Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,301 members, 7,815,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? (11216 Views)

Why Is Easter Always Falling On Different Dates? (picture) / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / Seun We Want A Pagan Traditionalist Mod On The Religious Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by rabzy: 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2013
truthislight:

Why not ask Aron and the Israelites that Decided for themself how to worship and celebrate("rejoys" ) ?
*sigh*

Very Good Question. People have been fed a whole lot of trash and they keep defending them shamelessly, Nobody is saying you cant celebrate whatever you want to celebrate, but don't paint it as what it is not. Easter was started by pagans, was christianized by apostate church fathers and celebrated with even with the name and symbols of the pagan goddess and someone is trying to airbrush it.

For the avoidance of doubt, Jesus and his apostles read the scriptures or part of the Bible that was available in his time...that is the whole of the old testament which constitutes 65% of the Bible. Jesus and all his apostles read that, then after his death, some of his apostles wrote more of the scriptures under inspiration, so did they not read the books they wrote themselves? or did peter just read his own books but when he sees the ones written by Paul or John he throws them away.

Jesus and his Apostles read the Bible that is a Fact

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by rabzy: 2:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
Many of us know how masquerades are carried around in our villages with all their hideous masks, canes and symbols. We totally know it is unchristian.
What if in 50 years time or after we are dead, some xtians or the whole of christendom now are carrying masquerades and whipping themselves like they do now but they renamed the festival or even retained it somewhat like in ishtar/eastar and maybe they are now using it to remember how Jesus suffered while on earth at the hands of opposers and the masks represents the temptations from the Devil or some other lame explanations.
If we were to see them doing it, we that knew that was the name and way our egungun/masquerade festivals were conducted and celebrated would you join them, or do you think Jesus Christ who knew when these things were pagan and how it was later converted be happy to accept it.

Nobody said you should celebrate eastar or the resurrection of Jesus, some people unilaterally decided to (meaning not necessary) but they now derailed totally when they picked up a pagan rite and then start using it to celebrate the Lord.

(2 Corinthians 6:14-16) 14 Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Be′li·al? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God;. . .

(2 Corinthians 6:17) 17 “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; . . .

2 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:15pm On Apr 02, 2013
truthislight:
Why not ask Aron and the Israelites that Decided for themself how to worship and celebrate("rejoys" ) ?

Brother truthislight, you see yourself angry if you know you don't have answers to my question why advise me not go beyond what is written? small request for you to confirm if rejoicing is not part what is written, you dey dodge angry now you want me to visit Aaron for the answer, you should have invited Aaron to advise me not go beyond what is written so i can ask him if rejoicing is not part of what is written angry by the way can you send Aaron an email (on my behalf) for the answer, it appears you know where to find him angry

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:30pm On Apr 02, 2013
truthislight:
What is the purpose of a checklist and a guide?

Smh for you.

The definition will tell you the purpose:

1. Guideline:
a). a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action
b). a rule or principle that provides guidance to appropriate behavior

source: the freedictionary

also: a general rule, principle, or piece of advice. source: oxford dictionaries

2. Checklist: a list of all the things you need to do or consider. source: Macmillan dictionary

guideline is advisory while checklist details a complete listing of everything that needs to be done. you are very correct to say the apostles letters serves as guide.

...and you can stop shaking your head now smiley
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:55pm On Apr 02, 2013
rabzy:
Many of us know how masquerades are carried around in our villages with all their hideous masks, canes and symbols. We totally know it is unchristian.
What if in 50 years time or after we are dead, some xtians or the whole of christendom now are carrying masquerades and whipping themselves like they do now but they renamed the festival or even retained it somewhat like in ishtar/eastar and maybe they are now using it to remember how Jesus suffered while on earth at the hands of opposers and the masks represents the temptations from the Devil or some other lame explanations.
If we were to see them doing it, we that knew that was the name and way our egungun/masquerade festivals were conducted and celebrated would you join them, or do you think Jesus Christ who knew when these things were pagan and how it was later converted be happy to accept it.

wait a minute, are you saying pagans at at point in history celebrated Jesus resurrection? if they did, you don't think that was a step in the right direction?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 3:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
Zikkyy:

1. Guideline:
a). a detailed plan or explanation to guide you in setting standards or determining a course of action

also: a general rule, principle, or piece of advice. source: oxford dictionaries

2. Checklist: a list of all the things you need to do or consider. source: Macmillan dictionary

guideline is advisory while checklist details a complete listing of everything that needs to be done. you are very correct to say the apostles letters serves as guide.

