Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,448 members, 7,812,375 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! (35658 Views)

See What Wole Soyinka Wrote About Fashola(pic) / The Truth About Fashola's Success / What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! Pt 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by DaDoctor: 9:52am On May 26, 2011
FASHOLA IS DOING WELLL,

BUT HE COULD DO BETTER,

AMECHI TOO IS GOOD,
HE COULD DO BETTER TOO,

ALL OF THESE GOVERNORS HAVE HUGE ALLOCATIONS AND REVENUES, SO THEY ARE ONLY WORKING WITH IT AND MAKING IT OPEN FOR NON-PERFORMERS LIKE OHAKIM AND ORJI TO SEE,

BUT TRULY WHO WOULD HAVE THESE RESOURCES AND NOT DO WELL WITH THEM? A DAFT PERSON
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by gidson12(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2011
^^ Amaechi is doing great, not just well
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by wendieposh: 11:10am On May 26, 2011
How many governors can account for the money spent,
the problems in each local govt. areas and how its been
solved, the export zones that can generate money for the
state and country? How many governors are humble and
honest? my final question is,how many governors in Nigeria
think about the people of the state first?

If we sing Fashola's praises from now till whenever,its because
we appreciate him. So abeg,drop the beef and lets say it
together "Eko o ni baje o"
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by DAY12(m): 11:32am On May 26, 2011
[size=20pt]"Eko o ni baje o"[/size]

brf is just the best role model you can have. His caring heart, he's a hard worker.

He inspires others govs to work hard for what they want, Some govs adore his sharp wit and confidence, while others detest.

Say after me "Eko o ni baje o", O ya, good boy !!!
grin
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by member479760: 12:01pm On May 26, 2011
wey those yeye Igbos wey wan govern lagos?
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by babytoun: 12:14pm On May 26, 2011
Funny how the pro-fashola gang state the population of lagos as between 18-20 million. i wonder where they got their figures from.

Fashola is trying but definitely over-hyped. QED
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 12:21pm On May 26, 2011
@Eko Ile:

i agree with you, governors perfomance should be assesed vis-avis the amount of resources at their disposal because to whom much is given much is expected. However i still dont beleive that posting pictures and development projects can be an accurate  assesment of  governance because any governor who so desires can wrack that up and use it to hoodwink the public. If you are patient enough to wait as the different pictures flick through, you would notice that Imo state website:http://www.imostate.gov.ng/    has   more than 20 pictures and some very beautiful development projects yet the same governor was booted out by his people in the last elections. So we must be careful in using pictures to make assesments.

Furthermore contrary to your claim that most governors will jump at publishing their  projects on their websites, their are quite many of them who have never bothered to post any of such projects on their websites. For example i have watched television documentaries on projects executed by Akwa Ibom governor and the Anambra state governor which highlighted some executed projects but none of the projects i saw in the documentaries is in the website of any of these governors.

So the point is not all governors bother to post their projects online and pictures or development projects are not accurate means of judging good governance as any governor can easily arrange that:

In Fashola's case he has been proven by people on the ground in lagos  which i consider the real assesment. He is the clear hero of the moment and an Iroko tree in terms of perfomance. More grease to his elbows:

One guy i miss so much is Proffessor Chukwuma Soludo whom i very much beleive would have done very well as a governor. Unfortunately he lost the elections. I hope he contests again and i hope he wins this time. Thanks Eko Ile. I really like your style, keep it up!

@Katsumoto: I dont like engaging in frivolous argurments: please note that cocoa has never funded anywhere outside the western region or western states. What has funded the rest of nigeria since the creation of states and introduction of a full fledged unitary system has been crude oil resources.

As for Lagos, why should i even continue to argue this with you? for the last time let me make it clear that the mere pronouncement of a city as a federal capital has a lot of multiplier effects. Apart from a significant concentration of federal investments in infrastructure and construction of national institutions by the federal government, the private sector and the general citizenry tend to be pulled to such locations. A combination of these factors has built up lagos:  
Abuja is good case study: In just a few years Abuja  has become the most modern city in nigeria through massive federal investments in infrastructure and the construction of national institutions. The private sector is naturally following suit with so many businesses and the best hotels springing up in abuja. The citizenry is also gradually moving there with the population of Abuja on a steady rise. Abuja was a forest just a few years ago, today its the most modern city in nigeria because it is now a federal capital.

