Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (259) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1788619 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bishop42: 8:41am On Sep 17, 2014
CFCfan:
The model looks nice, but I'm not sure Abuja needs another stadium. Or will it be a football-specific stadium?

I guess so considering it is a private sector project.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chidekings(m): 8:45am On Sep 17, 2014
tandj: Enugu to say d truth is very slow in development. The neboring towns r still very locals.
The major express linking enugu to other states r supposed to have embraced serious change.
From enugu to 9th mile is still d same year in year out.
Once u come out of enugu metro going towards ph, no change whatsoever.

I won't sugarcoat it, in all my yrs of being in d east, enugu is still d same old enugu as we usually call it, no difference.

Housing estates doesn't make a city develop fast.

Even good roads.

Let d govt provide a money driven investment that will draw both human and capital flight to enugu eg,
Btw enugu and 9th mile, bring down ogbete but a modernised one there. Why I said oghete is because all d traders there won't hv choice but to relocate.
Level out d old ogbete.

On its own, we will see d invisible hand control d economy of that great city.

It will attract mega industries, housing, what hv u and everybody will benefit.

Onitsha did it when they annexed mgbuka obosi,those that sell tyres and some others things to mkpor and we saw what happened.

At times, its always good to face reality and do practical projects to benefit d masses.

Think outside d box, that way we will move forward.

(In a rush, would hv harnessed this in a better way, the tot just came)

hope u were not high on some cheap weed when u posted this.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Bim42: 9:08am On Sep 17, 2014
Nnewi1stSon: Those two groups are utterly useless! What good can come from a Gov's Forum run by an Imbecillic M0Ron as Orji? Ohanaeze is more interested in flying to Abuja every week to sell Igbos out to Jonathan!

Would you rather want them to sell us out to Almajiri Peoples Congress(APC)? grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by LasGidiOwner: 9:16am On Sep 17, 2014
That is the problem I have with some of you guys here. This is no longer regional government operations. These are federating units. You want economies or industries developed in other SE states to locate their head office in Enugu? Rivers developed its state with what it has- OIL. Delta State is developing itself with what is has- OIL. Anambra is presently developing OIL resources and first indigenous private refinery and after doing that you want the state to relocate the headquarters of Orient Petroleum from Awka to your state? Or Delta State relocate its own also, assuming they are part of Eastern states? It will not work. What has Enugu State done so far to develop its own resources and then site its head office within itself?

Every state is presently on its own and should develop at its own pace. It is high time Enugu state leaders start thinking straight to develop their state economically, to make it viable and self sustaining without having to have the same old mindset of the old "regional system of governance" because it will not work.

We need to start asking questions why the present and past administrations have not been able to develop coal resources and other numerous resources in Enugu state to give the state a broad economic and investment outlook than where poorly paid civil servants reside. I want to see the state government attracting investors to change the economic fortunes of the state for economic good than this "civil servants economic statuesque".

Innovator90:
Great point! I think Enugu when SE is fully developed and functional, will be the corporate hub of the SE region. Where every multinational, manufacturing company, industry with plants, warehouses in Aba, Onitsha, Nnewi, banks and others will have their headquarters at. Same with outreach offices of federal government agencies...someone from SE; whether domiciled, visiting or doing business there should not have to travel to Lagos or Abuja to get something done at a federal office.

Just curious, as I understand it the new Enugu Golf and Centenary City is more residential geared...right? What I was wondering...is there any plan on the horizon for a business district where foreign, national and regional companies can locate their headquarters at...like a modern downtown? Another concern worth mentioning, you mentioned Denver, Denver came to global limelight right after it constructed what is inarguably one of the largest(not busiest) airports in the world...think it's second only to King Fahd Airport in Saudi Arabia, and largest in the U.S. It gave the city fame that it never had. What this Airport did for Denver or in general for Colorado essentially was to generate revenue for the state, create jobs, lure investors..hotels, restaurants, malls/shopping centers, breweries, ,medical centers, real estates, e.t.c. Attract people from all over the world who are not only visiting Colorado for it natural beauty; something that Enugu has also, but more importantly for flight connections... connecting flights out of Denver to other destinations around the world because they have the capacity to house as many aircraft and passengers as they want; this airport is incredibly massive! I don't know of any single airline in the world that doesn't have a primary or connecting flight out or to Denver. I shared this not that I want Enugu to build a massive airport like Denver but for them understand that a functional airport will attract people and investors.

