Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,756 members, 7,813,506 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Best Governor Of The Year 2009 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Best Governor Of The Year 2009 (23320 Views)

Poll: Vote The Best Governor Of this Year

Barr Sullivan Chime (Enugu): 9% (15 votes)
Com. Adams Oshomole (Edo): 6% (11 votes)
Barr Babatunde Fashola (Lagos): 68% (114 votes)
Mr. Peter Obi (Anambra): 4% (7 votes)
Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi (Rivers): 7% (12 votes)
Mohammed Namadi Sambo (Kaduna): 0% (1 vote)
Gabriel Suswam (Benue): 1% (3 votes)
Ibrahim Shekarau (Kano): 1% (2 votes)
Martin Elechi (Ebonyi): 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Fashola, Mimiko, Oshiomole Or Okorocha: Who Is The Best Governor? / Perez: Rochas Okorocha Ranks Best Governor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by dogice(m): 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2009
fashola no get rival jere
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2009
tanimz:

The person dey kolo

hahaha human beings are wicked o!
Can't u see all the guy has achieved?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by foyeks2001(f): 5:33pm On Dec 09, 2009
Up Fashola
no 1 is Fashola , the rest follows
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by cashii25: 5:35pm On Dec 09, 2009
barnabasj:

The Best Governor is oyo State Governor Adebayo Alao (Ereke) Akala, Oyaaaaaaa tooooooooo Governor.

Thank you

ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   bling master oyo State Governor Adebayo Alao (Ereke) Akala will not win such a comp
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by tanimz(f): 5:37pm On Dec 09, 2009
aysometin:

hahaha human beings are wicked o!
Can't u see all the guy has achieved?

What has the guy achieved?

I dont see NOTHING in Ibadan
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 5:45pm On Dec 09, 2009
u cant just wait for money from fg. . .u gotta generate local and state revenues through taxes. .

sometimes i think these governors should travel more. . see how things are done elsewhere. .

u have local and state taxes,everywhere in america. . .

thats what states use primarilly for development,not federal handouts

thats why fashola gets my vote. . .he is growing the pie

Getting extra money depends on how many people you have who will pay taxes and VAT. That is why Lagos is getting more money. Enugu is getting its own revenue commensurate to its population and the man has done wonders with that. Chime is the best, on that basis.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Golfer: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2009
Fashola gets my vote.

Anyway this is where you can find Federal allocation to the states,  Time to start questioning the state and local governments on where the money is going. Esp the local government chairmen.

STATE
http://www.fmf.gov.ng/downloads/FAAC/CurrentFaacDetail/State_goverment_detail.pdf

LOCAL GOVERMENT
http://www.fmf.gov.ng/downloads/FAAC/CurrentFaacDetail/Local_goverment_detail.pdf
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by swezenberg(m): 5:48pm On Dec 09, 2009
Babapupa,

Why you dey argue with people who have no substantial evidence to back up their claims. I have been following your arguments and all someone could post as development for a state is a golf course. Another one said Lagos is generating more funds from tax. What stops the other states from creating their own means of generating revenues.

For me regardless of tribes, In fact my state governor is the worst this country has ever produced. I think I will give it to Fasola. For those who said he's giving the money to Tinubu, I think you need to update yourself with recent happenings between the 2 over what Fasola is doing for Lagos. And for running to the press, if you re doing badly the press will report it and if your good exceeds human imagination they will report same. I'm not surprised at those post saying all sorts about Fasola, it is what democracy has come to entertain. Should Fasola be like our dear former governor of Nasarawa who kept the money for his state because he lacked innovation?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 5:50pm On Dec 09, 2009
http://enuguppphousing.com/
Enugu awards contracts for 182 km inter local govt roads

Chime has transformed Enugu into a beautiful city, says Kano Governor

Governor Chime commissions fire fighting vehicles, bulldozers

Enugu seeks ties partnership

Jonathan impressed with Enugu’s readiness for U-17 world cup

Enugu raises bodies on privatization

Youths, a catalyst for national development, says Prof. Asogwa

Enugu launches urban taxi scheme

Enugu spends N160 million on free health care

Enugu Exco approves N91 million for motorized boreholes

NEPZA satisfied with sites for Enugu’s free trade zone

Enugu govt votes N181 million for MDGs projects, approves site for central business district

Enugu poised to host U-17 World Cup

Enugu to assist communities on development projects

Enugu govt. approves N440 million for 200 urban taxis

Yar’Adua seeks private sector partnership in tourism development

Enugu govt. awards contract for 239 housing units
Re
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by swezenberg(m): 6:08pm On Dec 09, 2009
Lagos by its population is not a state any more. It's now seen as one of the most populous cities in the world. If a man can transform that city (country) in less than 4 yrs then I give him Kudos. So many people said it is not possible to turn around dragon ridden Oshodi. To me it is still a surprise. I still remember what CMS used to look like in those days.

