Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Nigerian + American = Undateable? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian + American = Undateable? (13255 Views)

9 Characters That Makes Some Nigerian Girls Undateable / The Undateable Lady. / Nigerian Parents And Dating As A Nigerian-american (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jun 21, 2011
OP act like a lady,stop being too loud and rude and using the N word all the time like its much typical of black american women and u will see that nigerian men would be all over you in a second.We dont like loud nagging women.
PERIOD
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Amya(f): 10:35pm On Jun 21, 2011
@poster, from your simple courteous replies to even the rudest poster, i conclude you are nice person. Your being AA might not really be an issue with these guys, but it might be something else, not necessarily character-wise. The issue here might be

1. As someone said earlier, these guys may not be interested in you because of of how close your family and theirs are. They may even see you as a sister.

2. They may be in a relationship, or they may think you are (you are 22).

3. Sometimes, Nigerian men wouldn't want to get too serious with a person exceptionally pretty (even though they greatly admire such a person) as they may be on their toes all the time and scared that someone better than they are would come and whisk you away. They'd want to save themselves that trouble.

4 And lastly, they may not even know your intentions towards them (that's if you have any). But seriously, what do want from these guys? friendship? Relationship? Marriage?

Seriously, it doesn't really matter where the guy comes from, as long you both love yourselves and he cherishes you like no mans business, and most importantly, he makes you happy.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MPEROR: 11:02pm On Jun 21, 2011
Pureohio, what i can say is you will be alright in your quest but mean while sit back if you can, and your country people

will answer all your questions for you.

Come out and ask for clarification when in doubt .We like to keep our people very close be patient with us
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by cheikh: 12:08am On Jun 22, 2011
@PureOhio

Seriously, very many young men of early 20s whose parents or families are close friends etc will have issues dating within such close community. They'll be foolhardy to want to date within such close "incestuous" proximity. Who wants unspoken family 'monitoring' wahala etc grin grin.? Young Nigerian men are not silly let alone 'stupid' to play around close family circles. They are not ready to engage in the kind of dating adventure a young woman like you/ with close family connections will bring to the table. It's too close for comfort for any "sharp" young man(20s) just out for fun. Women of similar age group  as the young men, are inherently and relatively more 'mature'  than their male contemporaries in the affairs of the heart etc. Men are rarely ever ready for such issues etc. Try to venture outside your close family circle and see a different response. You are fairly grounded in Naija ways anyway, as you've actually lived there. Nigerian men don't discriminate at all only insecure men will place 'pseudo'-cultural barriers before making a move for a fine Babe like you grin. Take a trip again to Naija and let's see if you'll come back single grin grin. Please don't bother about Ghana or anywhere else in Africa but Proudly NAIJA grin grin.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by mystikal(m): 12:39am On Jun 22, 2011
Some of you do realise you are speaking for an entire country abi, That is a lot of knowledge and responsibility o.

@poster, I'm certain it is not a nationality thing, and I am very very sure it is not beauty thing either. U beautiful
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 12:48am On Jun 22, 2011
PureOhio, don't feel bad sis. If your being half AA is the reason why they do not want you, to be blunt
I say "fck 'em" cheesy. No need to worry about any man who dislikes you because of your background. A person's nationality or ethnicity does not make or define them as a person. I too am mixed only I am [proudly] west indian and aa. Fortunately for me I haven't had the issue of being rejected for either side but even then I know that bottom line
'A loser is a loser' regardless of where he/she is from. A real man would be interested in knowing the woman who stands before him and not worry about what does not matter. Leave those guys be, for there are plenty of Nigerian men who are not like that. smiley Good luck and God bless you my 'half caste' sis. cheesy Be proud and don't worry about it!
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 1:48am On Jun 22, 2011
tom28:

OP act like a lady,stop being too loud and rude and using the N word all the time like its much typical of black american women and u will see that nigerian men would be all over you in a second.We dont like loud nagging women.
PERIOD

You just destroyed what your fellow brothers just build up. Just because SHE IS HALF AKATA doesn't means she was saying NIGGA, BEING LOUD, AND rude.

You do not know her AND YET you judged her. Interesting. Now PureOhio, BLACK PEOPLE HAVE ENOUGH SHIT to deal with let alone DEALING WITH IGNANT mofos.

It will always be IGNANT mofos no matter where you go and TRUST ME you will meet a REAL NIGERIAN who represents TRUE NIGERIA (that if you want a Nigerian man).

