Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812269 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:15am On May 22, 2015
deraugo:
Wish to study network security in my M.SC at anglia ruskin university Chelmsford in UK. how possible is it to get a job in this field in the UK after studies

Anglia Ruskin is a very very low rated university
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:38am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11601739/International-students-key-to-UK-economy.html

This article highlights the difference between UK and competing economies in terms of immigration policy towards foreign students.

I am here in the UK, my future is very promising however I will Always tell other Nigerian students that there are FAR more better options in terms of foreign countries to study in than the UK.

What are you doing in the uk?you ve better options.there are Nigerian students who whose better options is uk.so don't conclude and say other countries are far better.you had your choice allow others to make their choices too.
Not all Nigerians want to settle in developed countries.some just want to study and come back.Most NL members are after job like those countries don't have citizens.A time will come these countries you are singing praises for will be like UK.
Rome was a powerful empire centuries ago were are they now?Egypt was the in thing were are they now. Canada does not have work my friend that read economics did her undergraduate level in canada did masters in economics in the US today na blogging.she has never worked but she's making cash.its about choices.don't block another persons blessing because things did not work out for you. You can only advice if the person is refused visa more than two times its not a do or die affair.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:47am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

Anglia Ruskin is a very very low rated university

My boss studied in "Bedforshire" university in uk.she worked for several years in Uk.she got her first job immediately after her masters.Bedforshire is very low rated but today she runs her own business.she has worked in top places both in UK and Nigeria before she started her own.I know of a guys who attend same school and he is doing very fine.its all about packaging,mingle with people don't be an island.
Not all Nigerian students are after automatic job opportunties so don't conclude.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:50am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

Emm... Net immigration quota also contributes to prospects. If Australia has no quota to the number of international students allowed to work after studies, is it.logical to say that students in the UK have equal opportunities as their Australian counterparts for example?

Why did you come to the UK, if you had all this information?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:37am On May 22, 2015
dolapobello1:

Why did you come to the UK, if you had all this information?

I didn't have all the information
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:38am On May 22, 2015
Preciousstones:

My boss studied in "Bedforshire" university in uk.she worked for several years in Uk.she got her first job immediately after her masters.Bedforshire is very low rated but today she runs her own business.she has worked in top places both in UK and Nigeria before she started her own.I know of a guys who attend same school and he is doing very fine.its all about packaging,mingle with people don't be an island.
Not all Nigerian students are after automatic job opportunties so don't conclude.

When did she finish from Bedfordshire? The immigration policy was very lenient then
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:40am On May 22, 2015
Preciousstones:

What are you doing in the uk?you ve better options.there are Nigerian students who whose better options is uk.so don't conclude and say other countries are far better.you had your choice allow others to make their choices too.
Not all Nigerians want to settle in developed countries.some just want to study and come back.Most NL members are after job like those countries don't have citizens.A time will come these countries you are singing praises for will be like UK.
Rome was a powerful empire centuries ago were are they now?Egypt was the in thing were are they now. Canada does not have work my friend that read economics did her undergraduate level in canada did masters in economics in the US today na blogging.she has never worked but she's making cash.its about choices.don't block another persons blessing because things did not work out for you. You can only advice if the person is refused visa more than two times its not a do or die affair.

How do you mean things did not.work for me? I am still studying in the UK, I have about 3 interviews lined up. I am saying it as it is

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:58am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

How do you mean things did not.work for me? I am still studying in the UK, I have about 3 interviews lined up. I am saying it as it is

Please 'm sorry for that mistake I have no right to say things did not work for you.please accept my apology and goodluck with your interview

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:01am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

When did she finish from Bedfordshire? The immigration policy was very lenient then

Like 2004 but the guy who finished there was like 2010 or 11 can't remember.she did an internship before she graduated
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:01am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

Emm... Net immigration quota also contributes to prospects. If Australia has no quota to the number of international students allowed to work after studies, is it.logical to say that students in the UK have equal opportunities as their Australian counterparts for example?