Has anyone seen how responsive the mobile ambulances are. I witnessed one on Third mainland bridge. This is but a few. I say things I see not what one gorvvernor wrote on paper that he did. If Fasola has not faired well I will bring him down as well.

With apologies to my brothers from Oyo state. That Akala man needs to be made the chairman of gold sellers at Idumota.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by khanye(m): 6:16pm On Dec 09, 2009
swezenberg:

Lagos by its population is not a state any more. It's now seen as one of the most populous cities in the world. If a man can transform that city (country) in less than 4 yrs then I give him Kudos. So many people said it is not possible to turn around dragon ridden Oshodi. To me it is still a surprise. I still remember what CMS used to look like in those days.

Has anyone seen how responsive the mobile ambulances are. I witnessed one on Third mainland bridge. This is but a few. I say things I see not what one gorvvernor wrote on paper that he did. If Fasola has not faired well I will bring him down as well.

With apologies to my brothers from Oyo state. That Akala man needs to be made the  chairman of gold sellers at  Idumota.

Akala is a buffon!!!! angry
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Sagamite(m): 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2009
mekusxxx:

Fasola is building stuff with half of the money, and stealing 1/4 and giving 1/4 to Tinubu.

Alleged PhD holder. grin grin grin grin grin

Professor of mor-onical facts. grin
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Mota1: 6:27pm On Dec 09, 2009
[size=13pt]Kogi State governor is the best. He deserves an award for sacking over 10,000 civil servants, non payment of pensions, non payment of salary since April, illegal screening of workers by incompetent firm and individuals[/size]
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 09, 2009
I am thrilled by Fashola,

Lagos by its population is a mega city and it'll be a mistake to be comparing it with any other states in Nigeria. Infact it deserves a special attention from the federal govt because this is the our capital city and the port of entry for anyone coming to Nigeria.

Having been away from home for 4years, currently living in one of the developed cities in the world and from the news i hear from peeps who had been home, I am thrilled by Fash.

If a government fails to develop its infrastructure i wonder how its going to achieve the said "Vision 2020" and also bring in foreign direct investment which require infrastructure to thrive.

my 2cents.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 7:09pm On Dec 09, 2009
swezenberg:

Babapupa,

Why you dey argue with people who have no substantial evidence to back up their claims. I have been following your arguments and all someone could post as development for a state is a golf course. Another one said Lagos is generating more funds from tax. What stops the other states from creating their own means of generating revenues.

For me regardless of tribes, In fact my state governor is the worst this country has ever produced. I think I will give it to Fasola. For those who said he's giving the money to Tinubu, I think you need to update yourself with recent happenings between the 2 over what Fasola is doing for Lagos. And for running to the press, if you re doing badly the press will report it and if your good exceeds human imagination they will report same. I'm not surprised at those post saying all sorts about Fasola, it is what democracy has come to entertain. Should Fasola be like our dear former governor of Nasarawa who kept the money for his state because he lacked  innovation?

Thank you and very well stated.

In my opinion, it's perfectly OK to show/display your regional pride, but at the same time you have to be sensible and realistic. Lagos is a light years ahead of other states in Nigeria in all aspects and questioning and saying otherwise is not only insanely ridiculous, it highlights a flawed sense of honesty. Just imagine, we're talking about a state administrator who is successfully managing a 20 million population state with every color and tribes from all over Nigeria coexisting peacefully and happily with almost the lowest crime rate in  the country and they're talking about some states with less than a quarter of Lagos state's population? It's absolutely ridiculous,

Even me entertaining such talks and comparing Fashola sounds like I'm insulting Fashola himself.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by danaz(m): 7:13pm On Dec 09, 2009
i have 2 list, Gov. Fashola of lagos state for infrastructural dvpt while Dr. Emmanuel Oduaghan of Delta state,Kogi state gov. and Anambra state gov. are the worst.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 09, 2009
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 09, 2009
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 7:27pm On Dec 09, 2009
Nigerians on NL should behave like people who are civilized and knowledgeable. They should stop living with sentiments but strive to work with facts. And in working with facts they should exhaust all the facts available and not hinge on one aspect of a body of facts. There is no complete COMPARATIVE rating of our governors until all the facts are looked at wholistically. For now, this is an academic exercise with no practical implication.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 7:40pm On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara:

Nigerians on NL should behave like people who are civilized and knowledgeable. They should stop living with sentiments but strive to work with facts. And in working with facts they should exhaust all the facts available and not hinge on one aspect of a body of facts. There is no complete COMPARATIVE rating of our governors until all the facts are looked at wholistically. For now, this is an academic exercise with no practical implication.