That THANG UP THERE is what you SHOULD RUN FROM.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by adconline(m): 9:00am On Jun 22, 2011
You are not in the majority.  The word racist doesn't fall from my lips readily.  I have read many writers of African descent that generally choose to first marry another Nigerian of same tribe, secondly another African, if they go outside and don't marry African they would marry a white person over an African American.

Nothing personal - that's why I didn't attack you because this isn't personal.  This is what I have read from many,many, many writers.  They associate AA with negative images especially those 30 years of age and up.  The younger Africans tend to hold the images of African Americans on a more positive note because they associate that image of those AA who have succeeded in music, athletics, etc

Now you have told us many bad things Africans do AAs , its time you told us how AAs view Africans. You keep talking about Africa as if you went to[b] Sarah Palin's School of Geography[/b].  Africa is a continent that is ethnically diverse. So stopping lumping everyone together.Dont most AAs marry fellow AAs? OP wanted to know why she did not get enough attention from Nigerian men, now you have expanded  it to include African men and you are depicting a narrow experience of yours as  a holistic one.

The OP lives in Ohio and visited ATL. I dont mean to sound vulgar, if she had been interested in a one night stand, she would have gotten it. Guys are not ready for out of state dating if they have a lot of options locally.  You are out of state, you are out of  their  league, unless  they will get laid quickly. This is how most guys think.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by seunbballo(m): 9:00am On Jun 22, 2011
@PureOhio - u re a fine gal, they re supposed to be rushing you like sweet suya. Don't mind those nigerian guys in america jere!! There are a lot of guys out there that will die for u, just be your self and don't try to change your personality. Just self improvement will do!!
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by otokx(m): 9:20am On Jun 22, 2011
Nice responses from sleekman, cheik and adconline.

To those saying she should be silent on her origins; not good as the guys will eventually find out and still take off. Let her do as she wants and the guy who wants will remain
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jun 22, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

You just destroyed what your fellow brothers just build up. Just because SHE IS HALF AKATA doesn't means she was saying NIGGA, BEING LOUD, AND rude.

I dont know her but i have come across a number of black american women who are too fiesty,arrogant,loud and too controlling and they label that as being a strong black woman.African american women are beautiful yes but their character is what scares off a number of we african men when it comes to marriage.No african man wants to marry a woman who fights him all the time and bitch all they long.If your own AA men are running away from you and dating white girls and latinas why do we african men have to take the load? There are white men out there who would be ready to date a fiesty black american woman and besides when a woman is much militant and fiesty a white guy loves it because its a turn on for them being controlled by a black woman.Personally speaking i think the american women that make the best choice for a wife are hispanic women.They are cool headed and they are the only american women who i know who can cook as well(remember i love women who cook)
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by enomakos(m): 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2011
may be u are not beautiful enough
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 22, 2011
enomakos:

enomakos when it comes to a serious relationship we naija guys are really not that fussy about the woman"s look.As long as she"s not ugly as sin or obese she"s ok with us.What mostly scares us off is the character of a woman.The OP"s ok judging for her looks on her profile.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by no1madman(m): 1:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
enomakos:

WETIN B your FUCKIN PROBLEM?your sis fine pass her!
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MrsChima(f): 1:29pm On Jun 22, 2011
tom28:

I dont know her but i have come across a number of black american women who are too fiesty,arrogant,loud and too controlling and they label that as being a strong black woman.African american women are beautiful yes but their character is what scares off a number of we african men when it comes to marriage.No african man wants to marry a woman who fights him all the time and NaughtyWoman all they long.If your own AA men are running away from you and dating white girls and latinas why do we african men have to take the load? There are white men out there who would be ready to date a fiesty black american woman and besides when a woman is much militant and fiesty a white guy loves it because its a turn on for them being controlled by a black woman.Personally speaking i think the american women that make the best choice for a wife are hispanic women.They are cool headed and they are the only american women who i know who can cook as well(remember i love women who cook)

You came across many black American women IN your dream?  lipsrsealed  Going to America by googling does not count suga.  I know there are Nigerian men who ACTUALLY went to USA and Nigerian men WHO googled America.  

What does the black American women that you have dreamed about HAVE TO DO WITH PureOhio?  We are talking about ONE person and not the type of women that you DREAMED about.  You haven't met PureOhio and you already JUDGED HER.  

Just because you like eating tacos and nachos doesn't mean that all Hispanic women can cook.  There are bad and good cooks in every nationalities and you are DEFINITELY not a typical Nigerian man.  (MOST have common sense and cognitive endowment)
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

You came across many black American women IN your dream? lipsrsealed Going to America by googling does not count suga. I know there are Nigerian men who ACTUALLY went to USA and Nigerian men WHO googled America.