The biggest mistake Enugu government will make is to allow the Federal Aviation to build a mediocre airport. As I have stated before, I'm disappointed with the finish work done at the local wing...way below standard for 2013 and amount appropriated for the remodeling. Spyder880 can do an excellent job judging by his estate projects. This on-going airport must, I repeat, must set itself apart from typical Nigerian mediocre airports. The irony is enormous sum of monies appropriated for these airports doesn't translate to what is built...makes no sense to me. Enugu government need to work closely with the Federal Aviation to ensure this airport is finished to international standard; nothing less or hands off the project to Chime. It doesn't need to be extravagant like Dubai, kuala lumpur aiports but something as simple and functional as most US airports. Can fellow Igbos in the house agree with me that we need to set precedent for this in Nigeria with Enugu? Enugu International Airport holds the gate way to the future of Enugu and SE; the government must seize on it now or never! Expand it for cargo capability, flight connection, aircraft hangers for airlines; the latter is something most Nigerian airports lack in quantity and many will seize on it . Airport doesn't cater to passengers alone but also for the airline industry. An airline that knows that an airport has an existing facility for its staff and aircraft, will be more keen to be based in that city. Most US airlines have presence....corporate offices and huge workforce in Atlanta and Denver. Why? Because It cuts operating and logistical costs for them since these airports already have existing accommodation for them...logistics, hangers and more.

Achieving this will attract more Igbos in diaspora who love Enugu and would like to visit more and invest. For me and as with my close friends, though we didn't grow up in Enugu, we share similar sentiments that Enugu has this special international character and flair to it that attracts people in Diaspora more to it than other metros in Nigeria...it's quiet, clean, functional, orderly, lively/things to do, people are nice;approachable, jovial, great nightlife, great road network, I can drive comfortably as the roads are well marked, road sign posts, traffic lights work like I'm in the US, and many more. Not as busy or rowdy like Abuja, Port harcourt or Lagos, especially for people who are just wanting to relax, unwind, invest and need no unnecessary disturbance.

We are getting there. Igbo Knewu!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 9:59am On Sep 17, 2014
Handsomegod: Great insightful contributions all through. First,who said Enugu cannot have a boulevard filled with high rise sky scrapers in Okpara Avenue which is our CBD? Enugu as a prime city needs the balance and I know it will come to that in due time. Talking about developing our clusters of emerging cities,it is suprising that no one spoke about the role a seaport will play in imploding the promising economy of d South East! Already,all the micro-indicators(thriving middle class,massive pool of entrepreneurs,innovators,educated populace,large markets and a very mobile population,to name but a few) are evident and waiting to be tapped. Igbo land of today is akin to the American society during the mercantile era.My point is that a seaport will be a critical catalyst to the boom we all desire and until the unity of purpose exhibited in this forum is translated into reality.......The slavation of Igboland can only come from Igboland.Nigeria is our cancer!

One cannot underestimate the importance of seaports and international airports in the economic development of Igbo land.
However, I refuse to concede the validity of the argument that it is a condition precedent.

I lived and worked in Nnewi after my college. Then Nnewi was an emerging industrial and economic hub of Nigeria. A lot of factories were been established, like G. O .D Group of Companies, Ibeto , Curtis Wires, Life Vegetable Oil and a host of others. Did those brave Nnewi guys wait for seaport or international airport before establishing the multi billion naira companies? No.

There's nothing we cannot achieve economically in Igbo land even in the absence of both amenities. We only want to justify the stupidity of leaving our land desolate, to go and develop the land of people who hate us. Today we are paying the price and would pay more in the future.