Initially when you started the ant-UK campaign i was with you because i thought you were preaching to group of people who can not fully afford it but wanted to come and hustle and pay fees but you have shifted the whole thing to include just anybody and you lost me.

Like Preciousstones and spikesC pointed out people's plan, experience and luck are not the same, you can not send a blanket warning signal to every dam person wanting to come to the UK. Many are not interested in staying back, many are coming with work experience which will increase their chances of getting a job here and some are just lucky to get a job even before people with papers here.

Australia and Canada are not what you made them to be, Australia has the toughest immigration policy, the UK mirrored that of Australia and Canada is changing faster than ever else they will bear the brunt of what Australia and the UK have done.

Tell people both sides of the situation and allow them to make their choices just as you did and ended up in the UK.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 10:27am On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11601739/International-students-key-to-UK-economy.html

This article highlights the difference between UK and competing economies in terms of immigration policy towards foreign students.

I am here in the UK, my future is very promising however I will Always tell other Nigerian students that there are FAR more better options in terms of foreign countries to study in than the UK.

The article highlights the, obvious, implication of the removal of the PSW.
What you should compare is the quality of education and job prospects, rather than PSW, in determining the best country to go and STUDY.

The problem is that you're mixing priorities here. Your audience are coming to study and look for graduate jobs eventually.
The economy is bad globally, so don't blame the UK for the strict rules.
The message is simple, if you cannot fund your education for its duration and get a graduate job, don't bother. The menial jobs is for those who're already here

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:16pm On May 22, 2015
spikesC:

What you should compare is the quality of education and job prospects, rather than PSW, in determining the best country to go and STUDY.

The problem is that you're mixing priorities here. Your audience are coming to study and look for graduate jobs eventually.
The message is simple, if you cannot fund your education for its duration and get a graduate job, don't bother. The menial jobs is for those who're already here

Lol...no psw means menial jobs are not for people here?! really anyway, I am studying Subsea Engineering and I have heard the words you would have made a wonderful engineer with us except you do not have a workpermit in the UK at least 15 times and I kid you not.From GE, Exxon Mobil, DNV etc. So I do not say what I say because of bias , the reality remains that UK deals a very bad hand to international students and I believe with strong evidence that studying in Canada, USA, and Australia to mention but a few is much better than studying in the UK.

As for quality of education, it is an argument that varies from school to school and is not very dependent on country. UK education especially MSc has on advantage that it ends quite fast and thus saves you valuable time.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:17pm On May 22, 2015
spikesC:

And I have had one phone interview with a refinery in Canada even though I didn't even study there. Hope this gives you some perspective on my argument.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 22, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

And I have had one phone interview with a refinery in Canada even though I didn't even study there. Hope this gives you some perspective on my argument.

Because of your uk masters degree which makes your cv attractive.if you had a canadian diploma or advance trust me they won't look at your cv self.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:50am On May 23, 2015
Anyone in or just going to Heriot-Watt university, edinburgh, and how good is the school also in terms of jobs, am going for Msc construction project management
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:00am On May 23, 2015
qstomiwa:
Anyone in or just going to Heriot-Watt university, edinburgh, and how good is the school also in terms of jobs, am going for Msc construction project management

It is one of the best schools in the UK and it is highly regarded in the industry. I recommend this school.

Signed Dj Buckwild

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:18am On May 23, 2015
Are u a student there or any nairalander there

It is one of the best schools in the UK and it is highly regarded in the industry. I recommend this school.

