know a lady's background before I judge.
You can't be earning 150k Net income as a lady & be using 150k Wig, it doesn't work that way.

So anyways, which one are you? - A simple lady or the flamboyant type?
Lemme know now before I propose to you oh, because I'm ready; so no medicine after death cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Bayelsa Girl Forced To Marry Hausa Muslim Lover / Nine Nurses In The Same Labour Unit All Pregnant At Same Time In Maine Hospital / Six Habits That Prove A Person Was Born In A Poor Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.