Helo Zikkyy, God's word should be our guide as you concur, in fact, Jesus on many occasions said, "for it is written...". At Mark 7:6-8 he even quoted the book of Isaiah saying, "...They worship me in vain, teaching as doctrine the commandments of men..." NET

In part, 1Thess. 5:21 says we should "Prove all things..." KJV or "Examine all things...". NET
Now, in view of all that has been said about Easter, isn't it wise & scriptural that we examine easter to be sure it is not rooted in paganism? Jesus says our worship of God will be in vain if...

What detailed plan or explanation in the scripture guides the celebration of Easter; in other words, easter is guided by which scriptural principle?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:41pm On Apr 02, 2013
Freksy:
How come you know the very one I was talking about, the one u pretended u stopped @ paragraph 1. Go & respond 2 those scriptures let see.
i stoped at d 1st paragraph doesn't mean am ignorant of your point and seriously they are not worth my time, if you claim xtians are "overstepping" then you must first show d "step" that was overstepped.
I know u'r scripture-shy, but let me still try; show me where it is written: "where there is no law there is no sin". Please don't fail me this time.
rm 5:13, 4:15 and u really dont know me.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2013
Freksy:
In part, 1Thess. 5:21 says we should "Prove all things..." KJV or "Examine all things...". NET
Now, in view of all that has been said about Easter, isn't it wise & scriptural that we examine easter to be sure it is not rooted in paganism? Jesus says our worship of God will be in vain if...

We all agree that we should examine all things, and i agree that we examine easter celebration to be sure it is not rooted in paganism. My question to you is this; have you done your investigation and found that Mr. Ube is in fact celebrating another god while pretending to be celebrating Christ?

Freksy:
What detailed plan or explanation in the scripture guides the celebration of Easter; in other words, easter is guided by which scriptural principle?

when it comes to celebrations, i don't find a list of the dos and don'ts for Christians in the bible. personally, am guided by Christ's two commandments on love. The question i will ask myself is this; if am rejoicing and celebrating Jesus resurrection, have i gone contrary to the commandment to love my God? if not then am on the right track.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 8:32pm On Apr 02, 2013
Zikkyy:

1. Guideline:

cool

smh for you.

All i can tell you is, life is involve in this things.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 9:14pm On Apr 02, 2013
Zikkyy:

We all agree that we should examine all things, and i agree that we examine easter celebration to be sure it is not rooted in paganism. My question to you is this; have you done your investigation and found that Mr. Ube is in fact celebrating another god while pretending to be celebrating Christ?

when it comes to celebrations, i don't find a list of the dos and don'ts for Christians in the bible. personally, am guided by Christ's two commandments on love. The question i will ask myself is this; if am rejoicing and celebrating Jesus resurrection, have i gone contrary to the commandment to love my God? if not then am on the right track.

"A feast to the LORD" at Ex. 32:5&6, was it not a celebration? It was "a feast to the LORD" KJV, but did the LORD accept it, would any of the celebrant said he does not love God?

It's interesting to know you've made thorough findings about Easter, that it has no pagan root. Please can you share this findings with us, knowing it's about God, thus, life is involved?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2013
truthislight:

cool

smh for you.

All i can tell you is, life is involve in this things.

Bros how u dey? It's been long!
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 9:52pm On Apr 02, 2013
Freksy:
"A feast to the LORD" at Ex. 32:5&6, was it not a celebration? It was "a feast to the LORD" KJV, but did the LORD accept it, would any of the celebrant said he does not love God?

I cannot speak for the celebrants...and Ex. 32:5&6 cannot be the basis for determining a celebration is acceptable to God. I did not tell you I was going to make a golden calf and celebrate.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 10:14pm On Apr 02, 2013
Freksy:
It's interesting to know you've made thorough findings about Easter, that it has no pagan root. Please can you share this findings with us, knowing it's about God, thus, life is involved?

You need to read the my post all over, so you understand what I was saying. I am yet to do any serious research on Easter to enable any serious discussion on its root. My post was simply stating what I would do to determine if any action I take is right or wrong. You guys came in here accusing some people of idolatry. And I asked if you have enough evidence to prove they are worshipping idols. If a celebrant says he is celebrating Jesus resurrection, you must have some proof before telling him his celebration is all a lie. Do you judge him by his actions or based on the ground that he used a name, you somehow linked to some idol. the celebrants in exodus 32 illustration were judged by their actions.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:41pm On Apr 02, 2013
Zikkyy:

I cannot speak for the celebrants...and Ex. 32:5&6 cannot be the basis for determining a celebration is acceptable to God. I did not tell you I was going to make a golden calf and celebrate.