Signed Dj Buckwild[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 11:27am On May 23, 2015
qstomiwa:

Have you considered Civil Engineering and Management? That's what I'm doing but not in Heriot-Watt though. Just suggesting to you bro if you studied civil engineering.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 2:14pm On May 23, 2015
Msc HRM in Anglia Ruskin or sheffield hallam university, which of dis uni hav higher ratings for buisness courses undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 23, 2015
I studied Quantity surveying, what school are u studyin civil engineering n management, is that not narrow compared to construction project mgt

Have you considered Civil Engineering and Management? That's what I'm doing but not in Heriot-Watt though. Just suggesting to you bro if you studied civil engineering.[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by elohorayodele: 2:41pm On May 23, 2015
ujugirl88:
Msc HRM in Anglia Ruskin or sheffield hallam university, which of dis uni hav higher ratings for buisness courses undecided
You can get UK university ratings online. Google it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 4:04pm On May 23, 2015
qstomiwa:
I studied Quantity surveying, what school are u studyin civil engineering n management, is that not narrow compared to construction project mgt

Have you considered Civil Engineering and Management? That's what I'm doing but not in Heriot-Watt though. Just suggesting to you bro if you studied civil engineering.

Are you kidding

Civil engineering on its own covers construction amidst other spheres.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 23, 2015
I know but civil engineering n management is like a continuation of BENG civil engineering with few management courses and it's inclined towards the contractor way as in working as a construction manager buy construction project management is inclined towards the client way managing projects as in consultancy

Are you kidding

Civil engineering on its own covers construction amidst other spheres.[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 23, 2015
I know but civil engineering n management is like a continuation of BENG civil engineering with few management courses and it's inclined towards the contractor way as in working as a construction manager buy construction project management is inclined towards the client way managing projects as in consultancy, what varsity are you?
Are you kidding

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Anyi3(m): 7:30pm On May 23, 2015
qstomiwa:
I know but civil engineering n management is like a continuation of BENG civil engineering with few management courses and it's inclined towards the contractor way as in working as a construction manager buy construction project management is inclined towards the client way managing projects as in consultancy, what varsity are you?
Are you kidding

Bro, please learn how to quote so I know when you respond.

As for your points, Construction project management is good but I tell you that the jobs you can apply for with that I can easily apply for them as well. Then the other jobs which I can apply for, a construction project management degree may not be able to. You already do know civil covers a whole lot of spheres - design, construction, architecture (a bit). Construction project management is only picking one sphere. I am studying in Glasgow. I have a whole semester to do management courses, so the management I do is really broad
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:02pm On May 23, 2015
[quote author=Anyi3 post=34032076]

Bro, please learn how to quote so I know when you respond.

As for your points, Construction project management is good but I tell you that the jobs you can apply for with that I can easily apply for them as well. Then the other jobs which I can apply for, a construction project management degree may not be able to. You already do know civil covers a whole lot of spheres - design, construction, architecture (a bit). Construction project management is only picking one sphere. I am studying in Glasgow. I have a whole semester to do management courses, so the management I do is really broad[/you are deadly right, but u know that one sphere u ar talking about puts the CPM in position of authority, God bless us bro ]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 5:29am On May 25, 2015
I would not fault GeneralShepherd for his statements as I see some might want to, I think he only found out how different, things seem to be while in the Uk compared to the celestial vision painted by impressionists to Nigerians in social media, online forums and the likes.

The person who recently posted about his new job also previously shared similar ideology about Uk taking advantage of international students. (refer to page 100 of this thread).

The fact remains, one size doesn't fit all. People should assess their prospects and plan according to their situations. While I do not deny the presence of these problems General shepherd writes of, I think more importantly, it is relative to the person viewing it and they have to see if this applies to their situation or not (afterall he was advising someone he probably imagined to be in such peculiar situation and not throwing it all out for all and sundry). Bottom Line: Dont rush into a country with your money cos you heard a lot of flashy tales without doing your research to assess how you fit into the picture.

A COUPLE OF MORE WORDS ON THE POWER OF OPINION-DRIVEN ADVICE
Advice is given for suggestive reference not to be taken as paths set in stone. That's what we have our minds for - Decision Making. And I believe everyone has a sound mind on this thread to make decisions that benefit them. Therefore no matter how unconventional someone elses advice might seem, remember they might have worthy experiences that have brought about their decision to thread that line of thought. However, advice shouldnt be imposed, leave room for the advicee to make judgements in their individual contexts.

