Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,076 members, 7,814,737 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Nigerian + American = Undateable? - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian + American = Undateable? (13253 Views)

9 Characters That Makes Some Nigerian Girls Undateable / The Undateable Lady. / Nigerian Parents And Dating As A Nigerian-american (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 9:23pm On Jun 23, 2011
^^^I think adconline's point is for shyone not to use majority,( she has not met every single African in America) assumptions are made but it does not mean all the assumptions are negative.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 9:27pm On Jun 23, 2011
kandiikane:

^^^I think adconline's point is for shyone not to use majority,( she has not met every single African in America) assumptions are made but it does not mean all the assumptions are negative.

I agree with you. That's why I said I know/met Africans who do not think LIKE WHAT SHYONE is saying and there are SOME that do.

I inserted that all Africans do not think alike neither does all Black Americans. One African man may think that Black American women are sneaky but another African man may think that they are hard working.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by delicious1(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2011
Hmm.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by adconline(m): 10:17pm On Jun 23, 2011
I know you was talking to Shyone but there are people who travels outside of their country to to other countries and still have negative views of the country. Just like SOME Africans come over to America and still harbors the preconceived view of what America is about. We all have assumptions and opinions about EVERYTHING.

I have met/know African people who do not share the same views as Africans on this site as well as Africans who do share the same views. The same for Black Americans, some believes that Africans are their relatives and some believes they aren't. If all Africans thought alike there wouldn't be any civil wars amongst Africans and violence amongst Black Americans.

Yes, it's hard explaining to Nigerians that a Nigerian living in the US can be broke as hell let alone telling them that AAs are this and that. When you talk about AAs, Nigerians have more positive images of successful AAs like Oprah,50cents, Jay-Z than folks who are struggling in the hood. Folks in the hood hardly get any prime time spot on TV in Naija. Most Nigerians form their opinions based on what they see on tv---Minus wars, positive images of US dominate most Naija airwaves.Unlike in the US, where negative images of Africa dominate their airwaves. Going by the above stated scenarios, A Nigerian is more inclined to have a more positive image of an American including AA than an American would have of a Nigerian without any travel. Nigeria is one the countries that has a high favorable view of the US, while reserve is not the case.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by adconline(m): 10:27pm On Jun 23, 2011
I think adconline's point is for shyone not to use majority,( she has not met every single African in America) assumptions are made but it does not mean all the assumptions are negative.

I'm not trying to discountenance her experiences, which are btw subjective and miniscule. I'm just trying to say that Africans have more image deficits than AAs and more likely to be stereotyped by Americans including AAs. Stereotypes are always alive!
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 10:38pm On Jun 23, 2011
adconline:

I think adconline's point is for shyone not to use majority,( she has not met every single African in America) assumptions are made but it does not mean all the assumptions are negative.

I'm not trying to discountenance  her experiences, which are btw subjective and miniscule. I'm just trying to say that Africans have more image deficits than AAs and more likely to be stereotyped by Americans including AAs. Stereotypes are always alive! 

I have traveled to several African countries for many different reasons.  I have seen bad and good in all the countries I have traveled however my views are purely based on physical and not hearsay. 

I also see your point what you are saying about Americans having stereotypes that are negative but I also want to insert that Asians are worst when it come to their views on Africans as well as Black Americans.

I will not get into the subject concerning Arabs view on African countries.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 12:17am On Jun 24, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

You can have him.    wink

No one said that you wanted to be American. (America thanks you)  Do you have ADHD?  You are all over the place and obviously frustrated.  Just take deep breaths and keep looking someone will take pity on you. 

You said you was in America (curling lips) right?  According to you, America has no culture so that means you and your brothers in America have no culture either.