It does not have to be a golden calf, fashioned after Egyptian gods before it has God's disapproval. Supposed it was patterned after Assyrian and Babylonian goddess of sex and fertility, and was tagged, "a feast of the resurrection of the son of God", spiced up with food, drinks and some perfunctory sacraments, would He still reject it?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:11am On Apr 03, 2013
Zikkyy:

You need to read the my post all over, so you understand what I was saying. I am yet to do any serious research on Easter to enable any serious discussion on its root. My post was simply stating what I would do to determine if any action I take is right or wrong. You guys came in here accusing some people of idolatry. And I asked if you have enough evidence to prove they are worshipping idols. If a celebrant says he is celebrating Jesus resurrection, you must have some proof before telling him his celebration is all a lie. Do you judge him by his actions or based on the ground that he used a name, you somehow linked to some idol. the celebrants in exodus 32 illustration were judged by their actions.

Zikkyy, sorry about that, i think there was an omission of the word "should" b/w "we" & "examine" in your statement that read: "..and i agree that we examine.." , so that gave me impression that you've already carried out the research.

Admittedly, I like your openness, but I'll enjoin you to carry out thorough research on it as you have said, and be open-minded while doing that. Scripturally, Idolatry is more than bowing before an image, hence the need to always examine the things we do, according to that 1Thess. 5:21 and Jesus' statement at Mark 7:6-8. Cheers!
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by truthislight: 1:32am On Apr 03, 2013
Freksy:

Bros how u dey? It's been long!

Am fine o!

How about you, hope well?
Good to see you doing the good work.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 1:51am On Apr 03, 2013
truthislight:

Am fine o!

How about you, hope well?
Good to see you doing the good work.

Am fine too.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Jimbaz7(m): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2013
Does these Bible verses make sense?
Deutoronomy 12:32 (Remember that this warning was given when God started giving out his laws)
Revelation 22:18,19 (This then is the conclusion of the laws)
Ephesus 5:10
2 Corinthians 6:14-18
Mark 7:6-8,13
Colossus 2:8
He that has ears let him hear.
It is only worship based on truth-God's word, that is acceptable to him. John 17:17

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2013
Freksy:
It does not have to be a golden calf, fashioned after Egyptian gods before it has God's disapproval. Supposed it was patterned after Assyrian and Babylonian goddess of sex and fertility, and was tagged, "a feast of the resurrection of the son of God", spiced up with food, drinks and some perfunctory sacraments, would He still reject it?

It depends on what you meant by 'patterned after'. Don't forget there are a lot of similarities between pagan worship and worship of God's people (especially before Christ). e.g. Baal worshipers offered bulls to their Gods just like the Israelite offered to the Almighty. If by pattern you meant something like group se.x for e.g., i will agree with you.

So one need to understand what is done at Easter that would make God reject such celebration. My neighbor for e.g. spent the period of lent in fasting & prayer mode and the Easter period celebration appeared normal to me. I find it difficult to reconcile such behavior as Assyrian & Babylonians se.x practiced.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 12:46pm On Apr 03, 2013
Freksy:
Zikkyy, sorry about that, i think there was an omission of the word "should" b/w "we" & "examine" in your statement that read: "..and i agree that we examine.." , so that gave me impression that you've already carried out the research.

I understand. I observed that error as well.

Freksy:
Admittedly, I like your openness, but I'll enjoin you to carry out thorough research on it as you have said, and be open-minded while doing that. Scripturally, Idolatry is more than bowing before an image, hence the need to always examine the things we do, according to that 1Thess. 5:21 and Jesus' statement at Mark 7:6-8. Cheers!

I like to confirm that i don't support idolatry, and at the same time i don't criticize for the fun of it or based on hearsay. I like the scriptural references you provided and would like to say that is also what i practice. for e.g. 1 Thess. 5:21 says as follows...

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good

This is my belief as well. and that is why i will always disagree with my JW brothers. If i assess an action as good or right then i will accept it (i.e. aligns with the commandment to love God and neighbor). it differs from the teachings (by truthislight & co) that i cannot rejoice even if it is good or right to do so angry in fact 1Thess 5:16-18 says that we should rejoice always and continue to give thanks.... angry

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Your Mark7:6.8 reference does not imply that Jesus is against tradition. The pharisees were just a bunch of pretenders. What is wrong is a tradition that nullifies God's commandment.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 7:02pm On Apr 03, 2013
Zikkyy:

It depends on what you meant by 'patterned after'. Don't forget there are a lot of similarities between pagan worship and worship of God's people (especially before Christ). e.g. Baal worshipers offered bulls to their Gods just like the Israelite offered to the Almighty. If by pattern you meant something like group se.x for e.g., i will agree with you.