That said, I believe everyone can learn a thing or two from each other if we focus more on what some of the statemets(advice) made here could mean to others who might have different reasons for reading this thread than the majority and who (for reasons best known to them) might not be able to post but follow whatever advice they see here that concerns them.

Apologies if this took too long to get my point across.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by claremont(m): 9:07am On May 25, 2015
The fact of the matter which we all agree on is that the current UK immigration policies are not in favour of those international students whose intention is to live in the UK after studies. There was a time when the UK offered a 2-year post-study work visa, the vast majority of international students (including myself) used that as a stepping stone to obtaining citizenship in the UK; that avenue has been shut. In the current system, only very few (exceptionally lucky) international students can actually get an employer to sponsor their work permit during the 4-month leeway they have before their student visa expires. Why would an employer sponsor a work permit for a non-EU graduate when they have the whole of the UK and the EU to source for suitable candidates from?

The advice is that those prospective international students whose real intention is to immigrate should consider Canada and Australia because of their less stringent work permit requirements after graduation. The vast majority of international students who still come to the UK to study are those who intend to either go back to their country of origin after graduation, or they intend to immigrate to the aforementioned countries after graduation, or maybe those who intend to marry a weather-beaten, middle-aged white whale for the sake of a residence visa.

Just a note of warning to all would-be immigrants, having a permanent residence status in a developed country doesn't automatically grant you a job. It only offers you an opportunity to explore your potentials, whether a human being chooses to exploit the opportunity provided is up to him/her.

My 2p.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 1:58pm On May 25, 2015
claremont:
The fact of the matter which we all agree on is that the current UK immigration policies are not in favour of those international students whose intention is to live in the UK after studies. There was a time when the UK offered a 2-year post-study work visa, the vast majority of international students (including myself) used that as a stepping stone to obtaining citizenship in the UK; that avenue has been shut. In the current system, only very few (exceptionally lucky) international students can actually get an employer to sponsor their work permit during the 4-month leeway they have before their student visa expires. Why would an employer sponsor a work permit for a non-EU graduate when they have the whole of the UK and the EU to source for suitable candidates from?

The advice is that those prospective international students whose real intention is to immigrate should consider Canada and Australia because of their less stringent work permit requirements after graduation. The vast majority of international students who still come to the UK to study are those who intend to either go back to their country of origin after graduation, or they intend to immigrate to the aforementioned countries after graduation, or maybe those who intend to marry a weather-beaten, middle-aged white whale for the sake of a residence visa.

Just a note of warning to all would-be immigrants, having a permanent residence status in a developed country doesn't automatically grant you a job. It only offers you an opportunity to explore your potentials, whether a human being chooses to exploit the opportunity provided is up to him/her.

My 2p.

Thanks so much for your objective analysis of the current situation. At least it gives prospective international students an insight to make a decision that best suit their case.

Your 2p makes a whole lot afterall. shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:05pm On May 25, 2015
Dfavouredone:

Thanks so much for your objective analysis of the current situation. At least it gives prospective international students an insight to make a decision that best suit their case.

Your 2p makes a whole lot afterall. shocked

It is always sad when people try to glorify UK. Australia has a visa class -Subclass 476 where graduate engineers from other countries are allowed to emigrate into their country. Yet Britain throws us out without batting an eye lid
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:20pm On May 25, 2015
GeneralShepherd:

It is always sad when people try to glorify UK. Australia has a visa class -Subclass 476 where graduate engineers from other countries are allowed to emigrate into their country. Yet Britain throws us out without batting an eye lid

Nobody is glorifying the UK, you failed to do your research before coming, just as you haven't been to Austral or Canada but keep singing their praises, don't just read the headlines, the devil is in details in every immigration policy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 4:14pm On May 26, 2015
This post is for someone on this thread. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32872211

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.