Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,759 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? (29184 Views)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? / A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . / Why Are Natural Dreads Prominent Among White Garment Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism..... Get back to me when you are done reading.

Done...

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for History of atheism..... in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.
Log in or create an account to start the History of atheism..... article, alternatively use the Article Wizard, or add a request for it.

For history of A theism, go to the page I've so graciously supplied. Those are the people your brothers (and sisters) quote in your arguments about religion, reason, the opium of the masses, blah blah, remember? undecided
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 20, 2016
kilo4sure:

You are wrong about the scholars not creating things that affected the bible, Newton wrote books on theology, the book of Daniel also occupied his mind, Charles Babbage, lord kelvin and Blaise pascal were Christian apologists. Boyle was an evangelist who sponsored evangelist works, and Michael Faraday was an Elder in his church. We haven't even mentioned the Jesuits of catholic history or the monk Gregor Mendel, as well as Belgian priest George Lemaitre. To state that these men didn't also focus on religion or the bible is false.
You misunderstand me. Does Isaac Newton's Law of Gravitation disprove anything in the bible? Does Charles Babbage's invention of the computer contradict anything in the bible? I didn't say they didn't focus on religion. But I said there weren't direct conflicts. The people who discovered things that contradicted their beliefs, had doubts about religion.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by EyeHateGod: 2:56pm On Aug 20, 2016
Sometime in the 1650s, just as the Scientific Revolution was breaking into a run, several copies of an anonymous book began circulating around Europe a book filled to the brim with forceful arguments against belief in God. Theophrastus redivivus started by declaring that every great philosopher in every age has been an atheist (whether he could openly admit it or not), that all religions are fictions, and that anyone claiming to have proof of the existence of a god is lying or mentally ill. That was just on the first page. The rest was a collection of arguments against belief by writers and thinkers through the ages a kind of freethought anthology and the first book-length work of atheist thought produced in Europe. Passed secretly from hand to hand and house to house, Theophrastus touched off a century of whispered discussions and arguments about the existence of God and spawned more than 200 anonymous pamphlets, essays, and handwritten books arguing against religious belief, known collectively as the clandestina. It’s hard to really get inside the mind of a person from the 17th century,to fully grasp how different the world looked before all those later centuries happened. Atheism wasn’t just a weird minority opinion at the time. For most people, it was completely unthinkable that God didn’t exist. A 17th-century understanding of science no matter what century a person actually lives in makes it bone-crushingly obvious that an intelligent designer created the world. As a result, atheism fascinated and repelled the 17th-century mind. Some people in the period even considered atheism to be evidence of serious mental illness. And you know what? If I were alive in the 17th century, before science began to really fill in the gaps, I’d probably have to agree. Around 1700, a different breed of atheist tract appeared, one that didn’t just collect atheist opinion from the past but made new and compelling arguments for atheism and against religious belief, including some informed by the new Scientific Revolution. The ball set rolling by Theophrastus was headed straight for the Age of Reason, knocking over the pins of superstition as it went. The impact of the clandestina was huge. Many of the main arguments and ideas of the Enlightenment started in these secret, anonymous documents. After centuries of religion arguing with itself through the Reformation and several religious wars, the very idea of religious belief was finally getting a sustained challenge. But unlike those religious wars, the atheist’s main weapons, then as now, were words, arguments, and ideas.

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2016
hahn:

If not for you Christians, Africans wouldn't have been shipped as slaves. The first slave ship to ever land on African soil was named JESUS.

The Spanish inquisition, crusades, burning of wizards and witches in ancient Europe are all products of Christianity. What do you have to say about these achievements?

How did " love your neighbour as yourself " , "Do good to those that hurt you " , "help the poor " "turn the other cheek" cause these things Which of Christ teachings assent to those reprehensible acts

Do you see why I said that Christianity deplored these things while atheists assented to the killing of over 250 million people and thousands of educational institutes and businesses destroyed simply because they were owned by religious people .

