Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. (10047 Views)

Yoruba Will Not Like This (pic) / Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. / Why Yoruba Will Never Support Goodluck Jonathan In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
mschew
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by dayokanu(m): 6:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
PointB:

Why is it annoying to use Lagos? Is Lagos not a microcosm of Nigeria, judging from its cosmopolitan nature?

The earlier folks like you begin to accept that beyond, Yoruba, other non-indigenes are also stake holders in Lagos, the better for all of us.

@topic,
It is politics, who has the support base should go for it. In a free and fair election, Tinubu imposition of candidate will come crashing like a house of card. Let the game begin!

Anambra is also a microcosm of Nigeria abi is Anambra a microcosm of Ethiopia? So let A Yoruba man or hausa rule in Anambra first before we examine the Lagos case

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by dayokanu(m): 6:30pm On Jan 05, 2013
Get2go: [b][ If GEJ can win Lagos in 2011, then Non-indigenous Lagos Governor is realisable./b]

GEJ won Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Kwara, Enugu, Anambra, Plateau, Taraba etc So let non indegenes too go and rule those states

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 05, 2013
"Lagos — Lagos State House of Assembly (LSHA) has
adopted the use of Yoruba language in addition to
English in the conduct of legislative business on the
floor of the Assembly chamber as it also called on the
leadership of the House to urgently set in motion the
necessary machinery and other supportive equipment
for its implementation.

The resolution was adopted sequel to a letter written
by Dr. (Mrs.) Ohiri Anuche, an Associate Professor in
the University of Lagos urging the House to conduct
legislative business in Yoruba. This according to her,
would enhance participation of the grassroots in
governance."

http://allafrica.com/stories/200712171269.html

Thursdays legislative business in the LAHA are conducted in Yoruba and I also believe the grassroots being referred to in the article are above mostly Yorubas. Might be difficult for a non Yoruba governor to relate well with the people he would rule over.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Get2go: 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2013
dayokanu:

Anambra is also a microcosm of Nigeria abi is Anambra a microcosm of Ethiopia? So let A Yoruba man or hausa rule in Anambra first before we examine the Lagos case
everywhr should be examined, we are interested because we reside and earn living in Lagos
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Get2go: 7:20pm On Jan 05, 2013
The question is 'which party can wrestle power from indigenes'? Either LP, APGA, ANPP, CPC has de formidable force for Non- indigenous Lagos governor. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by dayokanu(m): 8:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
Get2go: everywhr should be examined, we are interested because we reside and earn living in Lagos

Charity doesnt begin in Lagos, Charity begins at Anambra. Go and start from Anambra and Lagos would consider

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 8:09pm On Jan 05, 2013
Ngwakwe: I am a proud Aba man, where anybody that live there is a stakeholder including Hausas that occupy Mosque street, Yorubas are found everywhere and almost in every company where they contribute positively including in our Churches.

Anybody can contest for any office (political or otherwise) provided he/she builds a good and convincing political base.

We sell our land to whoever has the money to develop it and consequently absolve such a person into our community in all area of life.

Furthermore, check Aba Reps in national Assembly, Counselors and LGA Chairmen and see that majority are not Ngwa people.

Rubbish. Instead of Lagos, next time use Abia or whatever you call it..

You people eat, sleep and dream Yoruba, you wish you are Yoruba, you wish God made you Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by initiator(m): 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2013
Will Y'all wish to be governed in lagos by a Brit or American? Just asking.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Get2go: 9:03pm On Jan 05, 2013
Eko Ile:

You people eat, sleep and dream Yoruba, you wish you are Yoruba, you wish God made you Yoruba.
this is what we want in nigeria. We are not asking that they give non-indigene the governor on a platter. We will work for it. IT'S POLITICS!!!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 9:20pm On Jan 05, 2013
Probably, you are not even from Lagos State.

I used my city as a case study and was polite about it, but you quoted my comment only to vomit abuse.

What is in Lagos for me to wish for or what has a Yoruba that I cannot acquire through hardwork and determination. Non of my siblings or parents have lived in Lagos.

I only come to Lagos on a business trip and back when am done.

Eko Ile:

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 10:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
Ngwakwe: Probably, you are not even from Lagos State.

I used my city as a case study and was polite about it, but you quoted my comment only to vomit abuse.

What is in Lagos for me to wish for or what has a Yoruba that I cannot acquire through hardwork and determination. Non of my siblings or parents have lived in Lagos.