The reason international airport and seaport still top our agenda for economic and social development is because we still depend so much on importation of consumable goods.

How many seaports are in Ogun and Kano states, yet our brothers establish all manner of industries there.

Our problem is predominantly that of lack of faith in our God given potentials and self hate. By self hate I mean hating our own brothers. Everyone rushes out of Igbo land, thinking everyone is smart, but everyone is plain stupid at the long run.

Yes, airports and seaports are important but we can do without them.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 10:06am On Sep 17, 2014
Bim42:

Would you rather want them to sell us out to Almajiri Peoples Congress(APC)? grin

You sound like one of thembrainwashed Igbos that have no love for her fatherland. Ohanaeze is useless. The only group that made some noticeable move to me is BZM. Igbos should never sell themselves to anybody whether Jonathan or APC.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 10:16am On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane:

EXACTLY!
One disastrous thing we learnt in Nigeria is the "Capital city" mentality, whereby the madness is to create a mega capital city,while the rest of the towns in the country is ugly and neglected. Such policies are the reasons why there had been so much problems in Nigeria.

In the USA, there is a minimum city code whereby evey state must abide. Thus their cities are almost of the same basic standard.
BTW, Washington DC is not the finest nor biggest city in the country. In Nigeria, wherever is named the capital gets all the preferential treatments to be the best.While the rest of the country is crappy.
The One city state or country is the worst approach ever!

Lol. You know us nah. I live in Lagos or Abuja syndrome, even when the guy sleeps under the bridge.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 12:39pm On Sep 17, 2014
biafrandream:

One cannot underestimate the importance of seaports and international airports in the economic development of Igbo land.
However, I refuse to concede the validity of the argument that it is a condition precedent.

I lived and worked in Nnewi after my college. Then Nnewi was an emerging industrial and economic hub of Nigeria. A lot of factories were been established, like G. O .D Group of Companies, Ibeto , Curtis Wires, Life Vegetable Oil and a host of others. Did those brave Nnewi guys wait for seaport or international airport before establishing the multi billion naira companies? No.

There's nothing we cannot achieve economically in Igbo land even in the absence of both amenities. We only want to justify the stupidity of leaving our land desolate, to go and develop the land of people who hate us. Today we are paying the price and would pay more in the future.

The reason international airport and seaport still top our agenda for economic and social development is because we still depend so much on importation of consumable goods.

How many seaports are in Ogun and Kano states, yet our brothers establish all manner of industries there.

Our problem is predominantly that of lack of faith in our God given potentials and self hate. By self hate I mean hating our own brothers. Everyone rushes out of Igbo land, thinking everyone is smart, but everyone is plain stupid at the long run.

Yes, airports and seaports are important but we can do without them.

For a modern economy you cannot do without airport and seaport. Yes Nnewi and surrounding are trying in the Nigeria context of very low industrial base but it is still very nascent with products limited to local consumption thus a limited value chain with low employment and tax base. Airports and seaports add to increase the pace if industrialization as goods made say in nnewi are shipped all over the country and subregion at competitive prices and time.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 1:01pm On Sep 17, 2014
LasGidiOwner: That is the problem I have with some of you guys here. This is no longer regional government operations. These are federating units. You want economies or industries developed in other SE states to locate their head office in Enugu? Rivers developed its state with what it has- OIL. Delta State is developing itself with what is has- OIL. Anambra is presently developing OIL resources and first indigenous private refinery and after doing that you want the state to relocate the headquarters of Orient Petroleum from Awka to your state? Or Delta State relocate its own also, assuming they are part of Eastern states? It will not work. What has Enugu State done so far to develop its own resources and then site its head office within itself?

Every state is presently on its own and should develop at its own pace. It is high time Enugu state leaders start thinking straight to develop their state economically, to make it viable and self sustaining without having to have the same old mindset of the old "regional system of governance" because it will not work.