So one need to understand what is done at Easter that would make God reject such celebration. My neighbor for e.g. spent the period of lent in fasting & prayer mode and the Easter period celebration appeared normal to me. I find it difficult to reconcile such behavior as Assyrian & Babylonians se.x practiced.

Hello Zikkyy, should I assume you've researched on Easter as you promised so that it'll not amount to you defending what you know little or nothing about? Recall that I asked about its history.
Supposed "a feast to the LORD" survived to our time do you know the form it would take? Other lands and religion that would later adopt it would modify same to suit their form of worship.You referring me to your neighbor and others is like me referring you to Ex. 32:4&5. If you mention calf, I'll mention Assyrian goddess. You knew it involved calf because you read wider. Why not do same regarding Easter to see if it involved Assyrian goddess. Brother, I will be interested in your findings,

Just a question: supposed you took part in making "a feast to the LORD", while others sang and danced around the calf, you did not, but ate, drank, danced on your own and made offerings, would you have been absolved?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 8:15pm On Apr 03, 2013
Freksy:
Hello Zikkyy, should I assume you've researched on Easter as you promised so that it'll not amount to you defending what you know little or nothing about? Recall that I asked about its history.

Not yet. have not gone beyond my interactions with my neighbor.

Freksy:
Supposed "a feast to the LORD" survived to our time do you know the form it would take?

It will not be different from the hundreds/thousands of pagan worship around. I hope you know that the worship was not directed at the Almighty. The calf was the god worshiped.

Freksy:
Other lands and religion that would later adopt it would modify same to suit their form of worship.

i believe the hundreds/thousands of pagan worships today has their origin from the time of Noah & his children, so its expected.

Freksy:
Why not do same regarding Easter to see if it involved Assyrian goddess. Brother, I will be interested in your findings,

Its difficult due to time constraint. would be happy to work with what you have. but if i have time by end of the week, i might do some study.

Freksy:
Just a question: supposed you took part in making "a feast to the LORD", while others sang and danced around the calf, you did not, but ate, drank, danced on your own and made offerings, would you have been absolved?

Maybe you need to rephrase your question. Not so sure i understand it.

To answer your question i would say "it depends". If my offerings, eating, drinking & dancing was directed at the calf, it makes no difference if done in isolation. but if my offerings was made to God my eating and drinking was done with God in mind, i see no relationship with what been done by others. Their "feast to the calf Lord" is definitely not the same as my "feast to the lord"
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2013
Freksy:

reading this question gives the impression that any church celebrating Easter is actually worshiping the Assyrian goddess. If my interpretation is correct, do you have evidence to prove this? I remember a poster saying he was celebrating Jesus resurrection, maybe he was not telling the truth. Kindly confirm.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 10:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
Zikkyy:

I understand. I observed that error as well.

I like to confirm that i don't support idolatry, and at the same time i don't criticize for the fun of it or based on hearsay. I like the scriptural references you provided and would like to say that is also what i practice. for e.g. 1 Thess. 5:21 says as follows...

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good

This is my belief as well. and that is why i will always disagree with my JW brothers. If i assess an action as good or right then i will accept it (i.e. aligns with the commandment to love God and neighbor). it differs from the teachings (by truthislight & co) that i cannot rejoice even if it is good or right to do so angry in fact 1Thess 5:16-18 says that we should rejoice always and continue to give thanks.... angry

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Your Mark7:6.8 reference does not imply that Jesus is against tradition. The pharisees were just a bunch of pretenders. What is wrong is a tradition that nullifies God's commandment.

Yes, everything is summarized into the love of God and neighbor. The question is, how do we show we love God, by doing what we are not commanded to, even though it seems good in our eyes. Think about God's dealings with the Isrealites and all the festivals. Which of those festivals came out of the people's originality, and had God's acceptance?

In Christian Era, think about Jesus' dealings with his disciples and all their disciple making work. Can you point to any crucial event or activity that took place out of the originality of the disciples?
A night before his death, he instituted a memorial service with them - The Lord's supper. According to Luke 22:19, Jesus commanded "...this do in remembrance of me". Scripturally speaking, this is the only celebration Christians are commanded to do. Paul and co in the first century did it too, without adulteration.

Does it appear to you that the celebration of the resurrection of Christ is something God and his son would have left to the discretion of man, if they wanted us to celebrate. Why did the Apostles not do it, they forgot? ...".For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you , That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread....this do in remembrance me." 1Cor. 11:23,24; there was no room for Easter. Paul delivered to them the way he had received.