So why are you so worked up ? undecided
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 10:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
Get2go: this is what we want in nigeria. We are not asking that they give non-indigene the governor on a platter. We will work for it. IT'S POLITICS!!!

Exactly so what is your argument about. Fresh party presented one Igbo woman like that and she got 53 votes or so, who's fault is that ? Yorubas or what ?

No point in history have lagosians or any yoruba stopped any ethnic group from contesting for any position in Lagos state or SW as whole.[size=18pt] So stop painting a picture of lies here as if you would be prosecuted if you contest as a non- indigene.[/size]
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 3:34am On Jan 06, 2013
@alj harem, I didn't quote you as you view may be different.

However tell South Westerners to stop selling their land to non indigenes
but if they do, let them never use uncivilized and dubious ways to deprive them their universal basic right to vote and be voted for in their own country.

My brother, I have always worked for equality since 1948 after surviving the Nazi escapade.

alj harem:

So why are you so worked up ? undecided
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 3:37am On Jan 06, 2013
Get2go: this is what we want in nigeria. We are not asking that they give non-indigene the governor on a platter. We will work for it. IT'S POLITICS!!!

No, this is what you want for ibo people because if we are really talking about Nigeria, then charity should have started at home in Abia. You lead and let us follow your spectacular example.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 3:43am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Probably, you are not even from Lagos State.

Then keep doing that and mind your own business. The people of Lagos will decide what's best for Lagos, not ibo people and their obsession with Lagos and Yoruba people.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by dayokanu(m): 3:46am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: @alj harem, I didn't quote you as you view may be different.

The land Sold is on a 100yr lease. The land still belongs to the govt
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 3:53am On Jan 06, 2013
You need to grow up and face the competition head on not by intimidation or brute force.

Always work hard to stay on top and remember Politics is also about alliance and numbers in a free and democratic country.

Eko Ile:

Then keep doing that and mind your own business. The people of Lagos will decide what's best for Lagos, not ibo people and their obsession with Lagos and Yoruba people.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 4:01am On Jan 06, 2013
What you said is not in the constitution of Nigeria that any land deed expires in 100 years nor is it written in the Certificate of Occupancy.

We are not talking about Royal Niger Delta Company.

We are all Nigerians where by law Govt own all Land.

dayokanu:

The land Sold is on a 100yr lease. The land still belongs to the govt
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 4:01am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: You need to grow up and face the competition head on not by intimidation or brute force.

Always work hard to stay on top and remember Politics is also about alliance and numbers in a free and democratic country.

Face what? We are not at war in Yoruba land especially not with some migrant workers selling spare parts in some isolated slums in Lagos and if I might add, we are not into brutality and violence, this is what they do in some areas back east where they kidnap and kill each other, where they have no respect and value for human life.

Politics is about alliance and I see how your smart alliance with the daft and dumb fisherman in aso rock is working out for you. smh...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 4:01am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: @alj harem, I didn't quote you as you view may be different.

but if they do, let them never use uncivilized and dubious ways to deprive them their universal basic right to vote and be voted for in their own country.

My brother, I have always worked for equality since 1948 after surviving the Nazi escapade.

do you think you do not have equal rights ? Are you as a lagosian deprive of any benefit the indigenes get ? Don't use Nairaland as a form of image of Lagos
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 4:11am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: What you said is not in the constitution of Nigeria that any land deed expires in 100 years nor is it written in the Certificate of Occupancy.

We are not talking about Royal Niger Delta Company.

We are all Nigerians where by law Govt own all Land.

Who is selling you land? Is this not one of the tales by moonlight you people say to each other to make yourselves feel better and important? And even if you were sold any land, your COC can be revoked anytime because the land doesn't really belong to you, it's a 99 years lease. Na government land.

Ti Oluwa Ni Ile

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 4:14am On Jan 06, 2013
That is why I said your view is different.

From what you wrote, am okay with that but Eko ile who supposed to be civilized is making it as if there is a Political Superiority Contest already going on in Lagos State which must degenerate to unhealthy competition

alj harem:

do you think you do not have equal rights ? Are you as a lagosian deprive of any benefit the indigenes get ? Don't use Nairaland as a form of image of Lagos
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 4:20am On Jan 06, 2013
Quote your reference to prove that the Land deed will be revoked in 99 years.

Eko ile can you just visit Tradestable.com to see Landed Properties display for sale in Lagos State.