As for black role models, are you saying President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama are asians?   shocked shocked shocked 

As for rappers, Nigerian youth LOVES and imitates them.  Many of the girls that looks like you trying to look like Beyonce.  The largest consumers of rap music in North America are (drum roll)  Oyinbos!   grin

Now internationally, high percentage of Asian countries, African countries, and Europe. grin

And maybe that is why the crime rate is increasing in nigeria because every body wants to be a street thug.Lil Wayne,DMX and the other street thugs rappers are not reliable models for young blacks but since we look up to them this can explain why our black communties are messed up both in the african community and the black american community.Funny thing is that many blacks consider Obama as an uncle tom because he"s educated but then he"s good enough role model for we africans.But hey as long as we blacks look at 50cents,Lil Wayne and the others as our role models we would always be messed up.Look at the way Hip hop has affected your AA youths with the result that many now have an anti social attitude with many of them skipping school and getting involved in gangs.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 12:42am On Jun 24, 2011
adconline:

I'm not trying to discountenance her experiences, which are btw subjective and miniscule. I'm just trying to say that Africans have more image deficits than AAs and more likely to be stereotyped by Americans including AAs. Stereotypes are always alive!
Americans(both white and AA alike)have a negative view of non americans.They regard the mexicans as a group of subhumans who sell oranges and eat taco all day while they regard africans as apes and bootyscratchers.I recall sometime ago there was this female black american standup comedian who made a joke about starving african kids in the sudan and was saying something about the UN sending them some bunch of bananas and her audience laughing hard over the joke.In some schools the AA students make fun of very dark skinned african students and in this could explain why many africans over here tend to make up fake american accents and pass off themselves as black americans in order not to be taunted.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by tpia5: 1:08am On Jun 24, 2011
Its actually not that easy for an african to pass him or herself off as AA, accent or no accent.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 1:16am On Jun 24, 2011
Tpia some do it.All it needs do is buy a pair of baggy jeans with baggy T shirt and act with an AA swag if you know what i mean.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 1:23am On Jun 24, 2011
ahahahahaha - lolololololol - @ Chima and Tom 28 - you guysssss - lololololololololol = caught me off guard a bit

OK @ adconline

It is interesting and maybe I didn't take the necessary time to word my statements so you or KK could understand well enough.  I stand by the effort I made to describe to you the reactions that I, family members, neighbors, coworkers, college students (I supervised 29 undergraduate students at UW Madison - Grainger Hall School of Business), etccc - toooo many more to keep listing---who, what and where.  Trust me - this isn't my personal thoughts or beliefs - these are what I see everyday in my face on sooo many different levels.    

When I stated what I stated - it was a collective thought I have observed over the years that a LARGE MAJORITY of Africans and African Americans "how MANY of them view each other."  My statements weren't for a miniscule few.  This is in the U.S.  

I find that since I stated what I stated - I am "under attack" as though - my statements were "how I feel about Africans."  If I felt that way about Africans - I wouldn't waste my time "dating one."  I responded to a thread.  The Africans and AA's that I see who feel this way are the "30's and up group."  Which is definitely true here in the U.S.  Do all of them feel that way?  Of course not, but a large majority definitely do.

I have lived in 16 States in the U.S. and have dealt quite heavily with many groups of Africans over some years.  Because I deal with quite a few Africans - I have also been privy to how many AA's see Africans because I am approached by many AA's questioning me about Africans that they either see me with, are aware of my dealings with them and I receive comments and conversations about Africans from AA's.  So I do indeed here the negatives and the positives as this is my area.

Being Black in America - Both Africans and AA's suffer from issues of "self image" that is quite low.  I see that as well.

NL writers should many times "just read" - before hurling themselves into threads on the attack.  If a reporter reports the news - first check its validity before slandering the reporter for printing what everyone else sees and knows but just won't say.  I lived in Eagle Heights which is predominantly foreigners on campus at UW-Madison. UW-Madison has in excess of 40,000 students attending its University. NL's - writer named Fstranger can attest to just how F'd up Wisconsin's stance is to anything black and he can attest to his experience in America and how the groups view each other. This isn't just Shy-one's opinion - this is my observation. I am going to hold that it is definitely the MAJORITY popular opinions.

I can safely say that I have spent quite a bit of time in several states observing how Africans and AA's (a large %) of them interact here in the U.S. and the views they hold about each other.  A great deal of what I have said IS VERY TRUE.  How they interact in Nigeria, I don't know because I am not in Nigeria, How they interact outside of the U.S, I know not that either.

I am speaking from what I have seen for many years here in the States.  I do know that those who are second and third generation Africans aren't as rigid as their parents but what I say definitely holds true for the older generations.  I have many AA friends who won't deal with an African on any level especially those who have lived in large cities.  I actually had to turn my back on 2 male friends of mine that had a real problem with me dealing with Africans.  And those friends didn't bite their tongue at all, some of the words that they said were very forceful and negative and they upbraided me for spending anytime with an African.  One of those friends is a retired Chicago Police Officer and the other works for the City of Madison Wisconsin in Administration.