We need to start asking questions why the present and past administrations have not been able to develop coal resources and other numerous resources in Enugu state to give the state a broad economic and investment outlook than where poorly paid civil servants reside. I want to see the state government attracting investors to change the economic fortunes of the state for economic good than this "civil servants economic statuesque".

I think its a bit of a stretch to think that the idea that a state government developing an industry is a good thing because it is not. Which investor would like to compete with the state government.
Secondly companies locate their offices based several factors least of which is primordial because companies are businesses not charities.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
kmariko:

For a modern economy you cannot do without airport and seaport. Yes Nnewi and surrounding are trying in the Nigeria context of very low industrial base but it is still very nascent with products limited to local consumption thus a limited value chain with low employment and tax base. Airports and seaports add to increase the pace if industrialization as goods made say in nnewi are shipped all over the country and subregion at competitive prices and time.

You absolutely can not do without an airport , but you DO NOT NEED A SEAPORT.

I can list 100 countries without seaports that have built great economies. In USA, Canada,Brazil,Japan, South Africa, China etc, there are plethora of key economic and industrial cities without sea ports. Infact in USA and China, there are huge economic centers without seaports at all.

What you need is a reliable railway link from those cities to the sea.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 1:34pm On Sep 17, 2014
I always tell this pep story to buttress the superior roles of airports over seaports in attracting major investments.

Consider that you are the CEO of a company. Now you want to begin manufacturing in a certain South American country called Colombia. The chances of making it big in Colombia are all very attractive- big economy, close to Brazil,Argentina and Venezuela.

Now you are considering two cities to site your factory.

1. Bogota - The capital city has security because the President lives there. It has an international airport that has direct flights from Enugu,Abuja or Lagos where you live. Also, it has a reliable and railway line to very cheaply haul your goods to the coastal seaport at Buenaventura for export.

2. Buenaventura - Is a regional city in the west coast of colombia with a seaport but no airport at all.
In order to get to Buenaventura an area teaming with separatist insurgents who are protesting for a fair share of the natural resource from the Central government, you have to first land in the capital Bogota, then take a 12 hours bus travel to Buenaventura.
Your bus must pass through two states Quindio and Tolima which have a very high rate of highway armed robberies, kidnapping of foreigners for ransom and the corrupt Colombian Policemen on many roads blocks that could easily shoot you if you didn't pay them the bribes they demand.

This example is a true life scenario for these two cities in Colombia.
Those who have visited that country can attest to this. I have not made anything up.

Knowing the above, where would you site your factory in Colombia?

Is there any surprise then that most of Colombia's economic activities happen in their capital-Bogota, which is landlocked?

If you substitute the name Bogota for Abuja and Buenaventura for Yenagoa, you could very well be talking about Nigeria.! So the advantages of airports to attracting investments are a worldwide phenomenon.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ikengawo: 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2014
centje: ah! My dear you seem to miss something. Investors follow the government. What that means is that government's policies, commitment to providing basic amenities, including security lures investors. The idea of decentralising power is bourne out of repeated failure of the federal govt to put into good use the exclusive powers at its disposal, state government is closer to the people and appear to be doing better hence the agitation for more power to the states. A smart and honest governor can easily utilize such power to create enabling environment that will make investors want to invest in his state.
Take a look at the Aba and Onitsha you mentioned,...Time after time, many posters here have expressed disappointment with the way our governors handle Aba and Onitsha. We all know that if visionary governors should re-position those two cities, trust me, Aba and Onitsha will be mentioned at international level along side lagos. But they remain at the level they are, since there's no strong government commitment.

New York has 0 federal presence, and Washington DC is 100% federal presence. You can't compare NY to DC.
The difference is with Nigeria the government was in Lagos because that's where the economy was, afterwards they went to Abuja but you can't say that Abuja's superior federal and government presence has made it more economically viable than Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kmariko: 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane:

I can list 100 countries without seaports that have built great economies. In USA, Canada,Brazil,Japan, South Africa, China etc, there are plethora of key economic and industrial cities without sea ports. Infact in USA and China, there are huge economic centers without seaports at all.

