Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1787469 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 2:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
londoner:

Well, London and Paris have surived without skyscrapers. I fact, countless cities in the world dont have a dominant feature of skyscrapers. People choose Enugu for a reason. Other cities can go after the US/Dubai cityscape of tall skyscrapers.

I know what you mean but Paris and London have skyscrapers as well

London

A think the US/Dubai/Asia style is ugly, but all eastern cities need skyscrapers. We're going to run out of land eventually and this means people will start cutting down wildlife and natural environments to use them for building businesses and houses. Eventually, if we don't take land conservation seriously the SE will lose everything uniquely african and natural about it and the trend is already starting. We don't have enough land to keep building bungalows and 1 story homes for any reason.

If Enugu wants to preserve its legendary natural beauty it will have to fit as many businesses apartments and condos into as little a space as possible. The only solution is to build up so that forestation and trees are sacrificed building outwards.

what all eastern cities should so make the building for a 3 story and above mandatory within city boundaries, nothing less. Not only will this preserve land, it will also help deflate the cost of living as more facilities will be available in the market. Or different districts have different heights. The same height uniformity and codification is what gives Paris it's 'look'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 2:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

I know what you mean but Paris and London have skyscrapers as well

London

A think the US/Dubai/Asia style is ugly, but all eastern cities need skyscrapers. We're going to run out of land eventually and this means people will start cutting down wildlife and natural environments to use them for building businesses and houses. Eventually, if we don't take land conservation seriously the SE will lose everything uniquely african and natural about it and the trend is already starting. We don't have enough land to keep building bungalows and 1 story homes for any reason.

If Enugu wants to preserve its legendary natural beauty it will have to fit as many businesses apartments and condos into as little a space as possible. The only solution is to build up so that forestation and trees are sacrificed building outwards.

what all eastern cities should so make the building for a 3 story and above mandatory within city boundaries, nothing less. Not only will this preserve land, it will also help deflate the cost of living as more facilities will be available in the market. Or different districts have different heights. The same height uniformity and codification is what gives Paris it's 'look'.

What I meant, is that London and Paris, dont have clustered skyscrapers, and its on purpose too. I agree that within commercial boundaries there needs to be regulations. Not just for height, but also for maintenance and strict adherence to planning, like ABJ.

London grows outwards rather than upwards. The government regenerates areas that were formally places of little investment or business activity.

The only area with anything like clustered skycraperstall buildings, is Canary Wharf and it was designed by an American firm.

If you look at a birds eye view of london, which include the buildings in your pic, you will see that Skyscrapers are not dominant. Town planning in London, is such, that alternative centres are developed,periodicaly, with comparible amenities and most importantly, transport links. This makes living further outside London a possibility.

Also, there are many mixed use developments, where housing is built on top of shops and train stations. There is also alot of traditional grand housing from the Victorian and Edwardian time, that are divided into separate apartments/flats. Also taking a long term view of contruction. For example the olympic village, which was built for the London Olympics and housing for many thousands of athletes and officials, is now housing for the people of East London. It was dual purpose. Enugu, does not have to be a capital city. I would imaging there are other cities in the SE that will also develop and harbour the Dubai skyscraper ideal. I'm sure Obiano mentioned just that.

The SE region should not have just a single city mentality, where one place (Enugu) becomes a mecca for people seeking a particular lifestyle. There should be at least three alternatives imo.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 3:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
So I passed by and got some pix with a phone. The Diagnostic centre in UNEC under construction. They are currently trying to roof the building.

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kcinho(m): 3:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
Was expecting them to have passed this stage considering the stage it was the last time I saw it. Anyway work is still on.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by capricon: 4:02pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ok Nice. Tnx for the effort.
Kcinho: Was expecting them to have passed this stage considering the stage it was the last time I saw it. Anyway work is still on.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 4:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
This talk of skyscrappers reminds me of a meeting we had in Houston Texas with Peter Obi during his tenure as Governor. He had asked for ideas about how to make the state great.
One man stood up and said if you looked around Houston, you will see skyscrappers, wide boulevards and he had come down from New York where he saw electric trains which conveyed people from Grand central station to all parts of New York. As far as he was concerned, that was what he wanted built in Anambra state by Peter Obi. grin grin grin grin
The next speaker jokingly asked him what was the budget of the New York city and he did not know. So someone in the crowd goggled it and shouted $73 billion dollars Sir! There was immense laughter in the hall. The joke being that New York city's budget was more than twice the entire Nigeria's budget, not to talk of Anambra's tiny budget of less than $500 million dollars!