Eko Ile:

Who is selling you land? Is this not one of the tales by moonlight you people say to each other to make yourselves feel better and important? And even if you were sold any land, your COC can be revoked anytime because the land doesn't really belong to you, it's a 99 years lease. Na government land.

Ti Oluwa Ni Ile
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 4:31am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Quote your reference to prove that the Land deed will be revoked in 99 years.

Eko ile can you just visit Tradestable.com to see Landed Properties display for sale in Lagos State.

This is a real estate website listing houses for sale just like any other real estate site all over the world and I don't see anything about ibo people or ibo names buying and selling houses.

Ownership in Nigeria is regulated by the Lands Use Act Cap 202 Volume 11 Laws of the Federation, 1990. The law vests ownership of all land within a state (except those vested in the Federal Government or its agent) in the Governor of the state who holds land in trust for the people and allocate same as far as the urban area is concerned, to individuals and corporate entities for residential, commercial, agricultural and other purposes allowed by law. Land located in rural areas is under the control of local government authorities.
Documentary evidence of ownership is called title deeds or title documents. Ownership of land before the Land Use Act was either by settlement, conquest, sale, gift or larches and acquiescence.

With the promulgation of the Land Use Act, ownership acquired by the above methods became extinguished and became vested in the Governor of the state. Freehold interest acquired prior to the Act became convened to leasehold, the Governor becoming the lessor. A lease granted by the Governor is usually for 99 years, subject to review upon expiration. The terms of the lease are, under the Land Use Act, contained in a Certificate of Occupancy (C of 0) granted by the Governor. The C of 0, which is the document of title provided for under the Act, grants a right of occupancy for the leasehold term stipulated therein.

http://www.paulightproperties.com/Land%20Ownership%20in%20Nigeria.pdf
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Get2go: 4:32am On Jan 06, 2013
The thread is addressing the aspirations of Nigerians residing in Lagos. I NEVER IN ANY WAY CALLED IGBOS TO DIS. Charity can begin in Abia, Anambra, Delta, niger etc, let non-indigent Nigerians fight 4 it there. Even in my Delta State.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by Ngwakwe: 5:02am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe: Quote your reference to prove that the Land deed will be revoked in 99 years.

Eko ile, thanks for the reference shaa.

However, it said reviewed and not REVOKED

With the promulgation of the Land
Use Act, ownership acquired by
the above methods became
extinguished and became vested
in the Governor of the state.
Freehold interest acquired prior to
the Act became convened to
leasehold, the Governor becoming
the lessor.

A lease granted by the
Governor is usually for 99 years,
subject to review upon expiration.
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by EkoIle1: 5:31am On Jan 06, 2013
Ngwakwe:

Eko ile, thanks for the reference shaa.

However, it said reviewed and not REVOKED

They review for a reason. If after their review a decision was reached not to renew your lease, they'll take away the lease or revoke it. Your lease is even revokable before the end of your 99 years lease if need be.

When the time come for everybody to answer their papa name, we'll claim back all our land and you are on your own. The land is not yours, na borrow borrow you borrow.

1 Like

Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by isalegan2: 5:44am On Jan 06, 2013
alj harem: It has always been non-indigenes anyway angry angry angry angry When are we going to have indigenous lagosian to rule Lagos angry

Awori prince. Go ahead and run nau. I will vote for you. cheesy grin BTW, Happy New Year!
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by dayokanu(m): 5:45am On Jan 06, 2013
Eko Ile:

They review for a reason. If after their review a decision was reached not to renew your lease, they'll take away the lease or revoke it. Your lease is even revokable before the end of your 99 years lease if need be.

When the time come for everybody to answer their papa name, we'll claim back all our land and you are on your own. The land is not yours, na borrow borrow you borrow.

Knock it into their head for the illiterates to know that the land they bought in Lagos doesnt make them Lagosians
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 6:53am On Jan 06, 2013
isale_gan2:

Awori prince. Go ahead and run nau. I will vote for you. cheesy grin BTW, Happy New Year!

No wahala my Awori princess. We shall get there grin grin grin Happy new year as well
Re: Lagos 2015: Non-Yoruba Will Be Governor. by aljharem(m): 6:55am On Jan 06, 2013
@ Ngwakwe

It's like you like to stress yourself. Is it what is written on the internet that determines your position ? LOL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Mile 2-lagos Badagry Expressway Closed For Reconstruction / DSS Arrests Moroofat Omolola Obanikoro, Releases Her Later / 5000 PDP Members Defect To APC In Kogi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.