Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (119) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (812355 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:31pm On May 26, 2015
Cavenchy:
This post is for someone on this thread. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32872211

You are still an alarmist like i said before, the referendum hasn't even taken place, you don't know whether the British public will vote yes to leave the EU but you are warning people about the UK leaving the EU. If the UK leaves the EU by any chances will not change much.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 4:44pm On May 26, 2015
justwise:

You are still an alarmist like i said before, the referendum hasn't even taken place, you don't know whether the British public will vote yes to leave the EU but you are warning people about the UK leaving the EU. If the UK leaves the EU by any chances will not change much.

You are entitled to your opinion, it doesn't matter if they vote yes or no. The intention in itself is enough for all to see where the government stands on immigration. And let me repeat, I do not warn people about the UK leaving the EU, it makes no sense to do that. I was educating you about something you denied ever existed. It's an example of the change in immigration policies to discourage immigration to the UK which I write about. They are done with internationals, EU is next. If you have nothing better to do with your time castigating people, quit the name.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:56pm On May 26, 2015
Cavenchy:

You are entitled to your opinion, it doesn't matter if they vote yes or no. The intention in itself is enough for all to see where the government stands on immigration. And let me repeat, I do not warn people about the UK leaving the EU, it makes no sense to do that. I was educating you about something you denied ever existed. It's an example of the change in immigration policies to discourage immigration to the UK which I write about. They are done with internationals, EU is next. If you have nothing better to do with your time castigating people, quit the name.

You got no clue about what you are talking about, what has the UK leaving the EU got to do with foreign student from non-EU countries?

You need to educate yourself and not me because you don't seem to read any article in details before jumping into conclusion.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:59pm On May 26, 2015
Cavenchy:

Lol, tell them GeneralShepherd? TBH, I'm not quite sure if/why anyone wants to live here permanently. UK's facing one of the toughest times in history. A good percentage of the young citizenry prefer to hang out at local pubs than their forefathers who sought to conquer the world. They blamed the misfortunes of events on the non-eu international immigrants who didn't receive any benefits and eliminated many opportunities for them to find UK an attractive destination. However, the 'benefits' seeking EU immigration was allowed to continue unabated, This saw a dramatic influx of settlers from all over the EU demanding benefits in the UK. Now a referendum is currently sought by the UK to pull out from this same EU. The question is, what would be left of the UK when all these internationals leave? Would the benefits for citizens continue? Would the present crop of partying generation brits be willing to work as hard as the migrants did without extra benefits?.. Food for thought#.

That was your initials post,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 5:10pm On May 26, 2015
justwise:

You got no clue about what you are talking about, what has the UK leaving the EU got to do with foreign student from non-EU countries?

You need to educate yourself and not me because you don't seem to read any article in details before jumping into conclusion.

Now you are quoting me out of context. You know what I was referring to when I first posted about UK and their views on immigration and you understood clearly I was referring to the bigger picture. But you chose to remain adamant and now you've twisted it to a myopic debate on UK/EU as though this was the beginning of the drama. It's baseless arguing with you. You used to be a lot wiser before, but now whatever respect I have left is on the edge with this awful display of mediocrity on your part.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 5:16pm On May 26, 2015
justwise:

That was your initials post,

Your post is one sided. Highlighting only the EU part and leaving out the Non-Eu part of my post displays you lack the ability to grasp the idea of the entire post. Rather than picking just ''Jesus wept'' in the bible, why not read the entire book to find out what led to 'Jesus weeping'?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:17pm On May 26, 2015
Cavenchy:

Now you are quoting me out of context. You know what I was referring to when I first posted about UK and their views on immigration and you understood clearly I was referring to the bigger picture. But you chose to remain adamant and now you've twisted it to a myopic debate on UK/EU as though this was the beginning of the drama. It's baseless arguing with you. You used to be a lot wiser before, but now whatever respect I have left is on the edge with this awful display of mediocrity on your part.

Let me pretend as if i did not see your insult for now.

How did i quote you out of content? Every dam thing you wrote is there, you just ran out of steam and decided to go on personal attack.

I don't need your respect neither do i know that you have one for me before.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:21pm On May 26, 2015
Cavenchy:

Your post is one sided. Highlighting only the EU part and leaving out the Non-Eu part of my post displays you lack the ability to grasp the idea of the entire post. Rather than picking just ''Jesus wept'' in the bible, why not read the entire book to find out what led to 'Jesus weeping'?