Now what happened to suggesting the funding of Agriculture to enable food security and wealth generation,poverty reduction, building first class hospitals and diagnostic centers, accessibility of all parts of the state with durable roads serviced with solid gutters etc. These are tangible projects one can finance within a budget of $500 million dollars than mentioning single projects that cost an upward of $300 million to $10 billion dollars to accomplish. This is part of the reason people think that those that live abroad are ediots, because they have no sense of what is even possible. The point of the story is that our people go abroad and recommend super infrastructure white elephant projects which even advanced countries will struggle to fund.

Back to the issue, I support us dreaming big. One of the reasons I adore Chime is that he dreams big but realistically. The Abuja style development is not just the most feasible based on the amount of money required to achieve it, but the sustainability of it. Chime has quietly made sure his roads, their marking, traffic lights,road signs and other projects at least measure up to what can be found in Abuja. For example,Look at the airport link road flyover, many SE governors would not have redesigned that flyover from it's initial poor design. But Chime made sure those going to Abakaliki from the Enugu International airport are able to join the Abakaliki bound expressway facing that direction decending from the flyover. Spyder will know what I'm talking about.

Therefore, taking pictures of Tokyo, Los Angeles,New York City or Shanghai and insisting it must be replicated in Enugu without considering the revenue base of those states is like a one year old wondering why he can't suddenly own all Dangote's cement factories and all his money. Life my dear is in stages, you have to first build basic infrastructure to attract companies which will create an economy that generates wealth, before you can have such mind blowing funds for those romantic projects and skyscrapers in those pictures of Paris etc posted. Romantically dreaming of a sudden magic wand to wave and solve all the immediate pressing problems of poverty, suddenly convince IMF or world bank to decide to empty their vault and build skyscrapers in Enugu calls for some risperdal.

The Abuja style development below is where we should be going.....

15 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
ChimaAdeoye:

The Abuja style development below is where we should be going.....

Exactly...

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 5:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
This is Rainbow Model City Portharcourt.
Rivers’ Rainbow Town project Gulps N70b, ready in 2015.
www.bizwatchnigeria.ng/rivers-rainbow-town-project-gulps-n70b-ready-in-2015/
Me think they say Superstructures can't be built in Nigeria but ordinary Ameachi Rotimi says it can be done.
I wonder how much New York budget was when the city was built over 100years ago.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2014
This pix was taken 4 years ago,i bet they have gone far with the Rainbow Town project.
You can see more pix here: www.nairaland.com/481348/port-harcourt-rainbow-town

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 6:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
There is even another City project Ameachi is building known as Greater Portharcourt City. He has even contructed access road there.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 6:28pm On Sep 16, 2014
Bishop42: This pix was taken 4 years ago,i bet they have gone far with the Rainbow Town project.
You can see more pix here: www.nairaland.com/481348/port-harcourt-rainbow-town

Bros I bow for you o!
How can you argue for skyscrappers, then post pictures of buildings not exceeding 10 floors? You could very well have showed us Onitsha as what you meant by a clustered skyscrapers city.
You have showed us how Dubai was built from the scratch as a model to emulate, only to start citing Amaechi's rendtion?
So in your mind Amaechi's rendition (Even if they were actually built) and the clustered skyscrapers city you have pursuaded us to follow are the same thing?
So we can assume that Keke Napep and a luxury Mercedes Benz car are exactly the same things because they are known as vehicles?