So I'm not even sure how "relevant" your tearing my posts apart paragraph by paragraph is going to change the very "real situations" that I described----and I only printed the minor ones, it is much worse than I shared.  TRUST ME.  Your disagreeing, still doesn't remedy the situation between Africans or AA's over here in the states.

You can believe that what you see as "Shy-One's Viewpoint" - isn't my personal View-point at all ---- it is what is going on over here that I posted.

Chima - maybe in NY it is better because you live in a very diverse area where there are millions of Africans, Arabs, etc,  people from all over the world.  But 3/4 of the U.S. isn't made up of large cities.  There are more small towns in the U.S. that have backward thinking - unevolved people that live here and can and will stand up and attest to what I typed.  There are some really ignorant Whites and AAs in the U.S.  who I run into everyday and have to leave their presence because I just don't have the time or the energy to devote.  Same as some writers on NL - I just have to move on, they just can't understand and I don't have the wherewithal to keep explaining it any further.  You have to let people "live a little" to see it for themselves.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 1:38am On Jun 24, 2011
tom28:

Americans(both white and AA alike)have a negative view of non americans.They regard the mexicans as a group of subhumans who sell oranges and eat taco all day while they regard africans as apes and bootyscratchers.I recall sometime ago there was this female black american standup comedian who made a joke about starving african kids in the sudan and was saying something about the UN sending them some bunch of bananas and her audience laughing hard over the joke.In some schools the AA students make fun of very dark skinned african students and in this could explain why many africans over  here tend to make up fake american accents and pass off themselves as black americans in order not to be taunted.

I hate to say this because it is painful - WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN is absolutely true.  I didn't want to go this far in my posting as far as description because I didn't want to hurt anyone.  But even the small amount I posted on this topic - I was torn into as though I feel this way.  I just stated what I have observed since I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL in this country. My friends have been Korean, African American, African and White. So I hear what AA's say about whites and about Africans and I hear what Africans say about AA's and about Whites.

I do agree with Adconline though as far as when it comes to brutality AA's seem to be more hateful towards Africans than the opposite. But I actually have met some Africans who have come to the U.S. and returned to their country full of venom for AA's, Whites and America in general. Very sad.

You are correct.  I think in larger cities it is better.  It is also better when Africans live in a highly populated African area.  But in small towns I have witnessed it for years.  Most People have problems dealing with "people that are different than they are."  That is what I was told.

So it is for "us" to do something about it to change what goes on.  You have to educate each other.  Because it is unacceptable and inhumane.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 1:44am On Jun 24, 2011
tom28:

And maybe that is why the crime rate is increasing in nigeria because every body wants to be a street thug.Lil Wayne,DMX and the other street thugs rappers are not reliable models for young blacks but since we look up to them this can explain why our black communties are messed up both in the african community and the black american community.Funny thing is that many blacks consider Obama as an uncle tom because he"s educated but then he"s good enough role model for we africans.But hey as long as we blacks look at 50cents,Lil Wayne and the others as our role models we would always be messed up.Look at the way Hip hop has affected your AA youths with the result that many now have an anti social attitude with many of them skipping school and getting involved in gangs.

Very true.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 1:58am On Jun 24, 2011
adconline:

Yes, it's hard explaining to Nigerians that a Nigerian living in the US can be broke as hell let alone telling them that AAs are this and that. When you talk about AAs, Nigerians have more positive images of successful AAs like Oprah,50cents, Jay-Z than folks who are struggling in the hood. Folks in the hood hardly get any prime time spot on TV in Naija. Most Nigerians form their opinions based on what they see on tv---Minus wars, positive images of US dominate most Naija airwaves.Unlike in the US, where negative images of Africa dominate their airwaves. Going by the above stated scenarios, A Nigerian is more inclined to have a more positive image of an American including AA than an American would have of a Nigerian without any travel. Nigeria is one the countries that has a high favorable view of the US, while reserve is not the case.

I completely agree with you. When I explained to my guy who is in Lagos the above he was surprised and I was surprised that he was surprised. That Nigerians can be broke in the U.S. But he was very enlightened on the U.S. as he has family that lives in the U.S. who he talks to via phone regularly. He knew the negative images of AA's in the U.S. especially the youth.