God is a happy God, he wants us too to be happy and rejoice all the time, not waiting until a certain period of the year is reached. I have gone through your comments with truthislight and have not seen where he said you cannot rejoice, even if it is good and right to do so.

Any doctrine that lacks scriptural support is man-made.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2013
Zikkyy:

Not yet. have not gone beyond my interactions with my neighbor.

It will not be different from the hundreds/thousands of pagan worship around. I hope you know that the worship was not directed at the Almighty. The calf was the god worshiped.

i believe the hundreds/thousands of pagan worships today has their origin from the time of Noah & his children, so its expected.

Its difficult due to time constraint. would be happy to work with what you have. but if i have time by end of the week, i might do some study.

Maybe you need to rephrase your question. Not so sure i understand it.

To answer your question i would say "it depends". If my offerings, eating, drinking & dancing was directed at the calf, it makes no difference if done in isolation. but if my offerings was made to God my eating and drinking was done with God in mind, i see no relationship with what been done by others. Their "feast to the calf Lord" is definitely not the same as my "feast to the lord"

More are involved than just having God in mind. What if you have God in mind but you do what He has not told you to, wrongly thinking he will accept; or use the wrong procedure? There are cases in the bible where persons did things with God in mind, but in the end, God disapproved. God does not accept all offerings given to Him, especially if it has connection to unholy acts.
Zikkyy:

reading this question gives the impression that any church celebrating Easter is actually worshiping the Assyrian goddess. If my interpretation is correct, do you have evidence to prove this? I remember a poster saying he was celebrating Jesus resurrection, maybe he was not telling the truth. Kindly confirm.

Does Easter celebration have any connection with Assyrian goddess? That is the question you should first ask. For your evidence, turn the pages of history about Easter celebration the way you turned to other verses in Ex 32 and discovered calf worship in connection to 'a feast to Jehovah' at verses 5&6 ASV . His celebration of Jesus' resurrection was based on which scriptural precedent?
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
Freksy:
Yes, everything is summarized into the love of God and neighbor. The question is, how do we show we love God, by doing what we are not commanded to, even though it seems good in our eyes.

@bolded, There are only two commandments; the command to love God and the command to love your neighbor. There are no other commands guiding our activities as Christians. We do a lot stuff we are not commanded to. is there a command that says we should build churches/kingdom halls & headquarters? statements like the above gives the impression Christians are to live in accordance with a list of dos & don'ts just like the mosaic law. Do you think it is possible to actually list out all the possible dos & don'ts?

Freksy:
Yes, everything is summarized into the love of God and neighbor. The question is, how do we show we love God, by doing what we are not commanded to, even though it seems good in our eyes.

I have some questions for you as well; do you consider it a sin for a Christian when we ignore the command to celebrate/eat the Lord's supper? How do we implement this command if it is not telling us how often to keep this command? would i be right to keep this remembrance on a daily basis? what about the man that adopts a monthly or annual approach?

Freksy:
Think about God's dealings with the Isrealites and all the festivals. Which of those festivals came out of the people's originality, and had God's acceptance?

I think we should first ask if there was any festival originated by the people and directed at the Lord. we can then ask if God accepted such sacrifice.

Freksy:
In Christian Era, think about Jesus' dealings with his disciples and all their disciple making work. Can you point to any crucial event or activity that took place out of the originality of the disciples?

I need some clarifications here. what period are you considering? pre or post crucifixion? and when you say events, are referring to celebrations?

Freksy:
A night before his death, he instituted a memorial service with them - The Lord's supper. According to Luke 22:19, Jesus commanded "...this do in remembrance of me". Scripturally speaking, this is the only celebration Christians are commanded to do. Paul and co in the first century did it too, without adulteration.

This is the only celebration Christians are commanded to do, okay. Are you now saying it's a sin to celebrate (feast) marriages? or it is a sin to celebrate when your wife gives birth? please reply.

Freksy:
Does it appear to you that the celebration of the resurrection of Christ is something God and his son would have left to the discretion of man, if they wanted us to celebrate.

Paul told the Corinthians to rejoice always and give thanks in all circumstances. The circumstances and the events to rejoice over were not listed. If God can leave this to their discretion, why will it be difficult for him to allow man decide what to celebrate. Jesus attended parties, even though he did not command that these should be done, and he had no problem with people doing it. When he gave the story of the prodigal son, there are no indications he considered as sin, the party celebrating the return of the prodigal son. Apostle Paul & Silas were invited to the house of the Jailer in Acts 16 to celebrate the jailer's new found belief, they celebrated with him without considering the fact that there was no command for such celebrations. If God can leave the celebration of a sinner being brought to the family of believers to the discretion of man, why would it be difficult for him to allow man to decide if he want to celebrate Jesus resurrection?