See what a clustered skyscrapper city you have advocated should look like, not Amaechi's high-rise. I honestly hope you know there is a difference between the two.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 6:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:
Bros I bow for you o!
How can you argue for skyscrappers, then post pictures of buildings not exceeding 10 floors? You could very well have showed us Onitsha as what you meant by a clustered skyscrapers city.
You have showed us how Dubai was built from the scratch as a model to emulate, only to start citing Amaechi's rendtion?
So in your mind Amaechi's rendition (Even if they were actually built) and the clustered skyscrapers city you have pursuaded us to follow are the same thing?
So we can assume that Keke Napep and a luxury Mercedes Benz car are exactly the same things because they are known as vehicles?
See what a clustered skyscrapper city you have advocated should look like, not Amaechi's high-rise. I honestly hope you know there is a difference between the two.

I think Rainbow Town is PPP and has gone way beyond the pic you see. As for Amaechi, he can give account of utilizing 80% of Rivers income quite unlike what we have in other major oil producing States.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
Then you have a new city called Centenary City being built in Airport Road, Abuja. The new city will gulp 16 billion dollar and will be 100% funded by private sector. What this means is that Government wont spend a kobo on this project

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 6:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
Abagworo:

I think Rainbow Town is PPP and has gone way beyond the pic you see. As for Amaechi, he can give account of utilizing 80% of Rivers income quite unlike what we have in other major oil producing States.

Bishop42: Then you have a new city called Centenary City being built in Airport Road, Abuja. The new city will gulp 16 billion dollar and will be 100% funded by private sector. What this means is that Government wont spend a kobo on this project

I am not saying you are wrong,I just want you to think clearly and say exactly what you mean.

So you are saying that you believe Enugu State should copy what Rivers state or the FCT Abuja is building?

Also, remember that none of these projects are clustered skyscrapers as you have advocated for Enugu. Have you departed from advocating that?

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 6:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

Bros I bow for you o!

Pls show us where i mentioned skyscrapper in all my post on the New city.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 6:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

I am not saying you are wrong,I just want you to think clearly say exactly what you mean.

So you are saying that you believe Enugu State should copy what Rivers state or the FCT Abuja is building?

Also, remember that none of these projects are clustered skyscrapers. have you departed from advocating that?

Enugu doesn't have the funds and nothing to guarantee investors trust in gaining back their funds like you have in Abuja, Lagos and PH. The truth is that if Igbos get a country and Enugu is pronounced capital, I Abagworo and many other Igbos that have the money will put up highrise edifice. That's a promise from me. If ordinary traders in Aba and Onitsha are putting up 7 floors why can't real business men put up 20 floors?

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 6:55pm On Sep 16, 2014
londoner:

What I meant, is that London and Paris, dont have clustered skyscrapers, and its on purpose too. I agree that within commercial boundaries there needs to be regulations. Not just for height, but also for maintenance and strict adherence to planning, like ABJ.

London grows outwards rather than upwards. The government regenerates areas that were formally places of little investment or business activity.

The only area with anything like clustered skycraperstall buildings, is Canary Wharf and it was designed by an American firm.

If you look at a birds eye view of london, which include the buildings in your pic, you will see that Skyscrapers are not dominant. Town planning in London, is such, that alternative centres are developed,periodicaly, with comparible amenities and most importantly, transport links. This makes living further outside London a possibility.

Also, there are many mixed use developments, where housing is built on top of shops and train stations. There is also alot of traditional grand housing from the Victorian and Edwardian time, that are divided into separate apartments/flats. Also taking a long term view of contruction. For example the olympic village, which was built for the London Olympics and housing for many thousands of athletes and officials, is now housing for the people of East London. It was dual purpose. Enugu, does not have to be a capital city. I would imaging there are other cities in the SE that will also develop and harbour the Dubai skyscraper ideal. I'm sure Obiano mentioned just that.

The SE region should not have just a single city mentality, where one place (Enugu) becomes a mecca for people seeking a particular lifestyle. There should be at least three alternatives imo.

I DESPISE the single city idea for the SE

1. Bigger is not always better: Just because a city is bigger doesn't make it better. Example Abuja and Lagos. A Single city for what will be 50 million people by 2020 is madness, though I understand the incentives. Think about pollution, traffic, amenities, cost of living etc.