For the same reason and factors London, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam etc are the dominant cities in their countries. In a nutshell, the whole of Lagos benefitted from the multiplier effects of its former status as a federal capital which led to a large concentration of investments from both the public and private sectors. Thanks
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ektbear: 12:26pm On May 26, 2011
babytoun:

Funny how the pro-fashola  gang state the population of lagos as between 18-20 million. i wonder where they got their figures from.

Fashola is trying but definitely over-hyped. QED

Well, here is just once source:

The luncheon event was attended by 50 key civil society, academic and private sector representatives interested in hearing the Governor's vision for one of Nigeria's most important states -- Lagos -- where the capital city of the same name (Lagos) heralds a population of 18 million.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amb-robin-renee-sanders/nigerias-lagos-governor-f_1_b_864550.html

The good US ambassador to Nigeria, Robin Renee Sanders.

The official # listed in the 2006 census is fiction
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 12:30pm On May 26, 2011
@bb.babe97y:

Pull out of your miserable stupor of sadism and try to get a life beyond the ignorance and primitive  behaviour you and some primitive apes display on the internet with fake handles. Next time try to engage in meaningful civilised and objective debates rather than always demonstrating how badly brought-up you are.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by babytoun: 12:39pm On May 26, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well, here is just once source:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/amb-robin-renee-sanders/nigerias-lagos-governor-f_1_b_864550.html

The good US ambassador to Nigeria, Robin Renee Sanders.

The official # listed in the 2006 census is fiction

grin grin grin grin grin source?

I hope you have other "sources", as this is looking more like a joke.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ektbear: 12:42pm On May 26, 2011
Heh. You can believe what you like, doesn't really matter to me
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by babytoun: 12:45pm On May 26, 2011
^^^^^^^^^

Ok sir.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Nobody: 12:52pm On May 26, 2011
Fashola is certainly worthy of praise, so are the other performing Governors.

It is backwards and small-minded to always analyze everything in terms of tribe.

People of other tribes are not your enemies, corruption, poverty and bad governence are and bad governnance does not discriminate along tribal lines.

Your real enemies are the corrupt ruling government and not other tribes.

Please use your sense, and stop this non-sense: " ibo this, yoruba that, hausa whatever" angry
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by jmaine: 1:00pm On May 26, 2011
Kanto is indeed speaking grin
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Nobody: 1:08pm On May 26, 2011
Is Kanto from the north? The name sounds funny grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 1:14pm On May 26, 2011
Anyone responding to bk.babe97y is just wasting their time; to be honest the dude is just a transgendered homo who really has nothing better to say. I say ditch it and leave him alone; he will continue to lead you on without any useful exchange.

As much I have said this before and I told Eko-Ile same thing; I'm happy that you're happy about your governor. I too is proud of his achievement so are other; local and foreign but I still think that his over hyped to a certain degree.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by olyivy(f): 1:19pm On May 26, 2011
GenBuhari:

Fashola is certainly worthy of praise, so are the other performing Governors.

It is backwards and small-minded to always analyze everything in terms of tribe.

People of other tribes are not your enemies, corruption, poverty and bad governence are and bad governnance does not discriminate along tribal lines.

Your real enemies are the corrupt ruling government and not other tribes.

Please use your sense, and stop this non-sense: " ibo this, yoruba that, hausa whatever" angry

Hey Mujahid;

You can start by correcting the way you write igbo (not like I care though) before trying to act like a good person here.

And by the way, whats that in your signature, I pity you because even Buhari himself has moved on. grin
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 1:33pm On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

@Katsumoto: I dont like engaging in frivolous argurments: please note that cocoa has never funded anywhere outside the western region or western states. What has funded the rest of nigeria since the creation of states and introduction of a full fledged unitary system has been crude oil resources.

As for Lagos, why should i even continue to argue this with you? for the last time let me make it clear that the mere pronouncement of a city as a federal capital has a lot of multiplier effects. Apart from a significant concentration of federal investments in infrastructure and construction of national institutions by the federal government, the private sector and the general citizenry tend to be pulled to such locations. A combination of these factors has built up lagos:  
Abuja is good case study: In just a few years Abuja  has become the most modern city in nigeria through massive federal investments in infrastructure and the construction of national institutions. The private sector is naturally following suit with so many businesses and the best hotels springing up in abuja. The citizenry is also gradually moving there with the population of Abuja on a steady rise. Abuja was a forest just a few years ago, today its the most modern city in nigeria because it is now a federal capital.