My brother, my advise to you is that you celebrate the freedom you have in Christ.....and don't forget to send me an I.V wink

Freksy:
Why did the Apostles not do it, they forgot? ...

Are you saying it is now a sin to do anything we don't read the apostles doing? please confirm.

Freksy:
..".For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you , That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread....this do in remembrance me." 1Cor. 11:23,24; there was no room for Easter. Paul delivered to them the way he had received.

What Paul is talking about here is the Lord's supper. He delivered his understanding of the Lord's supper. He is not saying he delivering all that is commanded to do in the form of celebration. You need to read the chapter for better understanding.

Freksy:
God is a happy God, he wants us too to be happy and rejoice all the time, not waiting until a certain period of the year is reached.

I agree. and some people actually rejoice and celebrate all the time, but you know very few people can fund daily celebrations. That is not to say they don't rejoice over Jesus resurrection on a daily basis.

Freksy:
I have gone through your comments with truthislight and have not seen where he said you cannot rejoice, even if it is good and right to do so.

Don't mind that man jare. By telling me not to go beyond what is written, he was indirectly telling me i can only celebrate the Lord's supper. Even though he is my friend, am still not happy with him for saying i cannot celebrate a good thing angry angry

Freksy:
Any doctrine that lacks scriptural support is man-made.

A good number of the stuff we do are man-made, ...and being man made is not basis for determining a good or bad thing.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 2:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
Freksy:
Think about God's dealings with the Isrealites and all the festivals. Which of those festivals came out of the people's originality, and had God's acceptance?

Reading this again, ...and i remembered an event where Nehemiah, the priest and levites advised the people to party even when it was not commanded by law, and there is no evidence to show that God was angry.

Nehemiah 8:9-12 (NIV)
9 Then Nehemiah the governor, Ezra the priest and teacher of the Law, and the Levites who were instructing the people said to them all, “This day is holy to the LORD your God. Do not mourn or weep.” For all the people had been weeping as they listened to the words of the Law.
10 Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”
11 The Levites calmed all the people, saying, “Be still, for this is a holy day. Do not grieve.”
12 Then all the people went away to eat and drink, to send portions of food and to celebrate with great joy,
because they now understood the words that had been made known to them.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 3:09pm On Apr 04, 2013
Freksy:
More are involved than just having God in mind. What if you have God in mind but you do what He has not told you to, wrongly thinking he will accept; or use the wrong procedure? There are cases in the bible where persons did things with God in mind, but in the end, God disapproved.

There is always that possibility that one can end up doing the wrong thing. The reason one should allow the spirit to guide him/her in everything.

Freksy:
God does not accept all offerings given to Him, especially if it has connection to unholy acts.

I don't expect God to accept all offerings.

Freksy:
Does Easter celebration have any connection with Assyrian goddess? That is the question you should first ask.

I was hoping somebody will post something that addresses this.

Freksy:
His celebration of Jesus' resurrection was based on which scriptural precedent?

You do know you are attempting to write your own law here. all this while, i thought the law is written on our hearts, never knew we still have to go by the book! what's the difference between what are saying and living under the mosaic law?

if all your activities are based on scriptural precedent you have no business posting on NL, afterall Jesus & the apostles did not use the computer grin
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Freksy(m): 5:28pm On Apr 04, 2013
Zikkyy:

@bolded, There are only two commandments; the command to love God and the command to love your neighbor. There are no other commands guiding our activities as Christians. We do a lot stuff we are not commanded to. is there a command that says we should build churches/kingdom halls & headquarters? statements like the above gives the impression Christians are to live in accordance with a list of dos & don'ts just like the mosaic law. Do you think it is possible to actually list out all the possible dos & don'ts?

Sorry, I was talking about pre-Christian Era.

I have some questions for you as well; do you consider it a sin for a Christian when we ignore the command to celebrate/eat the Lord's supper? How do we implement this command if it is not telling us how often to keep this command? would i be right to keep this remembrance on a daily basis? what about the man that adopts a monthly or annual approach?

Yes, it can be a sin if you know that is what is required of you as a Christian but you deliberately refuse to do, provided your circumstances allow.
Jesus did not specifically state how often the Lord's supper was to be done. He simply said: "this do in remembrance of me." (Luke 22:19) Paul said: "For as often as ye eat this bread , and drink this cup , ye do shew the Lord’s death till he comes." (1 Cor. 11:26) "As often" need not mean many times a year; it can mean annually over a period of many years. If you commemorate an important event, such as a wedding anniversary, or if a nation commemorates an important event in its history, how often is it done? Once a year on the anniversary date. This would also be consistent with the fact that the Lord's Supper was instituted on the date of the Jewish Passover, a yearly celebration that no longer had to be kept by Jews who had become Christians.[/quote]

I think we should first ask if there was any festival originated by the people and directed at the Lord. we can then ask if God accepted such sacrifice.