2. Germany: Germany follows a model where there are several cities that can sustain and support themselves and are almost essentially on equal standing. All of them offer what the other offers and because of this the next step for them economically is to export to the rest of the world. This is why Germany per capita leads the world in exports, and this is the model of Igbo land. an Igbo man from Owerri has no loyalty to Enugu. This is a strength not a weakness because he will strive to develop his home even if it's a village and not abandon it to start claiming something else like we see with Yorubas and hausa. This is the same as a German.

3. We're already moving in a multi city direction: There's no reason to reverse the natural tide of development we're already taking. People aren't abandoning Onitcha for Awka; they're both moving. Same with Umuahia and Aba, Owerri and Orlu, Enugu and Nsukka etc. In times of war and for general economic productivity, this is the best model to follow because we're safer with multiple heads as opposed to one. Besides, it's already our nature.

I'm also against unchecked outward sprawl. I live in a US city that sprawls almost endlessly. It makes for 45 minutes to get to work, almost an hour with traffic. As the city expands, the older parts are abandoned and rotted. Would you want to live in an 'older' part of town when a newer shinier part is added monthly? Property prices keep plummeting for the people that already own a home and increasing for those looking to buy one so owning a home is a bad investment now. Plus you can't convince investors to buy the old properties at the center of town and rebuild them or add something new when all of the economic activity is sprawling outwards.

Sprawl is horrible We don't want that in the SE nor do we have enough land. I believe that every village and city should have an urban planning blueprint because all of our communities will be urban or semi-urban centers by 2050. This plan should heed land conservation by encouraging home and business builders to build at no less that 3 stories, 4 stories in CBD.

This will allow government and investors to buy businesses in the center of town that can afford renovation, and build something more deserving of a CBD.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 7:02pm On Sep 16, 2014
Igboland being a single city is fundamentally unigbo. If you look traditionally, out market days are divided so that ever community gets a chance to host the major market. This means that while all communities get a chance to thrive from economic activities, no single can overtake the others and cause it's own growth at the expense of others. This is a economically republican approach to development that served us well. We were able to host an unusually large number of people in a small geographic area, all villages were economically sustainable (pre-colonial), and economies were egalitarian. Each village that wanted to stand out had to take on a trade. Awka had expert iron smiths for instance and exported it's produce. This is the beauty of a multi-city approach.

Even today, the east is the only region where all major cities in all the states are fundamentally equal in population, with Owerri and Abakiliki being slightly less populated from that sample but exhibiting breakneck growth,.

If Enugu comes to be the 'single city', it will be at the expense of other cities and businesses will see no reason to go elsewhere. This is how Lagos killed the SW. At one point Ibadan was bigger and more important than Lagos.

I think Enugu needs an 'Onitsha main market' and Onitsha needs an 'Enugu polo park' it only makes both stronger and more competitive.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 7:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
Abagworo:

Enugu doesn't have the funds and nothing to guarantee investors trust in gaining back their funds like you have in Abuja, Lagos and PH. The truth is that if Igbos get a country and Enugu is pronounced capital, I Abagworo and many other Igbos that have the money will put up highrise edifice. That's a promise from me. If ordinary traders in Aba and Onitsha are putting up 7 floors why can't real business men put up 20 floors?

What is stopping you from putting one up now. Enugu is a city of 5 million fairly well to do consumers. What business couldn't you do there successfully that you need Lagos? I understand Lagos is bigger but you say this as if 5 million people is small. There are entire countries smaller than Enugu State alone.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 7:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
And you have Eko Atlantic, Lagos.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ketoprofen(m): 7:12pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

1. Bigger is not always better: Just because a city is bigger doesn't make it better. Example Abuja and Lagos. A Single city for what will be 50 million people by 2020 is madness, though I understand the incentives. Think about pollution, traffic, amenities, cost of living etc.

2. Germany: Germany follows a model where there are several cities that can sustain and support themselves and are almost essentially on equal standing. All of them offer what the other offers and because of this the next step for them economically is to export to the rest of the world. This is why Germany per capita leads the world in exports, and this is the model of Igbo land. an Igbo man from Owerri has no loyalty to Enugu. This is a strength not a weakness because he will strive to develop his home even if it's a village and not abandon it to start claiming something else like we see with Yorubas and hausa. This is the same as a German.