What does the black American women that you have dreamed about HAVE TO DO WITH PureOhio? We are talking about ONE person and not the type of women that you DREAMED about. You haven't met PureOhio and you already JUDGED HER.

Just because you like eating tacos and nachos doesn't mean that all Hispanic women can cook. There are bad and good cooks in every nationalities and you are DEFINITELY not a typical Nigerian man. (MOST have common sense and cognitive endowment)

You just mad over nothing and u label me as someone who sterotype but look at you saying i eat tacos and nachos from hispanic ladies.I dont need to google about black american women since i come across them everyday.They have an attitude and they are all drama(just like you are exhibiting in here) cheesy.My hispanic friend is not a mexican but a cuban and she"s a very good cook and besides you need to taste some of the african dishes she has perfected herself in preparing cheesy.I know a number of black american women married to nigerian men and these guys are complaining and making plans to divorce them for african women because these black american women give them problems all the time.One of my friends uncle who met his black american wife while he was in school in Denmark has divorced her and he"s now with a nigerian woman.Sorry to say this but yes when it comes to sex black american women are very good in it but when it comes to marriage its a big no no.You ladies dont even have succesful relationships with your own black american men and you ladies disrespect them all the time.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 1:45pm On Jun 22, 2011
@PureOhio, You are very pretty.

As for the thread I think it might just be those certain men
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 22, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

typical Nigerian man.  (MOST have common sense and cognitive endowment)

And i recall you some other time u saying that a good number of us nigerian men are scams but now you changing your words grin.Ol boy some of you akatas are so damm funny grin
Anyway i respect your black american men for the strenght they have in withstanding yall drama cheesy.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by shyone1: 2:59pm On Jun 22, 2011
adconline:

You are not in the majority.  The word racist doesn't fall from my lips readily.  I have read many writers of African descent that generally choose to first marry another Nigerian of same tribe, secondly another African, if they go outside and don't marry African they would marry a white person over an African American.

Nothing personal - that's why I didn't attack you because this isn't personal.  This is what I have read from many,many, many writers.  They associate AA with negative images especially those 30 years of age and up.  The younger Africans tend to hold the images of African Americans on a more positive note because they associate that image of those AA who have succeeded in music, athletics, etc

Now you have told us many bad things Africans do AAs , its time you told us how AAs view Africans
. You keep talking about Africa as if you went to[b] Sarah Palin's School of Geography[/b].  Africa is a continent that is ethnically diverse. So stopping lumping everyone together.Dont most AAs marry fellow AAs? OP wanted to know why she did not get enough attention from Nigerian men, now you have expanded  it to include African men and you are depicting a narrow experience of yours as  a holistic one.

The OP lives in Ohio and visited ATL. I dont mean to sound vulgar, if she had been interested in a one night stand, she would have gotten it. Guys are not ready for out of state dating if they have a lot of options locally.  You are out of state, you are out of  their  league, unless  they will get laid quickly. This is how most guys think.

Read page 2 of the thread - I spoke on both African and AA

Don't refer to me and Sarah Palin in the same sentence.

Read my statements again - you will see that I DIDN'T LUMP as I intentionally chose the words a "large majority" ---- if you don't fall in that majority-----good for you.  My experiences with African men have been very good NOTHING NARROW about them.  From these very African men, those I dated and those I befriended every single one of them confirmed the negative image they had from their personal experience and/or their "heard of experiences" of AA's as a group.  Additionally, I have also spoken to Africans from Ghana, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Rwanda-----the media has given AA's such a negative image and many of those same AAs have bought into that downward spiral----views of our ethnicity are global so I definitely can speak of this, the U.S. has been the largest superpower for as far back as I can recall and those of my ancestors can recall.  The U.S. pushed that viewpoint (read your U.S. History books) to other nations ----- so I can safely speak on a wholistic (not holistic - used more medicinally speaking) level.  Globally there is a negative "prevailing view" amongst cultures including black cultures in 3rd world countries that AA's are undesirable on different levels.  As an AA I can state that without emotion as I like to face claims especially false ones.  I don't live in the dark----I want to see the hole before I step into it.  I'm not one to see something and turn away as though it isn't there.  If you don't answer the falsities they still persist.  I answer them right away. Those countries that methodically without question kiss the azz. of the U.S. have bought into that view of AA's.