Go to Ex. 32

I need some clarifications here. what period are you considering? pre or post crucifixion? and when you say events, are referring to celebrations?

Before his death and after resurrection. To be more specific, celebration that was done to God - that was connected to his worship.

This is the only celebration Christians are commanded to do, okay. Are you now saying it's a sin to celebrate (feast) marriages? or it is a sin to celebrate when your wife gives birth? please reply.

Paul told the Corinthians to rejoice always and give thanks in all circumstances. The circumstances and the events to rejoice over were not listed. If God can leave this to their discretion, why will it be difficult for him to allow man decide what to celebrate. Jesus attended parties, even though he did not command that these should be done, and he had no problem with people doing it. When he gave the story of the prodigal son, there are no indications he considered as sin, the party celebrating the return of the prodigal son. Apostle Paul & Silas were invited to the house of the Jailer in Acts 16 to celebrate the jailer's new found belief, they celebrated with him without considering the fact that there was no command for such celebrations. If God can leave the celebration of a sinner being brought to the family of believers to the discretion of man, why would it be difficult for him to allow man to decide if he want to celebrate Jesus resurrection?

The only commandment for commemoration or remembrance of Christ death. Recall that in that post, the expression, "this do in remembrance of me" was in bold. Do we attend marriage feast in remembrance of Christ's death? NO! I quoted Paul just to prove that the early Christians did just the way Christ did. They could have said, 'let bring in Christ's resurrection into this', but they did it not. The question I asked was, could it be that they forgot? Better still, were Christians then not wise enough? This celebration we are talking about is directed to God, as part of our worship. If I were talking about celebration generally, would I not contradict myself when I said God wants us to be happy and rejoice all the time?

My brother, my advise to you is that you celebrate the freedom you have in Christ.....and don't forget to send me an I.V wink
Thank you! [/quote]

Are you saying it is now a sin to do anything we don't read the apostles doing? please confirm.

I never said so, unless you failed to get the sense of what I was saying. However, if the things we do violet any bible's principle, it can be a sin.

What Paul is talking about here is the Lord's supper. He delivered his understanding of the Lord's supper. He is not saying he delivering all that is commanded to do in the form of celebration. You need to read the chapter for better understanding.
Has been addressed.

I agree. and some people actually rejoice and celebrate all the time, but you know very few people can fund daily celebrations. That is not to say they don't rejoice over Jesus resurrection on a daily basis.

Don't mind that man jare. By telling me not to go beyond what is written, he was indirectly telling me i can only celebrate the Lord's supper. Even though he is my friend, am still not happy with him for saying i cannot celebrate a good thing angry angry

A good number of the stuff we do are man-made, ...and being man made is not basis for determining a good or bad thing.
Nobody says so.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by Zikkyy(m): 7:48pm On Apr 04, 2013
Freksy:
Go to Ex. 32

Exodus 32:1 (KJV)
32 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up,
make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

The Israelite were not worshiping God through the calf; they were actually worshiping the calf.

Exodus 32:8 (KJV)
8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

Freksy:
Before his death and after resurrection. To be more specific, celebration that was done to God - that was connected to his worship.

You can forget about the era before crucifixion, the law was still in operation. you don't expect them to come up with celebrations not approved by the temple, do you? it was not their responsibility to design or create celebrations. and even after, the apostles would not consider celebrations. to answer your question - Don't know of any party originating from the apostles.

Freksy:
I quoted Paul just to prove that the early Christians did just the way Christ did. They could have said, 'let bring in Christ's resurrection into this', but they did it not. The question I asked was, could it be that they forgot? Better still, were Christians then not wise enough?

Its not a question of anybody forgetting or not being wise enough. It's not a do or die thing either. Nobody will condemn you for not doing it. It might just be how the person want to worship or probably based on the value/importance that event have on the celebrant's faith

Freksy:
This celebration we are talking about is directed to God, as part of our worship. If I were talking about celebration generally, would I not contradict myself when I said God wants us to be happy and rejoice all the time?

