Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,630 members, 7,955,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:11 PM

4Play's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 4Play's Profile / 4Play's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (of 278 pages)

Travel / Re: Caleb Obari-Mark, Missing Nigerian Student In Ukraine: Parents Cry Out by 4Play(m): 8:22am On Aug 27, 2020
magicminister:
STOP MESSING WITH WHITE PEOPLE!!!!
IF YOU WERE AMONG YOUR BLACK BROTHERS AND SISTERS, THIS WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED!!!

I hope he is found alive and this is just one really bad hang over!

We all have to rally in support of this young man.
Please add him in your prayers and to Nigerians in Ukraine, please any one that knows something should say something!!

WE ALL HAVE TO LOOK AFTER ONE ANOTHER IN THIS WORLD THAT HATES US SO MUCH FOR OUR SKIN COLOUR!

So there are no disappearances in Nigeria? In Ukraine, white Ukrainians also go missing or get killed and it doesn't get resolved.

The problem is that countries like Ukraine and Nigeria have governments and societies that don't function properly. So it's a risk that comes with living in such dysfunctional places.

We just have to pressure on our government to put pressure on the Ukrainian government to look into this.

2 Likes

Foreign Affairs / Re: China Fires 'Aircraft-Karrier Killer' Missile In Warning To US by 4Play(m): 7:21am On Aug 27, 2020
post=93268006:
Lol.. which Nigeria go still fire na.. grin

Corruption
Religion / Re: Israel Appoints T.B Joshua As Ambassador Of Tourism by 4Play(m): 2:20pm On Aug 24, 2020
remsonik:
Hmmmmm, yet the man is not a true servant of God here.

He generates tourism revenue for Israel through promoting pilgrimage to Israel.

3 Likes 1 Share

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 9:01pm On Aug 19, 2020
Has anyone looked at MercadoLibre (MELI)? It's a strong e-commerce company in Argentina and one can think of it as the Amazon of Latin America.

It has already enjoyed strong price appreciation this year - 109% year to date - so pullback or consolidation is probable in the short run but it's a stock that seems to offer a lot of future growth.

MercadoLibre, Inc. operates online commerce platforms in Latin America. It operates MercadoLibre Marketplace, an automated online commerce platform that enables businesses and individuals to list merchandise and conduct sales and purchases online; and MercadoPago FinTech, a financial technology solution platform, which facilitates transactions on and off its marketplaces by providing a mechanism that allows its users to send and receive payments online, and allows merchants to process transactions via their Websites and mobile apps, as well as in their brick-and-mortar stores through QR and mobile points of sale.

https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/meli/
Politics / Re: Akwa Ibom Rejects NBS Unemployment Report And May Sue NBS.. by 4Play(m): 11:55am On Aug 16, 2020
NaijaDonCast:
Atleast there a lot of traders there in Anambra making it big in business and so reduce the rate of jobless and hunger striked individuals

Who do those traders sell to? If everyone troops to Anambra to purchase things, it will make sense but that's not really the case. And why would Anambra have a third of the unemployment level of its next door neighbour Imo state? The people of Imo will just relocate to Anambra.

NBS stats are not really plausible when you think of it. Remember they also say that unemployment has barely increased in Nigeria since 2018 even with the coronavirus lockdown. Like everything government run in Nigeria, it's an incompetent organisation.

PS: 1 advantage Anambra has is that its diaspora (within and outside Nigeria) remit money back home keeping things like building/construction going. But that's not enough to make its unemployment rate significantly lower than other states in southern Nigeria.
Politics / Re: Akwa Ibom Rejects NBS Unemployment Report And May Sue NBS.. by 4Play(m): 11:34am On Aug 16, 2020
NaijaDonCast:
I live all my life in Akwa Ibom apart from when I went for service, I want to tell you NBS are 80% correct in some Local government like they one I'm currently in the only major means of survival is bricklaying work, followed by Bet9ja employees and underpayed secondary school teaching job of about 7 to 15k salary every month, while the major rich guys are politics inclined personnel parading all over Uyo with different tinted Toyota spider

You write this as if people are gainfully employed in the rest of Nigeria. If you lived in Oyo, Anambra, Nasarawa, Benue, etc, you will also see the same phenomenon.