Sorry should have read Airport OR seaport
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
Ikengawo:

New York has 0 federal presence, and Washington DC is 100% federal presence. You can't compare NY to DC.
The difference is with Nigeria the government was in Lagos because that's where the economy was, afterwards they went to Abuja but you can't say that Abuja's superior federal and government presence has made it more economically viable than Lagos.

I think making an overly simplistic direct comparison of America's Federal Government to Nigeria's Federal Government without considering the realities of Nigeria will make you miss the point.

In USA, the federal government resources are from royalties,taxes and specific federal investments. The states are free to use whatever resource they have within their states to fund their budgets. If Rivers state or Akwaibom were part of the USA, they should and will be more developed than anywhere else in Nigeria.

In Nigeria, the Federal government collects 100% of the states' resources and only recently it began to give back only 13% for mineral wealth mined to the states that own the wealth. The taxes are collected centrally and only a minute fraction is disbursed to the state. Key infrastructure projects in any state such a refinery, power plants, trunk-A road bridges or flyovers etc must have exclusive permission from the central government to happen, and the permission can be withdrawn anytime by the FG before any state can do it. In the light of the realities of Nigeria's unitary system of government, of course any state that hosts the FG will have the benefit of encumbering funds derived from other areas for it's development.Add this to the fact that Nigeria is a highly tribalistic place where the capital will of course be sited in the preferred areas of the country and whoever controls the FG will use the opportunity of the flawed system to develop his area at the expense of the other places in the country.

Abuja is a shining example of this unjust system. A thick bush was converted into a shining city within a space of 15 years, yet places like Warri, PH Oron, Eket until recently had remained isolated sorry places without good roads,electricity nor pipe borne water for decades.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
kmariko:

Sorry should have read Airport OR seaport

I missed it. Sorry Sir!

Now i get your point.Yes both are very important but I still think functional international airports before the seaport.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 3:05pm On Sep 17, 2014
kmariko:

@Chief Kmariko.Thanks a lot for your input.I was about responding to our brother when I saw your response. Currently,what we see are pockets of individual entreprenueria and corporate excellence.A seaport will open up the untapped drive in the millions of micro units littered all over the southeast and be an added motivation for these medium and micro units to expand their operational capacities and give exportation a big shot! While a seaport will not be a universal panacea to all our socio-economic challenges,its impact is still critical to our comprehensive development more so when you consider the total cost of depending on APapa and Tincan over the years.I wish us well!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane:

^^^Even nearer home here in Africa, we have good examples with Botswana and Rwanda; both landlocked and lacking seaports yet are doing quite well in many developmental indices!

What we need is for the governors of the 5 South East (SE) states to meet with their South South (SS) colleagues (like Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River) and move from the level of will-do-will-do by setting the ball in motion for the construction of a high-speed rail line linking state capitals and other major cities in the SE with those in the SS! We would need something in the neighbourhood of 5 billion dollars for this, and the finance can be part-sourced from the stock market! A functional and efficient high-speed rail line can pay for itself within 8 to 10 years, and can also serve as a catalyst for other economic activities like tourism, commerce, hospitality/conference hosting, and feeder industries (like stock/track maintenance, catering, station retailing, ticketing supplies/management, ticket/revenue inspection, advertisement on trains/stations, etc-etc-etc); also, from the aforementioned it's clear that employment figures will also be positively impacted!

This was why i wanted an egg-head like Soludo to join the SS/SE Governors club; so he could bring in some bold ideas and initiatives!

We need to take a gamble and think outside the box for a change, and turn the SE economy into a multi-billion dollar one within say the next 5 to 8 years, and make it a safe and comfortable destination for all.....tourists and investors alike!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Even nearer home here in Africa, we have good examples with Botswana and Rwanda; both landlocked and lacking seaports yet are doing quite well in many developmental indices!