I don't see why you chose to make that distinction between general celebration and one directed to God. I believe same rule should apply in determining right or wrong.
Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by rabzy: 1:23am On Apr 05, 2013
God has stated in many places that he is a God exacting exclusive devotion and he would not share his glory with anyone else and the scriptures said we should quit touching the unclean thing, God abhor spiritism and anything associated with the worship of demons. Taking a pagan celebration and airbrushing it into a xtian one does not respect God, it does not make the worship exclusive to him and it means we have touched something unclean, cleaned it up and then presented it to our heavenly father.

If my son who decides to voluntarily offer me food, and where he has a choice of other sources of meals/fruits now and then i see him go to a refuse dump, picks up some discarded food items, cleans it up, cook it properly and then presents it to me. I reserve the right to reject it and i will reject it.

That is what was done with Easter, Halloween, Xmas, New Year, All saints days and a host of other 'xtian' festivals. God never Commanded us to do them. but we went ahead pick up some meal from the table of demons and then clean it up and present it to God. I strongly believe he will reject it.

The Israelites that wanted to sacrifice to God did something good and commendable, but when they brought lame and blind animals, then the offerings were no longer 'GOOD ENOUGH', so he rejected them. He asked them to present it to their Kings and see whether it will be accepted, why would anyone think God would now accept these lame xtian celebrations. What is so difficult in leaving these demon-inspired festivities.

(Galatians 4:8-11) . . .Nevertheless, when YOU did not know God, then it was that YOU slaved for those who by nature are not gods. 9 But now that YOU have come to know God, or rather now that YOU have come to be known by God, how is it that YOU are turning back again to the weak and beggarly elementary things and want to slave for them over again? 10 YOU are scrupulously observing days and months and seasons and years. 11 I fear for YOU, that somehow I have toiled to no purpose respecting YOU.

As apostle paul said, let us not return to these demonic days, and seasons and months, whatever popular celebration you are involved in make sure you are not knowingly or unknowingly giving honour to some demons who are laughing their head off and smirking.

God does not just look for good intentions alone, Ananias and sephira had good intentions, but they lied about their gifts, the early xtian church took pagan rites xtianized it or rather lied about them and then presented them to xtians as something wholesome and obligated to do. These same people once said it was wrong for a lay man like you and I to read the Bible and those who did were killed.

Because we are no longer under the law does not mean there are no guiding principles and precedents to follow in the scriptures. The three Hebrew boys, shadrach, meshach and abednego, might as well have taken the food given them by the king, rationalizing that they were just feeding themselves, but because they knew the source of the food and how pagans handle food by first presenting it to their gods, they rejected it. They did not try to 'cleanse' it by praying and telling themselves that they can't starve to death, in fact they were ready to starve to death. That is what faithful servants of God do, they don't allow anything to taint their worship.

Somebody somewhere in the above posts mentioned 'high-controlled' churches, what does he understand by Jesus statement by 'cramped and narrow is the gate leading to life'. Such a road is not broad where everything is acceptable. i will suggest its better to be on the safer side.

3 Likes

Re: Is Easter Celebration Biblical Or is it A Pagan way of Worship? by ijawkid(m): 6:43am On Apr 05, 2013
Zikkyy:

Exodus 32:1 (KJV)
32 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up,
make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.

The Israelite were not worshiping God through the calf; they were actually worshiping the calf.

Exodus 32:8 (KJV)
8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

You can forget about the era before crucifixion, the law was still in operation. you don't expect them to come up with celebrations not approved by the temple, do you? it was not their responsibility to design or create celebrations. and even after, the apostles would not consider celebrations. to answer your question - Don't know of any party originating from the apostles.

Its not a question of anybody forgetting or not being wise enough. It's not a do or die thing either. Nobody will condemn you for not doing it. It might just be how the person want to worship or probably based on the value/importance that event have on the celebrant's faith

I don't see why you chose to make that distinction between general celebration and one directed to God. I believe same rule should apply in determining right or wrong.

ok Mr support all pagan air brushed celebration let me ask you this....

would you have or would any Easter celebrant have observed the Easter celebration down till today if it was not instituted by the catholic church?....

because from all your talks iI can see that d origin means nothing to u.....

Jesus didnt set the precedent,his apostles who are part of d major foundation of Christianity didnt....

why should iI wake up one day and immerse myself in an observance that its origin is questionable..??.,

your problem is your sense of identifying whats right or wrong is totally warped....as for u anything and everything is acceptable to God....smoking marijuana,celebrating,pagan originated festivals,,(maybe even doing tattoos)..cheesy

learn and follow d steps of Jesus and other faithful servants of God and stop being part of this Satan ruled world...

iI still dont know why u dont worship Mary sef...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Benefits Of Praising The Lord / Why Are Nigerians Too Superstitious And Believe Too Much In Juju? / 2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.