Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Best Governor Of The Year 2009 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Best Governor Of The Year 2009 (23321 Views)

Poll: Vote The Best Governor Of this Year

Barr Sullivan Chime (Enugu): 9% (15 votes)
Com. Adams Oshomole (Edo): 6% (11 votes)
Barr Babatunde Fashola (Lagos): 68% (114 votes)
Mr. Peter Obi (Anambra): 4% (7 votes)
Mr. Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi (Rivers): 7% (12 votes)
Mohammed Namadi Sambo (Kaduna): 0% (1 vote)
Gabriel Suswam (Benue): 1% (3 votes)
Ibrahim Shekarau (Kano): 1% (2 votes)
Martin Elechi (Ebonyi): 0% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Imoke Wins Best Governor Award / Fashola, Mimiko, Oshiomole Or Okorocha: Who Is The Best Governor? / Perez: Rochas Okorocha Ranks Best Governor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nobody: 10:29pm On Dec 09, 2009
Apostolic Primary School, Kadara, Ebute-Metta

about time the govt returned all these mission schools to their respective organizations.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 10:40pm On Dec 09, 2009
tpia.:

about time the govt returned all these mission schools to their respective organizations.

What do u mean by return it . . .?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by bolanleodu: 10:41pm On Dec 09, 2009
, It is just plain ignorance for anybody to state such nonsense. Some that claim to be detribalised are really and truely not they'd rather be stupendiously iconoclastic. I laugh a lot when i come here but the thing is, the answer to the question in this thread is in Lagos and its Governance. Fashola is truely the best serving Governor no matter what some bad belle people say or think, Simple.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2009
bolanleodu:

, It is just plain ignorance for anybody to state such nonsense. Some that claim to be detribalised are really and truely not they'd rather be stupendiously iconoclastic. I laugh a lot when i come here but the thing is, the answer to the question in this thread is in Lagos and its Governance. Fashola is truely the best serving Governor no matter what some bad belle people say or think, Simple.

I do admit that Fashola has been great.
However, i am yet to read about other states, not cos they are not doing anything, but probably cos they are not enjoying the publicity being enjoyed by Lagos, cos Lagos is like no other states.
But like i said, Fashola has done well.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 10:52pm On Dec 09, 2009
bolanleodu:

I watched closely and noticed that no one challenged Nchara's wrong and nonsensical assumption that Lagos state recieves Value Added Tax VAT. It fall along side items like custom and excise duties, post, telegraph and telephones, stamp duties etc which are under the exclusive legislative list of the part1, 2nd schedule 1999 constitution. Its a federal tax and it determined and colleted by the FGN not states. Even stamp duties tax shared among states is first collected by the FG. It is just plain ignorance.

VAT money is shared among the states and Lagos gets the biggest chunk. Nobody argued that because it is the fact. You are so, so ignorant. Go and cure your ignorance and then come back to tell me who is lying between both of us. Do you think you are dealing with kids here?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Godwithmen: 10:53pm On Dec 09, 2009
The best is the amiable Gov Peter obi of Anambra state, reasons;
he is the best manager of Anambra state money since creation,
he is humble,
he has principle,
he does everything to retain his integrity,
His emergence in Nigeria polity introduced removal of a governor as he was the 1st when he unseated Ngige and regained his mandate after three years,
He is the only man that has slapped PDP good three time, 1st they pdp stole the mandate Anambra pple gave in 2003 and he fought as a man until he regained it in 2006. 2nd the gang of pdp s in the Anambra state house of assembly illegally impeached him and he slapped them on the face and went back to his seat as Gov, 3rd he gave the party the worst slap of their life when he kick Andy Uba out of office after less than 2 weeks he served as gov, 4th as far as he is concerned they fail again when they thought that its every body that goes to court wins, so Andy Uba lost the case even as Obi settles, wins 2010, serves till  2014 ,
infact, the history of this nation cant be written without his name at the fore front as one of the heroes of our time, Thank God for giving Mr Peter obi to Anambra state Amen.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 10:53pm On Dec 09, 2009
No need for the name calling, let us have fun sharing thoughts
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 10:54pm On Dec 09, 2009
Godwithmen:

he is humble,
he has principle,
His emergence in Nigeria polity introduced removal of a governor as he was the 1st when he unseated Ngige and regained his mandate after three years,
He is the only man that has slapped PDP good three time, 1st they pdp stole the mandate Anambra pple gave in 2003 and he fought as a man until he regained it in 2006. 2nd the gang of pdp s in the Anambra state house of assembly illegally impeached him and he slapped them on the face and went back to his seat as Gov, 3rd he gave the party the worst slap of their life when he kick Andy Uba out of office after less than 2 weeks he served as gov, 4th as far as he is concerned they fail again when they thought that its every body that goes to court wins, so Andy Uba lost the case even as Obi settles, wins 2010, serves till  2014 ,
infact, the history of this nation cant be written without his name at the fore front as one of the heroes of our time, Thank God for giving Mr Peter obi to Anambra state Amen.

Great reasons, but how has the ordinary Anambra indigene gain from all these ?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Asha36: 10:58pm On Dec 09, 2009
Omo u are right,what of fashola of lagos. He is d best in afrca
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 10:59pm On Dec 09, 2009
Asha36:

Omo u are right,what of fashola of lagos. He is d best in afrca

Now i think this is being over blown.
How can someone be the best in Africa and we are yet to even know the leaders of other states in Nigeria not to talk of other nations. . . . Alhaji, small small oh
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by AloyEmeka6: 11:01pm On Dec 09, 2009
Godwithmen:

he is humble,
he has principle,

Being humble and principled do not govern a state. Also, what integrity are you talking about? The one that went through the window when the 25oM scandal ensued. has he returned your N250M before talking about his integrity?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 11:02pm On Dec 09, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Being humble and principled do not govern a state. Also, what integrity are you talking about? The one that went through the window when the 25oM scandal ensued. has he returned your N250M before talking about his integrity?

Full Gbammmmm
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by vicade(m): 11:03pm On Dec 09, 2009
Babatunde Raji Fashola
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by bolanleodu: 11:06pm On Dec 09, 2009
@ femmy, I partly agree with you but the thing is i doubt if there is any state without state TV stations. The thing is when something big is happening we tend to hear it. When some white zimbabwean farmers came to kwara state, we all heard, Fayose's poultry before it became fraud, we all heard, Donald Duke's Tinapa, we all heard, its a case of RES IPSA LOCQUITOR,
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by paddylo1(m): 11:18pm On Dec 09, 2009
VAT money is shared among the states and Lagos gets the biggest chunk. Nobody argued that because it is the fact. You are so, so ignorant. Go and cure your ignorance and then come back to tell me who is lying between both of us. Do you think you are dealing with kids here?

how do u know lagos gets the biggest chunk?. . .for your info lagos gets only about 6bln or so from the feds each month. . .at least for yr 2009
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by bolanleodu: 11:23pm On Dec 09, 2009
Without apologies i'll say you foolishness knows no bound, and the audacity of your ignorance is scary, am the learned man cun tax administrator thats very sorry for you. You earlier mentioned that Lagos state collects VAT, you are wrong admit it and as for the sharing, you know nothing about Nigeria's absurd type of Fiscal Federalism. As 4rm now hence 4th i refuse 2 giv cognisance to ur unlimited expression of follies.@ paddy lo, that guy says a lot of rubbish, i wonder if attends NEC meeting or he shar it
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by AloyEmeka6: 11:24pm On Dec 09, 2009
paddy_lo:

how do u know lagos gets the biggest chunk?. . .for your info lagos gets only about 6bln or so from the feds each month. . .at least for yr 2009

have you heard of internal revenue? . Do you know how much the state generates how much from all the shops and businesses in every corner of the state. You may be wondering why Fashola closed the computer village sometime ago. Its because of the lapse in his internal revenue.  Same way Imo collects money as a Niger Delta state but anambra is richer because of internal revenue from Onitsha.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 11:25pm On Dec 09, 2009
paddy_lo:

It is common knowledge that of the states Lagos gets the biggesst chunk of the VAT. Do we have kindergarten kids here who have no knowledge of how things work in Nigeria? Gosh!!
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 11:29pm On Dec 09, 2009
bolanleodu:

Without apologies i'll say you foolishness knows no bound, and the audacity of your ignorance is scary, am the learned man cun tax administrator thats very sorry for you. You earlier mentioned that Lagos state collects VAT, you are wrong admit it and as for the sharing, you know nothing about Nigeria's absurd type of Fiscal Federalism. As 4rm now hence 4th i refuse 2 giv cognisance to your unlimited expression of follies.@ paddy lo, that guy says a lot of rubbish, i wonder if attends NEC meeting or he shar it

Olodo rabata. You are one of the ignoramuses that have kept Nigeria moribund. Now pack you load and get outta nairaland before you infect others with your ignorance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leadership (Abuja)

Nigeria: FG, States, LGs Share N250 Billion Revenue
Justus Nduwugwe
16 March 2009

Email|Print|Comment
Share:
Abuja — The federal, state and local governments over the week shared the sum of N250.04 billion revenue from the federation account for the month of February, 2009.

A statement issued yesterday by the Special Assistant (Communications) to the Ministe of State for Finance, Mr. Oluyinka Akintunde, stated that the distribution was approved by the Federation Account Allocation Committee in a meeting held in Makurdi, Benue State, and chaired by the minister, Mr. Remi Babalola.

The statement added that the minister disclosed that the amount distributed was made up of Statutory Allocation of N215.86 billion and five per cent Value Added Tax of N34.18 billion.

Meanwhile, the National Council on Finance and Economic Development (NACOFED) has charged the Federal Government to eliminate inefficiencies, corruption, leakages and rent-seeking activities, especially in the downstream petroleum sector.

This was the highpoint of the resolutions agreed on by members of the NACOFED at the end of a two-day annual conference of the council in Makurdi.

It would be recalled that the three tiers of government had, in the preceding month, shared N285.58 billion, made up of Statutory Allocation of N241.33 billion and VAT of N44.25 billion.

Mr. Babalola was quoted as saying, "The total amount declared and recommended for distribution is N250.04 billion in addition to the sum of $1.5 billion. The $1.5 billion was proposed for distribution from the Foreign Excess Crude Savings Account to all tiers of government."

The National Economic Council had, on March 10, 2009, approved that the sum of $1.5 billion be shared among the federal, state and local governments from the excess crude account.

The release of the money is aimed at cushioning the effects of the slide recorded in the federal allocations in January and February, this year.

Also speaking at the news conference, the Accountant-General of the Federation, Alhaji Ibrahim Dankwambo, disclosed the $1.5 billion excess crude would be shared in its naira equivalent.

Dankwambo explained, "No matter how much is shared from the Federation Account, it is based on a sharing formula. For the $1.5 billion from the foreign excess crude, the Federal Government will get 52.68 per cent; states, 26.72 per cent; and Local Government Councils, 20.6 per cent. We also have 13 per cent set aside for the oil-producing areas."

He attributed the deficit of N35.54 billion in the revenue allocation to the three tiers of government, when compared with revenue shared in January 2009, to the decline in crude oil prices in the international market and the reduction in production quota of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, a body which Nigeria belongs to.

According to him, Nigeria 's production quota was cut back to 1,673,000 barrels per day (bpd) in January 2009 from 2,050,000 bpd in December 2008.

"In addition, there was also a complete shut-down of Tebidaba Flow Station and subsequent loss of about 30,000 bpd as a result of another attack by militants," he added.

A statement signed by the AGF revealed that N2.77 billion and N1.51 billion were paid to the Federal Inland Revenue Service and Nigeria Customs Service respectively, being four and seven per cent cost of collection.

Out of the statutory allocation of N215.86 billion, the Federal Government received N102.53 billion (about 52.68 per cent), a decline of N12.15 billion when compared with the N114.68 billion it received in the preceding month.

The 36 state governments got N52 billion (about 26.72 per cent) from statutory allocation, a drop of N6.17 billion as against the previous month's receipt of N58.17 billion, while the 774 local government councils were allocated N40.09 billion.

The 13 per cent derivation accounted for the balance of N21.24 billion and was re-distributed among the nine oil-producing states of Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta, Edo, Imo, Ondo and Rivers.