What we need is for the governors of the 5 South East (SE) states to meet with their South South (SS) colleagues (like Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River) and move from the level of will-do-will-do by setting the ball in motion for the construction of a high-speed rail line linking state capitals and other major cities in the SE with those in the SS! We would need something in the neighbourhood of 5 billion dollars for this, and the finance can be part-sourced from the stock market! A functional and efficient high-speed rail line can pay for itself within 8 to 10 years, and can also serve as a catalyst for other economic activities like tourism, commerce, hospitality/conference hosting, and feeder industries (like stock/track maintenance, catering, station retailing, ticketing supplies/management, ticket/revenue inspection, advertisement on trains/stations, etc-etc-etc); also, from the aforementioned it's clear that employment figures will also be positively impacted!

This was why i wanted an egg-head like Soludo to join the SS/SE Governors club; so he could bring in some bold ideas and initiatives!

We need to take a gamble and think outside the box for a change, and turn the SE economy into a multi-billion dollar one within say the next 5 to 8 years, and make it a safe and comfortable destination for all.....tourists and investors alike!

Same here, I was disappointed when Soludo did not win. He is an asset to the south east.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Abagworo(m): 3:53pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880:

Same here, I was disappointed when Soludo did not win. He is an asset to the south east.

For Southeast or Igbo Governors to work together, there must be a link. It does not take a soothsayer to know that if Ngige had emerged Anambra Governor, he would have worked together with Okorocha not because of Igbo interest but because they are friends. The Igbo man has an independent mentality and believes in absolute division and not amalgamation. Even within States, people clamour for zoning and within the zones people still clamour for sub-zoning.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 4:03pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880:

^^^Obiano seems to have started well though! I just hope this isn't the initial gra-gra most new governors are known for; and that his enthusiasm for the job is maintained at these same performance levels! He's done ok with security. Now i'd expect that the economic blueprint he has for the state is already being implemented; we should have some feelers as to where the state is heading after his first year in office!

I want to see much more from Anambra than the usual building of roads (though i wouldn't mind if more urban roads are built in the inner streets of Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi).....the usual donation of security gadgets and APC vehicles to state police commands; the usual buying of computers for schools; the usual renovation of classroom blocks and rural clinics; the usual donation of keke-nape, sewing machines and block-making equipment to 'alleviate' poverty and unemployment; the usual giving of small grants for business start-ups! All these (though commendable) have become the hallmark of governance in our states today! I want to see a whole lot more from Obiano in Anambra! He's done well thus far, but like Oliver Twist.....i want some more sir!

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:16pm On Sep 17, 2014
A project is going to keep me away from Enugu for some time, but whenever I come in, weekends maybe, I will supply more Enugu pictures, more pictures coming today.

See link....https://www.nairaland.com/1907636/port-harcourt-luxury-flats

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:19pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880: A project is going to keep me away from Enugu for some time, but whenever I come in, weekends maybe, I will supply more Enugu pictures, more pictures coming today.

See link....https://www.nairaland.com/1907636/port-harcourt-luxury-flats

No wahala Bro.

Go and make the money first.

When you get back, you will have enough money to run around and support this thread with latest new pictures from Enugu.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^Obiano seems to have started well though! I just hope this isn't the initial gra-gra most new governors are known for; and that his enthusiasm for the job is maintained at these same performance levels! He's done ok with security. Now i'd expect that the economic blueprint he has for the state is already being implemented; we should have some feelers as to where the state is heading after his first year in office!

I want to see much more from Anambra than the usual building of roads (though i wouldn't mind if more urban roads are built in the inner streets of Onitsha, Awka and Nnewi).....the usual donation of security gadgets and APC vehicles to state police commands; the usual buying of computers for schools; the usual renovation of classroom blocks and rural clinics; the usual donation of keke-nape, sewing machines and block-making equipment to 'alleviate' poverty and unemployment; the usual giving of small grants for business start-ups! All these (though commendable) have become the hallmark of governance in our states today! I want to see a whole lot more from Obiano in Anambra! He's done well thus far, but like Oliver Twist.....i want some more sir!