But as soon as Nigerians or any other ethnicity steps off the plane onto U.S. soil they immediately see the myths dispelled. I am not talking about Nigerians in Nigeria ---- I was speaking SPECIFICALLY about how Nigerians view AA's once they have lived in America and vice versa. I made that clear. It is obvious that TV and the internet are a person's teacher if you have never been to the other country. Same as California - we see Hollywood and beautiful homes - then you go to California and you see the bad areas which are more massive in size than the good areas which TV didn't show. Or that if you get out of your car and you have on the wrong color, you can still get your brains shot out by a gun in the wrong area of California from the gangs that are in high existence.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 2:00am On Jun 24, 2011
^So your guy is in Lagos? Doing his NYSC? How long has he been away? Suspected any cheating?
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 2:55am On Jun 24, 2011
Shy-One:

I hate to say this because it is painful - WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN is absolutely true.  I didn't want to go this far in my posting as far as description because I didn't want to hurt anyone.  But even the small amount I posted on this topic - I was torn into as though I feel this way.  I just stated what I have observed since I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL in this country. My friends have been Korean, African American, African and White. So I hear what AA's say about whites and about Africans and I hear what Africans say about AA's and about Whites.

I do agree with Adconline though as far as when it comes to brutality AA's seem to be more hateful towards Africans than the opposite. But I actually have met some Africans who have come to the U.S. and returned to their country full of venom for AA's, Whites and America in general. Very sad.

You are correct.  I think in larger cities it is better.  It is also better when Africans live in a highly populated African area.  But in small towns I have witnessed it for years.  Most People have problems dealing with "people that are different than they are."  That is what I was told.

So it is for "us" to do something about it to change what goes on.  You have to educate each other.  Because it is unacceptable and inhumane.
Thank God you see the truth in what i am saying.I speak from what i have experienced .It is not only africans who come across hate in the USA but hispanics as well.White americans are fond of refering to mexicans as orange pickers and even AAs have joined on the hate towards mexicans.In America everybody spends a better part of his time hating other ppl.Today they will blame the mexicans for this and that.Shyone i bet you heard about the story of a six yr old mexican girl who was shot dead by a group of white vigilantes.The most heart rendering part of this story was that this little girl was pleading for her life b4 they shot her.I was taken aback when i came across a group of white americans and black americans who said the death of the little girl was justified because mexicans are illegal aliens in the US.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 4:27am On Jun 24, 2011
tom28:

Thank God you see the truth in what i am saying.I speak from what i have experienced .It is not only africans who come across hate in the USA but hispanics as well.White americans are fond of refering to mexicans as orange pickers and even AAs have joined on the hate towards mexicans.In America  everybody spends a better part of his time hating other ppl.Today they will blame the mexicans for this and that.Shyone i bet you heard about the story of a six yr old mexican girl who was shot dead by a group of white vigilantes.The most heart rendering part of this story was that this little girl was pleading for her life b4 they shot her.I was taken aback when i came across a group of white americans and black americans who said the death of the little girl was justified because mexicans are illegal aliens in the US.

I am horrified ----  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350721/Girl-9-father-shot-dead-anti-immigrant-vigilantes-begged-life.html - this is what you speak.  I believe it completely.  I had not heard.  But I believe it.  Mexicans/Hispanics (many hate to be called Mexican in the U.S.) march FOR CITIZENSHIP --- whites use them illegally at factories and in their homes as servants, maids, etc, and these same Mexicans pay taxes and aren't allowed to live as citizens - I did several research papers on this very topic, spoke to many human rights groups about this. Whites hate when they march for their freedom.  I have lots of white friends that had the nerve to make horrible comments (these people are in the church) - none of the White Americans or Black Americans parents are native to America - everyone's ancestors came from somewhere else.

My church is all white - we are the only blacks in the church - has been that way since I was 14 years of age.  Some years ago.  My mom has been on the Board of Directors for that church and held several positions at the church.  Anyway, she joined several groups to "fight for immigrants-Mexican/Haitian/African" - the church told her to step down.  I was enraged, she was dumbstruck.  They told her to step down---don't involve the church in any political endeavors.  They also fired the Mexican Woman who was hired to clean the church, this same woman's daughter attends our Sunday School and the mother attends church service every Sunday.  They fired her because she confessed to being an "Illegal Immigrant" -  she comes and confesses in tears so the church can help her and they fired her.   I just am appalled.  The majority of our members are Republicans and so-called upstanding citizens of significance in the community. 