NBS stats are rubbish because they show inexplicable variance between states that should have similar unemployment rates. If Anambra truly had the lowest unemployment rate (13% I think) in Nigeria as NBS claims, people will start migrating to Anambra.
Travel / Re: Nigeria's Airport Revolution In Pics by 4Play(m): 7:30am On Aug 16, 2020
I understand that many people are paid to post pro-government propaganda but if things are going well for Nigerians, there would be no need for all the propaganda.

99% of Nigerians don't use these airports and operating most cost Nigeria more money than they bring in:

States governments and regional groups are mounting pressure on Federal Government and aviation agencies to reopen airports nationwide, more for political than economic considerations. This comes as the country’s Airports Authority recorded a three-year deficit of N44.39 billion, representing losses incurred in 17 airports nationwide.

Factsheet obtained by The Guardian showed that, except for the trio of Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos, Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja, and Port Harcourt International Airport (PHIA), Omagwa, Rivers State, no other had sufficient revenue to cover operation costs bet

https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigerian-airports-record-n44-billion-loss-in-3-years/

Most likely Enugu would be among the loss making airports if it was open.*

Nigerians are worse off than they were in 2014 and you have these moral degenerates trying to paint a picture of progress by posting pictures of loss making infrastructure that most won't use. If the overall policy environment sucks, no amount of infrastructure projects will improve lives.

*PS: According to the article I cited, Enugu was ahead of PHC and only behind Abuja and Lagos so it's one of only 4 viable airports:

Enugu will pick up because, at a time, it was behind Lagos and Abuja, even ahead of Port Harcourt International Airport.
Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 1:59pm On Aug 15, 2020
seyisanya:
As unbelievable as it may sound, I have made four international travels in the past weeks and I can tell you that all the airlines I travelled with were in full capacity! Same as airports!!. In fact, I'm currently in a country and touristic places are filled to unimaginable capacity. By the way, this is a country still recording daily rise in cases.

Although, I might count myself lucky because the few airline stocks that I have are already more than 60% up because I was able to buy them during March lows. However, I still feel the recovery process for the travel stocks will surprisingly be rapid.

You might fly in a plane, or to a tourist destination, that is at full capacity but US airlines in general have grounded a lot of their planes for the foreseeable future. The problem is getting all their planes flying again, making profits whilst paying down the debts they have added in this period. It's one thing for an industry to get back on its feet, it's quote another for the industry's stock prices to get back to normal.

So again, airlines are good for short-term bounces but I would rather look for other less debt-laden and high-profit margin industries to play the long-term covid economic recovery.

3 Likes

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 1:51pm On Aug 15, 2020
seyisanya:

Perfect! Enough of this indirect talk down on short term wins. If you're an ETF investor, brilliant. If you only invest long-term, fantastic. No one needs to keep sounding like a broken record just to force their strategy down the throat of others.

By the way, I recently sold all my short term positions(at good gains) and move all my funds to long term positions in fundamentally-sound dividend paying stocks(similar set-up that I have adopted in my Nigerian stocks since March) because I just relocated and will be very busy in the coming months.

The fact that I am now 100% long term investor does not imply that I have the best strategy. I still respect and learn from other type of investors. Kudos to bosses like YerYer, OakPearl etc. We are not in any form of competition when it comes to investment, and no one should directly/indirectly make it seem so. Do what works for you and let others do theirs in peace.

Dude, you are emotionally projecting and no one is competing with you. If you only want to read what you agree with, consider logging off the net.

I too do frequent short-term trades but having been trading since 2006, and following the market since the late 90s, I know that long-term investments tend to yield the best returns. Where are the Nigerians on the Forbes list who made their wealth trading stocks?

Here is a thought experiment: get a list of S&P500 stocks close your eyes and blindly select a stock. If you do it 10 times, you will notice that most if not all your selections have gone up since March. This doesn't mean that blindly selecting stocks is a winning strategy but that we just happen to be in a period where many stocks have gone up.

It's one thing making money over a few months/years, doing it over the long-run is another thing altogether and I doubt that anyone here has made a significant amount in short-term trades over a decade or more. There might be one or two exceptions but it's quite rare.

Pointing this out isn't advocating "my strategy" - that's nonsense. It's just highlighting an obvious reality that comes with stocks otherwise many would have given up their jobs to simply live off scalping quick profits off stocks.

