Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,506 members, 7,958,536 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:39 PM

19naia's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 19naia's Profile / 19naia's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (of 44 pages)

Business / Re: CBN Forex Policy: Local Manufacturers Happy As Production And Sales Leap By 50% by 19naia(m): 3:34pm On Jan 25, 2016
Nigeria needs imports to expand its domestic production. The most robust economies rely on imports of raw materials and accessories for their domestic manufactured products. They even go so far as to export their domestic production facilities.
The quality of production and services in Nigeria will always depend on imports. China and USA deoend heavily on imports for domestic production.
Nigeria cannot possibly domestically produce all the varieties of raw materials and technology to make a world class (robust and advanced) domestic production sector.

I know how to make devices with raw materials available in Nigeria, but i am still bound to import the accessories used in electronic control to manage the device safely. I have to import because the PWM controller is not manufactured in nigeria and if it were, it would still rely on its own high tech parts being imported.

Imports are still happening in Naija but under tightening flow. Import is as essential as domestic production, but no need for a robust import market if it simply replaces even the simplest things that can be produced locally. Why buy import rice if local production is cheaper, quality and available?
Its better to have focused on production sector right from the start rather than international currency flow manipulation. Because local production needs imports to support its advancments in every way. Expensive imports can lead to expensive domestic product if raw materials and accessories have to be imported.

Also, once the domestic production reaches a saturation level, it quickly plateaus and prices have to drop due to excess supply or exportation can happen to intervene. Exportation intervention would be the best to take domestic production further, but the tightening on international currency flow to manipulate the Naira value to a high level, will bring down the potential for export opportunities.
Its best to just leave the currency flow alone at some point and focus on production. When the currency is at its lowest, is the best time to invest heavily in domestic production for export because the price will be attractive to foriegn buyers.
This currency manipulation move that restricts international flow is showing benefits in local production, but it is taking away from the left hand to put in the right hand. Taking away from export potential and giving it to local consumption. The real growth to strive for in economy is export markets. The local production will reach a plateau set by the consumption limits of the domestic population and their habits. Exports can enter markets much larger than Naija domestic market.

There is economic hope though because Nigeria has an ace in its hand if it uses it well. Oil. Oil is a dimming prospect at this time, but refined petroleum products in Africa are the hot commodity and Nigeria will easily have huge export opportunities in Africa if Nigeria would simply focus seriously on domestic production of the most demanded products.
There is concern about Nigerias production overall because Nigeria seems to have a very difficult time sustaining production of electricity supply which is the common denominator for productivity among every productive nation.
The major road block is electricity supply and when that is solved, it will be the feasibility proof for and productivity ambitions Nigeria follows. Oh, we havent even metioned water supply. There is still work to be done before we parade success. Stability/sustainability requires a bit more than shifting things from the left hand to the right hand without adding to the whole from elswhere.

1 Like

Business / Re: Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers by 19naia(m): 1:16am On Jan 08, 2016
Dont fall for the hype of Netflix. Its something you can enjoy for a 1 month subscription and watch their assortment, but dont be misled into renewing the subscriptin into further months or perpetually unless you are a slow veiwer who has the money to spare.

They dont update their assortment often enough to inerest daily viewers. Netflix, HBO now, and others are all the same.
I subscribe once every 6 months ,and even so they dont update much at all even after 6 months.