Unlike you i picked the section i disagreed with, that was why i highlighted the EU part which i see as scaremongering
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Cavenchy(m): 5:37pm On May 26, 2015
justwise:

Unlike you i picked the section i disagreed with, that was why i highlighted the EU part which i see as scaremongering

I understand this is your thread, but it's not necessary for you to be the know-it-all just because you own it.

That said, just because you do not feel other people have a brain to make their research and have valuable opinions doesn't make them alarmist or scaremongers. The same original post you condemned had likes on it. You aren't the only one making judgements or reading these posts, a lot of people can relate to them other than yourself, including EU citizens.

I didn't think you were being sarcastic until you started saying same things to others with different mindsets to yours. I do not know General Shepherd, but once I saw you saying he failed to do research with such disdain, I knew the Mr Wise I once followed has become something else. Whatever happened to you, I hope you change soon enough.

A word is enough for the wise.

Thanks for the good advice you gave me when the times were good.

For now,

Officially Unfollowed

and ps: I don't expect you to miss me so forget saying you wont.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:44pm On May 26, 2015
Cavenchy:

I understand this is your thread, but it's not necessary for you to be the know-it-all just because you own it.

That said, just because you do not feel other people have a brain to make their research and have valuable opinions doesn't make them alarmist or scaremongers. The same original post you condemned had likes on it. You aren't the only one making judgements or reading these posts, a lot of people can relate to them other than yourself, including EU citizens.

I didn't think you were being sarcastic until you started saying same things to others with different mindsets to yours. I do not know General Shepherd, but once I saw you saying he failed to do research with such disdain, I knew the Mr Wise I once followed has become something else. Whatever happened to you, I hope you change soon enough.

A word is enough for the wise.

Thanks for the good advice you gave me when the times were good.

For now,

Officially Unfollowed

and ps: I don't expect you to miss me so forget saying you wont.

Oh please stick it! Don't even patronize me, if you are incapable of having a matured argument without sounding so childish then move on.

You should be intelligent enough to know that i don't wipe noses, feel free to disagree with me but don't insult me because we don't see things the same way.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 12:35pm On May 28, 2015
Pls for a 2 years Msc course in UK,how many years student visa will be issued for it?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tshegs19: 2:16pm On May 28, 2015
ujugirl88:
Pls for a 2 years Msc course in UK,how many years student visa will be issued for it?

4 months are added after your course end date.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 2:58pm On May 28, 2015
tshegs19:

4 months are added after your course end date.
Ok.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 28, 2015
Na wa o. Why una dey fight na?

Moral of the story: Know what you want.

Can you get access to Worldclass Education in the UK? Yes
Can you easily settle in and get a job after graduating? Maybe not.

Simple...

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 10:19am On May 29, 2015
Pls house,whats the best way to pay fees, mastercard or thru bank transfer? undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:41am On May 29, 2015
ujugirl88:
Pls house,whats the best way to pay fees, mastercard or thru bank transfer? undecided

To me I prefer bank transfer because of the amount been paid(fees).I don't know about mastercard I believe it will be much faster and easier.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 29, 2015
Preciousstones:

To me I prefer bank transfer because of the amount been paid(fees).I don't know about mastercard I believe it will be much faster and easier.
@ujugirl88 From personal experience, pay the minimum required for CAS then pay the balance by POS when you get to the school. I don't know of any UK school that doesn't accept POS for fee payment but you may contact your school's international students office or bursary to be certain. Paying with POS saves you of any bank changes. Thank me later wink
Note: Make sure your card is tested okay by using it on ATM and POS terminals before leaving Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 3:37pm On May 29, 2015
naijamark:

@ujugirl88 From personal experience, pay the minimum required for CAS then pay the balance by POS when you get to the school. I don't know of any UK school that doesn't accept POS for fee payment but you may contact your school's international students office or bursary to be certain. Paying with POS saves you of any bank changes. Thank me later wink
Note: Make sure your card is tested okay by using it on ATM and POS terminals before leaving Nigeria.
Thanks a lot naijamark. Are u sure they don't charge for pos.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 29, 2015
ujugirl88:

Thanks a lot naijamark. Are u sure they don't charge for pos.
No charges dear, absolutely free, just like you're paying for stuffs at shoprite. Avoid GTB cards though, their exchange rates is out of this world.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:00pm On May 29, 2015
naijamark:

Thank you smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 5:13pm On May 29, 2015
naijamark:

No charges dear, absolutely free, just like you're paying for stuffs at shoprite. Avoid GTB cards though, their exchange rates is out of this world.
Thanks..i ve Ecobank mastercard sha
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 29, 2015
ujugirl88:

Thanks..i ve Ecobank mastercard sha
Their rate is okay. I'll advise you to use it on ATM and POS terminals in Nigeria before travelling, I can't stress this enough. Confirm your card validity period too, make sure it doesn't expire soon.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 5:29pm On May 29, 2015
O
naijamark:

Their rate is okay. I'll advise you to use it on ATM and POS terminals in Nigeria before travelling, I can't stress this enough. Confirm your card validity period too, make sure it doesn't expire soon.
Ohh ok. So if it doesn't work on atm and pos terminals in naija, it won't work in UK undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 29, 2015
naijamark, are you trying to say its better to pay the deposit first?because I was thinking of paying the whole fees.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 29, 2015
Preciousstones:
naijamark, are you trying to say its better to pay the deposit first?because I was thinking of paying the whole fees.
If you're not concerned by the bank charges then go to your bank, present copy of your admission letter, university fee payment instruction and passport then request for "form A". The bank purchase forex on your behalf and transfer the fund by telex (wire transfer) to your school (they'll charge you transfer fees of course).
Otherwise, follow the option I earlier described by paying the minimum fee by wire transfer then transfer the balance by POS upon arrival to your school.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 29, 2015
ujugirl88:
O
Ohh ok. So if it doesn't work on atm and pos terminals in naija, it won't work in UK undecided
Definitely. And if it works on ATM and POS in Nigeria, it certainly will work abroad.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 29, 2015
naijamark:

If you're not concerned by the bank charges then go to your bank, present copy of your admission letter, university fee payment instruction and passport then request for "form A". The bank purchase forex on your behalf and transfer the fund by telex (wire transfer) to your school (they'll charge you transfer fees of course).
Otherwise, follow the option I earlier described by paying the minimum fee by wire transfer then transfer the balance by POS upon arrival to your school.

Thank you much smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 11:17pm On May 29, 2015
naijamark:

Thanks smiley, do u have an idea of how much d charge,lets say u are paying £10,000,how much wil be the transfer fees??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:03am On May 30, 2015
ujugirl88:

Thanks smiley, do u have an idea of how much d charge,lets say u are paying £10,000,how much wil be the transfer fees??
That depends on the bank. For £10,000 expect to pay about NGN65,000 as bank transfer charges.
GTBank:
Telex / swift charge = N4,000
FX commission = 2%
VAT = 0.5% of the FX commission
+ another charge, probably handling charge = 2% (I'm not sure what that is, I actually deleted their email as soon as I read it, some weeks ago)
Access Bank:
Handling Charge = 0.5%
VAT (On Commission/Handling Charge) = 5%
Swift Charge = £15
Offshore Charge = £15
I think Access is cheaper. Check with all banks you have accounts with. Ensure you transfer with your own account in case you want a refund from your school, the money will be returned to the account where it was received from.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 8:04am On May 30, 2015
naijamark:

That depends on the bank. For £10,000 expect to pay about NGN65,000 as bank transfer charges.
GTBank:
Telex / swift charge = N4,000
FX commission = 2%
VAT = 0.5% of the FX commission
+ another charge, probably handling charge = 2% (I'm not sure what that is, I actually deleted their email as soon as I read it, some weeks ago)
Access Bank:
Handling Charge = 0.5%
VAT (On Commission/Handling Charge) = 5%
Swift Charge = £15
Offshore Charge = £15
I think Access is cheaper. Check with all banks you have accounts with. Ensure you transfer with your own account in case you want a refund from your school, the money will be returned to the account where it was received from.
Ok,thanks.i have an acount with both acess and eco bank,i will go for the cheaper bank..thanks once again..u rock smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:19am On May 30, 2015
ujugirl88:

Ok,thanks.i have an acount with both acess and eco bank,i will go for the cheaper bank..thanks once again..u rock smiley
Your account has to be a domiciliary account in Pounds if you want to bring cash from BDC or Mallam. No need if you're using the "form A" option.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ujugirl88(f): 9:42am On May 30, 2015
naijamark:

Your account has to be a domiciliary account in Pounds if you want to bring cash from BDC or Mallam. No need if you're using the "form A" option.
Ohh ok,so I can use the form A with my saving acount?

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.