Relevant Links
West Africa
Nigeria
Business
The states received the lion's share of the VAT, amounting to N17.09 billion (about 50 per cent), a decrease of N5.03 billion when compared with the preceding month's level of N22.12 billion.

The states were closely followed by the local government councils, which received N11.96 billion (about 35 per cent), while the Federal Government's VAT amounted to N5.13 billion.

The closed-door meeting was attended by Alhaji Dankwambo, states' commissioners for finance and accountants-general, representatives of the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission, Central Bank of Nigeria, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Inland Revenue Service, Departments of Petroleum Resources and the Debt Management Office.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 11:31pm On Dec 09, 2009
Let me also show you that Lagos gets the largest of the VAT money of all the states, which is actually cool since a good % of the VAT money comes from Lagos, just like the oil-producing states get a bit more than others from the oil revenue.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by PapaBrowne(m): 11:36pm On Dec 09, 2009
There is no doubt that Fashola is doing a marvelous job. There is very noticeable change in many parts of Lagos.
However, Lagos is fortunate to be the headquarters of the Nigerian press so Fashola's works would naturally enjoy immense visibility.

Other state Governors that are probably performing might not have the advantage of the media, hence it would be hard to judge them in comparison to Fashola.
One thing I must admit though, the present crop of Governors are performing way better than their predecessors.

Governors I think are performing: Fashola of Lagos, Amaechi of Rivers, Uduaghan of Delta, Chime of Enugu.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Fhemmmy: 11:43pm On Dec 09, 2009
PapaBrowne:

There is no doubt that Fashola is doing a marvelous job. There is very noticeable change in many parts of Lagos.
However, Lagos is fortunate to be the headquarters of the Nigerian press so Fashola's works would naturally enjoy immense visibility.

Other state Governors that are probably performing might not have the advantage of the media, hence it would be hard to judge them in comparison to Fashola.
One thing I must admit though, the present crop of Governors are performing way better than their predecessors.

Governors I think are performing: Fashola of Lagos, Amaechi of Rivers, Uduaghan of Delta, Chime of Enugu.

Wonderful said.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by paddylo1(m): 12:46am On Dec 10, 2009
have you heard of internal revenue? . Do you know how much the state generates how much from all the shops and businesses in every corner of the state. You may be wondering why Fashola closed the computer village sometime ago. Its because of the lapse in his internal revenue.  Same way Imo collects money as a Niger Delta state but anambra is richer because of internal revenue from Onitsha.

who is arguing internal revenues with u?. . .i am talking money or allocation from the feds. . .

as for internal revenue,it just doesnt fall on your laps,u have to have an enforcement mechanism in the state to make people pay state income tax

Olodo rabata. You are one of the ignoramuses that have kept Nigeria moribund. Now pack you load and get outta nairaland before you infect others with your
ignorance.

u are the one sounding ignorant,nowhere in that long article u posted does it say lagos state has the largest allocation from vat

and the federal govt is the one the vat goes to. . .not the state govt,so i dont know what your point here is
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 12:56am On Dec 10, 2009
^^^^^ (Paddy_lo)
Bufoon: Did you or did you not read in that article that VAT money is shared among the states? That was the first argument; the second being how it is actually shared. I am getting info on the way it is shared to prove that Lagos gets the highest among the states. Just hang on ok?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by paddylo1(m): 1:13am On Dec 10, 2009
^^^^^ (Paddy_lo)
Bufoon: Did you or did you not read in that article that VAT money is shared among the states? That was the first argument; the second being how it is actually shared. I am getting info on the way it is shared to prove that Lagos gets the highest among the states. Just hang on ok?

for the umpteenth time i have always known that vat is shared among states. . .i was never arguing the fact

as for your second point,i await your proof
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 1:21am On Dec 10, 2009
Funny how some folks here talk about how some states are not getting media attention like Lagos state, the fact is, these states are not buried underground or in caves. Who are you fooling? Knowing you guys, if you have something from your states to put up against Lagos, na rub you for don rub am for everybody's face. The only reason you are not rubbing anything is because there's nothing to rub.