Tom - I tell you this isn't a battle over color - the real battle is strictly a resource battle.  Blacks hate the Mexicans because they take the jobs.  Whites hate the blacks because they take the jobs.  It is a resources battle.  Whites turn it into a racist battle as does AA's towards Africans.  Fearing that Africans will come from out of the country and take what AA's have fought to get for generations.

That is my deep belief.  I have observed and researched and researched.  It is a resource battle that is then turned into a racist battle to make people feel less than people to intimidate them to "not succeed."  THAT IS TRUTH.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by dayokanu(m): 6:22am On Jun 24, 2011
I am glad that we are able to come to some agreement here.

Most Africans before stepping on US soil are soo enthralled by the idea of a free world where everyone is a millionaire until they get discriminated against and most painfully by ppl of the same color

Naturally such ppl would just withdraw back into their comfort zone of fellow Africans.

The sad part is that this discrimination starts from early childhood, An immigrant 7yr old girl in elementary school is quickly made to know she isnt one of "them" cos of her accent and very nubian features. She thereby withdraws into her own group where she wont be discriminated against
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 11:30am On Jun 24, 2011
dayokanu:

Most Africans before stepping on US soil are soo enthralled by the idea of a free world where everyone is a millionaire until they get discriminated against and most painfully by ppl of the same color

Naturally such ppl would just withdraw back into their comfort zone of fellow Africans.

The sad part is that this discrimination starts from early childhood, An immigrant 7yr old girl in elementary school is quickly made to know she isnt one of "them" cos of her accent and very nubian features. She thereby withdraws into her own group where she wont be discriminated against

@Shy-one, as you can see Africans do not go to America with negativity towards African Americans its only when they have encountered negativity from AAs their views of them changes.

I came to the UK thinking the same thing, better life,easier but I have had many horrible experience from british born blacks and from Carribbeans and because of that my views of the blacks (being one)changed.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2011
lmao@ Chima.

sis why do you even bother?

*sighs*

I might as well. . .

@tom you say the black race is divided but what are you doing to enlighten the "ignorant akatas" and africans alike? absolutely nothing. Instead you come on here and without shame seem to enjoy typing the stereotypes of AAs without taking the time to credit those who have reached out to foreigners and looked at the ignorant ones as being "lost brothers/sisters". I came on this site to understand about Nigeria and to see if the stereotypes about Nigerians were true not to mention kill a few that I saw some ignorant members typing about my own people. I have been embraced and disrespected by Nigerians (and wanna-be Nigerians aka other Africans on this site who think being African they are entitled to disrespect me as well  grin) alike. At times I would think to myself that all Nigerians are rude, ignorant and arrogant - all out of anger but then I had to check myself and remembered the many on this site who have showed me love and interest in my two ethnicities. It would be wrong to label all because of some. Perhaps you too can take on the same attitude. Life is too short. You will find we blacks from all over have too much in common than difference.

Since we are on the subject some of you Africans need to really check your attitudes for real just as you want us to. Some Africans go to foreign countries after having already conditioned their minds against western blacks based on hear-say and what they have seen on tv. The same way we are perceived and portrayed to be thugs with no ambition is the same way you all are looked at and depicted in the west as being "bush, crazy, village inhabitants, monkies, smelly, and primitive"  undecided (I am being VERY SERIOUS!) and many AAs and some Caribbeans are not being told otherwise and therefore regard Africa as being a horrible place. They become uninterested in doing the research themselves to find out fact from fiction. This results in their asking ignorant questions to Africans some of which use this to justify the beliefs that we western blacks are "fo0ls". Slavery messed us ALL up on both sides of the Atlantic. What is ok in Africa we are told to laugh and scorn and what we do most Africans do not approve of such as a woman having children by different men, but the key thing is: SLAVERY. You cannot look at our skin and assume we are exactly in tune with the ways of our distant ancestors. We are talking over 400 years of separation, so the best thing to do is self educate and to educate.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by campbell05: 4:00pm On Jun 24, 2011
@mrs.chima are you a male or female? are you a nigerian?
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 24, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

lmao@ Chima.

