Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,377 members, 7,815,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (507) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1782210 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) ... (697) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by igwebuike01: 3:48am On Sep 01, 2017
BY: MAURICE OKAFOR, ENUGU 26-04-2017 04:01:34 AM Share

Ugwuanyi wants Enugu mining fields re-awarded to state govt

Governor Ifeanyi Ug­wuanyi of Enugu State has appealed to the Federal Government to consider revoking all the dormant licences or leases of the mining fields in the state and re-award them to the state government.
Ugwuanyi said that the state government has the capacity and glut of inves­tors who are eager to com­mence mining operations in the state.
He spoke when the Min­ister of Mines and Steels Development, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, the Minister for State, Hon. Bawa Bwari Abubakar, and other top officials of the ministry visited the Government House, Enugu.
The minister and his team were in Enugu State on an inspection tour of mining sites as well as to interact with mining stakeholders in the state, with a view to revitalising the solid mineral sector in line with the diversifica­tion policy of the govern­ment.
Ugwuanyi, while appre­ciating the Federal Gov­ernment’s initiatives on reviving the solid mineral sector, frowned at the un­pleasant situation in the mining industry in the state, basically caused by “the nonchalant and unco­operative attitude of own­ers of mining leases and li­cences for solid minerals in Enugu State”, who he said “are virtually unknown to the state government”.
He disclosed that Enugu State is richly endowed with solid mineral resourc­es such as coal, limestone, sandstone, lead, zinc and gas, regretting that despite these endowments, the state has paradoxically gained so little from their existence, especially after the collapse and eventual winding up of the Nigeria Coal Corporation.
“Your Excellency, I am sure you are aware that, apart from coal, Enugu State is endowed with other minerals such as limestone, sandstone, lead and zinc and gas. It must however interest you to know that mining leases or licenses for most of these minerals-covering almost every part of Enu­gu State-were awarded and have been held for years by companies that have shown little or no interest whatsoever in ex­ploiting or extracting the minerals.
“We are compelled to describe them as ghost miners because not only are they not doing any­thing at all, they are un­known to the State Gov­ernment and have not been seen anywhere near the mine fields”, GovernorUg­wuanyi lamented.
http://www.authorityngr.com/2017/04/Ugwuanyi-wants-Enugu-mining-fields-re-awarded-to-state-govt/

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:38am On Sep 01, 2017
Ogbuefi2020:

Nenwe or no Nenwe Enugu state is ENugu state and any development anywhere is welcome, some of the governor effort in education, i don't know the locations

Try to find out the location so we can appreciate the efforts of our governor and his team of officials.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 7:47am On Sep 01, 2017
I also went to see the outer view of the new Spar mall at Independence layout in Enugu. Pictures loading........

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Develpeast: 8:11am On Sep 01, 2017
Igboland is not impressive since the last time I commented on this thread. It is like we are just moving in circles and I just do not know when we will get it right. Are we shying away from reality or we are expecting miracles to happen first before we know the direction we need to take?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 8:12am On Sep 01, 2017
Develpeast:
Igboland is not impressive since the last time I commented on this thread. It is like we are just moving in circles and I just do not know when we will get it right. Are we shying away from reality or we are expecting miracles to happen first before we know the direction we need to take?
You're speaking in parables. Make your point lucid.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ckenneths(m): 8:44am On Sep 01, 2017

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Oga080666419419: 8:59am On Sep 01, 2017
Develpeast:

What have you done to make her impressive, Innosson and Uche Ogah are humans like you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Stingman: 10:29am On Sep 01, 2017
Private individuals and government are really trying in Enugu. However, the government should do more. There has been many visits by countries and foreign investors, but these meetings have not yielded something tangible. To make these visits realisable, specific projects should be agreed and followed up to its logical end...Teams should be set up within the government, to follow up on those countries, to ensure that the projects agreed on, translate physically...

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Stingman: 11:02am On Sep 01, 2017
Why can' the Enugu House of Assembly pass a bill to make sure all estates have land scaping included in their offering both within the estates and outside areas close to the main road. This will be extended to private house owners, later...If this is done Enugu city will be one of the best places to live in the country. See example as done abroad...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by christejames(m): 1:07pm On Sep 01, 2017
ckenneths:

Wow!
This is lovely and cool... thanks for standing my your word sir. As Oliver Twist, a closer shot I think will melt our hearts!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by MXrap: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2017
Basilo, it is only all talks and more talks. Everyday investors are coming but still yet we have not seen anybody that finally comes back to drop a pin. All that is happening here is blowing hot and cold. Nothing, except long stories and governor posing for pictures every now and then.

igwebuike01:
News | Nigeria | Metro
Enugu, FG partner South African firm to revive coal industry
By Samson Ezea | 03 June 2017 | 4:41 am
South African investors, Simang Group, working with the Federal and Enugu State Government, have begun moves to revive the coal industry in Enugu.