Why don't you state all the facts we haven't exhausted?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2009
^^^^^^^
Many more facts are out there, some e.gs. being relative corruption of the governors and what proportion of monies at disposal are actually put to work. Yet others will be the relative impact of the so-called development on the masses and what gave or had to give during the so-called developments. How many students are on scholarship from each of the stats govts? How many state varsities are on strike due to govtal inadequacies? How many residents have had free medical attention/how are the state clinics? How is the water and sanitation systems of each state? How is the fiscal policy of each state? How are the food production systems? There are tons of indices that needs to be put together to arrive at a scientific assessment. Meanwhile Lagos remains the poorest of all the southern states (due to its huge population).

The facts that you have are merely mentioned. They have not undergone rigorous comparative analysis with other states.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by AloyEmeka6: 7:59pm On Dec 09, 2009

• In Fashola’s Lagos, this school is worse than a pigsty. Will the governor rise to the challenge?

Wednesday, December 9, 2009
It’s a classic case of beauty and the beast. On one hand, it’s supposed to be a primary school, an institution where young, tender hearts are nurtured into graceful, virtuous citizens.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/9/sun/school[1].gif[/img]
Apostolic Primary School, Kadara, Ebute-Metta

On the other, however, the ambience is one in which those youngsters can only grow into tough, rough, anti-social urchins, taking a cue from the milieu in which they were nurtured.

Ironically, it is called Apostolic Primary School, Kadara, Ebute-Metta, Lagos. Apostolic? Nothing can be far from it. There’s absolutely nothing edifying or uplifting about this school. Right from the gate, what confronts you is decay, rot, garbage, and more decay. And when you venture in, you feel like Alice in Wonderland.

A wonderland of neglect, degeneracy and waste. Even in a failed state like Somalia or Sudan, this should not be called a school, not to talk of in Lagos, the famed Centre of Excellence, where Gov Babatunde Raji Fashola has been taking strides that have earned him applause nationwide.

In this Apostolic Primary School, when pupils saunter in for studies in the mornings, what often confronts them? Used condoms on the floor, sachets and bottles of strong drinks consumed overnight by revellers, remnants of cigarettes, Indian Hemp, and then, wait for it, faeces splattered all over the walls. Yes, this school is home for pupils in the day, and for miscreants at night.

Like attracts like. No doubt. Street urchins, known as Area Boys in local parlance, are attracted to this school, not just because of its location in a seedy neighbourhood, but because the very spectacle of the institution is a centripetal force, which draws them like ants to sugar. Blown off roofs, decayed ceilings, peeling walls, stagnant gutters, overfilled toilets sending a stink to the heavens. In fact, a pig may consider suing for slander and defamation of character, if you dare call the place a pigsty.

Ironically, this is not the first time Daily Sun is calling attention to this parody of an education institution. In our edition of February 28, 2008, on Page 17, we had drawn the attention of the state government to the sheer travesty called a school. We had written: “The school is located in an area inhabited mostly by hard-faced, homeless street urchins known more in Lagos as Area Boys. As you navigate through the Osholanke/Kadara Beach Road junction, your nose is greeted by the strong smell of marijuana from every angle.

To describe the school environment as a slum, is in truth, edifying.”

Few days after the 2008 publication, Daily Sun got the cheering news that Gov Fashola had ordered an immediate rehabilitation of the school. Joy, ecstasy, praises for a responsive governor. But today, 21 months later, it is apparent that we all rejoiced too early. Apostolic Primary School is not only in its old form, it is in a worse state. Deterioration, degradation all the way.

During a recent visit, this reporter was shocked to the marrows. The decrepit building, which served as office for the Head Teacher and other senior staffers, has given way. Crumbled. Despite the valiant efforts of the Parents/Teachers Association (PTA), what stands as classrooms are no better than caves, some with holes deep enough to provide haven for wild animals. The school, established in 1955, is no doubt, in the final gasps, the last throes of death.