*sighs*

I might as well. . .

@tom you say the black race is divided but what are you doing to enlighten the "ignorant akatas" and africans alike? absolutely nothing. Instead you come on here and without shame seem to enjoy typing the stereotypes of AAs without taking the time to credit those who have reached out to foreigners and looked at the ignorant ones as being "lost brothers/sisters". I came on this site to understand about Nigeria and to see if the stereotypes about Nigerians were true not to mention kill a few that I saw some ignorant members typing about my own people. I have been embraced and disrespected by Nigerians (and wanna-be Nigerians aka other Africans on this site who think being African they are entitled to disrespect me as well  grin) alike. At times I would think to myself that all Nigerians are rude, ignorant and arrogant - all out of anger but then I had to check myself and remembered the many on this site who have showed me love and interest in my two ethnicities. It would be wrong to label all because of some. Perhaps you too can take on the same attitude. Life is too short. You will find we blacks from all over have too much in common than difference.

Since we are on the subject some of you Africans need to really check your attitudes for real just as you want us to. Some Africans go to foreign countries after having already conditioned their minds against western blacks based on hear-say and what they have seen on tv. The same way we are perceived and portrayed to be thugs with no ambition is the same way you all are looked at and depicted in the west as being "bush, crazy, village inhabitants, monkies, smelly, and primitive"  undecided (I am being VERY SERIOUS!) and many AAs and some Caribbeans are not being told otherwise and therefore regard Africa as being a horrible place. They become uninterested in doing the research themselves to find out fact from fiction. This results in their asking ignorant questions to Africans some of which use this to justify the beliefs that we western blacks are "fo0ls". Slavery messed us ALL up on both sides of the Atlantic. What is ok in Africa we are told to laugh and scorn and what we do most Africans do not approve of such as a woman having children by different men, but the key thing is: SLAVERY. You cannot look at our skin and assume we are exactly in tune with the ways of our distant ancestors. We are talking over 400 years of separation, so the best thing to do is self educate and to educate.[/colo
MzDarkSkin link=topic=694530.msg8582188#msg8582188 date=1308922428:

[color=indigo]lmao@ Chima.

*sighs*

I might as well. . .

Since we are on the subject some of you Africans need to really check your attitudes for real just as you want us to. Some Africans go to foreign countries after having already conditioned their minds against western blacks based on hear-say and what they have seen on tv. The same way we are perceived and portrayed to be thugs with no ambition is the same way you all are looked at and depicted in the west as being "bush, crazy, village inhabitants, monkies, smelly, and primitive"  undecided (I am being VERY SERIOUS!) and many AAs and some Caribbeans are not being told otherwise and therefore regard Africa as being a horrible place. They become uninterested in doing the research themselves to find out fact from fiction. This results in their asking ignorant questions to Africans some of which use this to justify the beliefs that we western blacks are "fo0ls". Slavery messed us ALL up on both sides of the Atlantic. What is ok in Africa we are told to laugh and scorn and what we do most Africans do not approve of such as a woman having children by different men, but the key thing is: SLAVERY. You cannot look at our skin and assume we are exactly in tune with the ways of our distant ancestors. We are talking over 400 years of separation, so the best thing to do is self educate and to educate.
r]
Mz darkskin i have given up trying to change the views of racist AAs and africans.What i have come to see in the USA is that AAs hate african,africans hate AAs,whiteys hate both AAs and africans,AAs hate mexicans,while both the AAs and whiteys hate the native americans.So the USA is a country built on hate and maybe this could explain its agressive wars towards the 3rd world countries in both the middle east and in africa.The USA is not as racially intergrated as it claims because self imposed racial segregation is common.In school you see the asians going their own way,the africans keeping to themselves as well as the AAs.If u are a very dark skinned africans the AAs would ridicule such a person and make fun of his accent and hence this could be why many africans come up with fake yankee accents and especially common with we nigerians because other africans are indifferent when the AAs make fun of their accents.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 24, 2011
No one has these conversations in Canada. undecided

You're all rednecks it seems, be u white AA or black.
Is there a point to all this foolishness?
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by tpia5: 5:39pm On Jun 24, 2011
in short, poster dont worry yoursef over all these things, like i pointed out.

none of it will prevent you from getting friends or a partner when the time is right.