@ OP - if a few measly miles of travel has put these guys off of you, your beauty, your intellect and your ethnicity------TRUST ME  that isn't the lot you want or need.  A man who loves to travel should be one of the qualities you like in a mate.  Travel expands the horizon on so many different levels --- all involved benefit.  If a small distance played a factor of showing "disinterest" - run from the despot, pathetic bunch.  I never met an African in the U.S. that saw distance as a hinderance.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 3:09pm On Jun 22, 2011
Hmm,  my To-marry list = 1:West African 2:African 3:which ever
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by tpia5: 3:13pm On Jun 22, 2011
anyway, plenty of fish in the sea.

one man's meat is another man's poison, so i wouldnt worry myself too much about such things.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 3:19pm On Jun 22, 2011
[b]Here is truth!

pay close attention to Babe and livedit!!

I speak standing on American soil regarding this issue that I have observed for quite some time. Nothing personal or negative just fact! I have also dated African men from different parts of Africa.

Africans a LARGE MAJORITY of them come to the U.S. with preconceived notions from television and relatives and observing once they arrive the condition of the majority of "African Americans" - very few Africans strike out independent of their tribal group----they generally always have one foot inside of their African group AT ALL TIMES while they are here in America as it is their lifeline and support system while they are here. Which means they are heavily still influencing each other thoughts and actions to assist each other to succeed. However, the other side of that coin is that if they hold certain views that are derogatory in nature---they also share that amongst them as well. This constant closeness as a side effect can also alienate them from other cultures so if there are any myths to dispel---it is quite difficult.

Most Africans that I have observed look down on "African Americans" while they live in the U.S. amongst us and vice versa. So Africans and African Americans don't ever really get to know each other. AA's many times see them as odd, ugly, superior-acting, poor enunciation skills, but very high intellect, academic achievement and financial success. Africans in the U.S. many times see AA's as wild, whores, uneducated, dangerous, attractive, great in bed, uncontrollable, etc.

If you were at an African party with a large group of Africans in attendance-----your Akata-ness isn't something you want to EVEN MENTION in that crowd. As they will sleep with you IMMEDIATELY but amongst their own kind, they will be reluctant to be seen publically in your presence for fear/discomfort of being associated with you because of possible backlash from within their community.

That's my observation and I stand by it. An African male will be more readily in your face, show appreciation of you once he breaks from the African pack---find one that will want you ANYWHERE YOU GO. As that person is definitely out there---don't worry or blink over any that flake out in front of their bros.

My advice to you is to identify with your "qualities" and make those "qualities" of who you are to shine so bright it blinds those on nationality/ethnicity - don't discuss your heritage. Half this, half that. I am a half-breed and I know that my babe who is Yoruba Nigerian will face some backlash from some of his kind for even being with me. I am not ignorant to this fact----just as once he is in the U.S., I will face backlash from those that know me as well for being with him and he will also face backlash from AA men when they see us together.

If you want a Nigerian man or an African man as mate to you who is half Nigerian----practice now. Be aware only, ignore being hurt, self-conscious, upset. Focus on you as you are quite attractive regardless to what runs through your veins. Take those halves and make ONE POWERFUL WHOLE. That can't be ignored or unaccepted in any situation.[/b]
WHAT!!??! What Study did you conduct on these African men to come up with this? So if she is at an African party she should not say she is an AA because the Africa men would shun her? What time of ignorance is this?
Please give me the number of people you have slept with to come up with this conclusion.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by poweredcom(m): 3:28pm On Jun 22, 2011
Girl try visit Nigeria ok, for Nigerians in america, be friends with Nigerian that live in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by obongtunji: 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2011
Pureohio don't worry yourself, when your own man comes he won't mind if your mum is from asia he will stay. Goodluck
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 3:41pm On Jun 22, 2011
@ KK

You aren't in the U.S. so I'm unsure as to why you are responding to what goes on over here. Had you read the poster's response - she wasn't surprised nor stunned as you are exhibiting here.

You can't stand on this side of the line to see what we see or speak of. Are you an African American that has been to a largely African party here in the U.S. to voice an opinion? How many people you have slept with is of no consequence in this conversation. SO your line of questioning in that respect is quite odd.

Approach the poster - don't approach me. You and I don't have the same experience. If you don't agree, that is your right. But tell that to the poster, I could care less.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 3:43pm On Jun 22, 2011
poweredcom:

Girl try visit Nigeria ok, for Nigerians in america, be friends with Nigerian that live in Nigeria

@ Pureohio

This writer is correct - I agree - A different outcome completely.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 3:53pm On Jun 22, 2011
Shy-One:

@ KK

You aren't in the U.S. so I'm unsure as to why you are responding to what goes on over here. Had you read the poster's response - she wasn't surprised nor stunned as you are exhibiting here.

