Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 (983538 Views)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 3 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (426) (Go Down)

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 4:10pm On Jul 27, 2012
Oh ok... Thanks..

In any case.. does any one know about the documents I need to submit with my transit Visa application, how long it takes to get processed and any other requirement..

Thanks!
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 4:14pm On Jul 27, 2012
Sir P!:
@vicjustice Are you sure that you can get a transit visa as a nigerian citizen at heathrow? I'm asking because I know a couple who had a Tourist visa to canada, and they were refused check in at lagos airport by British Airways staffs because they had no transit visa, they ended up flying air france.
Please clarify,.
Yes, you can get the transit visa at Heathrow, provided you have an onward ticket to destination country, but your challenge would be getting a boarding-pass from Nigeria. In the case that I referered to, my companion was travelling with an Irish Residence Permit, and Ireland was the destination, so he can't be stopped for reason of the UK transit visa
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by SirP1: 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2012
@vicjustice Thanks.. @prayerful the documents are on UKBA website under "in transit through the uk", but I don't think its worth the stress in my opinion because you'll need almost everything you'll use to apply for a visiting visa , I think the only diff is you don't need Accommodation arrangements
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by philipin7: 4:39pm On Jul 27, 2012
justwise:
General visitor

Do i need to include pictures of me and her, phone records and emails, dont have any of these
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 5:01pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Vicjustice... Thanks.. I'll check with Virgin first..

@ Sir P.. Thanks as well.. I may as well apply for a 6 months visa cos the cost difference isn't that much..
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 5:15pm On Jul 27, 2012
I just called a staff at Virgin Atlantic.. He said that as long as my transit time isn't more than 24 hours, I don't require a transit Visa.. undecided
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by justwise(m): 5:17pm On Jul 27, 2012
philipin7:

Do i need to include pictures of me and her, phone records and emails, dont have any of these

You don't to if you don't have them
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 5:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Sir P.. In that case.. What is the Visa Officer expecting to evaluate from the documents?

If I'm to submit the same docs as with a tourist Visa application, would it matter if in April a lot of funds left my account cos I made a trip to Ny.. (Ticket, maintenance cash)
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by SirP1: 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2012
@prayerful I'm not very familiar with those technicalities, I just know the basic reqs, I believe @justwise or @vicjustice can help you out.

If I may ask is there a particular reason why you wanna transit through heathrow, if there's none why not just save yourself the stress and go with klm, lufthansa e.t.c
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 6:11pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Sir P... Uhm... The ticket fare for Virgin on the day I plan to depart is the cheapest of all the airlines.. Plus the price for extra baggage is the most reasonable cos I'm gonna have to buy an extra bag on the flight back to lagos.. Plus.. I'm tryna build up my travel miles on Virgin Atlantic.. smiley
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by SirP1: 6:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
@prayerful Ok Good Luck.. I'm surprised Virgin could have the cheapest fare tho cos they are usually expensive
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 6:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Sir P.. Thanks

I just asked another friend who is in Maryland, US at the moment... When she had her baby, her husband accompanied by his friend, transited thru London via Virgin last month and the friend didn't have a transit Visa..

Like I said, I'll go to the VAtlantic office myself on Monday... To make the necessary enquiries...

@ Virgin being the cheapest.. I was shocked myself.. The fare is even 3k cheaper if booked on wakanow.com.. grin
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by SirP1: 6:55pm On Jul 27, 2012
@prayerful really? If you end up going through the uk without a transit visa let me know, I'll be glad to transit through heathrow when next I n my folks travel rather than the boring charles de gaulle cheesy
When do you intend travelling?
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 7:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
grin

I'd be sure to hola WHEN I make it through..

My planned date is at the end of august..
smiley

1 Like

Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 7:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
prayerful: I just called a staff at Virgin Atlantic.. He said that as long as my transit time isn't more than 24 hours, I don't require a transit Visa.. undecided
That means, Virgin Atlantic allows Boarding Without Transit Visa, that is a relief; but remember to give yourself enough time (at Heathrow airport) to check-in for your next flight to the US otherwise, you may miss your flight in case the Immigration officer at departure desk required a transit visa of you. I talk from my companion's July 17th encounter.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2012
prayerful: @ Sir P.. In that case.. What is the Visa Officer expecting to evaluate from the documents?

If I'm to submit the same docs as with a tourist Visa application, would it matter if in April a lot of funds left my account cos I made a trip to Ny.. (Ticket, maintenance cash)
To apply for a transit visa, you don't normally need all these documents, all that is required for a non complicated application is:
1)Your passport with a visa to your destination
2)Your onward itinerary
3)The Visa fee.
But if your case is not straight forward, you may be required to provide Police report and evidence of residence abroad
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 7:49pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Vicjustice.. Yes I have enough time between my connecting flight..

I land at Heathrow at 17.15 pm and my flight to Ny is at 9.20 am the next morning.. About 15 hours wait... cheesy

Same thing on my flight back.. I land at Heathrow @ about 10 in the morning and the flight to Lagos is at 10 at night...
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by SirP1: 7:50pm On Jul 27, 2012
@prayerful vicjustice is right, you dont need a lot of docs just what he said, i just confirmed from ukba site. so in that case i think its advisable to apply for the transit visa
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 7:52pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Vicjustice... Thanks for the info on the required docs..