In North Korea , Christians face abhorrent deaths - used by that corpulent megalomaniacal buffoon to test his military equipment . No atheist have issued his disapproval over this despicable acts but we Christians have voiced our disapproval of what those people did .

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Exactly. This point continues to elude the OP.
Oh he knows. He just wants a big argument where he answers a reply with 3 part flowing literature one part truth. Then when he's done; he can rejoice with his fellow theists over "winning another battle for the lord" gringrin. It's quite common now on NL.

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by EyeHateGod: 2:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Naijadeyhere , Richirich713 ,

Amenra1 is back . Of course you could decipher it with his idiosyncrasies - ignorant opinions on a subject , solecisms and impiety
Answer my Question Boy Am Probably here obviously Ur thread is already dead... don't be scared bro
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by EyeHateGod: 3:00pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

How did " love your neighbour as yourself " , "Do good to those that hurt you " , "help the poor " "turn the other cheek" cause these things Which of Christ teachings assent to those reprehensible acts

Do you see why I said that Christianity deplored these things while atheists assented to the killing of over 250 million people and thousands of educational institutes and businesses destroyed simply because they were owned by religious people .

In North Korea , Christians face abhorrent deaths - used by that corpulent megalomaniacal buffoon to test his military equipment . No atheist have issued his disapproval over this despicable acts but we Christians have voiced our disapproval of what those people did .
Where was Ur sky daddy when 250 million believer Where Killed??
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:01pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

No, I have nothing against you. Nothing at all grin Its just your way of reasoning that needs a little fixes. I'm not disputing the achievements of Christians. They've done a lot. But the focus of this thread is flawed. . . you see, there are no claims that 'atheism has done more'. No. Atheism doesn't have a doctrine. It has no set of rules and regulations. Atheism is just rejection of religious doctrines. As I said, most of the scholars you talked about, brought about theories that didn't affect their religious beliefs. I'm not disputing any of your facts. If you want me to bring something 'atheism' has done, I could've said space travel. Why? Because after understanding how the universe is, contrary to religious beliefs, we wee able to research more and actually make our first voyage into space. But Thats not what I'm aiming for. I want you to stop seeing atheism as a religion on its own. Its just like in the other thread, where I stopped the discussion because I was finding it difficult to get my point across to you. Anti-theists are not radical Atheists because there's no atheist doctrine. But Radical theists can be blamed because they're not actually radical, they're just following the examples set for them in their religious books

This is the third most unintelligent opinion I've ever seen in my life . Let me just stop here before I get a ban . Gosh !

Jeez bro ...

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

You misunderstand me. Does Isaac Newton's Law of Gravitation disprove anything in the bible? Does Charles Babbage's invention of the computer contradict anything in the bible? I didn't say they didn't focus on religion. But I said there weren't direct conflicts. The people who discovered things that contradicted their beliefs, had doubts about religion.

Actually, it does. The biblical theory had a stationary earth with a moving sun. The reason why Newton's theory was accepted without much noise was

1) The 1700's had a lot of rational reasonable people in it

2) Newton continually stressed the existence of a divine maker who put everything in motion and still coordinates the movement of the planet

3) The General populace then, (just like now in Nigeria, sadly) didn't really CARE about abstract scientific data. They were more intrested in politics and chess and s]lil-kesh[/s] Beethoven and err.... The like.

3 Likes

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2016
Strawman:

Galileo, Faraday and Maxwell were Christians nau, how does this relate to the topic? How does this tell us what atheists achieved in the middle ages?

modified: Wait oh! Even Copernicus, Kepler and Isaac Newton were Christians/theists sef. LOL guy behave yourself oh! Behave yourself and stay on topic!