Everything states do in terms of development and achievements is documented on their websites and you don't need the press to publicize roads and bridges  people walk and drive on everyday, schools that kids attend everyday. Lagosians don't need the press to tell them who effected the beautiful parks in lagos, the new roads with sidewalks, the new bridges, the beautiful and green environment, BRT and Lag buses, the new taxis, new freeways and construction boom including the 1st 10 lane freeway with BRT and and light rail system Africa and a well oiled professional administration. The media nonsense has got to be the silliest crap ever.

If you and your people are not seeing and talking about developments in your states, it simply means there's nothing on the ground to show or talk about, nothing for the media to report on, nothing. It's as if developments in other states are buried under ground and they need the media to go unearth them for the outside world to see and residents to discover. Please stop insulting people's intelligence and go look for some other yeye excuse.

After talking and talking about cross rivers, Aloy Emeka end up posting some ridiculous stuff about the states achievements from the states website, It read, Initiates, pay teachers salaries, elect council of elders, elect economic council, relocate, rehabilitate, Abeg give me a break.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by BabaO2: 1:44am On Dec 10, 2009

Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009
« #42 on: Yesterday at 01:48:31 AM »

Quote from: babapupa on Yesterday at 01:45:23 AM
Just look at real professional and visionary administrators.

I watch this video and can't help but wonder if other states in the country go ever catch up. Makes other state leaders look like kindergarten administrators,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSE1i08dbtE

Lagos receives more revenue than all these states you are comparing them with. What Rivers can easily afford for example, Jigawa will have to save for 5 years before they can afford it. Measure the state's economic indexes before making comparisons.

@ emeka, i am really disappointed at your comments, i have been watching your comments for quite a while, you are a tribalist and i dont think the likes of you will ever grow.
Can you tell us, what kind of revenue Lagos is receiving that is more than other states in the south  eastern region? or if it is by population wise. The federal government of Nigeria declared Kano state to be ahead of Lagos state. i think by your assumption, kano state should be dictating the pace if they have what it takes to govern.
If you dont appreciate good things, you can never be good or may be you dont know the difference because of your poor background.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by Nchara: 1:52am On Dec 10, 2009
paddy_lo:

for the umpteenth time i have always known that vat is shared among states. . .i was never arguing the fact

as for your second point,i await your proof

I was not even responding to you unless you are the same person as BolanleOdu who argued that VAT money is never shared among states. I am stilll on the Lag thing.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by prudentcy(m): 2:02am On Dec 10, 2009
I give it 2 Fashola, cos is exceptional.
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by kcibe: 3:23am On Dec 10, 2009
some pple talk or revenue being higher in some states why some gets less:this does not matter to some extend cos we have seen so many that receive so much and could not do anything with it for the public.i saw tax payers money in action when i visited lagos.please no debate;;;;;;;;;;;;;;FASHOLA and nobody
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by tanimz(f): 3:27am On Dec 10, 2009
kcibe:

some pple talk or revenue being higher in some states why some gets less:this does not matter to some extend cos we have seen so many that receive so much and could not do anything with it for the public.i saw tax  payers money in action when i visited lagos.please no debate;;;;;;;;;;;;;;FASHOLA  and nobody

Its such a shame that with all the revenues and taxes of Rivers State nothing can be shown for it.

Cant Amaechi see what Fashola is doing and follow suit or even do better?
Re: Best Governor Of The Year 2009 by babapupa: 3:50am On Dec 10, 2009
Baba_O:

@ emeka, i am really disappointed at your comments, i have been watching your comments for quite a while, you are a tribalist and i dont think the likes of you will ever grow.
Can you tell us, what kind of revenue Lagos is receiving that is more than other states in the south  eastern region? or if it is by population wise. The federal government of Nigeria declared Kano state to be ahead of Lagos state. i think by your assumption, kano state should be dictating the pace if they have what it takes to govern.
If you dont appreciate good things, you can never be good or may be you dont know the difference because of your poor background.

Don't mind the dude, hating and bad bele is his state of mind and I don't see him changing anytime soon.

Every time he looks at his wretched village, he lashes out at Lagos,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Obasanjo: I Became Nigerian President By Accident / Bomb Blast Rocks Maiduguri Market / Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.