Well appreciated.. Though I pray I wouldn't need a transit Visa..
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 7:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ SirP.. Thanks... I'll also find out at Vfs how long it takes to process it...
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 8:00pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ Vicjustice...

Onward Itinerary refers to my ticket right?

So passport with Visa, ticket and Visa fee..

No passport photograph.. (I don't know what a transit Visa looks like)

@SirP, please could you post the link for the requirements.. I tried to check but couldn't find the info
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 8:13pm On Jul 27, 2012
prayerful: @ Vicjustice...

Onward Itinerary refers to my ticket right?

So passport with Visa, ticket and Visa fee..

No passport photograph.. (I don't know what a transit Visa looks like)

@SirP, please could you post the link for the requirements.. I tried to check but couldn't find the info
Sorry, you need one passport size photo.
And yes, Itinerary means the document of your flight ticket
As for how the visa look like; it could be anything from a Stamp-Form (with hand written information) to a Sticker
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 8:26pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ok... Thanks!!!
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by SirP1: 8:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
@prayerful http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf

Open it, scroll till you see the subheading for visitors in transit
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by prayerful: 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ SirP, thanks!
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by ayobj: 9:41pm On Jul 27, 2012
Vicjustice: Other countries do not require a transit visa of you, but conservative UK demands that you obtain a transit visa. Well, you can get that at the departure desk in London airports: you need to give yourself enough time to get the transit visa otherwise, you might miss your flight.
Two months ago (in May), i was returning from Nigeria with companions and we were on transit in London Heathrow, but one of us didn't know that he is required to obtain a Transit Visa, it took a sluggish process to get him sorted with the (free of charge) visa, and the process almost made him miss his flight. Remember that Ireland and the UK plus the Isle Of Man etc are regarded as Common Travel Area (CTA), so if this could happen to a person holding the Irish Stamp4 Eufam Residence permit how much more would it happen to a person holding a US visa

my personal experience:i was to run into the same problem whilst going to the us in november last yearmy uk visa lapsed on november 11th.mu us visa was issued on 18th november.there was no time for applying for a uk visa as i had to leave nigeria on the 25th of november.i therefor gave up on using BA and Virgin based on that.
whilst going to the uk june last year,there were 2 nuns in the plane from lagos.i noticed one had an issue with immigrations at schipol because she dis not have a british visa but an irish one.she was eventually allowed because she was a nun.in the UK,she barely came down from the plane as she was made to stand in one corner for hours before the connecting flight came.could not lend a helping handunfortunately
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by ayobj: 1:12am On Jul 28, 2012
guys,
i will be in the UK in august and due to the submissions here.i have booked a hotel for 2 days at the cost of 100 pounds.
i renewed my visa with a hotel booking that has since lapsed.
that was in June.
you guys say they ask where you will be staying.that has never happened in all my trips.
what usually happens is that they ask for your trip details and and stamp your passport.
they never ask for my accomodation details even when i went with my family.
the only query in my case is why i was refused in 2008.when i explain,they go in to a superior and then come back and give me my passport.
so you guys owe me 100 pounds............lol
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by sndrmrtns: 8:42am On Jul 28, 2012
ayobj: guys,
i will be in the UK in august and due to the submissions here.i have booked a hotel for 2 days at the cost of 100 pounds.
that was in June.
you guys say they ask where you will be staying.that has never happened in all my trips.
what usually happens is that they ask for your trip details and and stamp your passport.
the only query in my case is why i was refused in 2008.when i explain,they go in to a superior and then come back and give me my passport.

Do not forget favor move along with Visas or you prove it more than 100% to have it.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by Vicjustice: 8:59am On Jul 28, 2012
ayobj: guys,
that was in June.
Immigration officers can ask any question from "how much money you have on you" to "why have you chosen to travel to the UK". They can even ask you why "why have you travelled this day" or whatever. I bear witness that some travellers are detained in the "Holding Room" while the Immigration Officers make numerous phone calls to their contacts or hotels just to verify their accommodation arrangement.
The fact that you were not asked does not mean that there are not more of other people who were asked, You better be prepared for any question next time
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by silversheep: 9:25am On Jul 28, 2012
top of the morning to all naira landers wink,u guys are doing a marvelous job here.i am about re applying for tourist visa,i have all the documents i used last year when i was granted 6 months entry.im planning to apply for 2 years this time around with my husband as my sponsor.i want to know how safe it is to apply with my 2 year old son being his first time(he will be applying for 6 months)and also currently i am undergoing my mandatory nysc,i want to know if that wont be a problem since corpers are not meant to travel during there nysc year.altho i already have a letter from my employer(the proprietor of the primary school where im serving)stating her consent and that the school is on vacation.lastly,my husbands statement has a lil over a million naira in his account but its barely 3 months that he re activated the account,will the money cover for me and my son?.what are my chances pls,ur advice will be much appreciated pls.i wish everyone a great weekend.
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by silversheep: 9:30am On Jul 28, 2012
my husbands statement of account has been on for over 10 years now but he didnt use the account since 2010 but just reactivated it 13 june and im planninf on submitting my application on 3rd aug,will the account be acceptable for application?
Re: General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 by silversheep: 9:31am On Jul 28, 2012
mr vicjustice,i will so much appreciate a response plsssssssssssssssss.

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (426)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Travelling To Canada Part 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.