Christianity does not support the act of decimating or attacking anybody for free thinking. Stop using the people who pervert religion to meet their own purposes to define Christianity.
christianity did...gallileo is a definite example
even ur bible says we shudnt be scientific

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by oglalasioux(m): 3:06pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lmao ... what kind of dumb stupid claims are these . There have been atheists existing from the beginining of the world and they acheived nothing and the ones who are Christians are being called atheists . grin grin

The Egyptians and the Greeks never believed in the christian god. Civilization started with them.
As for the progress of later times, your bible can give us an answer to why they are no records of the achievements of people who don't believe in a god or gods. The people who formed your religion unleashed age old genocidal murder of everyone opposed to them and their god. Do you know how many books on science the church banned or burned? Galileo's Dialogue and even Newton's Principia were nearly wiped out.

I still urge you to read James Michener's The Source.

(I suggest you make your arguments with points than insults. It doesn't tell good of an intellectual and I believe you are one)

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

1 Like

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lmao ... what kind of dumb stupid claims are these . There have been atheists existing from the beginining of the world and they acheived nothing and the ones who are Christians are being called atheists . grin grin

the fact that u re able to use ur phone to troll on nairaland is the result of the hardwork of an atheist..
I suggest u shud stop using anything that deals with computer science..
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by hahn(m): 3:07pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Beats me undecided

What about the verses inspired by his father on "killing our enemies", "keep virgins for yourself", "take loot" that are in the same bible? Does Jesus' teaching override that of his father? What part of the bible did Jesus ever speak against slavery?

Remember Jesus himself said in Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Guy, Jehovah himself, the father of Jesus, the almighty everything in your brain himself DROWNED millions of women and children and also BURNT thousands of women and children in Sodom and Gomorrah. No one can ever do worse than Jehovah/Yaweh/Allah when it comes to mass mindless destruction.

What an ignorant and bias assumption.

Are you referring to that daddy's boy with the fat cheeks and funny haircut? undecided

Let us not even go into the stupidity of that guy's rule.

Funny enough, he is a dictator just like your god is. The only difference is that you can f*cking die and leave North Korea whereas your god punishes sinners FOR ETERNITY undecided
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2016
[quote author=KingEbukasBlog post=48650729][/quote] have u heard of alan turing before?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 20, 2016
SirWere:

Actually, it does. The biblical theory had a stationary earth with a moving sun. The reason why Newton's theory was accepted without much noise was

1) The 1700's had a lot of rational reasonable people in it

2) Newton continually stressed the existence of a divine maker who put everything in motion and still coordinates the movement of the planet

3) The General populace then, (just like now in Nigeria, sadly) didn't really CARE about abstract scientific data. They were more intrested in politics and chess and s]lil-kesh[/s] Beethoven and err.... The like.
True, true, lol, but as you have shown, the theory could still be justified with a creator. . .
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by EyeHateGod: 3:12pm On Aug 20, 2016
It’s easy for a person today to forget what a mental and emotional earthquake Copernicus eventually wrought by suggesting the Earth wasn’t the center of the universe after all. All the problems explaining planetary motion went away if the sun was at the center and Earth was just another planet. But bigger problems quickly rushed in to replace them, including the need for people to eat a massive, steaming slice of humble pie, realizing they weren’t apparently as important in the scheme of things as they thought. Hearing Copernicus’s theory had to be incredibly disorienting at the time. To the human mind, Earth had been not just central but stationery see Psalm 93 if you doubt that. The universe had whirled around Earth, then overnight, Earth became part of the dance, unstuck in the fabric of space. I imagine people gazing up at the night sky and suddenly losing their balance, and possibly their dinner as well. (As a side note, after the Earth wasn’t the center of the cosmos, the whole pretext for astrology vanished overnight though news of this development has yet to reach about 100 million Americans.) Copernicus explained the motion of the planets much better than Ptolemy’s old system of orbital curlicues and planetary whirligigs. But 95 percent of his book was math with not much direct observational evidence to speak of. That made it easier for those people who wanted to keep denying that the Earth had been demoted from the Big Chair to do so. Historians estimate that for a half-century after publication, only about 15 astronomers in all Europe really accepted the idea. Others dismissed it out of hand including the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. What sense did it make for God’s children, the center of his concern, to not be in the center of his creation? Good question. In the early 1600s, Galileo brought the evidence home when he observed the phases of Venus and the moons of Jupiter through his improved telescopes and published his findings and his support for Copernicus. The Inquisition declared his conclusions unacceptable, as if declaring something unacceptable was the same as disproving it. Galileo was arrested and tried for heresy. In exchange for sparing his life, he took it all back. (Some say he then took back the taking back, under his breath but I’ll leave that one for the mythmakers.) He spent his remaining nine years of life under house arrest for getting the universe right. As late as 1820, the Catholic Church still referred to the idea that the Earth revolved around the sun as “just a hypothesis.” But Galileo’s books were removed from the Index of Forbidden Books in 1835, and Pope John Paul II vindicated Galileo . . . in 1992. (Mustn’t rush these things.) Neither Copernicus nor Galileo was an atheist, and decentering Earth by no means disproved God. But it was the first of several serious humblings for the human species. After the Earth was removed from center stage, it was easier for people to consider that religion had gotten a few other things wrong as well.
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Strawman: 3:14pm On Aug 20, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Great. Now with this same objectivity, do an appraisal of the evils that have befallen the world as a result of Christianity.