Abeg,
What happened to the Anambra Malls at Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka?
Why the dearth of activities there since Peter Obi left?
Is Obiano having second thoughts about these key programs the people desperately want to see completed and commissioned?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oneeast: 4:37pm On Sep 17, 2014
Cj minister of misinformation. cheesy

The 3 malls are all ongoing including the 5 start Agulu Lake Resort and Onitsha Resort. I will be going on my annual leave next week, I will go round the 3 cities and get current pix of all the projects. When I passed the site of Awka mall last month I saw serious construction work ongoing though I didn't pull over!

cjrane:

Abeg,
What happened to the Anambra Malls at Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka?
Why the dearth of activities there since Peter Obi left?
Is Obiano having second thoughts about these key programs the people desperately want to see completed and commissioned?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:42pm On Sep 17, 2014
oneeast: Cj minister of misinformation. cheesy

The 3 malls are all ongoing including the 5 start Agulu Lake Resort and Onitsha Resort. I am going on annual leave next week, I will go round the 3 cities and get current pix of all the projects. When I passed the site of Awka mall last month I saw serious construction work ongoing though I didn't pull over!

Bros, believe me: I AM VERY HAPPY TO HEAR THAT.
Obiano should hasten the pace and complete those key projects. Has he broken ground at the Nnewi site?

I want Anambra malls to be completed quickly, Abia Malls to be completed and perhaps Rochas will have some pity and build a real mall in Owerri too.
Who knows, Abakaliki may get one if the people there press their governor to tow the line of providing modern shopping and entertainment mall in the city.

Bia Chino, Ihe a burukwa eziokwu ! shocked
Biko, post picshures soon o! So that I'm not dancing limpopo for nothing grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2014
Some works

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 4:47pm On Sep 17, 2014
spyder880: Some works

Which bridge is this?

On Abakaliki road towards the airport?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oneeast: 5:00pm On Sep 17, 2014
Cj, I am not bluffing we shall start shopping realtime in those 3 malls in the next 7months time or less from now.

On the heels of his first 100 days in office and in furtherance of the objective of continuity, completion, commissioning and commencement of new projects, the Governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano has embarked on inspection tour of projects in parts of Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi with a view to improving infrastructure across the state.

The three strategic cities of the state were agog as Governor Obiano inspected ongoing projects and commenced new ones. The governor gave the contractors handling the various projects including the three shopping malls in Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi a maximum of 10 months deadline to complete the job.

The projects sites include, the Onitsha shopping mall, which houses mega projects like international hotel, shopping mall and a convention centre and has a capacity to accommodate 5,000 persons. The premises houses Radison Blue, an adjoining hotel project, which is planned as the first world class hospitality spot in Onitsha.

Speaking soon after inspecting the projects, Governor Obiano said that he had extracted commitment from the contractor handling the projects that they would be completed in 10 months’ time
, adding that a wide expanse of roads would link the three projects. He stated that the projects would have been ready in three months but for the shoddy performance of the previous contractor, which led to the revocation of the contract and generation of certificates and full mobilisation of the new contractor.

Engr. Emejulu, CEO of Akiota Works Limited to take over and deliver the projects on time.

According to Obiano “we are going to bring to the State a new shopping experience quite different to the business environment they are used to. The event centre will attract functions from neighbouring States in particular.” Giving further assurance, the Governor said “the entire place will be very important in South-East zone. We have 40 apartment buildings coming up. I thank my predecessor, for having the vision to start the project and we are definitely going to complete it in a record time.”

Speaking to newsmen, the contractor, Engr. Emejulu said that the original plan of the contract was to have about 90 rooms, but following adjustments made by authorities of Radisson Blue, the number of rooms increased to 150 rooms. He said the project was at the 7th floor stage, assuring that the job would be ready in January, 2014, as according to him, government had shown enough zeal to carry out the projects and fully mobilized his firm for the contract as agreed.