The investors, led by Dr. Basil Enwegbara of the Pan Africa Group and Stephen Paddy, Chairman of Simang Group, during a visit to Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi at the Government House, yesterday, hinted that the principal objective of the investment drive was to use coal to generate electricity and then spin a chain of allied business activities for the benefit of the people of the Southeast and Nigeria as a whole.

Ugwuanyi told the investors: ìWe have always been hopeful that coal will once again play a major role in the economic development of the country.

Our opportunity to actualise the dream has come. This meeting offers Enugu State Government the opportunity to establish a relationship with the Simang Group.î

Speaking on behalf of the investors, Enwegbara, who is the Executive Vice Chairman of Pan African Development Corporation, assured that their intervention would certainly change the narrative of electric power generation in Nigeria, especially in the Southeast.

Paddy, on his part, told the governor: ìFrom the South African perspective, I am interested to make sure that I facilitate trade and investment, when there is need for Nigerians to use their natural resources to curtail the challenges that the country is facing to make sure that the economic development within the country is achieved.î

Director General of Voice of Nigeria (VON), Mr. Osita Okechukwu, said he was just a messenger there to deliver a message from President Muhammadu Buhari, who directed him to tell Ndigbo that he has commenced the first phase of the promise to revamp Enugu coal to generate electricity and employment.

He said after a careful evaluation of all the companies that indicated interest by the minister of Mines and Steel Development, Simang group was chosen to partner with Federal and Enugu State Governments to revamp Enugu coal.
https://guardian.ng/news/enugu-fg-partner-south-african-firm-to-revive-coal-industry/

Stories upon stories without the real substance. Going in circles with stories every year.

igwebuike01:
Iran seeks business ties with Enugu govt
ON AUGUST 2, 20173:43
ENUGU—The Ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to Nigeria, Morteza Rahimi Zarchi, has disclosed the willingness of the Asian country to establish general bilateral business relationship with the Enugu State Government, especially in the area of rendering medical services. VISIT: Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State (middle); Ambassador of Islamic Republic of Iran to Nigeria, Morteza Rahimi Zarchi (right) and his Deputy, S. A Mortazavi, during a courtesy visit to the Government House, Enugu, yesterday. Ambassador Zarchi, who spoke at the Government House, Enugu, when he paid a courtesy call on the governor, in company with the management of FIT Consult Limited, stated that his delegation were in Enugu on a feasibility study of establishing an Iranian hospital, modelled after the one in Dubai, at the ongoing Heliu Residences project in Enugu as well as general bilateral cooperation with the state government. The Iranian Ambassador said his country’s decision to seek bilateral cooperation with Enugu State Government was because of the state’s historical background, its natural resources, the geographical location, which he said links other neighbouring states, the international airport as well as the existing peace in the state. He added that there are many Iranian companies into drugs manufacturing, especially herbal medicines, which are very useful in treating diabetes and other diseases, revealing that they are willing to bring the drugs to Nigeria or even import the raw materials into the country for final production. While expressing delight at the interest shown by Iran in establishing a world class medical facility in the Heliu Estate under the International brand name, Iranian Hospital, Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi disclosed that “there are many other areas of potential partnership and cooperation between your country and Enugu State, cutting across various sectors of the economy. “As Your Excellency may know, the state is richly endowed with copious investment opportunities, especially in agriculture and agro-allied enterprises and in the extraction and processing of such minerals as coal, limestone, clay, oil, gas etc all of which are found in very abundant quantities in the state. “The presence of an international (passenger and cargo) airport and the establishment of a Free Trade Zone in Enugu as well as the urbanisation initiatives of the government, provide a further boost to the economic potentials and profile of the state. “We, therefore, seek the assistance of your embassy to enlighten business organisations in Iran as to these opportunities and to also facilitate their entry into Enugu State as investors.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/08/iran-seeks-business-ties-enugu-govt/

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ogene001: 6:35pm On Sep 01, 2017
spyder880:

Try to find out the location so we can appreciate the efforts of our governor and his team of officials.
This particular one has a location