People read our posts and are influenced by it. One of my first posts on this thread was a reply to a lady who later went on to buy Chesapeake and start #boycotttrove because she lost money! My message to investors/traders: be wary of thinking short-term trades are sustainable in the long run and consider indexes if you can't afford to lose money.

4 Likes

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 9:34pm On Aug 14, 2020
mXz6:
@4Play @Oakpearl Would $JETS be a good buy for the long term?

I tend to stay clear of the airlines as even when we start flying, they need a return to full capacity to generate decent profits as the airline business is a low profit margin business in the best of times. Airlines have also piled on more debt during this crisis which needs to be paid off. They have had, and may still have again, a short-term relief rally for just surviving but it's a troubled sector.

I would rather buy the KBW for a play on banks' long term recovery. I think they are well capitalised and may have over-provisioned for loan losses that won't materialise.

PS: No opinion on this but I have been looking for an ETF on apparel stocks as people will need to go back to clothes shopping. If you find a good one, let me know!

2 Likes

Jobs/Vacancies / Re: Imo Records Highest Rate Of Unemployment As NBS Releases Statistics by 4Play(m): 5:56pm On Aug 14, 2020
So Imo which is a short drive away from Anambra has more than 3 times the unemployment level in Anambra, surely that will mean that the unemployed in Imo will migrate to Anambra reducing the disparity in unemployment levels.

Remember also that, according to the NBS, the residents of Ebonyi, and indeed the North, are significantly poorer than Imo residents but at the same time are far more likely to be in employment than Imo residents. So an unemployed population (Imo) has less poverty than an employed population (Ebonyi).

NBS stats tend to confound logic, people have actually been paid a lot of money to compile this data!

6 Likes

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2020
OvaSabi1:

Exactly. It's not discouragement, it's reality. There are some days your losses will exceed your gains. There are some years that you will make nothing. This is even for investors who are supposed to have it better. Day traders experience more losses and their eyes dey see pepper. But when they strike gold, their harvests are bountiful.

The best thing to invest in is yourself. Find different hustles and multiple streams of income and then contribute into stocks with strong fundamentals. That is what the rich do. They're off playing golf somewhere and only look at their portfolio like twice a day. That was how they started because it is a habit you need to have early.

I have attached a screenshot showing the average returns of the S&P 500 over more than 1 decade. There are some years that your returns are negative. Few people have been able to outperform the s&p 500. The s&p 500 are 500 of the largest companies in the U.S.

Cc Ehuatamuigunisi

As YerYer pointed out, in this up trending market, most people should be able to make money. There are a couple of problems - one specific to traders here and a more general issue.

Many here seem to trade the extremely volatile stocks promoted by the Naija fintech apps. I suspect those trading these stocks experience more frequent losses than would be the case if you're trading higher quality, but less volatile, stocks.

The second more general, and most important, problem is the long run return on stock investments by retail investors is poor relative to the broad index (e.g S&P 500) returns. This is why I have suggested indexes! In an up trending market, most of us are "gurus". But since we're all, I presume, relatively young and hope to successfully invest for decades, we need to invest (form good investment habits) in a way that will allow us thrive over 10/20/30 years. This is where I fear these overly rose-tinted posts about short-term wins can damage investors' ability to last the distance. People will increasingly be lured into putting their savings into this 5g or EV stock or the other high-tech name and find themselves trapped without warning. It may take months or years but it will eventually happen when we least expect it.

3 Likes

Jobs/Vacancies / Re: NBS: 21.7 Millions Nigerians Now Unemployed by 4Play(m): 9:18am On Aug 14, 2020
According to its Labour Force Statistics report released on Monday, the number of unemployed Nigerians went from 20.93 in 2018 to 21.76 million in the second quarter of 2020.

So since 2018, the number of unemployed people has only increased by fewer than 1 million. This is obviously false, particularly against the backdrop of the covid-19 induced recession, and points to a continuing trend of the NBS massaging statistics to look more palatable.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 9:14pm On Aug 10, 2020
YerYer:
This forum is great. Whoever recommended Plug Power (PLUG) I thank you o. I now work mostly during the day so I'm unable to watch my usual CNBC to get ideas. I bought PLUG on Friday as its been recommended here on this thread and I'm up $1260.

I mentioned PLUG on July 10 and noted that nobody seemed to have brought it up. I did also mention DKNG in the same post which has been dogshit grin To be fair, DKNG popped up after my post and I made a bit from it. I have never bought PLUG though.