*facepalm* Still off-topic. But look at this:
KingEbukasBlog:
How did " love your neighbour as yourself " , "Do good to those that hurt you " , "help the poor " "turn the other cheek" cause these things Which of Christ teachings assent to those reprehensible acts?

Problems that people attribute to Christianity are caused by authorities who used the religion as a pretext for their evil deeds, people who misinterpreted Christianity, and Christians who did not follow principles of Christianity in causing those problems. Yes they are corrupt Christians who did all those, but their actions were not assented by Christianity itself. Those problems were caused by [bad] Christians, not Christianity.

I really hope you get my point now.

And btw, this does not still tell us what atheists achieved in the middle ages.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:15pm On Aug 20, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Why are you educating them. They are supposed to be intelligent enough to trace their root.

They say Atheism is not a religion yet they practice SELF CONCEPT which is the religion of man or belief in man. They fail to realose that SELF CONCEPT is a belief and as such is a religion.
do u knw the definition of religion at all?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:15pm On Aug 20, 2016
[size=14pt]Still waiting for the atheists to provide just 1 of them who made an achievement in 1000 years (5th - 15th century)[/size]
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by hahn(m): 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2016
AnonyNymous:

Besides, whatever Christian scientists discovered, they didn't do so using the bible or the principles guarding their religion like blind faith and arrogant assumptions. They made these achievement through experimenting, learning from mistakes, rational thinking, thinking outside of the box and everything that is good.