2 Likes

Education / Re: Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. by 19naia(m): 5:02pm On Dec 30, 2015
If the naira value falls to 500 to $1, it will regulate itself. Peoples naira will not reach far abroad and they will stay in Nigeria with their money and it will self balance. Same end result as the ban on ATM use abroad with naira bank cards. Nigeria depends so much on foreign influx right down to the very english spoken in the land. Nigeria will turn into a rural land of nomadic cow herders like buhari is, if foreign influence is restricted by restricting peoples ability to buy abroad.
If naira value falls, the embezzlers will just embezzle more. I think the restrictions of Naira leaving nigeria is more useful in controlling the embezellers in cheif who theif am carry go abroad.
The common man and woman spending abroad sees benefit especially when they bring back invaluable education and other life enhancing resources to Nigeria. Its still possible to keep nigeria and its naira all to itself, nothing out and nothing in, and nigeria still plumet because of its own cultured mentality that seems to do nigeria in no matter what the international influence or currency status of the day. The problems is within, start fixing it from within. Keeping all the naira in ,right where the problem is, wont help much until the market culture of nigeria changes. Its not possible to get a straight read on a price of anything in nigeria because every one is a price gouger at heart, and that is the root of the instabilty of the value of the naira. Go out and see the instability of prices quoted at the market daily. People have to fight tooth and nail just not to get overcharged at every point of sale, and so the naira loses its stability.
Real estate Price gouging collapsed the world market back in 2007, and it collapses nigerian economy every day the same. How can you steadily move forward in constant inflation to gouge profit while expecting to move forward in bringing naira value up? The higher your prices go beyond international equity, the lower your currency value will fall. People want to sell nigeria for twice the price and half the quality of america but dont want their currency to be twice as low in value as american $. Deceiving themselves in blind glut for gain and status.
Engage in fair market practices, higher wages and regulated price controls on all goods and services and watch the naira stabilize and follow uo with GDP growth which will further strengthen the Naira.
Any attempt outside of this, is just cheating the truth and futile manipulation because the country is so steep in a culture of coruption and extortion, no one really understands that they are doing any thing wrong anymore or contributing to the problem by being an active part of the prevailing extorting market culture. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Nairaland / General / Where To Buy Potash Or Lye by 19naia(m): 3:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
Potash (pottasium hydroxide) and Lye (sodium hydroxide) are used in soap making as well as catalyst in water solutions for electrolysis..

I want to buy the non powder form of these which usually come in small beads or large flakes to prevent powder dust from getting airborne..
I want to know where i can buy in Nigeria and hiw much for a 2kg portion. I do not need commercial/industrial quantities, just a few kgs at a time.

Thanks to all replies and seasons greetings of glad tidings to all. grin
Business / Re: Naira "Strenghtens" To N270/Dollar At Parallel Market by 19naia(m): 2:03am On Dec 19, 2015
The dollar is strengthening and is having an effect on the naira exchange rate as well as exchange rates of currencies around the world. The dollar strengthening is in very small increments so far but it is a steady growth.
Nairaland / General / Re: Looking For Stainless Steel Sheets by 19naia(m): 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2015
obua:
You can buy in Orile steel market in lagos. Stainless steel goes for 15 to 32 k for a 1mm sheet.

Thanks much friend. grin I am very happy to know. Do you know the area dimensions of the sheets for 15k-32k..
Nairaland / General / Looking For Stainless Steel Sheets by 19naia(m): 3:13pm On Dec 17, 2015
Where in Nigeria can one buy sheets of stainless steel (316L grade of steel is prefered)?
The sheets have to be stainless steel and around the thickness used to make old water tanks. Those water tanks used Galvanized steel or other types of metal alloys, i dont need info about those as they are easy to find.
Please let me know also about the price per sheet of any given dimensions... Thank you.
Properties / Re: Which Of These Gasoline Generators Is Better For Domestic Purposes by 19naia(m): 10:37pm On Dec 04, 2015
[quote author=shreck post=40666120][/quote]

I searched in Nigeria and they are not easy to find if they even sell there. They sell in UK for 240 volt version and in USA for 120 volt version.
My best guess is to search outside Nigeria and import it yourself. Easy to find and buy here in USA and here we have constant electricity.
Its very expensive so maybe thats why they dont get stocked in Nigeria where they will not be afforded. People prefer to buy the big enclosed diesel generators when they have that knd of money, and those big expensive diesel generators are very reliable and long lasting. The big diesel can run 24 hours a day for months without any need to service it.
Good luck searching and let me know if you find where to buy in Naija. grin

2 Likes

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 1:09pm On Dec 02, 2015
road scenes from Nigeria and a beach scene from Togo/Ghana Border. The cow massacre was by a luxury passneger bus, 8 out of ten cows dead and two injured of their feet along a highway in Osun state or maybe Oyo. The over turned trailer looks like grain spilled along the highway into lagos well after Sagamu
Dont worry, i never took photos of the generous supply of human bodies in the roads travelling from ondo state to Imo state. at least 4 corpses and 2 people laid out in fresh accidents possibly not dead, all in a 7 hour trip in one day. shocked
Nigerian roads stand out in stark contrast to the roads in benin, togo, ghana and ivory coast. Never saw one dead body in the roads of those countries and their road surface quality is very good. Traffic courtesy is also much better there than in Nigeria.
Even dangote has left his mark on Nigerian roads at some point in time. Actually saw more than one dangote truck destroyed and left by the road side in Nigeria.