3. We're already moving in a multi city direction: There's no reason to reverse the natural tide of development we're already taking. People aren't abandoning Onitcha for Awka; they're both moving. Same with Umuahia and Aba, Owerri and Orlu, Enugu and Nsukka etc. In times of war and for general economic productivity, this is the best model to follow because we're safer with multiple heads as opposed to one. Besides, it's already our nature.

I'm also against unchecked outward sprawl. I live in a US city that sprawls almost endlessly. It makes for 45 minutes to get to work, almost an hour with traffic. As the city expands, the older parts are abandoned and rotted. Would you want to live in an 'older' part of town when a newer shinier part is added monthly? Property prices keep plummeting for the people that already own a home and increasing for those looking to buy one so owning a home is a bad investment now. Plus you can't convince investors to buy the old properties at the center of town and rebuild them or add something new when all of the economic activity is sprawling outwards.

Sprawl is horrible We don't want that in the SE nor do we have enough land. I believe that every village and city should have an urban planning blueprint because all of our communities will be urban or semi-urban centers by 2050. This plan should heed land conservation by encouraging home and business builders to build at no less that 3 stories, 4 stories in CBD.

This will allow government and investors to buy businesses in the center of town that can afford renovation, and build something more deserving of a CBD.

I like your model .
Enugu state should have more viable places other than Enugu capital, same goes to other Igbo states.
I will deliberate on this later.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo: Igboland being a single city is fundamentally unigbo. If you look traditionally, out market days are divided so that ever community gets a chance to host the major market. This means that while all communities get a chance to thrive from economic activities, no single can overtake the others and cause it's own growth at the expense of others. This is a economically republican approach to development that served us well. We were able to host an unusually large number of people in a small geographic area, all villages were economically sustainable (pre-colonial), and economies were egalitarian. Each village that wanted to stand out had to take on a trade. Awka had expert iron smiths for instance and exported it's produce. This is the beauty of a multi-city approach.

Even today, the east is the only region where all major cities in all the states are fundamentally equal in population, with Owerri and Abakiliki being slightly less populated from that sample but exhibiting breakneck growth,.

If Enugu comes to be the 'single city', it will be at the expense of other cities and businesses will see no reason to go elsewhere. This is how Lagos killed the SW. At one point Ibadan was bigger and more important than Lagos.

I think Enugu needs an 'Onitsha main market' and Onitsha needs an 'Enugu polo park' it only makes both stronger and more competitive.

You are right.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 7:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
Meanwhile,my post was titled: *How to Build a Beautiful City in 5years* NOT
*South East Must Build a City in 5years*
See my fellow men are panicking already. gringringrin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 7:28pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

You are 100% correct!
Those that are putting up all these "artist impression" NOT REAL actually built cities, are just talking without thinking.

Abagworo summed it by saying it will not be feasible to lay out such contruction in Enugu if it were not a federal capital or hold some importance. So that means, he has realized the impracticability of the suggestion for Enugu.

The other guy just loves to spam the thread and post more and more rendition for the sake of it. Without asking himself the critical question why an investor would sink billions of dollars in Lagos or Abuja but not in Enugu. Even an elementary 1 pupil knows the answer! They are federal capitals and commercial centers of Nigeria!

Anyway,he self confessed to have been educated in the north. No wonder.
Try reasoning with Shekau grin

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 7:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
This thread is becoming more interesting, with great ideas from great minds. Imagine the potential of an independent state of Biafra. It's ideas of this sort that strengthen my faith in Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 7:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

I agree, I am also against unchecked anything, especially when it comes to cities or town planning.

There are only two options, either build up, or across/out. I'm not advocating an ugly sprawl and incohesive development either. London is one city that regenerates areas across itself and outwards at a steady, planned pace. At the same time there is investment and development in transport. The key is to create a situation where people are not really disadvataged to any unbearable length, by living on the outskirts, because there is more than one centre both within and outside the dominant centre.