Governor Willie Obiano was and received by equally enthusiastic residents and traders at Nnewi as he stormed the Shoprite Centre located at the former Nkwo-Nnewi Triangle where he appreciated the pioneering business wizardly of the indigenes of the area led by the late Sir Louis Philip Odumegwu-Ojukwu, whom he recalled was so successful in business that when the Queen of England visited Nigeria many decades ago, he offered the Federal government his personal Rolls Royce Car to chauffer her.

The Governor told the contracting firm, traders, residents and natives that he came on an inspection visit to assess the ongoing work, noting that “what we are constructing here is unprecedented. We don’t have this type of Mall anywhere. The car park is on top of the Mall, It is a befitting edifice to support the business acumen of Nnewi people”

Continued the governor: “Nnewi people are enterprising. We are giving them a Mall so that they can have a befitting business experience. The building will be completed by December this year while business will commence in April 2015. Governor Obiano assured that the road around the site would be dualized in anticipation of an increase in traffic, expressing confidence that the premises would take any number of vehicle given the fact that vehicles would be parked on top of the project while cultural activities of the people would also take place on top of the project.

Governor Obiano called on the people to support the All Progressives Grand Alliance and his government, the governor assured that he would continue with the projects started by his predecessor n the spirit of continuity, stressing that the “we are trying to introduce some other ways of doing business in a comfortable atmosphere,” adding that his administration was highlighting security one of its enablers for which the Operation Nkpochapu had been moved to Nnewi and fully mobilized for operations.

Speaking while receiving the Governor the Nnewi North Local Government Chairman, Chief Emeka Ojukwu junior thank him for coming to Nnewi to ensure that projects are going according to plan and assured that the local Government and the people are delighted with his stewardship and development projects. http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=72703

Cj, I am not bluffing we shall start shopping realtime in those 3 malls in the next 7months time or less from now.

cjrane:

Obiano should hasten the pace and complete those key projects. Has he broken ground at the Nnewi site?

I want Anambra malls to be completed quickly, Abia Malls to be completed and perhaps Rochas will have some pity and build a real mall in Owerri too.
Who knows, Abakaliki may get one if the people there press their governor to tow the line of providing modern shopping and entertainment mall in the city.

Biko, post picshures soon o! So that I'm not dancing limpopo for nothing grin grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2014
oneeast: Cj, I am not bluffing we shall start shopping realtime in those 3 malls in the next 7months time or less from now.

I read this story at Obiano's 100 days in office: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=72703

Now it is 6 months in office, so something should be available since the last time abi?

i want to be optimistic and believe the 7 months timeline for completion.

Once I see those malls completed and shining, I will make special postcards of them and paint NL with "Anambra OOOOOOOni Baje ooo! written on my postcards grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 5:06pm On Sep 17, 2014
one can only believe chino when he actually posts pics not all these 'i passed there and i saw massive construction','i will get you thepics' stories
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Handsomegod(m): 5:07pm On Sep 17, 2014
cjrane:

@CJ looolzzz@limpopo! @Spyder! Remember ur promise o! Kindly find time out of ur busy schedule and create the Anambra thread so we can launch it officially with Chino's expected pics of projectws in our Omambala cities. Enugu thread is a moving train and the trendiest topic on NL! Time to divest the brainstorming and mutual jabs. @Chino,endeavour to get close and clear pics so we can better disect the quality of work done on them.Interestingly,the PR team of 2 south eastern states(names withheld) are ardent followers of this thread since men started discussing ingrated and inclusive regional development plans for alaigbo. By d way,there was a certain enignmatic dude known as" smartalk" who created a series titled "preparing the east for post-nigeria future" and he captured all we have been discussing here even to the point of philosophical foundations of the future igbo land.d dude was so on point and I wish he will jump in as well.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by oneeast: 5:09pm On Sep 17, 2014
What are you talking about? This report was in July precisely 18th. Go through the report, that was when he extracted from the contractors to complete the project within 10months and this is September.

cjrane:

I read this story at Obiano's 100 days in office: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=72703

Now it is 6 months in office, so something should be available since the last time abi?

i want to be optimistic and believe the 7 months timeline for completion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) (262) ... (698) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.