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 1:01pm On Dec 02, 2015
chukxie:
Nice! The Idi Roko road is a complete eyesore.
Yes that road again is an eye sore and very rough with contours and pot holes. Some photos here of Abidjan Ivory coast.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2015
good4all:
Beautiful can you post more

Accra Ghana

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 10:13pm On Nov 30, 2015
Togo

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 10:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
Porto Novo and Cotonou.

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2015
more from along the way in Ogun state to cross the border into Benin republic. Dirt road back route to idi iroko border, Abeokuta city, Ewe koro cement factory and then the brick paved roads in PortoNovo Benin republic.

Travel / Re: Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 9:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
more from southwest Nigeria

Travel / Travels Around West Africa by 19naia(m): 9:32pm On Nov 30, 2015
Pics.
Around Nigeria by road and then through to Ivory coast by road from nigeria with stay overs in every country along the way.q

Travel / deleted by 19naia(m): 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
Cant get pictures to load to make this thread work. Will have to get back to it when i find a place with functional internet connection. cry
Health / Re: The Essence Of Deworming Your Child. by 19naia(m): 1:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
tobimillar:
please where can I get wormwood in Nigeria

Not sure but you can have my bottle of it as well as grapefruit seed extract i brought here. What city are you in Nigeria?
They sell online in USA but not sure if they will ship here
Education / Re: Photos Of A Snake Killed In FUPRE Campus by 19naia(m): 10:34am On Sep 24, 2015
looks much like black mamba. They raise up like cobras and hiss. Also they can flare their necks slightly like a cobras hood.
Maybe this is a mamba ? The head is disfigured/butchered, or i would know for sure by the head features.
Mambas have black interiors of their mouths. Open d mouth make we see if ee black inside.
Crime / Re: Woman Bites Off , Swallows Neighbour’s Tip (Pictured) by 19naia(m): 11:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
Ehenn! Zombie Apocalpse has begun. Corporate toxic waste and a experiments have gone out of hand, and have reached africa in her eager bid to join the "developed world". Now fate will spread with each and every bite until every last one of us is a brainless blood thirsty goul. shocked
Celebrities / Re: Imeh Bishop Gets Really Big Scared On Board Arik Flight To Uyo. by 19naia(m): 12:34pm On Sep 06, 2015
They should just paint their fleet yellow, draw a black line along it's sides and paint a new company title~ "Danfo". grin I will ride VW Danfo on my own trip to Uyo.
Education / Re: DELSU Finds ‘exam Expo’ In Student’s Private Part by 19naia(m): 11:13am On Aug 31, 2015
The real shocker is : What were they doing down in a female private part in the first place? What were they looking for down there? Or is it now casual school policy to go rummaging through female private parts as they come to sit for exams? shocked
Pets / Re: A Tale Of How You Were Chased By A Dog by 19naia(m): 11:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
I was chased by a black mamba.
Travel / Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by 19naia(m): 12:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
You want a "bigger city". As far as bigger cities go with lots of Nigerians, Houston is the best you can get.
If you are set on a big city, then no need worry about pros or cons of houston because it will only get worse when you consider other cities such as New york. Houston is as good as it gets for a Big city with lots of Nigerians.
Nigerians are everywhere, but Houston is a major hub for Nigerians along with NewYork and Maryland state. Maryland is worth considering but it is not as big as texas. Texas will offer more affordability than Maryland if you go looking for affordability.

Your two best options are to not look for a bigger city with lots of Nigerians, or go to Houston.
The great thing about texas is that it is huge, and when the not so great things find you, there is a lot of space to readjust or isolate from trouble.

3 Likes 1 Share

Business / Re: Naira Needs Devaluation - Segun Agbaje, GTBank CEO by 19naia(m): 12:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
Nigeria is overpriced. And that is why the Naira is not able to keep a good value.

The whole world of impressive countries from US to Europe and oil rich Arab states, have a quality, standard and stability of living, all with a cost of living that to rival Nigeria when you factor "Quality of life to Cost of living".

The very act of Falling oil prices is a blessing to the world in terms of their "cost of Living", That is why oil prices are being brought down. Cost of living is an important issue to developed nations.

Nigeria needs to focus on its quality and cost ratio, and that includes focusing on at home production and raised self sufficiency along side improving social infrastructure and competency.