There is not just one dominant administration, but many local authorities that are equipped and knowledgeable about specific needs of their locality, but also the collective/wider need and vision. I agree that ALL cities town of the SE should be developed with this in mind.

If we can think collectively, we can act in a manner that supports our population, commerce and industries in each state that make up the REGION.

But, will our political and economic leaders come to together for long enough to see the bigger picture though, or will it degenerate into the usual egotistical clashes of "my state versus your state" ?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 7:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
To avoid derailing, i am going to be posting more of my best collections of Enugu city. Enugu is a city a so proud of after Calabar and Abuja. grin

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 7:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

You are 100% correct!
Those that are putting up all these "artist impression" NOT REAL actually built cities, are just talking without thinking.

Abagworo summed it by saying it will not be feasible to lay out such contruction in Enugu if it were not a federal capital or hold some importance. So that means, he has realized the impracticability of the suggestion for Enugu.

The other guy just loves to spam the thread and post more and more rendition for the sake of it. Without asking himself the critical question why an investor would sink billions of dollars in Lagos or Abuja but not in Enugu. Even an elementary 1 pupil knows the answer! They are federal capitals and commercial centers of Nigeria!

Anyway,he self confessed to have been educated in the north. No wonder.
Try reasoning with Shekau grin

that 'status' doesn't matter

Lagos and Abuja have the best infrastructure in the country, THAT'S why they get investments. Nobody cares about status of a city, it's about the money you can make in that city and if you're paying double because of bad roads, no water, no power, no security etc it can crush your business. If Enugu did something as simple as focus on 24/7 power, there would be no need for building these fake eko atlantics and so forth. The city it's self will turn into an eko atlantic.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 7:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
londoner:

The key is to create a situation where people are not really disadvataged to any unbearable length, by living on the outskirts, because there is more than one centre both within and outside the dominant centre. I agree that ALL cities town of the SE should be developed with this in mind. If we can think collectively, we can act in a manner that supports our population, commerce and industries in each state that make up the REGION.

EXACTLY!
One disastrous thing we learnt in Nigeria is the "Capital city" mentality, whereby the madness is to create a mega capital city,while the rest of the towns in the country is ugly and neglected. Such policies are the reasons why there had been so much problems in Nigeria.

In the USA, there is a minimum city code whereby evey state must abide. Thus their cities are almost of the same basic standard.
BTW, Washington DC is not the finest nor biggest city in the country. In Nigeria, wherever is named the capital gets all the preferential treatments to be the best.While the rest of the country is crappy.
The One city state or country is the worst approach ever!

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 7:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
Bishop42: To avoid derailing, i am going to be posting more of my best collections of Enugu city. Enugu is a city a so proud of after Calabar and Abuja. grin

Okay cool. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 7:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
cjrane:

EXACTLY!
One disastrous thing we learnt in Nigeria is the "Capital city" mentality, whereby the madness is to create a mega capital city,while the rest of the towns in the country is ugly and neglected. Such policies are the reasons why there had been so much problems in Nigeria.

In the USA, there is a minimum city code whereby evey state must abide. Thus their cities are almost of the same basic standard.
BTW, Washington DC is not the finest nor biggest city in the country. In Nigeria, wherever is named the capital gets all the preferential treatments to be the best.While the rest of the country is crappy.
The One city state or country is the worst approach ever!

Exactly!!!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 8:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikengawo:

that 'status' doesn't matter

Lagos and Abuja have the best infrastructure in the country, THAT'S why they get investments. Nobody cares about status of a city, it's about the money you can make in that city and if you're paying double because of bad roads, no water, no power, no security etc it can crush your business. If Enugu did something as simple as focus on 24/7 power, there would be no need for building these fake eko atlantics and so forth. The city it's self will turn into an eko atlantic.

Yes, status does matter.
The only way to get around that is to decentralize the powers of the FG.
For example, if Akwa Ibom builds an international airport, they only need to convince major airlines to fly the route and not FG. In the case of Nigeria,the FG micro-manages everything, so they will block international access to Uyo, even if it is a viable route. No matter what is built in Uyo, investors will still troop to Abuja and Lagos!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (698) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.