just dont go chasing people who wont respect you and dont try to force them to like you either. If it doesnt come naturally then maybe it's not the kind of social situation you're supposed to be in.

just my opinion, not set in stone.

do what's best for you.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by campbell05: 5:45pm On Jun 24, 2011
This is all about racial discrimination and it's everywhere, within Africa, middle east and even the so called western world.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by fyneboi(m): 6:43pm On Jun 24, 2011
@PureOhio

Not all Nigerian guys are like that. I have lots of cousin whose moms are African America. Are you on facebook or

do you use blackberry bbm?  We can be friends, I am in Chicago. Email me your full name so  I can add you on facebook.

fyneboi80@gmail.com
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 8:54pm On Jun 24, 2011
Shy-One:

Chima - maybe in NY it is better because you live in a very diverse area where there are millions of Africans, Arabs, etc,  people from all over the world.  But 3/4 of the U.S. isn't made up of large cities.  There are more small towns in the U.S. that have backward thinking - unevolved people that live here and can and will stand up and attest to what I typed.  There are some really ignorant Whites and AAs in the U.S.  who I run into everyday and have to leave their presence because I just don't have the time or the energy to devote.  Same as some writers on NL - I just have to move on, they just can't understand and I don't have the wherewithal to keep explaining it any further.  You have to let people "live a little" to see it for themselves.

I do not live in NY nor I live in a very diverse area. My lifestyle affords me to meet various of people all over America and Africa. I have met Africans who share Jerry Jr aka Tom48 views and Africans who do not share Jerry Jr views.

You are welcome to attest to anything that you see in your neighborhood and I don't have an issue with it. Just because I agree with Kandi on the word choice theory doesn't mean I have anything to do with the debate.

I am not into dictating people so if they do not want to "live" a little that on THEM. I have traveled outside of America and seen more than WHAT MAJORITY OF Americans and Africans wish they could see. cool When people travels OUTSIDE of their area/country they will know better. Unfortunately MILLIONS will never have the privilege do so.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 9:16pm On Jun 24, 2011
MzDarkSkin:

lmao@ Chima.

*sighs*

I might as well. . .

I know sis but SOMETIMES it is fun messing with slow people.   grin  I told my girl, Maria who is Cuban American that Tom thinks hispanic means Mexican she laughed and said he from the backwoods huh?  I was like no, he is not even American.   Just know the dialogue wasn't nice after that so I will leave that alone before some more feelings get hurt.   lipsrsealed

Let me share some of Tom28 highlights.
12,000 is greater than 25 millions.
DC is the biggest city in the world.
My friend is not hispanic, she is cuban.
America has no culture and Black leaders are missing.
President Barack and Michelle Obama are Asians.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Black women are bitches but my Nigerian women are Queens.  grin grin grin grin

It was priceless when a Nigerian chatter said "You needs to go back to school because you making Nigeria looks stupd" on "Would you let other man take your wife to an event thread" after Tom28 said DC has the largest HIV infection amongst Black Americans in the WORLD.  I was on the floor!   grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 9:25pm On Jun 24, 2011
dayokanu:

There will always be people REGARDLESS of "color" making fun of someone that is "different" from them. There are black people in the North making fun of black people in the south. There are white people in the north making fun of white people in the south. There are Mexicans making fun of Puerto Ricans. There are people who are not disabled making fun of people who are disabled. There are people with money making fun of people with no money.

The list goes on and on. The fact that someone has a bad experience and CLUMP everybody as one IS A COP OUT. Just like Mz Darkskin said she experienced maltreatment from YOUR PEOPLE and still maintain the SOME apparition. We all have bad experience of some sort but what makes one differ in intelligence is knowing that 1 equals 1 and not 100,000.

Just because someone talked about your nose or your lip doesn't mean that you have to turn around and tell your neighbor he or she has no identity. We are responsible for our actions and change starts with US not them.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 9:44pm On Jun 24, 2011
Shy-One:

AA's towards Africans.  Fearing that Africans will come from out of the country and take what AA's have fought to get for generations.

There are two type of black people in America regardless of where you come from. Niggers and Blacks. Even Chris Rock did a eepisodespeaking about the difference between Niggers and Blacks in America.

Blacks aren't complaining about other "Africans" taking jobs because Africans have it just as hard as Blacks in America. They are complaining about racial discrimination in the workplace and salary.