Some other short-term plays not mentioned here, pardon me if I have missed it, are Draftking (DKNG) and Plugpower (PLUG). The latter is a lot more risky as it's run quite a bit but it's worth having a look for those who can afford to take the risk.

Has anyone looked at Rent a Centre (RCII)? It's not one of those highfliers but it seems like a decent long-term hold in our austere economic times - it's a company that rents out goods which is great for the cost-conscious. Low PE and high dividend yields are also noteworthy.

Then Kirkland Gold also. Everyone seems to have missed the action on precious metals.

1 Like

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 10:50pm On Aug 09, 2020
Skymoore1004:
It’s funny bc not all companies made loss but they’re tanking. I’m surprised at $DDOG

A lot of these companies have risen so much because investors had sky-high expectations. So even if the company is beating analysts' (not investors) expectations, the stock will still fall because the share price already reflected extremely high expectations.

Many of these tech names are priced to perfection and need to keep producing extraordinary earnings numbers to sustain their rise.

1 Like

Culture / Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by 4Play(m): 8:32am On Aug 02, 2020
I think this debate misses a salient point: Igbos are the Igbo speaking ethnic groups located in the geographical Southeast of Nigeria. Same goes for many ethnic groups including Yoruba.

The idea of referring to one's self as Igbo is a relatively modern phenomenon. 100 or 200 years ago, a person from Awka would state that they are from Awka and won't necessarily describe themselves as Igbo. The idea of a common ethnic identity was a byproduct of the formation of the Nigerian state. People who shared a common language unified to better compete, as they saw it, in the face of burgeoning ethnicity driven rivalries. So whether a person/ group recognises that they are Igbo, it's somewhat neither here nor there as the nomenclatural designation of Igbo is more a linguistic marker than a biological fact.

5 Likes

Crime / Re: Emmanuel Adeniji: Nigerian Man Rapes 73-Year-Old Woman In Ireland by 4Play(m): 10:42pm On Aug 01, 2020
pocohantas:

He most likely started in Nigeria, but since they will ask what she went to do in his house- he carried it and enter plane.

He should find one redpill lawyer. I am sure they can prove beyond reasonable doubt, that it is romance gone bad.

If we channel the energy we spend in Nigeria insulting women who have the temerity to allege rape to inculcating a sense of restraint and the importance of consent in sexual matters, it will go a long way in curtailing sexual violence.

2 Likes

Crime / Re: Canadian Lady Says Men Should Shut Up And Accept False Rape Allegations (pics) by 4Play(m): 12:11pm On Jul 30, 2020
lecturer50:
There is something I need to ask ladies here.

A woman told me that if a male/her boyfriend ask her "Let us have sex", she will be very angry and will leave him.

But if in the process of being together, a man starts removing her cloths even when she refuses, and then sleep with her,

she will love the man more afterwards.

She said women hate to say the word "Yes" whenever a man demands sex.

She said that no woman can ever give her CONSENT if she truly wants to enjoy the sex.

As in, a woman can only enjoy sex if it happens without her CONSENT.

If she says "Yes", it is because she wants something from you like money, job etc in exchange for the sex

But she would not enjoy it.

But for her to enjoy sex, it must be without her consent.

Why then do women shout rape whenever a man sleeps with them without their verbal "CONSENT"?

Please women I need a clarification on this.

I am so confused.

You ask her for sex, she will not like it , but want you to take her without her consent.

You take her without her consent, she says you have raped her.

You sure this "woman" you talked to is not Bobrisky or perhaps a figment of your imagination?

1 Like

Crime / Re: Canadian Lady Says Men Should Shut Up And Accept False Rape Allegations (pics) by 4Play(m): 12:08pm On Jul 30, 2020
Nobody has quite worked out that this is a parody twitter account. Guys here are too busy indulging in fake male victimhood, always looking for evidence that women are going around falsely accusing men.

1 Like

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 9:26pm On Jul 28, 2020
nna777:

That's one of the challenge with day trading or what we call jijo here in naija(very short term play). Most persons here are into the above.

So some are either trapped or in observation mode.

As one can't really time the market, sometimes buying a dip will result in you buying a resistance (exit point) instead of a support(entry point)(Tesla comes to mind).

Even with good results sometimes market plays its own games. Price entry, a whole dose of patience and exit is key if you will succeed both as a trader and an investor.