The Issue of focusing on "the money" and its value is also the root of coruption where people just focus on raking in money by any means without concern for its effect on the nation and the economy as a whole. The focus on money and increasing the value while neglecting the real qualities that will give money value and stability, is the problem with the economic culture of Nigeria. Nothing is more important than the productivity and quality of life in Nigeria. Money is just a cheap commodity with no real value. Think of it this way: If every river dried up and every well and every farm dried up along with every forest cut down to dust and all that was left was desert sand with the biggest heap of cash on earth, What will you drink, eat and live by? You can eat or drink cash.
The answer is exactly why money is the cheapest most expendable commodity on earth. Life will go on without money, but life will fail without the things we use money to buy.

Let the money go and focus on a good farm, a good water production, good roads, good power production, good education supply and on and on.
Stability of currency will come when the things that back/empower the currency are reinforced and grown.

4 Likes

Travel / Re: 7 Reasons To Return Home To Nigeria by 19naia(m): 3:45pm On Aug 27, 2015
Yes, work for Nigerian government and never be sure when your salary will be paid.

Own a house in Nigeria and never be sure when someone will bribe to have the title stricken out of your name and into their name so that they can sell it out from under you without you knowing. Title claims in many other countries are very well secured for the legal title holder.

Unsafe Trailers trucks litter the road ways everywhere in Nigeria and are always making for an even more gruesome deadly traffic experience.

The cost of being robbed and extorted for money by officers of governance, will prove to see Nigeria be a very costly place to live live.

Diseases and infections that can kill are readily available and the medical competence to help the situation, is not so readily available.
"He was rejected at several hospitals before being accepted at the one which declared him dead from causes that could have been averted would he have gotten care sooner".

Ammenities and utilities are not stable in their availability. But Nigeria is a great place the live if you are commited to a third world standard of living. Even living in The best Estates will be just a luxury prison surrounded by in escapable amassings of third world squalor and dysfunction.

People saying these things about Nigeria have never been somewhere where hot and cold water always flow from the tap with never a need for water storage tanks or wells with pumps. Never been where electricity always flows where its only tales of old men that recount one time decades ago when the electricty went out through out the area or entire city.

Yes I have a family member who is permanently damaged from a medical conditon that was completely treatable if there were competent medical people around to recognize the condition soon enough. They wandered the entire country for the best doctors only to be told too late that they cannot help. He was saved by doctors in USA but only after the delays in Nigeria allowed the condition to permanently damage his abilities.

Yes i was of a household with education being put formost and still we suffered hunger worse that the uneducated bush farmers. All because salaries for hard work were never paid.

Malaria gripped myself so many times and with money so scarce, it was a very close call for the Grave. Leaving Nigeria was the solution that brought permanent relief to every problem on the list. Having a Masters degree from USA did not help in Nigeria one bit.

Nigeria is now only a place to visit for me, and i do so with only one foot in the door and by not depending on Nigeria for making a living.
Even the so called hospitable family culture there, they are the ones we sent things to from USA to help them, and let them live in our personal house there while they had their own house elswhere. They were free to live there or use it to earn rent and so on.
Instead, they bribed the title claim into their name while we were away and sold the house. We found the house later occupied by strangers who had bought it behind our backs and some how had their name put on the title without our consent or knowing.

Just be Aware of all the things not being said about Nigeria and its heapings of dysfunction. Insecurity there ranges from Terorism/kidnapping and all the way to banking insecurity and ownership title insecurities. Nothing is safe In Nigeria until you are rich enough to go live in USA or Europe. And by the time i could afford that, that is exactly what i did.
I no fear poverty in USA like the deadly thing it was for me in Nigeria.
There is what they say about Nigeria and then there is the reality of what Nigeria has made of many people in person. Not often the best life for people.

Even the Politicians keep their big embezzled money in Foriegn banks as well as use foriegn hospitals. They fear for their well being and survival when in and of Nigeria, yet they are the leaders who have the state in their hands. That is a sign for the open eyes to see. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Education / Re: See The Snake That Was Killed This Night In My Lodge by 19naia(m): 1:52am On Aug 27, 2015
Another very deadly Gaboon Viper. Considered endangered
Politics / Re: I Want To Unite South East Leaders With Buhari – Okorocha by 19naia(m): 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
Has he united the civil service workers in his state with their long overdue salaries?
Just wondering about his track record on uniting people with what is most important for their well being as a fruit of their hard labour for the general public of the state.