Niggers complaining about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

Blacks study hard and continue until they have reached the highest level. Move on to take care of their families and mentor to other children in communities about education and financial literacy.

Niggers do not study hard and drops out of school. Some sell drugs and some end up in jail. Many have multiple sex partners and bunch of children with all nationalities of women not just Black women.

Now you see the difference so what you and Tom28 just described are EPITOME OF NIGGERS even Niggers are coming from other parts of the world.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 10:14pm On Jun 24, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

There are two type of black people in America regardless of where you come from. Niggers and Blacks. Even Chris Rock did a eepisodespeaking about the difference between Niggers and Blacks in America.

Blacks aren't complaining about other "Africans" taking jobs because Africans have it just as hard as Blacks in America. They are complaining about racial discrimination in the workplace and salary.

Niggers complaining about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

Blacks study hard and continue until they have reached the highest level. Move on to take care of their families and mentor to other children in communities about education and financial literacy.

Niggers do not study hard and drops out of school. Some sell drugs and some end up in jail. Many have multiple sex partners and bunch of children with all nationalities of women not just Black women.

Now you see the difference so what you and Tom28 just described are EPITOME OF NIGGERS even Niggers are coming from other parts of the world.

I'm sorry I don't agree with anything you just wrote here - The "N" word I don't use and many, many blacks - especially in my income bracket are offended on so many different levels to hear it used in any context.

Also - I stand by what I wrote earlier Blacks do complain when "foreigners fill jobs---even more so in this economy."

Mrs.Chima:

I do not live in NY nor I live in a very diverse area. My lifestyle affords me to meet various of people all over America and Africa. I have met Africans who share Jerry Jr aka Tom48 views and Africans who do not share Jerry Jr views.

You are welcome to attest to anything that you see in your neighborhood and I don't have an issue with it. Just because I agree with Kandi on the word choice theory doesn't mean I have anything to do with the debate.

I am not into dictating people so if they do not want to "live" a little that on THEM. I have traveled outside of America and seen more than WHAT MAJORITY OF Americans and Africans wish they could see. cool When people travels OUTSIDE of their area/country they will know better. Unfortunately MILLIONS will never have the privilege do so.

Oh - not in NY? I thought that was your location some time back - I must have misread your posts. Anyway sorry for directing a question your way. Sounds good.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 10:22pm On Jun 24, 2011
kandiikane:

@Shy-one, as you can see Africans do not go to America with negativity towards African Americans its only when they have encountered negativity from AAs their views of them changes.

I came to the UK thinking the same thing, better life,easier but I have had many horrible experience from british born blacks and from Carribbeans and because of that my views of the blacks (being one)changed.

Hey Kandi - I agree with you here. I feel terrible that you went through what you went through in the UK. Your story is similar to countless AA's as well. You know when I see people mistreat others the foundation to that mistreatment is that "They treat others in the manner in which they are being treated."

That isn't to excuse them on ANY LEVEL. But when you see a NL full of venom or a stranger in person who is just disagreeable or loud or bossy or loving or kind or gentle or WHATEVER - you can bet that they are mirroring the treatment that they are accustomed to receiving and/or are receiving.

The first time I saw another African American or even another black person beside my own siblings and parents and possible 3 other blacks in the town - the first time I saw more than 10 blacks in my life - I was 12 years of age. Before I turned 12 - for 12 years I only saw a handful of blacks in my life. I also had never seen poverty or slums or people fighting or hanging out until all hours until I turned 12 when we moved from Colorado to the heart of Mississippi. I was absolutely thrilled and then my thrill turned to fear, anger, etc. As the mistreatment I received for the first time in my life was from my own kind. SO I can definitely relate to what you have posted.

Hey = I can promise you that I can definitely "Start with Me" and my behavior and make every attempt to be kinder and gentler in my approach. We can teach ourselves and un-teach ourselves. We can give love and good treatment to others.

Shy-One grabs Kandi hugging her hard. Forgive me my dear. I want you to have a wonderful Friday and coming weekend. If there is anything that I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask and if it is in my power - I will grant it to you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do Nigerian Guys Like Ghanaian Girls? Lol / Conversation Between Hor*ny Woman Who Was Denied Sex And Boyfriend Leaked Online / Help! My Girlfriend Forgot My Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.