That is why having basic TA knowledge is very critical especially in a complex market like the US. Combined with the fact that you're trading in a foreign currency. Any loss is much more painful.

In my own opinion,with all that is going on in the US now, observation mode should be activated until the dust settles (apart from the healthcare stocks).

To enjoy long-term success, short-term traders need excellent knowledge of technical analysis and or a knack for pattern recognition.

In a sense, technicals drive the market in the short-term (absent major news event) and fundamentals in the long run. For example, Microsoft's share price growth over a 5 year time frame depends to a large extent on its earnings growth. Its share price move over a week or two is largely dependent on technical analysis (unless a major news event occurs).

Once a major news event occurs (earnings release, regulatory action, covid outbreak etc), the share price move in the short-term is still largely about technicals.

By technicals, you are basically looking at: trends (up or down), key support/resistance levels, popular moving averages (200 & 50 SMA), candlestick pattern, etc.

1 Like

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 12:59pm On Jul 23, 2020
Jayjaycee18:
Way to go. I'm pulling the trigger anywhere between $1,700 and $1,800, depending on market reaction to its 2Q2020 earnings report. I'm certainly not waiting for it to get to $2,000. Tesla is highly volatile and one can always buy lower at price dips.

Tesla might do a whipsaw. Many seem to expect a linear rise to $2000 but there was a lot of selling when it spiked to $1800 intraday.

1 Like

Politics / Re: Student Who Created Jonathan Parody Twitter Account Detained For 54 Days by 4Play(m): 4:38pm On Jul 17, 2020
Abuse of power by the police. The twitter profile is clearly not GEJ's as he makes it explicit that it's not him. Had he not done so and used it to solicit for business, then there would be a case to answer.

7 Likes

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2020
sonnie10:
Why are Airlines stocks going up ? Nothing has really changed in terms of travel restrictions and the pandemic.

I think Moderna's positive vaccine trials is boosting so called cyclical stocks: airlines, cruiselines, hotels, cinemas, apparel, etc.

These stocks have suffered immensely due to the pandemic so any suggestion of progress on the vaccine front boosts them.

2 Likes

Crime / Re: False Rape Allegation Should Also Be Punishable (opinion) by 4Play(m): 8:46pm On Jul 11, 2020
As most rapes occur in private settings with no eyewitnesses, it's inevitable that there are incidents of false accusations. But the reality is that false accusations are relatively few compared to the true incidents of rape (most of which is unreported).

This obsession with the idea that women are going around falsely alleging rape and that this should be given as equal an emphasis as we give to tackling rape reflects a culture of denial that you get in a society where sexual violence is rampant.

Although it's very difficult to ascertain, there have been many recent studies of false rape accusations which suggest false accusations constitute up to 10% at most of reported rapes, some suggest as low as 1-2%. Admittedly, these studies are in the west but there is no reason to believe Nigerian women are more inclined to lie about rape given a cultural context where the menfolk are more interested in accusing every female alleged rape victim of being a liar.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Politics / Re: FG Spent N1.25trn On Debt Service In 5 Months by 4Play(m): 9:07am On Jul 11, 2020
We were screaming in July 2015 when total debt was N12 trillion not knowing we will almost triple the figure in 5 years:

LAGOS — Nigeria’s total internal and external debt stock stood at N12.06 trillion or $63.5 billion as at the end of March this year, up from N11.2 trillion or $67.726 billion in December 2014 according to figure released by the Debt Management Office (DMO) yesterday.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/n12trn-debt-profile-worsens-nigerias-woes/

1 Like

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 11:04pm On Jul 10, 2020
OakPearl:

Your village people try for you na.

What of me wey village people push to offload my Tesla at $813 on May 20th
That's a whopping $700/share forfeited as of today's price of $1,500+! grin grin grin
I dey laugh but no be laughing matter oh. cheesy

But seriously, no one can time the market. That's the way it is.
We move.

2 of the biggest regrets are when you sell too early and when you're waiting for a "pullback" to buy and the pullback never happens as you watch the stock accelerate higher.