9 Likes 1 Share

Business / Re: MTN Scraps Early Debt Payment Amid Currency Shortage by 19naia(m): 12:33pm On Aug 25, 2015
Whenever currency flow is restricted, it restricts the flow of transactions and thus the flow of commerce and the movement of the economy.

Restricted currency flow is equal to restricting the economy and soon the decline of commerce follows until the entire market feels a slump, devaluation of the stock markets and decline of overall economic strength of the nation.

As a final result of market/economic slump, the Naira value slump follows.
This is how currency restrictions have a long term effect of devaluing the Naira.
I know the plan all along was to coax the Naira up by holding down the dollar, but only a test in futility, because the dollar is tied to the biggest flow of commerce in the world. Restricting the dollar restricts access to the biggest flow of commerce in the world.
The solution is in manipulating production as well as quality and economy supporting infrastructure. Why buy gasoline instead of local refining? Local car production? and the list goes on for things that can lift uo the Naira without holding down the dollar.
Slowly but surely. The only sure quick way to Make 1 naira equal to 1 dollar, is the full dollarization of the nigerian economy.

Maybe even the british pound would work better by seeing the naira value rise above the dollar.

The Naira value in Nigeria is not as important as the economic strength and stability. The naira value games being played recently are not good for the strength and stability of the economy.
Most Nigerians never transact in dollars and never notice much about the naira value compared to dollars. What they do notice is when the economy takes a hit because of currency flow manipulations.
One transaction of revenues is stalled and then another and another until it all accumulates into a stagnation of areas of commerce flow that gets passed down the chain to the common man who never transacted with a $ ever in his life.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Debit Card Withdrawals Outside Nigeria by 19naia(m): 12:25am On Aug 22, 2015
On international withdrawals, you are paying a fee to your home bank and that is often steeper than the usual domestic withdrawal fees.
You are also possibly paying fees for conversion if not a total percentage of transaction in fees for conversion and withdrawals ,and then an added ATM fee charged by the ATM you are using.
The steep fee may be from the foreign bank whose ATM you are using.
Travel / Re: Nigerian Citizenship For An African American by 19naia(m): 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2015
You need a parent or grand parent who is Nigerian by birth and ancestry. It doesnt matter if you were born in nigeria or not.

Also, The president or top leadership of Nigeria can grant you Citizenship out of their own hospitality and it doesnt always have to include your knowledge of the language and cultures. But it does require your respect for Nigeria (btw-Many born and raised Nigerians try hard to respect nigeria and they fail, not easy).

The immigration and passport issue department is directly under the top leadership of Nigeria and if they grant you a passport in what most people are calling substandard ways, just remember there is a law that allows the top leadership of Nigeria to grant you or anybody a passport. The passport office is working on behalf of the top leadership of the nation and any citizenship they grant, is within their right to do so.
The passport bears the seal of the state of Nigeria under the authority of its highest leadership. That means the highest authority in the matter for Nigeria, granted it to you as they have the right to grant to any one they like.
The only legal matter in the issue is that you use your legal name, date and place of birth,and get an authentic passport from the legal appointed issuer for nigerian passport.

Another way to help your cause is to visit Nigeria and find a local government area willing to officially claim you. If you trace your heritage back to a family in Nigeria, then find that family local government area and petition for a letter from them claiming you as one of their own and granting you identification card. Get a Guarantors form and find a guarantor in the local government area and then go to the Passport office after applying for the passport, and go with enough money to pay the required fees.
If you are not willing to visit Nigeria and do they LGA and guarantor part, then you dont need a Nigerian passport anyway.
Go visit with your US passport with NG tourist/visitor visa and it will all work out unless you come to other senses and realize you never want to try and be in nor of Nigeria again. Plenty born and raised Nigerians who dont want to be in and of Nigeria ever again.
Travel / Re: How much is switzerland visa and flight ticket money in nigeria.. please help by 19naia(m): 2:14pm On Aug 16, 2015
cozybunch:
$790 from Houston to Lagos in summer? Wow thats a give away price. What search engine or travel website do you use?

But good advise from you to the young man. I think he is not thinking along the line, where you are heading, as asking him to go apply through swiss consulate office

Anyways, good point

Good Luck

I used cheapOair website and searched in june for a flight leaving around September and October. The key was searching 3 months prior to departure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (of 44 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.