If they had relied on the bible, man would still have believed, even though some still do unfortunately, that the world is flat. undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by oglalasioux(m): 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2016
EyeHateGod:
Sometime in the 1650s, just as the Scientific Revolution was breaking into a run, several copies of an anonymous book began circulating around Europe a book filled to the brim with forceful arguments against belief in God. Theophrastus redivivus started by declaring that every great philosopher in every age has been an atheist (whether he could openly admit it or not), that all religions are fictions, and that anyone claiming to have proof of the existence of a god is lying or mentally ill. That was just on the first page. The rest was a collection of arguments against belief by writers and thinkers through the ages a kind of freethought anthology and the first book-length work of atheist thought produced in Europe. Passed secretly from hand to hand and house to house, Theophrastus touched off a century of whispered discussions and arguments about the existence of God and spawned more than 200 anonymous pamphlets, essays, and handwritten books arguing against religious belief, known collectively as the clandestina. It’s hard to really get inside the mind of a person from the 17th century,to fully grasp how different the world looked before all those later centuries happened. Atheism wasn’t just a weird minority opinion at the time. For most people, it was completely unthinkable that God didn’t exist. A 17th-century understanding of science no matter what century a person actually lives in makes it bone-crushingly obvious that an intelligent designer created the world. As a result, atheism fascinated and repelled the 17th-century mind. Some people in the period even considered atheism to be evidence of serious mental illness. And you know what? If I were alive in the 17th century, before science began to really fill in the gaps, I’d probably have to agree. Around 1700, a different breed of atheist tract appeared, one that didn’t just collect atheist opinion from the past but made new and compelling arguments for atheism and against religious belief, including some informed by the new Scientific Revolution. The ball set rolling by Theophrastus was headed straight for the Age of Reason, knocking over the pins of superstition as it went. The impact of the clandestina was huge. Many of the main arguments and ideas of the Enlightenment started in these secret, anonymous documents. After centuries of religion arguing with itself through the Reformation and several religious wars, the very idea of religious belief was finally getting a sustained challenge. But unlike those religious wars, the atheist’s main weapons, then as now, were words, arguments, and ideas.

Very good. Thumbs up!
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Strawman: 3:24pm On Aug 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

Please show me just one scripture for each:

1. When Christianity said we should decimate and attack free thinkers
2. When the Bible said we shouldn't be scientific.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:26pm On Aug 20, 2016
oglalasioux:

Very good. Thumbs up!

Still none of those atheists were able to make any contributions to science and technology then 2 centuries later all they could come up with was an ideology that ended the lives of 250 million people .

All Hail logic and reason !! grin

2 Likes

Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:32pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

does atheism now support what north korea does?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by DeSepiero(m): 3:34pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Do you know that the founders of modern science where the Christians and Muslims ? Do you know that the prominent achievements in science , philosophy and technology in the medieval age - 5th - 15th century - were made by religious people ?

Atheists have made so many false claims and I want them to vindicate themselves by telling us the major achievements of atheists during that era.

You wouldn't know my brother because your holy and religious ancestors would have killed them even before they mentioned or made public their achievement.
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by Weah96: 3:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Red herring

The pained atheist has scrutinized my points and seen how valid they are , instead of refuting he rushes to the internet to get bad stuff people did in the name of Christianity . [size=18pt]You are no longer a follower of Christ if you commit sin[/size]
wink

Who da fukk is a Christian?
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
Strawman:

Please show me just one scripture for each:
1. When Christianity said we should decimate and attack free thinkers 2. When the Bible said we shouldn't be scientific.
1.Deut 17..we are asked to kill persons who dont believe in christianity 2.Proverbs 3:5...we are asked not to be scientific... Kingebukasblog and co...come and see what ur god said... Hypocrites
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by kilo4sure: 3:40pm On Aug 20, 2016
raphieMontella:

the fact that u re able to use ur phone to troll on nairaland is the result of the hardwork of an atheist..
I suggest u shud stop using anything that deals with computer science..
So was Charles Babbage also an atheist? Lol.
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:41pm On Aug 20, 2016
Weah96:

Who da fukk is a Christian?

Its that the name of the atheist that made a prominent contribution to science and technology or anything for the betterment of humanity during that era undecided
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by raphieMontella: 3:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
DeSepiero:

You wouldn't know my brother because your holy and religious ancestors would have killed them even before they mentioned or made public their achievement.
thank you...he knows the truth...
They all do...
Re: What Prominent Achievements Were Made By Atheists During The Medieval Age? by DeSepiero(m): 3:42pm On Aug 20, 2016
Dear Kingebukasblog,

Did you know that Leonardo da Vinci was an atheist? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Mentally Challenged Woman Healed At RCCG Holy Ghost Congress - Autoreportng / The Unrevealed Truth Of The Antichrist / Bishop Oyedepo: 'Nigeria Not Fulani Republic'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.