For the same reason and factors London, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam etc are the dominant cities in their countries. In a nutshell, the whole of Lagos benefitted from the multiplier effects of its former status as a federal capital which led to a large concentration of investments from both the public and private sectors. Thanks

Before states were created in 1967, where did the FG receive the revenue it used for capital projects and recurrent expenditure (Salaries, ministeries, etc)? The Western Region, like other regions contributed to the centre with revenue from Cocoa.

What do you mean by multiplier effect? You mean for instance, when the FG was developing Ikorodu road, the Western Govt diverted the contractors to  Bank-Anthony way to develop that as well? I get what you are trying to say but you are equally ignoring the multiplied problems associated with the movement towards Lagos.

Your argument about capitals being the most developed cities is actually ignorant.
Is Cranberra more developed than Sydney? Is Ottawa more developed than Toronto and Montreal? Is Washington DC more developed than NY, LA? Is Berlin more developed than Munich? Is Brasilia more developed than Sao Paolo and Rio?

[size=14pt]I am still waiting for the list of developments and projects outside Lagos Island - Ikeja, Ilupeju, Ikorodu, Epe, Ibeju-Lekki, etc Stop dancing around this issue; It is pertinent to the debate.[/size] You are the one arguing frivolously if you are unable to back your pronouncements. You can not compare Abuja with Lagos because all of Abuja was developed by the FG while the FG developed less than 10% of Lagos. Add to the fact that Lagos State is the smallest state in Nigeria and then one can begin to understand the scale of FG developments in Lagos.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by manny4life(m): 1:45pm On May 26, 2011
^^^

Please you cannot compare DC and NY together now; DC is way TOO SMALL for a mega state like NY where you have to travel up to 3/4hrs just within cities in NY. However though, for its size it's well developed if not more than but I don't know about more than NY though.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 1:49pm On May 26, 2011
manny4life:

^^^

Please you cannot compare DC and NY together now; DC is way TOO SMALL for a mega state like NY where you have to travel up to 3/4hrs just within cities in NY. However though, for its size it's well developed if not more than but I don't know about more than NY though.

That argument is flawed in the sense that most cities in most countries are not of the same size. The argument I was defeating is the argument that capital cities are the most developed cities in a country.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Kanto: 2:16pm On May 26, 2011
@katsumoto:

so what is there in ikorodu road? you make me laugh. Who built all the network of superhighways and flyovers in lagos? who built the international airport in lagos? who built the national arts theatre and countless other federal government projects? Who built the skyscrapers like the independence building and many others?
What attractred the private sector to cluster heavily in lagos if not its status as a federal capital?

Last time i checked Ibadan was the capital of the western region, so if your logic is correct why is Ibadan not developed like lagos?

My brother just leave this story. The nations you mentioned where some cities are more developed than  the federal capitals are few exceptions and it is because  those are countries with true federalism where the centre is weak and much development is concentrated in the regions each developing at their own pace.

America, Canada, Germany etc are countries with very strong federal systems where the centre is very weak and development is concentrated in the regions. These are few exceptions, as  80% of nations around the world have their capital cities as the most populated and developed. In Europe for example Germany and Switzerland to some extent are the only exceptions and these are nations with strong federal systems. All the rest from Lisbon, to madrid, to stockholm, copenhagen, bruxelles, warsaw, Rome London, Dublin, amsterdam, helsinki etc have their capitals as the most developed and populated centres and it is the same trend for most of the world especially in countries with unitary systems of government.

In nigeria's case she became a unitary state from the gowon era with the creation of states and the establishment of  a very strong centre that concentrated most development at the centre at the expense of other areas. If the autonomous regions had not been dismantled, it is possible that a city like Port-harcourt which was then in the former Eastern region and which was being developed by Dr MI Okpara the then premier of the East as a counter-point to Lagos could possibly have become at par with places like lagos through a concentration of regional investments and presence in that city much

Unfortunately the regions were dismantled and nigeria became a unitary state with an overbearing centre that tends to concentrate development and federal presence in specific locations while ignoring the other weakened states. The unitary system offcourse also made it possible and easier to pursue policies of marginalization by the federal governments against some areas by deliberately denying them critical infrastructure that can enhance development.