You can't stand on this side of the line to see what we see or speak of. Are you an African American that has been to a largely African party here in the U.S. to voice an opinion? How many people you have slept with is of no consequence in this conversation. SO your line of questioning in that respect is quite odd.

Approach the poster - don't approach me. You and I don't have the same experience. If you don't agree, that is your right. But tell that to the poster, I could care less.
I am not in the US but I have family there and I am not going to ask the posted because she did not post YOUR comment.
Your comment was ignorant and I just want to know how you came up with that "truth"

Yes, I believe I can voice my own opinion on the matter because I am African and its about AA+Africans.
Ofcourse, you won't care because your post was full of ignorant "truths"
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by ShyOne(f): 4:42pm On Jun 22, 2011
kandiikane:

I am not in the US but I have family there and I am not going to ask the posted because she did not post YOUR comment.
Your comment was ignorant and I just want to know how you came up with that "truth"

Yes, I believe I can voice my own opinion on the matter because I am African and its about AA+Africans.
Ofcourse, you won't care because your post was full of ignorant "truths"

I completely agree with you - IT IS IGNORANT - isn't it?  That's what most of us think.

However, whether you think it is ignorant or whether I think it is ignorant.  Doesn't change the horrible fact that "THAT IGNORANCE IS PREVALENT."

As an African maybe you "aren't aware" of its very valid and "in your face" happenings over here in the U.S.

I wish, hope and pray that more think like you do.  Currently over here in the U.S. - they don't.  Whether your family is here or not doesn't change what is going on over here between the two groups or how each group sees the other group.

At the end of the day - attacking me - doesn't change the fact.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kunlaxo: 4:47pm On Jun 22, 2011
guys if u dear to marry an American, then be ready for just a week of marriage then face ur music of divorce,
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by MzOutside(f): 4:54pm On Jun 22, 2011
Be urself.

They say best things come to those who wait.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by kandiikane(m): 5:03pm On Jun 22, 2011
@SHYONE, No, don't get me wrong please I know there are Africans who want nothing to do with AA women but you cannot say majority do. Ofcourse, many who are brought up in Africa will prefer to marry an African but it does not mean they will not date an AA or if they fall in love to marry them.

I don't think is right for the OP to be advised not to reveal her AA background or not act it because its from there she will know who to run away from.

I referred to your comment as ignorant because even you are dating an African and if "the truth you refer to as AA find Africans ugly and African find AAs unattractive" IS the "truth" then I don't think you will be dating one

AA's many times see them as odd, ugly, superior-acting, poor enunciation skills, but very high intellect, academic achievement and financial success
I believe you put this in there for the sake of not enraging certain people.

As an African I look for other Africans but it don't mean if the opportunity arrives I will not date a Caucasian and Black British or try to run away from their advances. I think I have ran away from more African men then any other.

What I am trying to say is do not put Majority(Africans) or tell the OP to not "act" who she is. What, just to get a man? Please.
Re: Nigerian + American = Undateable? by PureOhio(f): 5:16pm On Jun 22, 2011
@finofaya: There's not need to apologize for them. Besides, I've already heard Mrs. Chima's suggestion on Ghanaian men. But thank you though.

@2buff: I don't think being too fine is the issue. I'm not saying I'm Ms Universe but I think I'm ok enough. As for preference, I just want a man who respects himself, women, and can hold his own in any setting. Also, I'd like him to be fanacially stable or at least know what he wants to do with his life and where he wants to go. There's nothing sexier than two young independent Nigerian abi?

@sleekman: Thank you very much. I'll certainly pay close attention to your words.

@saxywale: Please forgive me for my bad photo. It's just that one pic. I don't normally look like my little cousins lol.

@Shy-One: Once again, thank you so very much. Your words really do mean a lot to me.

@btyfulmnd: I didn't do anything wrong, honestly. This all started when they realized that my mom was American. Aside from that, we got along before.

@Basseti: lol, I most certainly did not come to the event with a sign. I could never show my face in public again if I did that! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Do Nigerian Guys Like Ghanaian Girls? Lol / Conversation Between Hor*ny Woman Who Was Denied Sex And Boyfriend Leaked Online / Help! My Girlfriend Forgot My Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.