Hear Mr Rasaq Onamade, a member of the PTA: “The situation is really, really bad. We don’t want the school taken away from this community, but government should do something fast. The school is surrounded by saw-millers, and children daily inhale sawdust particles. It is not good for their health. A fence should be constructed to keep miscreants away at night. We hear they even bring in females to rape. They do all sorts of abominable things. Gov Fashola should please rescue the innocent ones who school here.”

Mrs Fausat Raheem, another PTA member says twice, her child had come home, waving condoms like a trophy won in a school contest. The toddler did not know that not all that appear like balloons are truly playthings.

“The surrounding is not healthy. It is not fit for children to grow up in,” Mrs Raheem declares sadly, adding that if you venture into the place at night, “you will shed tears.” Azeez Aremu, a 12-year-old pupil says the school toilet has long been abandoned, “because it is now blocked.” He adds: “The environment is unhealthy for us.”

Who will save Apostolic Primary School? Is it Gov Fashola, or shall we look for another? But Fashola it is, because he has not been known to balk at any battle. He will win this one too.
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/dec/9/513.html
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 09, 2009
swezenberg:

With apologies to my brothers from Oyo state. That Akala man needs to be made the chairman of gold sellers at Idumota.

One of his many achievements as a governor, allow the guy o! grin grin grin
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 8:18pm On Dec 09, 2009
Clinical Sciences building at the Lagos State University College of Medicine.

Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by oge4real(f): 9:07pm On Dec 09, 2009
Fashola all the way!
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by ThinkRait: 9:19pm On Dec 09, 2009
Who is Babapuba?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by ThinkRait: 9:40pm On Dec 09, 2009
In developed climes, comparison can only be made between likes, awards are only given after detailed analysis of the reason for the award have been carried out. Honorees are so acknowledged due to evident achievements not short sighted and one sided sentiments.

Having said that, I opine that we can't regard any governor as best without going round the 36 states to see for ourselves not just the infrastructural developments, but also the human capital developments as well as value orientation and level of satisfaction of the governed.

I reside in Lagos and I must confess that Fashola is doing a great job but that does not stand me in good stead to make pronouncemenst on other governors. Some people may argue that the Nigerian press give us ample evidence that makes him the best. I have a problem with this as I dont believe every Nigerian newspaper has a correspondent in every state of the federation. Everything and everyone is in Lagos therefore whatever happens in Lagos is heard by the rest of the world.

Fashola is doing well.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nestoville(m): 10:16pm On Dec 09, 2009
Fash no doubt!!!
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 10:19pm On Dec 09, 2009
Babapupa,

Chime has the equivalent of the clinical science building (as you saw yesterday) and please always put your links if you do not have a logo to show what the photo truly represents. Thanks
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 10:21pm On Dec 09, 2009
ThinkRait:

In developed climes, comparison can only be made between likes, awards are only given after detailed analysis of the reason for the award have been carried out. Honorees are so acknowledged due to evident achievements not short sighted and one sided sentiments.

Having said that, I opine that we can't regard any governor as best without going round the 36 states to see for ourselves not just the infrastructural developments, but also the human capital developments as well as value orientation and level of satisfaction of the governed.

I reside in Lagos and I must confess that Fashola is doing a great job but that does not stand me in good stead to make pronouncemenst on other governors. Some people may argue that the Nigerian press give us ample evidence that makes him the best. I have a problem with this as I dont believe every Nigerian newspaper has a correspondent in every state of the federation. Everything and everyone is in Lagos therefore whatever happens in Lagos is heard by the rest of the world.

Fashola is doing well.

Thanks. That is the point that naive and gullible Nigerians fail to understand. No wonder our leaders decieve us very easily.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2009
Has any analytical comparison being made? No. So what and whom are you comparing? Fasola is being compared against Fasola. Hahahahahah!
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by bolanleodu: 10:26pm On Dec 09, 2009
I watched closely and noticed that no one challenged Nchara's wrong and nonsensical assumption that Lagos state recieves Value Added Tax VAT. It fall along side items like custom and excise duties, post, telegraph and telephones, stamp duties etc which are under the exclusive legislative list of the part1, 2nd schedule 1999 constitution. Its a federal tax and it determined and colleted by the FGN not states. Even stamp duties tax shared among states is first collected by the FG. It is just plain ignorance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Obasanjo: I Became Nigerian President By Accident / Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri Market / Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.