I had been watching Tesla in 2019 - following the debate on it when the stock price was going sideways for months. I remember coming back from Nigeria and seeing, in early December 2019, the breakout from consolidation I had been waiting for as it hit $400 but I decided to wait for a pull back. The bloody stock didn't look back and was close to $900 by February 2020 before covid-19 knocked it down giving me another buying opportunity which, of course, I didn't take! Considering I was in my village last year, this is definitely the fault of my village people. The lesson here is that if you're convinced a stock is moving higher, don't wait for the ideal entry.

The main fear is buying Tesla and seeing it collapse as it's priced for perfection. But it's still definitely something short-term traders can buy for a run up toward $2k.

Some other short-term plays not mentioned here, pardon me if I have missed it, are Draftking (DKNG) and Plugpower (PLUG). The latter is a lot more risky as it's run quite a bit but it's worth having a look for those who can afford to take the risk.

4 Likes 1 Share

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2020
OakPearl:

Today's leading companies were totally under the radar a couple of years ago. Just for example, today's Tesla of $1,208 was trading for just $211 last August; that's less than a year ago!

We are here to conduct due diligence meticulously enough to hopefully pick tomorrow's giants and sit back for a bumper pay.

The problem is very few people, not even professional investors, have a chance of knowing beforehand what stocks will prove to be a success. There is a lot of hindsight bias1 amongst investors - we look at a stock that exploded and conclude that we ''shoulda woulda coulda'' bought the stock and held on till we reaped loadsa money and that we will find the next bonanza stock(s). The reality is most stocks are duds over the long run so your chances of finding that great stock and holding on to it, as it rises and falls, are fairly slim.

And it's not even about buying a growth industry stock like Tesla and NKLA with electric vehicles or Beyond Meat with artificial meat. An industry can be a success but most of the individual stocks within that industry can be widow makers. Think of the tech bubble that started in the 1990s and remember names like Blackberry, Motorola, Nokia, Yahoo.com, Palm (of Palm Pilot fame) etc. These companies operated in industries that were eventual successes but the stocks, like most stocks, proved disappointing.

So, once again, my message is investors shouldn't overestimate their stock picking skills or fall foul of overconfidence bias.2 Obviously, in this environment where stocks are generally on the rise, most people might start letting their guards down. My stance remains that most people are safer just choosing indices. If you feel you are skilled enough to pick the right stocks, be prepared to lose or to experience average/mediocre returns over the long-run (over the course of years). Yes, there are anecdotes about investors/traders experiencing stunning successes but, like a lot of things in life, those are the exceptional cases and not the norm. Preaching moderation/caution to people on this thread might feel like preaching chastity to punters in a brothel but someone has to do it!

Hindsight bias is a psychological phenomenon that allows people to convince themselves after an event that they had accurately predicted it before it happened. This can lead people to conclude that they can accurately predict other events. Hindsight bias is studied in behavioral economics because it is a common failing of individual investors.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/hindsight-bias.asp

Overconfidence Bias in Finance and Investing
Understanding where the markets are going and so on is one of the most important skills in finance and investing. In this industry, most market analysts consider themselves to be above average in their analytical skills. However, it is obviously a statistical impossibility for most analysts to be above the average analyst.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/trading-investing/overconfidence-bias/

4 Likes 1 Share

Crime / Re: Dr. Olufunmilayo Sues Bola Aseyan, Demands £10,000 For Damages by 4Play(m): 12:27pm On Jul 03, 2020
eyinjuege:

Wrong
Only about 90% of rape cases are reported
And just about 5-10% of rape cases are false accusations
Rapists abound very much in our society, unless we want to lie and pretend
Infact, 1. all cult boys are rapists, and we know how rampant cultism is in our society, from secondary, university, even artisans on the streets have joined one cult or the other 2. Other than cultists, a lot of people in positions of power have been known to abuse such positions eg clergy, bosses of maids, fathers, step fathers etc
So because we have some people falsely accusing young men because of a relationship gone bad doesn't mean the number of rapists in our society is low, same thing as the fact that we're not testing a lot of people for covid doesn't mean it's low or not being spread.

I know we will get to that day in Nigeria where all rape cases will be fully scrutinised and enough support given to victims, and rapists will face the law. Just a matter of time, we will start doing rape forensics in Nigeria and women who have been violated will have evidence there and then to save for future persecutions of rapists

It's common sense. Most women have nothing to gain from making rape accusations as they will, irrespective of the credibility of their accusations, receive a backlash. So apart from a rare few bitter women, the mentally unbalanced or opportunists chasing celebrities, the vast majority of accusations are true and only constitute a tip of the iceberg.