This is the peculiar situation in countries like nigeria.Thanks
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by Katsumoto: 2:37pm On May 26, 2011
Kanto:

@katsumoto:

so what is there in ikorodu road? you make me laugh. Who built all the network of superhighways and flyovers in lagos? who built the international airport in lagos? who built the national arts theatre and countless other federal government projects? Who built the skyscrapers like the independence building and many others?
What attractred the private sector to cluster heavily in lagos if not its status as a federal capital?

Last time i checked Ibadan was the capital of the western region, so if your logic is correct why is Ibadan not developed like lagos?

My brother just leave this story. The nations you mentioned where some cities are more developed than  the federal capitals are few exceptions and it is because  those are countries with true federalism where the centre is weak and much development is concentrated in the regions each developing at their own pace.

America, Canada, Germany etc are countries with very strong federal systems where the centre is very weak and development is concentrated in the regions. These are few exceptions, as  80% of nations around the world have their capital cities as the most populated and developed. In Europe for example Germany and Switzerland to some extent are the only exceptions and these are nations with strong federal systems. All the rest from Lisbon, to madrid, to stockholm, copenhagen, bruxelles, warsaw, Rome London, Dublin, amsterdam, helsinki etc have their capitals as the most developed and populated centres and it is the same trend for most of the world especially in countries with unitary systems of government.

In nigeria's case she became a unitary state from the gowon era with the creation of states and the establishment of  a very strong centre that concentrated most development at the centre at the expense of other areas. If the autonomous regions had not been dismantled, it is possible that a city like Port-harcourt which was then in the former Eastern region and which was being developed by Dr MI Okpara the then premier of the East as a counter-point to Lagos could possibly have become at par with places like lagos through a concentration of regional investments and presence in that city much

Unfortunately the regions were dismantled and nigeria became a unitary state with an overbearing centre that tends to concentrate development and federal presence in specific locations while ignoring the other weakened states. The unitary system offcourse also made it possible and easier to pursue policies of marginalization by the federal governments against some areas by deliberately denying them critical infrastructure that can enhance development.

This is the peculiar situation in countries like nigeria.Thanks

The FG built the Airport, National Theatre, Stadium, and roads in Lagos. That is agreed. Are you stating that the FG did not build any structures in other parts of the country? The FG did not build any roads in the North, East? The FG did not build refineries, schools, hospitals in other parts? For your argument to be solid, you have to argue that Lagos was the only beneficiary of projects in Nigeria. We know that not to be true.

A couple of questions for you - Was Calabar more developed than Lagos before it lost its status as Capital to Lagos Island? (Bear in mind that Lagos had been a trading port for centuries). Why did the British move the capital to Lagos from Calabar? With regards to Ibadan, the argument goes both ways. Why is Ibadan not more developed than other SW cities? It is certainly bigger than most, but not more developed.

With regards to level of development of capital cities compared with other cities, you are so wrong on many counts. Are you stating that Rome is more developed than Milan or Madrid more developed than Barcelona? Development is uniform in most of the Scandinavian countries. Trying to relate development of cities to system of government is an ambigous argument. It is neither here nor there. If we drill down into detail, we will identify capital cities that are less developed than other cities in the same country with unitary, federalism, or confederationism being practised. I am satisfied that I have proved that a city being the capital does not necessarily imply that it is more developed than other cities in the same country.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:23pm On May 26, 2011
manny4life:

Anyone responding to bk.babe97y is just wasting their time; to be honest the dude is just a transgendered homo who really has nothing better to say. I say ditch it and leave him alone; he will continue to lead you on without any useful exchange.

As much I have said this before and I told Eko-Ile same thing; I'm happy that you're happy about your governor. I too is proud of his achievement so are other; local and foreign but I still think that his over hyped to a certain degree.

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat your over hype story, the facts on the ground will always prove you wrong.

You people are not fooling anybody, we all know the deal and you people know the truth, this is it's nothing but bad bele on your part.