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ogene001: 7:06pm On Sep 01, 2017
Stingman:
Private individuals and government are really trying in Enugu. However, the government should do more. There has been many visits by countries and foreign investors, but these meetings have not yielded something tangible. To make these visits realisable, specific projects should be agreed and followed up to its logical end...Teams should be set up within the government, to follow up on those countries, to ensure that the projects agreed on, translate physically...
Not every development is tangible, my friend posted pictures of his poultry farm on facebook yesterday, 600 birds inside battery cages all brought from Ibadan worth almost 1.5 million, i asked him how got such money, he said its a grant by Enugu government in conjunction with world bank, so i searched to see if i can benefit and i saw this news

World Bank earmarks $200m on agric project in 9 states

ON MAY 11, 20176:25 AMIN NEWSCOMMENTS

Nine states in the country will benefit from a new World Bank-supported $200 million agricultural programme, an official said in Kaduna yesterday.

The programme, tagged Agriculture Productivity Processing Enhancement and Livelihood Scheme Projects, APPEALS, will focus on food security, local production, job creation and economic diversification.

wold bank
Dr. Sheu Salau, the bank’s Task Team Leader, made the disclosure in an interview, on the sidelines of a two-day meeting on Commercial Agriculture Development Project, CADP.

The team leader said 40 percent of the amount would go to projects to support youth and women in the participating states, which include Kano, Kaduna, Lagos, Cross River, Kogi and Enugu, while the remaining three states would be announced after fulfilling set conditions.

Salau said the successful implementation of the CADP programme informed the approval for the new project.

He said 82 percent of CADP funds had been released to the beneficiaries and disbursement of the balance would continue even after May 31, when the project would wind up.

He said so far, more than 3,000 youths and women had benefited from the project in various food supply value chain programmes in the five states that participated.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/world-bank-earmarks-200m-agric-project-9-states/

Then i remembered Louise Amoke's facebook post on the visit of world bank country director to Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. Also Remember that Enugu met set conditions which three states have not met at that time which include payment of certain percentage as counterpart fund and other forms of lobbying

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ogene001: 7:32pm On Sep 01, 2017
Before some very skeptical people accuse me of making this story up, let me post the facebook post and the chat that ensued

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by MXrap: 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2017
Ogene001:
Before some very skeptical people accuse me of making this story up, let me post the facebook post and the chat that ensued

Basilo, this is nonsense. Is that all the noise about investors you kept posting their stories up and down?

See below how poultry farm should look in the 21st century. (Lynden farms)

Enugu state should devote most of it's attention in attracting genuine investors to establish in the state and create jobs and economy. That's the real deal now that oil wealth is fast disappearing.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ogene001: 7:46pm On Sep 01, 2017
Aerial views of Opi - Nsukka road looks like Akwa Ibom standard of road construction

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Stingman: 10:14pm On Sep 01, 2017
Ogene001:

Not every development is tangible, my friend posted pictures of his poultry farm on facebook yesterday, 600 birds inside battery cages all brought from Ibadan worth almost 1.5 million, i asked him how got such money, he said its a grant by Enugu government in conjunction with world bank, so i searched to see if i can benefit and i saw this news

World Bank earmarks $200m on agric project in 9 states

ON MAY 11, 20176:25 AMIN NEWSCOMMENTS

Nine states in the country will benefit from a new World Bank-supported $200 million agricultural programme, an official said in Kaduna yesterday.

The programme, tagged Agriculture Productivity Processing Enhancement and Livelihood Scheme Projects, APPEALS, will focus on food security, local production, job creation and economic diversification.

wold bank
Dr. Sheu Salau, the bank’s Task Team Leader, made the disclosure in an interview, on the sidelines of a two-day meeting on Commercial Agriculture Development Project, CADP.

The team leader said 40 percent of the amount would go to projects to support youth and women in the participating states, which include Kano, Kaduna, Lagos, Cross River, Kogi and Enugu, while the remaining three states would be announced after fulfilling set conditions.

Salau said the successful implementation of the CADP programme informed the approval for the new project.

He said 82 percent of CADP funds had been released to the beneficiaries and disbursement of the balance would continue even after May 31, when the project would wind up.

He said so far, more than 3,000 youths and women had benefited from the project in various food supply value chain programmes in the five states that participated.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/world-bank-earmarks-200m-agric-project-9-states/

Then i remembered Louise Amoke's facebook post on the visit of world bank country director to Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. Also Remember that Enugu met set conditions which three states have not met at that time which include payment of certain percentage as counterpart fund and other forms of lobbying

The governor is trying in the local areas....There has been no substantial mega project in Enugu capital city...Can you post any if there is? Poultry farm is good, but that is obviously not what people are expecting....A lot needs to be done....There should be budget for urban renewal. City centre or High street should be established by government with facilities that can boost economic development...