2 Likes

Politics / Imported Fuel Dirtier Than Local Fuel by 4Play(m): 12:31pm On Jul 01, 2020
I found this interesting article which claims that the fuel we import into Nigeria is of a lower quality than that produced by illegal refineries in the Niger-Delta

Black market fuel made from stolen oil in rudimentary “bush” refineries hidden deep in the creeks and swamps of the Niger delta is less polluting than the highly toxic diesel and petrol that Europe exports to Nigeria, new laboratory analysis has found.

Shell, Exxon, Chevron and other major oil companies extract and export up to 2m barrels a day of high quality, low sulphur “Bonny Light” crude from the Niger delta. But very little of this oil is refined in the country because its four state-owned refineries are dysfunctional or have closed.

Instead, international dealers export to Nigeria around 900,000 tonnes a year of low-grade, “dirty” fuel, made in Dutch, Belgian and other European refineries, and hundreds of small-scale artisanal refineries produce large quantities of illegal fuel from oil stolen from the network of oil pipelines that criss-cross the Niger delta.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/jul/01/petrol-sold-to-nigeria-from-europe-dirtier-than-black-market-bush-fuel
Education / Re: Bowen University Sacks 100 Workers by 4Play(m): 12:15pm On Jun 25, 2020
This is why I thought the lockdowns in Nigeria are counterproductive. The economic hardship it will cause will be severe, longlasting and devastating on people's health. In turn, the impact of the lockdown on the spread of coronavirus will be negligible.

2 Likes

Education / Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by 4Play(m): 7:32pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:
First black/African man at Oxford = Emeka Ojukwu

First balck man in Eton College = Dilibe Onyeama.

Conclusion = IGBO AMAKA. Putting Nigeria and africa on the map since 1845.

Mod, do the needed. The world need to know.

See below:

But when the time came, Onyeama failed the entrance exams. Another Nigerian boy, Tokunbo Akintola, thus became the first black student in Eton, attracting global media attention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53062502

2 Likes

Investment / Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2020
thesilentone:

This is a flawed argument. If one is interested in buying the index, you might be better off giving your money to the hedge fund manager who will save you the 'stress' of running an account to get the same results. It would be enlightening to the readers if you explained to them how indexes work.

If you don't want to do any research, if you can't be asked to do any due diligence, by all means buy the indexes. You don't even need to read any books, just buy the index and expect the overall market returns. Even WB does not buy the index.

Hedge funds won't take money from small investors - this is not a thread that caters to the Dangotes or Otedolas.

The assertion that retail investors - the people on this thread - struggle over the long term when buying individual stocks is so well known that it is odd we are even debating this. No one should be investing in the stock market without being aware of this.

As for Buffett not buying indexes, you seem to miss the point. You buy indexes because you are not Buffett - no one here has his track record no matter how much we congratulate ourselves because of brief successes. By the way, here is Buffet's advice:

Buffett is a master of value investing wherein patience, discipline, and risk aversion are the essential ingredients for success. But he acknowledges that individual stock picking is not for everybody. In fact, most average, long-term investors would benefit from a much simpler strategy, he says: investing in low-cost index funds.

"My regular recommendation has been a low-cost S&P 500 index fund," Buffett wrote in his 2016 Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder letter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/warren-buffett-recommends-index-funds-for-most-investors

I worry, knowing Nigerians' penchant for get-rich-quick schemes, that many will see the stock market as a route to riches, like the BetNaija trend, and invest in an aggressive style. We've already seen the chap from Trove attacked by an investor who lost money and it was interesting the comments he made about the investing style of many, I assume his clients.

If we glamourise investing, most people here will suffer in a country where many are not financially buoyant. We have to acknowledge it is tough for retail investors and that the evidence supports this.

My view is that novices should avoid stocks, many experts would even say all retail investors should avoid individual stocks but I recognise that you can become pretty good at investing with good education on it. Arguably, part of acquiring an education is by experience in buying stocks but if you go down this route, think of your investment fund as tuition fees and only do it with money you can afford to lose.

PS: I have already mentioned in my earlier post what indexes an investor can buy. There are a lot more and I am a bit wary of people wanting to be spoonfed with names of what to buy. It's up to each interested person to investigate what index funds would be appropriate and what is available on the platforms they are using.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (of 278 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.