It is our job in Lagos and the SW to keep moving ahead into the future with great economic and infrastructural advancement while it is it is ibo people's job to hate, get mad, throw tantrums, cry and yell in pain and sorrow which they'll keep doing till the end of time. All they know and all they'll keep displaying is sadness and bad bele. You do this all the time.

In ibo people's bad bele induced rush to prop up some ibo dude against Fashola, they rummaged through the internet and scrap up any available picture, even pictures of garbage and label them development. You just can't help but feel sorry for them.

look at the ungly bridge bellow ibo people attributed to their hero and best governor in Nigeria against the best and most sophisticated bridge in West Africa.

Ugly Ibo bridge in Rivers state bellow

Suxs to be ibo for real

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:24pm On May 26, 2011
The best and most sophisticated bridge in West Africa.

Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:26pm On May 26, 2011
Now, see the difference? See the mediocrity you people tagged as the best in your mediocre world?

No wonder you people are way way backward, you are too mediocre for your own good.
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ak47mann(m): 3:32pm On May 26, 2011
Eko Ile:

Now, see the difference? See the mediocrity you people tagged as the best in your mediocre world?

No wonder you people are way way backward, you are too mediocre for your own good.
who is you people are so backward Nigeria as a whole is a backward country talk with ur head not ur as-s mumu cool
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:33pm On May 26, 2011
I guess you people don run out of road side and round about pictures to post,

Well , let me continue with Fashola,
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by phantom(m): 3:35pm On May 26, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin, dude is still showing us more pictures of fashola,his aides and tape-cutting than actual projects, okay
 1.BRT 2.itire-okota link bridge,  3.ikoyi-lekki(even though this is far from being complete but no wahala, make i help your arguement)   and a few malls , what else?i am waiting,  face it,the man is seriously overhyped, renovating an already developed lagos and this tadpole no go gree me hear word
Lets face it, LAGOS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A JUNGLE, just because one man wake up begin clean the place, and lagosians for the first time in years are beginning to breathe fresh air does not mean the rest of us shouldnt sleep peacefully again grin
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:36pm On May 26, 2011
ak47mann:

[b]who is you people are so backward [/b]Nigeria as a whole is a backward country talk with your head not your as-s mumu cool

You and your people of course. You are socially, politically and economically backward. Look around you, abi you no sabi current affairs or you think you and your people dey cry and yell marginalization everyday for no reason?

Abeg clear road,
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:37pm On May 26, 2011
phantom:

grin grin grin grin grin grin, dude is still showing us more pictures of fashola,his aides and tape-cutting than actual projects, okay
 1.BRT 2.itire-okota link bridge,  3.ikoyi-lekki(even though this is far from being complete but no wahala, make i help your arguement)   and a few malls , what else?i am waiting,  face it,the man is seriously overhyped, renovating an already developed lagos and this tadpole no go gree me hear word
Lets face it, LAGOS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A JUNGLE, just because one man wake up begin clean the place, and lagosians for the first time in years are beginning to breathe fresh air does not mean the rest of us shouldnt sleep peacefully again grin

Ndo, I feel your pain, ego better better for ibo people on day one day, lmao
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by ak47mann(m): 3:45pm On May 26, 2011
Eko Ile:

You and your people of course. You are socially, politically and economically backward. Look around you, abi you no sabi current affairs or you think you and your people dey cry and yell marginalization everyday for no reason?

Abeg clear road,
you are a monkey with agbada grin grin grin what do you know about current affairs mumu sad abeg forget this your yeye fashola your S/W is still a jungle my friend grin fashola is doing what he suppose to do what the biggie some state is doing the same even better see you pkomo head like we are backward yeye man
Re: What Is The Big Deal About Fashola? Nonsense! by EkoIle1: 3:50pm On May 26, 2011
ak47mann:

Some state is doing the same even better see you pkomo head like we are backward yeye man

Show us the states and what they are doing better.

Till you do that, keep quiet and stick to your destined bad bele mode, that's all you're known for and that's all you good for.

Mind your level.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

DSS To Interrogate Magu, EFCC Boss - Sahara Reporters / Nigerian Air Force Strikes Boko Haram Terrorist’s Vehicle Workshop / David Umahi Welcomes Wife, Rachel, At Enugu Airport After Vacation Abroad

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.