Also, planning seems to be issue as well. For instance the new Nsukka to Enugu road should have been a dual carriage as most people travelling to SS region from the north and Abuja pass through that road. Traffic build up has started already...I have travelled through the road...From NCC to Abakpa road junction doesn't look good. Sections of the segment is already going bad...The segement has no gutter...

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ruggedized1: 12:13am On Sep 02, 2017
Basilo you are a hopeless dumb bastard. The aerotropolis is ongoing. You can only hate but the Chinese are already on site.

All you do is daily crying your heart out of envy and frustration but you are not concerned about the dilapidated enugu state airport. Enugu state airport has been dilapidated and the building is collapsing but you are not bothered. Enugu state airport is not viable, the only reason the FG has left it to waste away.

Enugu is not considered in the new FG rail masterplan that will roll out speed rail line because it is not important to the FG. Lagos-Calabar speed standard gauge rail connects Onitsha to Asaba then Benin Lagos. Enugu is an inconsequential town, the reason your village state is not considered.

igwebuike01:

who is dis dumb ass.s nigga? You are seeing an airport that beat abuja and kano in cargo departure in one year and you are here talking about anambra china airport that exist in their dreams. can we see pictures of constructions please? Let anambra sign the imaginary railway to connect their villages and remove Enugu lets wait and see how china will waste their hard earned money on useless village projects. By the way how far with your Chinese consulate?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:55am On Sep 02, 2017
more......

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 9:59am On Sep 02, 2017

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by letusbepieces: 10:02am On Sep 02, 2017
spyder880:
Wat is EFCC investigating?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:12am On Sep 02, 2017
And some people from rural Enugu still cannot get to their villages in the rainy seasons, except with motorcycles. If you put your car on this road, even a towing van cannot help you grin

Nomeh Unteze people, I hail una, a patient dog will eat the fattest bone. Help is on the way but not from the state government, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi does not even know where Nomeh is on the Enugu state map. cheesy

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:17am On Sep 02, 2017
letusbepieces:

Wat is EFCC investigating?

I tire o, the amount of paints they have used to write all over all the fence is amusing.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by letusbepieces: 10:18am On Sep 02, 2017
spyder880:

I tire o, the amount of paints they have used to write all over all the fence is amusing.

It is like any development in the East gives dem running stomach. We cannot continue like dis.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by letusbepieces: 10:20am On Sep 02, 2017
spyder880:
And some people from rural Enugu still cannot get to their villages in the rainy seasons, except with motorcycles. If you put your car on this road, even a towing van cannot help you grin

Nomeh Unteze people, I hail una, a patient dog will eat the fattest bone. Help is on the way but not from the state government, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi does not even know where Nomeh is on the Enugu state map. cheesy

If dey are not ready to build road at least make the surface hard with stones and cement.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 10:21am On Sep 02, 2017
letusbepieces:

It is like any development in the East gives dem running stomach. We cannot continue like dis.

Just same way they froze Cosmo FM, Rinbownet etc, up until today, we have not heard anything from them again, while workers has lost their jobs and many opportunities lost.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by letusbepieces: 10:22am On Sep 02, 2017
spyder880:

Just same way they froze Cosmo FM, Rinbownet etc, up until today, we have not heard anything from them again, while workers has lost their jobs and many opportunities lost.

Do dey freeze it like dat in Kano, Kaduna, Borno, Jigawa, Zamfara, Kebbi and Sokoto?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by letusbepieces: 10:28am On Sep 02, 2017
In the East we need a temporary fix before the main construction of road begins.

Stone are fairly attainable, even for free, so we focus on Labour charge or maybe cement to hold dem in position.

At least all the roads will be motor-able, particularly the rural.

Systematically, on a turn by turn bases we tar them all.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Stingman: 11:25am On Sep 02, 2017
letusbepieces:
In the East we need a temporary fix before the main construction of road begins.

Stone are fairly attainable, even for free, so we focus on Labour charge or maybe cement to hold dem in position.

At least all the roads will be motor-able, particularly the rural.

Systematically, on a turn by turn bases we tar them all.

I don't know why this is difficult....there are quarry in Lokpata and other places...so, stones are available. I don't know if the people in government are lazy or are bereft of ideas...

(1) (2) (3) ... (504) (505) (506) (507) (508) (509) (510) ... (697) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.